Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 91

Author Topic: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC  (Read 441211 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC
« Reply #975 on: March 19, 2016, 02:05:48 am »

So I've been giving that "sustainable farming" challenge a go. Got the seed maker, bought each type of seed only once, and making seeds myself ever since. It's a lot more challenging than I expected! It takes a lot of time to make all the seeds, and you lose a very large percentage of your harvest. I have very little left over to sell. But it does make it more interesting. If I was buying new seeds each time, I expect I'd be vastly wealthy by now... But I need to redesign my farm and build more machines and artisan items. I only have a couple of brewing barrels, for example. It's all a mess! There's no time to make everything pretty! Too many different things I want to do...

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: March 19, 2016, 02:09:49 am »

Oh man, sustainable farming does sound like a fun way to play. I think I'm going to try it too!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: March 19, 2016, 05:32:18 am »

Just made it to winter for the first time. Foraged some holly berries, noticed you can eat it for health/energy recovery.

...Isn't holly poisonous?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: March 19, 2016, 05:53:00 am »

Just made it to winter for the first time. Foraged some holly berries, noticed you can eat it for health/energy recovery.

...Isn't holly poisonous?

Not only are they poisonous- they are prickly.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: March 19, 2016, 08:17:42 am »

So I've been giving that "sustainable farming" challenge a go. Got the seed maker, bought each type of seed only once, and making seeds myself ever since. It's a lot more challenging than I expected! It takes a lot of time to make all the seeds, and you lose a very large percentage of your harvest. I have very little left over to sell. But it does make it more interesting. If I was buying new seeds each time, I expect I'd be vastly wealthy by now... But I need to redesign my farm and build more machines and artisan items. I only have a couple of brewing barrels, for example. It's all a mess! There's no time to make everything pretty! Too many different things I want to do...

Hey, nice to see someone else giving it a go.

It is interesting, isn't it? It certainly feels more like farming instead of VAST MONEY SIM 2016. I see other people bringing in hundreds of thousands with harvests and I'm just sitting here like well yes when you can devote your whole farm to ancient fruit. But that's so boring and easy.

I find that having to deal with the seeds also means you end up having a full day, since I run back and forth planting and waiting for seed, do animal caretaking, plant some more, wait for more seed ... I've only managed five seed makers so far and it's still a rush on harvest days.

Oh man, sustainable farming does sound like a fun way to play. I think I'm going to try it too!
tl;dr it's a fun way to play. I need to figure out how to edit a save to give myself a seed maker from day 1 so I can see what I can do using only that method.  :P
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #980 on: March 19, 2016, 08:45:45 am »

Yes, it's definitely not easy. Takes half the day to make seeds and replant. Sometimes all day - once I had to forego watering the last of my crops or I wouldn't make it to my bed in time! Makes it hard to squeeze in all the other things I want to do, like mining for the materials to make more sprinklers so I don't have to worry about watering all my crops so I'll have more time for things like mining... :P

I think doing it from day one would be insanely hard. You can only afford a few seeds at first, so for ages you wouldn't make any money from farming at all, since all your crops would go into the seed maker.

I've made it to summer now, though, and it's really nice having most of the crops not need to be re-planted. Saves a lot of effort!!! And makes a HUGE difference to profits, too.

By the way, I've just caught a super cucumber, and I remember someone saying there was some secret that could be found with it... Can someone remind me what that was? Maybe in spoiler form. I remember seeing in an interview ConcernedApe saying there were secrets he thinks no one has found yet, and he doesn't know if anyone will, because he doesn't think "anyone would bother to try that". I wonder if this is it? Wouldn't surprise me if B12ers get there first. ;)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: March 19, 2016, 08:53:29 am »

It would surprise me if Bay12ers get there first. It would not surprise me if Goons got there first.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #982 on: March 19, 2016, 08:57:03 am »

It would surprise me if Bay12ers get there first. It would not surprise me if Goons got there first.

Ahem.
Bwaha! Found out how to use one of the hidden brown boxes that are scattered around, using old point and click skills of clicking everything on everything.

Now to see if the other boxes can be opened similarly.
Probably wasn't the first ever to find it though.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #983 on: March 19, 2016, 09:11:56 am »

tl;dr it's a fun way to play. I need to figure out how to edit a save to give myself a seed maker from day 1 so I can see what I can do using only that method.  :P

Here's how you do it.

Quote from: First how to get the save into a readable state
Step 1: Download Notepad++. Essential for any save editing.
Optional Step 2: Install the XML Tools plugin for Notepad++. This can be done via the plugin manager. It's not strictly necessary, but it makes save editing much friendlier.
Step 3: Backup your saves. Seriously. Always do this. Your saves are located under <user>\AppData\Roaming\StardewValley\Saves\<name_####>\
Step 4: Open the save file in Notepad++. It should be the file with the same name as the directory.
Optional Step 5: Go to Plugins -> XML Tools -> Pretty Print (XML Only - with line breaks). See? Much more readable now.
The last step can take a few minutes. If the notepad++ window appears to not be showing anything after completing, drag all the way back to the left using the bottom scrollbar.

Do a search for
Code: [Select]
<Item xsi:nil="true" /> This is the code for an empty inventory space, you should see several of these. Prior to the first of these you should see the code for the last item you have in your toolbar. Remove one of these and replace with the following code.

Save the file and when you load the game you should now have a seed maker in your inventory.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: March 19, 2016, 09:59:31 am »

Ahh, thank you!

Time for a new file ... when I get time from work anyway.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #985 on: March 19, 2016, 10:15:54 am »

Ohhhh.... You should do a let's play. I'd watch. :)

acidia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: March 19, 2016, 03:38:21 pm »

So, would a "native" challenge be possible?  Never buy any seeds and use mixed seeds to build up seed/plant stocks?  I'm really not sure if the unlocked seeds can even be generated by a mixed seed.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #987 on: March 19, 2016, 03:43:13 pm »

So, would a "native" challenge be possible?  Never buy any seeds and use mixed seeds to build up seed/plant stocks?  I'm really not sure if the unlocked seeds can even be generated by a mixed seed.

I got an artichoke in my first year from wild mixed seeds - that's the one that doesn't unlock until year 2 right? So I would say yes, should be possible to get anything that's sold by Pierre from wild mixed seeds... Not sure about flowers though, and the rarer seeds you'd surely need to buy.

EDIT: Whoops, said wild instead of mixed.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 01:37:23 am by Sappho »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: March 19, 2016, 04:11:25 pm »

You're sure it's from "wild seeds" and not "mixed seeds"? Wild seeds ought to be crafted from wild forage and yield homegrown wild forage - should be a set of seeds from each season except maybe winter(which ought to require the greenhouse?).

Mixed seeds come from scything bushes and can be sown in any season(except winter) and yield any in-season plant at random.

I too got artichokes from mixed seeds during fall. Didn't even notice you couldn't buy the seeds.

Anyway, I'm just getting into winter, and I noticed that my entire farm is pretty heavily overgrown. I think I got half the distance between the greenhouse(not yet unlocked) and the NW corner(with the southernmost edge of this area being at around the south wall of the greenhouse) cleared of trees and rocks in one day. Getting ready for Spring 2 is going to be hard...Especially since I want to clear the mine during Winter.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: March 19, 2016, 04:40:04 pm »

Actually, I never even thought about doing a complete native / wild challenge. I think I'll go that route with my sustainable farming game.

I would do a Let's Play but my schedule is so sporadic right now it'd be an update like twice a month maybe.  :P

Edit:

You can also rarely get mixed seeds from the seed makers, which will be handy for the challenge.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 91