Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: What has happened when "weed's" been legalised?  (Read 7140 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
What has happened when "weed's" been legalised?
« on: October 22, 2012, 01:52:57 pm »

I see it as a potentially dangerous waste of resources and refuse to partake, but unfortunately people will do it whatever you do. My reasons for asking are this. As recent studies have shown (if necessary, i'll find the BBC link), use of hard drugs is down, likely because the horror stories do tend to sink in more. However, weed use is still rampant and i suspect going up, and is quite popular among the youth as seen by my own school and friend group. When asked, they assure me me its from a reliable and relatively reputable source, but i have my doubts. I realize people will take it whatever you do, but at least it's presumably easier to regulate in a legal environment. Unfortunately, i can see a host of other problems with this as well, so i'd like to know if any of you have much information about what has actually happened when it's been legalized and what you think the effects would be where you live, and the UK if your familiar with it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 06:20:10 am by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What has happened when "weeds" been legalised?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 01:54:34 pm »

To my knowledge what happens is when Weed is legalised the use goes up a lot.

then over time it drops to below pre-legalised time period.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 02:01:13 pm »

To my knowledge what happens is when Weed is legalised the use goes up a lot.

then over time it drops to below pre-legalised time period.
Pretty much this. And it's already been legalized "medically" (which is extremely easy to get certified for) in Arizona, and I personally haven't seen too much change from what was going on before.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 02:05:45 pm »

Yeah, as I hear the Dutch don't smoke much at all, it's viewed as just a lame tourist thing.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 02:08:56 pm »

The sky will tear asunder, demons will pour out, and then London will fall into the sea. Obviously.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 02:13:57 pm »

There was recently a study which showed 8 point decrease in IQ for kids smoking weed. (Article) If the study is accurate, I'd worry it becomes too easy to get for young people, like cigarettes or booze.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 02:16:35 pm »

Drug violence in Mexico will decrease 30%.

US prisons will be less crowded.

Tobbacco companies will start selling textiles.

Police departments will be upset until they realize they can now ticket people for DUI for an entirely new reason.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 02:44:22 pm »

I don't really care.  If it were put to a vote I'd vote for legalization and I'd probably light up just to try it, but it's low on my priority list outside of the effects on gang stuff and prison population.

There's two people next to me talking about weed right now, we're right in the middle of a university hallway.  One recommended a book about the cult of pharmacology to the other.  Welcome to Douchetown USA, population these people.
Shoes...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 02:46:00 pm »

Drug violence in Mexico will decrease 30%.

US prisons will be less crowded.

Tobbacco companies will start selling textiles.

Police departments will be upset until they realize they can now ticket people for DUI for an entirely new reason.

Sounds about right.

Although I have no intention of partaking of marijuana if it became legal around here (much like I don't drink or smoke cigarettes), I'm reasonably confident that it would be a net positive.

There was recently a study which showed 8 point decrease in IQ for kids smoking weed. (Article) If the study is accurate, I'd worry it becomes too easy to get for young people, like cigarettes or booze.

I suspect that youngsters who want it can get it easily enough as it stands.  I'm not sure that legalizing it would change that much there.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 02:53:21 pm »

Yeah, as I hear the Dutch don't smoke much at all, it's viewed as just a lame tourist thing.
Depends. I smoked a lot (daily) at 16-18, some people from that "scene" stayed there, others moved on. There's still lots of people my age (edit: I'm in the 30s) doing it recreatively, or once in a while, like at home instead of a glass of wine (and in amounts of getting the same buzz-level as one glass of wine). Still, the percentage of the total population that does it, is quite low. Only 27% has ever tried it, which is on par with surrounding countries. The amount of "regular users" defined as "smoked in the last year" is about the same as the rest of Europe, at 7% (EU average is 6.7%). source in Dutch

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 03:10:22 pm »

I suspect that youngsters who want it can get it easily enough as it stands.  I'm not sure that legalizing it would change that much there.

I think legalizing it will bring it out in the open more and allow for better regulations to be made to protect kids. I have known a lot of people who could get weed more easily in high school than they could get booze because the drug market doesn't really care about age. Even if there are worse penalties for selling to kids, people will still think "Eh, I'm fucked if people find out whether it's a kid or not."

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 03:14:20 pm »

I'm not surprised that the average IQ of smokers is lower than that of the general population. What kind of person do you expect to be more likely to risk imprisonment for a buzz?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 03:33:24 pm »

It's harder to get a substance when the sellers care about whether or not you are of legal age or not, so legalizing it would decrease its availability to young people.
They can already do that.
There's two people next to me talking about weed right now, we're right in the middle of a university hallway.  One recommended a book about the cult of pharmacology to the other.  Welcome to Douchetown USA, population these people.
I think you and I are in the same boat.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 03:38:49 pm »

What has happened when "weeds" been legalised?

Many people between the ages of 15 and 30 find they no longer have anything to talk about.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 03:41:36 pm »

Weed's is no better. That would mean 'What has happened when "weed is" been legalised?'

I vote for just weed. Which at least makes a bit more grammatical sense, but does not really make a sentence that this thread is about.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7