Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 557774 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #5970 on: July 13, 2013, 04:39:31 pm »

Bah. Women back in my home village of Snårłšbarførdinglisstenzçhudentop could be beheaded all day and suffer no harm. What weak type of women do you have in these lands that they can't survive being beheaded?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5971 on: July 13, 2013, 05:10:56 pm »

Sigmund, confused, answered:

-Umm, normal women?

((and I'm going to stop this so that Harry can write the turn, hehe))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5972 on: July 13, 2013, 05:13:17 pm »

Bah. Pansies, said the former Viking, now merely a head talking through a catfish.
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5973 on: July 13, 2013, 07:22:57 pm »

In the house of a smoking herbalist...

Kevin, having received reasonably good directions, goes on to leave politely.

"Well, then I should get going. In which direction on the road is the nearest town?"

"South, I believe."

South, the most pleasant of directions! So it shall be!

"It was a pleasure meeting you, herbalist!" Kevin declares, then heads out, finding a... well, maybe not what he would call a trail. He's sure it was a perfectly nice trail once, but really, now it's just a stretch of land where the undergrowth is a bit less thick. Nevertheless, he bravely follows it until he reaches... well, probably not a road. But certainly a very proud and dignified-looking corpse of one. Though the cobblestones are mostly visible, they are rather sparse, some of them clearly having given in to merciless grip of violent nature.

Still, Kevin heads south. In only two or so hours, he reaches something! It looks like a town! It's not too large - certainly not as big as Shriekpot by a long shot, but far larger than a village. In the middle of it he sees a rather large temple, presumably to one of the Five Gods, though it's difficult to say more from here.

On the shrieking ship of Shriekpot...

Sigmund, seeing how he's got exposition to give elsewhere later, decides to let Scott handle the treading of familiar ground.

"I think that you are the one who knows more about that subject. I would answer Craig's question, but Niklas is still roaming around the ship, possibly with his usual murderous intentions."

He then quickly leaves, allowing Scott to successfully take over. As Sigmund goes downstairs, he hopes he won't have to regret this decision.

Back on the deck, though, Scott accepts his solemn duty with something resembling a reasonable degree of competence!

"I will keep it succinct, We came to buy a boat. Some bastards posing themselves as the mages demanded coins for passes...leading to us nearly getting slaughtered by the owners. So we sought them out, raided an inn in the trade district, killing many of the guards, but we were laid low and barely survived. The Guards seem to have fled town, and the bastard is holed up in his house."

"Sounds like a terrible villain or villains indeed. So do you still seek revenge against this con artist?"

Scott silently looks at Tailor Craig.

"You are a tailor, right? Can you repair my clothes?"

"Certainly. You need but hand them to me, I'll have them fixed in... wait, you mean the ones on you? Probably not - they're burnt all over, and if I tried to patch them, they would end up more like a bunch of patches than a set of clothing. It would be rather inefficient to do so, that's what I'm trying to say here. As an alternative, I can offer you a whole new suit of clothing if you allow me two days of time, as well as a bit of time to measure you. Or I could send you to the Most Fabulous of Realms, which will be much faster, but has proven to be... unpredictable, to be honest."

Hm. That's an interesting choice he offers. The people still on deck spend a moment on contemplation until Morton breaks the silence.

"Sir Scott Yaleson, how did the night fair you? Hopefully well, yes?"

Scott doesn't immediately answer, his mind occupied with the finding of the perfect expletives to characterize his experiences with. Morton, always the considerate type, lets him have a moment to himself and talks to Craig instead.

"These certainly are interesting times, no? To think, just a few days ago I was a butler in another's employ. On another note however, I must profess myself curious good Tailor Craig, did you not imply you were from Emlocke? Whatever happened to cause you to leave? Something about it... exploding, was it?"

"I did live in Emlocke for quite a while - good place. Great place, really. Friendly locals, low rents, generally high standard of living. Purely lifemage-based healthcare. The Black Circle of Magic know how to run their locales for the benefit of the people, must say. Probably because they have no use for money, I suppose. There is the hazard of getting a terrible apprentice mage to help you with something, but otherwise things were peachy. However, there is the problem of one of the heads of the Circle dying, which sometimes happens, though altogether more rarely than it used to. When it does, we are forced to vacate our dwellings to prepare for the horde of new candidates that will arrive and duke it out until only one survives. Barbaric, yes, but such is tradition. And because of it, I am now homeless. This time, the destruction was particularly bad - it upset the earth and shifted stone, and Emlocke was practically destroyed in the quakes and such. So I wandered off and reached this place, you see. Not a bad place, certainly, but I do miss my little house and workshop occasionally."

Oh, those silly mages and their silly ascension rituals.

Below decks, though a drama of a different sort unfolds, as Sigmund arrives to find Niklas face to face with the Artiste! Not missing the slightest inkling of a beat, he explains the facts of the matter.

"Good morning, master. I see that you are finally awake. I'm new Sigmund. I had an encounter with the Aspect of Appeal, who made me what I am now. Morton and Kevin also went through the same process, but the results were different. Morton has been transformed into a desk, and Kevin has yet to appear. Anyway, I see that you found Niklas. He was rendered in that state after a confuse episode which involved Erin and Mark. Apparently, Erin made Niklas' body disappear, and Mark attached his head to this kind of catfish. It wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't that Niklas wants revenge. Not that he can achieve it in such a state, but before he can be fixed, I think that you should grudge the problem between the cook and the mage," he tells the Artiste, sighing at the end.

"Also, the demonologist who sent us to meet the Aspect of Appeal wants to meet you, he is at the gangplank. I think that he could be a nice addition to our group."

The Artiste nods, though the last statement clearly troubles him slightly. Before he can reply, though, Niklas intervenes! He isn't about to let his name get dragged about in the dirt!

"Revenge, Sigmund? No, forsooth - I merely desire recompense against the Mage for robbing me of my weapons. In this case, I intend to steal her magic once I find a way how. Maybe then I'll kill her for fun, but the point will be moot; I'll have my weapons back in done form or another. Also I need a new body. If another one is not taken, I'll steal hers."

"See? That attitude is clearly not beneficial for our group. I hope you can do something about it."

"I will insult you as well when I get my body back, don't you worry, Sigmund."

"First, you are in no condition to threaten anybody. Second, I'm not against you getting a new body, just against you hurting a valuable member of our group such as Erin. And third, I would actually help you get a new body, or at least help mark to do so, if it wasn't for your tendency to solve things by murdering people. It can be the solution to some problems, I admit that, but sometimes it can be detrimental for your body integrity, remember what happened at the Ulubelle?"

"No, I do not. Anyhow, I'm not going to murder her! That would be too quick. I'm just going to cut off her head and take her body, then give it back after a while."

"In the Ulubelle, your arms were reduced to a pulp because you tried to murder everyone and ended up fighting armored guards with kitchen utensils, while you could just ask for the bastard we were looking for. And also, I don't know if you realize that not everyone is undead, but Erin clearly isn't, so she wouldn't survive getting her head separated from her body. Now, please, we are all under the orders of the same master, can't we, at least, not fight between us?"

"Bah. Women back in my home village of Snårłšbarførdinglisstenzçhudentop could be beheaded all day and suffer no harm. What weak type of women do you have in these lands that they can't survive being beheaded?"

"Um, normal women?"

"Bah. Pansies."

The Artiste, up until this moment only sagely nodding, now speaks.

"Yes, I do believe I have a solution."

He goes up to Erin's door and knocks. After a few moments, the door opens. Erin stands in the doorframe, fully dressed and looking rather awake.

"Ah, Erin. Good morning, glad to see that you are awake. Come here, I need your expertise for a moment."

"Good mornin' to ya as well. What is it?"

The Artiste leads Erin out and points to Niklas.

"This fellow holds you responsible for taking away his weapons and body."

"That was kinda accidental. And entirely preventable, too. This fella kept botherin' me to practice magic on him despite the fact that I was, well, half-asleep. This doesn't bode well for doin' magic, ya see. Kept bangin' on my door, even."

"Ah, I see. That's good, certainly. Sigmund, be a dear and help us carry our fishy friend to the top deck, will you? You help us out as well, Erin. We're all going that way, anyway."

Erin shrugs and goes up to Niklas' side along with the Artiste, Erin grabbing the thing by the tail, the Artiste by the head.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5975 on: July 14, 2013, 02:28:46 am »

Niklas suffers the carrying quietly.
Sig! Onol

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5976 on: July 14, 2013, 03:33:43 am »

To ze tailor of tailoriness: "I would rather have another set of clothes."

To morton: "So.....why is a butler like a writing desk? *sniggers* And when they told me that butlers are just another peice of furniture, I didn't expect you to turn out like this! *gaffaw*
Joking aside, you make a rather handsome desk. But you should consider painting on a livery...you are very naked."

He will then repeat his experiences hunting for the scamming fiend.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5977 on: July 14, 2013, 03:51:40 am »

Kevin looks around for signs or a map of sorts. If they don't contain directions to Shriekpot, he will knock on the door of one of the houses.
((I'm going to be gone for either 2 weeks or 1 week (1 week from now, that is). If I just stop posting, please default to finding out where Shriekpot is and returning there. (And then finding the ship when I return to Shriekpot))
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 06:09:08 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5978 on: July 14, 2013, 06:00:23 am »

On the shrieking ship of Shriekpot...

Sigmund helps the Artiste and Erin pick up Niklas, and the group carry the large, currently quiet fish back up to the deck, whereupon they set it down right next to the edge of the ship. The Artiste looks at Niklas.

"Sorry, buddy, but as well as you can cook a human being, I simply can't allow you to take revenge against Erin. For one, she has far more uses than you do. Secondly, I do agree that this whole bit with the unfortunate transmutation was an accident. However, since I don't think you'll be able to let it go so easily, I have a good idea on what to do with you! Waste not, want not, you see."

Huh?

"Erin, make Niklas into the very best fish he can be."

"Um... okay."

[Erin magic roll: 2]

Erin looks at Niklas critically, then back at the Artiste.

"That's kind of a very broad term, ya know. Whaddaya need him to do?"

"Swim around, you know. Give warnings. Distract oceanic wildlife."

Erin looks back at Niklas, thinking a moment.

Scott, meanwhile, gives Tailor Craig his answer.

"I would rather have another set of clothes."

"Ah, good choice. I'll measure you momentarily."

He walks up to Scott, retrieving a roll of measuring tape, then starts to quickly determine most of Scott's important dimensions. Scott, meanwhile, proves himself to be the epitome of class once more as he speaks to Morton.

"So... why is a butler like a writing desk? *And when they told me that butlers are just another piece of furniture, I didn't expect you to turn out like this!" he says, first only snickering a little, but breaking into a full guffaw at the end. After a moment of enjoying his own jokes a little too much, he gets slightly more serious.

"Joking aside, you make a rather handsome desk. But you should consider painting on a livery... you are very naked," he tells the desk, imagining what a desk in livery might actually look like for a short moment. Fortunately, he keeps the laughter down this time.

"Anyway, I went and set the Feisty Jelly on fire a little bit, as there was nobody that could help me within. Then I went to the Ulubelle, met this deaf fellow and one of the women working there, she told me that Red-Chested Elron could be found in a flophouse, so I found the guy. He asked me to pay him 10 coppers for information, so I played a little joke on him and sent him here after he pointed me to the dwelling of a man named Purple Pete Petersen. I went to Purple Pete's house and knocked, and the rude fellow didn't even come out and meet me, leaving through some other entrance. Then I tried to set his house on fire as well, but... there was an accident. A seagull flew into me without provocation, making me catch on fire very quickly, which I had to heroically extinguish by jumping into the harbor. Then I came over here. All in all, it's been a frustratingly mediocre night."

He supposes there are more... details he could have added, but he also guesses he shouldn't go overboard too much.

Outside some kind of town...

Kevin sallies forth into the town, looking for any sign of where he is and how to get to Shriekpot.

Okay, so, judging by the signs, this town is called Wellville, Home of the Best Staves in the South. This indicates to Kevin that he is indeed in the south, which means that he hasn't traveled continentally or anything. This is good. Also, in front of the temple he can see a signpost. It says several things. Firstly, it points to the southwest and says "Emlocke, 23 miles". It also points to the northeast, saying "Bromhandel, 57 miles". There is a sign for someplace called Masketown, it's to the northwest and happens to be 33 miles away. Most ominously, there is a sign pointing to the west-southwest, it is labeled only as "Big Trouble, 27 miles".

Hm, that really doesn't tell him where Shriekpot is, so Kevin goes up to a random door and knocks.

Unfortunately, nobody answers. Silly rude people of Wellville.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5979 on: July 14, 2013, 06:11:16 am »

Kevin goes to another door and KNOCKS AGAIN! Meanwhile, he tries to figure out how far Emlocke is from Shriekpot.
((I'm going to be gone for either 2 weeks or 1 week (1 week from now, that is). If I just stop posting, please default to finding out where Shriekpot is and returning there. (And then finding the ship when I return to Shriekpot))

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5980 on: July 14, 2013, 09:20:02 am »

Sigmund told to the Artiste:

-While Erin works here with Niklas, would you want to meet the demonologist? I brought him here just because he would be a nice addition to our group, but I can tell him to leave if you want.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5981 on: July 14, 2013, 11:09:14 am »

To tailor:
"So how long will this take?"
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #5982 on: July 14, 2013, 11:16:56 am »

Morton withstood the jokes with a smi--Well, he's a desk now so he can't exactly smile, so instead he more just didn't do anything. "It is a pleasure to see that you were mostly unharmed by your expedition, Sir Scott Yaleson, and it bore some fruit, that is always good to hear. Our original goal didn't quite go as well as we had hoped, but such is life, no? We met good Tailor Craig here however during our journey, and that more than made up for it in my opinion, yes." The butler momentarily pondered if he was indeed naked, but sufficed that having livery on his current form would look rather peculiar, and that he supposes his finish would stand in for clothing. He'd agree if his finish was removed that he supposes that would make him indecent however, although not in the same way as in his previous form.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5983 on: July 14, 2013, 02:59:27 pm »

Turn me into a fish and I go recruit the Kraken and sink the boat. If you get my body and weapons back I won't seek revenge.
Sig! Onol

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #5984 on: July 14, 2013, 03:46:07 pm »

[So you're saying you don't want to become the aboleth?]
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 719