Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: What has happened when "weed's" been legalised?  (Read 7166 times)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: What has happened when "weed's" been legalised?
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2012, 06:56:28 pm »

Well, if your growing enough to produce that much heat, your either a supplier or smoking 10 joints a day. Either way, stupid.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2012, 07:04:54 pm »

Satellites can pick up the infrared radiation from trying to grow it indoors, and have been used to nab growers in the past.

Of course, they've also accidentally raided people who were doing non-illegal things which generated large amounts of heat. E.G. server farms.
LOOK OUT HE'S GOT A GOOGLE

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2012, 07:48:03 pm »

Well, if your growing enough to produce that much heat, your either a supplier or smoking 10 joints a day. Either way, stupid.

... is ten joints a day a lot?

what is typical for a unemployed due to disability type person for relaxation?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2012, 07:52:17 pm »

Satellites can pick up the infrared radiation from trying to grow it indoors, and have been used to nab growers in the past.

Of course, they've also accidentally raided people who were doing non-illegal things which generated large amounts of heat. E.G. server farms.
LOOK OUT HE'S GOT A GOOGLE

No, I've got a long-term memory of reading news articles.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2012, 07:55:22 pm »

*cough* Fellow was talking about the heat source. Server farm. Google. Oh noes, he's got a google, cuff 'im. Etc.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2012, 07:56:35 pm »

... is ten joints a day a lot?

what is typical for a unemployed due to disability type person for relaxation?
No idea, however it seems a lot, considering how many plants you'd need to grow to sustain that.

2 oz per plant (assuming indoor growing and the rough figure I grabbed off the internet are good)
.5 oz/joint
4 joints a plant
so, 2.5 plants/day
~90 days/plant

So you would need around 230 plants going year round to keep up with that habit. So yes, it's a lot.
Alternatively, buying it, it would run around $400 a day for really shitty weed and $1500 a day for really good stuff.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 07:59:42 pm by Scelly9 »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2012, 08:02:37 pm »

There are certainly people that smoke that many cigarettes per day, legally (and that's far more harmful statistically). So I would posit that, no, it isn't a lot. (And I don't smoke anything)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 08:20:24 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2012, 08:18:21 pm »

My father once was at the point of smoking over two packs of cigarettes a day, which was kind of insane and got expensive fast. Hard to believe he's quit for good now, remembering that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2012, 08:21:03 pm »

Going to go off on a bit of a tangent, but it loops back to the topic.

You could do a similar analysis to determine the amount of food required to feed a chicken to create one store-bought plucked and pre-cleaned chicken, for example, and it would be similarly huge (I have other ambitions than doing that math at the moment), due to the fact that most of the calories an animal takes in are used to sustain their daily activity, rather than stored, and you cannot get anywhere near as much energy out of eating a herbivore as you can out of eating the plants the herbivore ate, if they are edible for you - and the efficiency is even worse if you're eating a carnivore that eats herbivores. (This is basically high school level biology)

The fact is that we're not living in a feudal society where you grow your own plants, have your own animals, and have them graze on your pasture or whatever, and anything you need you grow yourself, and then your feudal lords take most of your food and leave you with enough that you can live in perpetual near-starvation. Instead, we have giant factory farms that grow ludicrous amounts of plants, whether for corn or tobacco or other crops, some of which go to feeding animals that become additional foods (some graze on pastures, but there may not be enough, especially in a drought), so that anyone in a first-world country who can afford it or has government assistance can acquire more food than they could have possibly grown and kept themselves in the old days (in addition to not having to take the time to grow any of it).

Why is marijuana so expensive (compared to, say, cigarettes, even with taxes)*? For one, it can't be readily factory farmed anywhere it is illegal, so there's little to no economy of scale for it except possibly in lawless places or places where it is legal (I suppose, but that just doesn't show up at all in the news here - as though they don't exist) - and there are the costs of avoiding the law, whether it is grown here in secrecy, or shipped in surreptitiously. [I make lots of assumptions in this paragraph! It is chock full of assumptions! Whee.]

* I assume the price has not gone down, at any rate.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 08:26:17 pm by Shadowlord »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2012, 08:22:39 pm »

Dear sweet lord I hate this forum discussing weed. You all need to stop, because, seriously:

2 oz per plant (assuming indoor growing and the rough figure I grabbed off the internet are good)
.5 oz/joint
4 joints a plant
so, 2.5 plants/day
~90 days/plant

Here's a good example. You just said .5 ounces equals a joint. An ounce of pot is roughly a damn Ziplock sandwich baggy, and if you can find me a paper that can roll that much pot you must live in Jamaica or something [hint, I think you mean .5 GRAMS]. Don't take your pot education from the internet kids. The first plant I ever grew with straight dirt got 2 ounces, and this was in the 80's, so your harvest numbers are very much low-balled.

Dunno about intelligence, but I'm fairly sure that weed can make you lazier, and being lazy is worse for success in life than being stupid.

Here's another one. Laziness is intrinsic to people, use of substances or not. I smoke pot almost every day, and when I do I do it in excess since I smoke with my buddys. I'm also an ex-engineer, work out every day, and I'm coming off of my 30's more motivated than ever. You could say that pot causes people to become engineers and motivates people in crisis, then; but that's silliness. I don't claim it does anything of the sort, it's just that people who allow things [pot] to become the excuse that leads to people like you claiming such silliness as fact. Stupid is stupid regardless of intoxicant.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 08:38:13 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2012, 09:44:40 pm »

@Mictlantecuhtli: Lol, those were clearly figures calculated by someone who's never lit up in their life.

Yeah, ask actual people who've smoked pot for rough numbers. It's hell crazy to think that a single person can smoke all the pot off 2.5 plants in a day. That's 5 ounces by that reckoning. Pot can cost around $300 per ounce, so each joint should be ~$150. Which would make it less affordable than cocaine.

It would have probably taken me 3 weeks to smoke an ounce as bongs even when i was hitting it pretty hard. An ounce a month is probably heaps unless you're a totally chronic smoker.

For a full personal supply for 1 person, no more than about half a dozen plants would ever be required. 2-4 plants would probably suffice. My buddy in college had a single plant and it kept 3 of us smoking for a couple of months.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 05:03:56 am by Reelya »

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2012, 10:38:13 pm »

*Headdesk*
Misread grams as ounces. Feel like an idiot now.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2012, 02:40:42 am »

Metric system would have saved all this. Wonder what will be first, metric system standardization in the USA, or legalization in the USA.
Magma is overrated.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2012, 02:43:48 am »

I think metric is already legal in the US.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2012, 02:46:19 am »

Metric system would have saved all this. Wonder what will be first, metric system standardization in the USA, or legalization in the USA.

What do you think we are, those syrup swilling, log jam riding, hockey playing lumberjack mounties to the north?
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7