Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Your quickest game ever?  (Read 3254 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Your quickest game ever?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 10:59:07 am »

Not mine, but I'll save Draco18 the trouble of posting it: Magma glitch from v0.28.181.39d.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 11:23:35 am »

Yesterday I embarked on terrifying swamp, I pressed unpause less than four seconds later "It's Raining Vile Goop!" the goop had the effect of instant huskification and the settlement crumbled immediately.

That record was beaten when I tried to reclaim but before I even pressed unpause I checked my units and found that they had already been huskified. So the lifespan of that fort was the fraction of a second that elapses between your settlement crumbling and the actual message that you've lost.

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 11:50:51 am »

I embarked in sinister tundra on volcano, my 2 hammerdwarves were killing zombie eagle nonstop (reanimating area). When my miners digged some earth, 3 zombie muskoxes appeared... I though I will be safier on bening evil... but no! Hooved bastards live in benign terrain!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 12:36:14 pm »

I had somehow had my Swamp fort IMMEDIATELY Killed off by Alligators. 2 frames in.

I had a problem akin to this.... Very hard to survive past the first week of spring when everyone's bleeding and being tossed around by angry swamp lizards.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 12:40:45 pm »

Spoiler: Sol (click to show/hide)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 02:47:48 pm »

Sol
That's actually impossible in version 0.34.11, because the excessively high temperature causes all tiles to be marked as "dangerous" (and thus ineligible for pathfinding), so you'll always spawn at the bottom-left corner of the map (without your wagon) and your miners will refuse to take a single step (or even pick up their mining picks).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Burnup

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill until you can't, Then savescum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 03:14:13 pm »

Sol
That's actually impossible in version 0.34.11, because the excessively high temperature causes all tiles to be marked as "dangerous" (and thus ineligible for pathfinding), so you'll always spawn at the bottom-left corner of the map (without your wagon) and your miners will refuse to take a single step (or even pick up their mining picks).

Still quite awesome.
Just tell her that you were merely doing what the voices in your head were telling you to do.

Burnup

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill until you can't, Then savescum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2012, 03:25:27 pm »

My quickest game was one I embarked then abandoned. But since I know that is not what you're asking about.

Let's see.. 6 military dwarves good to go population 13. Child snatcher apears, milidwarves run after him to the edge of the map. Ambush spotted back at the exposed front entrance with 4 out of 8 gobbos already inside. citizens massacred before I milidwarves could get back.. milidwarves killed gobbos, then while attempting to dispose of the bodies of their loved ones, they killed eachother. End.

Another: Got my underground watering hole and farm good to go in the first year. Than come winter the river froze, and my reservoir expanded into my fort killing everything.

Another: Evil biome first encounter with zombies. In the first year I opened the gate to see how strong they actually are. Every one died.
Just tell her that you were merely doing what the voices in your head were telling you to do.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2012, 05:18:48 am »

"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the caverns have collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"

Not mine, but I remember reading it somewhere
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2012, 06:33:26 am »

When I tried to mod and as soon as I embarked my wagon exploded and killed my dorfs.

Strike the earth!

BOOM

Your fortress has crumbled to its end.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2012, 06:41:26 am »

My quickest non evil embark was on a cave. I was curious to see what was in it and an ettin came out and killed everyone.

Another one who almost ended too quickly was one where the embark was right next to the waterfall and my dwarves who either took breakes or didnt have anything to do wandered into it and died, along with the animals.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2012, 09:33:30 am »

I was not ready for evil areas.
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 10:59:17 am »

Evil areas can be a bit too hard atm I think. The zombies refuse to die and resurrect absurdly quickly sometimes. The weather either outright instantly makes dwarves into thralls or just melts dwarves to death with a touch.

The only way to escape is to instantly channel downwards and somehow prepare all the edges for the arriving sods, while simultaneously spamming cagetraps all over the area. While being careful with the pets so as they dont get out and die, coming back to kill everything after just few seconds.

I really think there should be some kind of setting where you could downplay the effects on evil areas. Atm the only vanilla way is to turn off weathers completely at generation, the same way most people like to turn off bogeymen at adventure mode (having to spend 3 hours running back to town evading bogeymen is not fun, its just boring. The ambushes at night are hard as they are, seeing as they are half the reasons my legendary adventurers have died).

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 11:00:24 am »

Evil areas can be a bit too hard atm I think. The zombies refuse to die and resurrect absurdly quickly sometimes. The weather either outright instantly makes dwarves into thralls or just melts dwarves to death with a touch.

The only way to escape is to instantly channel downwards and somehow prepare all the edges for the arriving sods, while simultaneously spamming cagetraps all over the area. While being careful with the pets so as they dont get out and die, coming back to kill everything after just few seconds.

I really think there should be some kind of setting where you could downplay the effects on evil areas. Atm the only vanilla way is to turn off weathers completely at generation, the same way most people like to turn off bogeymen at adventure mode (having to spend 3 hours running back to town evading bogeymen is not fun, its just boring. The ambushes at night are hard as they are, seeing as they are half the reasons my legendary adventurers have died).
I survived in a terrifying glacier, then my cats ran into a thralling cloud. Kitten assault.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2012, 11:17:18 am »

I survived in a terrifying glacier, then my cats ran into a thralling cloud. Kitten assault.
Yeah, the first fort I did when the patch with thralling mists came died to a single thralled cat. Its really ridiculus.

Sometimes I think that because dwarf fortress has evil magic there should be good magic as well. You should be able to buy religious stuff as protection or perhaps assign a "priest" of a random df religion to bless the dead so as they wont rise. Perhaps get special quests in adventure mode to slay necromancers and undead beasts while getting blessings from a god, so as the evil areas wont affect you as much. While evil is much !fun! there certainly is room for some zombie ass kicking as well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3