Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: What has happened when "weed's" been legalised?  (Read 7168 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What has happened when "weeds" been legalised?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 03:46:29 pm »

"weed's" is, in fact, correct. (Well, {"weed"'s} in this case, I imagine. Which just looks awkward. Better just to say {"weed" has})

Just because it's a contraction doesn't mean it has to be shortening "weed" and "is". In this case it's contracting "weed" and "has".
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 03:53:25 pm by GlyphGryph »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 03:49:31 pm »

What has happened when "weeds" been legalised?

As far as I know, both Weeds and weeds are completely legal.

However, from your tenses, it looks like you're asking what would have happened in the past prior to them having been legalized, so I must conclude you are envisioning a dystopian future where both TV and 'undesired plants' are illegal, and that at some point this dystopia would be overthrown and TV and weeds would once again be legalized.

(I think this is a far more entertaining topic than what has been discussed so far, don't you?)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 05:03:56 pm »

"Bringing you a live report from the scene of today's subway bombing is Ned Oliver. What are things like down there, Ned?"

"Well, Lisa, they're downright terrible. It's like a scene from the apocalypse. Wai-wait a moment, we've just recieved word that the Dandelion Underground has claimed responsibility for the attack, citing the recent Rounduping of undesirables as motivation."

"Thanks for the update, Ned. And now for a word from our sponsor, Brawno Energy Drink..."

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 05:13:45 pm »

We will finally have the freedom to grow what we want, regardless of whether the government deems it "invasive" or "not a useful crop" or "covered in thorns and grows everywhere, probably a public safety risk".

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 05:15:29 pm »

Eh, I might still support bans on potential invasive species. Not that it'd work in preventing people from transplanting such, though.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 05:17:34 pm »

Kaijyuu, it's a slippery slope. One day you ban kudzu and the next day you're banning crabgrass.

ISP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 05:33:06 pm »

...oh, you guys.
Argueing about weeds and proper pluralization and sentance structure.

Making weed legal would make my neighberhood 50% better because who wants to buy from some hoodrat gang cuz when you can get it from an actual government source and not even risk getting shot or ripped off or even going to jail.

It probably would hurt Dutch and Jamacian tourism, but not by much.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 05:36:13 pm »

I don't know. Even if it was legal, I'm pretty sure I'd just buy some from my neighbours to grow myself. It's not like it would be hard to grow.

Some Queen Anne's Lace would be nice, I think.

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2012, 06:45:50 pm »

There was recently a study which showed 8 point decrease in IQ for kids smoking weed. (Article) If the study is accurate, I'd worry it becomes too easy to get for young people, like cigarettes or booze.

You seriously think government regulation makes it easier for minors to get forbidden substances, as opposed to gang regulation? I don't know many pot dealers who ask for ID. By this logic we should make alcohol and tobacco illegal too, you know, to protect the children.
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2012, 07:01:53 pm »

The sky will tear asunder, demons will pour out, and then London will fall into the sea. Obviously.
And it will all be because those liberal weed smoking gays brainwashed our children into the ocean.

There was recently a study which showed 8 point decrease in IQ for kids smoking weed. (Article) If the study is accurate, I'd worry it becomes too easy to get for young people, like cigarettes or booze.
Yeah! We want those fuckers to work for it!

But seriously, especially in the UK it's not hard to know someone who knows someone.

Two million people in the UK smoke cannabis. Half of all 16 to 29 year olds have tried it at least once.

Snowblind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2012, 08:20:46 pm »

Inversely, higher intelligence is associated with higher rates of alcohol consumption.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/201010/why-intelligent-people-drink-more-alcohol

Anyways, cannabis laws are around because of it's association with dirty hippie types. It's been decriminalized quite a bit, but nobody can bring themselves to legalize it because of it's cultural connotations. It's a silly taboo thing, I think will fade in time.

There are some cognitive downsides to heavy use as well. They'd have to right up a bunch of new laws to make it on the same level as alcohol and whatnot. How much is too much to drive, or operate a forklift or fly a passenger jet, ect? Legal age of 18 or 21? The science isn't really all there to give much public policy guidance.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 01:34:37 am »

The science wasn't all there for tobacco or alcohol either when people first started drinking them.

Mitt Romney doesn't drink alcohol. Neither do I. Did they consider participants who had an intellectual, moral, or health reason to not drink alcohol to be outliers, and exclude them? It doesn't say. I came to the conclusion that drinking alcohol is something to be avoided because it would temporarily change my personality, and if I drank it in sufficient quantity, it would prevent me from remembering anything I did while my personality was changed, and that, obviously, if I never drank any alcohol I wouldn't have to worry about potentially becoming an alcoholic. I have no desire to consume alcohol, like I have no desire to do drugs, or smoke cigarettes.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 05:18:15 am »

First, please don't distort the article you've posted. It says an 8 point drop for the "heaviest" smokers who started before 18. We're talking highschool kids puffing 10+ joints a day, or something. Smoking pot between classes. People like that do exist.

IQ is a really dubious measure, and it's also a chicken-and-egg thing. IQ is trained by educational activities. Correlation is not necessarily causation. That article doesn't take into account that teens in environments where they're opening to becoming chronic pot smokers probably didn't have such great home or study environments in the first place. They actually admit that they didn't control for home-life or child-abuse history.

And since that 8 points is only the heaviest smokers, you have to consider that the kid has THC in his bloodstream all the way through class time, given how long it stays in your system.

So i'd dispute that this factor "decreased" their IQ. If I goof off and don't study for a test, thus getting a low score, did my intelligence drop?

Hell I used to smoke a lot of pot and I do maths + programming for fun, and score excellent on IQ tests, I stopped now because I was concerned about lung health and saving money.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 05:34:17 am by Reelya »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2012, 05:27:01 am »

Dunno about intelligence, but I'm fairly sure that weed can make you lazier, and being lazy is worse for success in life than being stupid.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2012, 07:32:31 am »

Dunno about intelligence, but I'm fairly sure that weed can make you lazier, and being lazy is worse for success in life than being stupid.

Quoted for truth on the second half if nothing else.

First, please don't distort the article you've posted. It says an 8 point drop for the "heaviest" smokers who started before 18. We're talking highschool kids puffing 10+ joints a day, or something. Smoking pot between classes. People like that do exist.

This is a good point.  I wouldn't be surprised in the least if similar correlations were found for drinking or smoking cigarettes.  You can find a correlation between just about anything if you try hard enough.  Causation is another matter entirely.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7