Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 91

Author Topic: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC  (Read 441071 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC
« Reply #945 on: March 17, 2016, 02:05:52 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:07:55 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: March 17, 2016, 07:04:36 am »

Maybe you're not supposed to find the bachelors or bachelorettes to be genuinely attractive? I mean, they're all little chibi sprite people.

I'll admit I don't have the game yet, so maybe I'm missing a lot of characterization, but the bachelors look goofy and entertaining. I like the bachelorette who does witchcraft or something, but what are the rest? Popular girl, shy artist, housewife-to-be, and outgoing nerd? They just seem boring. I'm a woman who's attracted to women, pumped by the idea of being able to gay marry in a game, and I'm still more interested in the dudes overall here.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 07:14:47 am by penguinofhonor »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: March 17, 2016, 07:26:46 am »

I'm just shallow. I chose the first person I found (after Emily and Robin... ;_;) who looked like someone I'd probably hang out with and, as Yahtzee said in his video, really liked being gifted the flowers I pulled out of her yard.

Speaking of which, Zero Punctuation.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #948 on: March 17, 2016, 07:30:13 am »

Maybe you're not supposed to find the bachelors or bachelorettes to be genuinely attractive? I mean, they're all little chibi sprite people.

I'll admit I don't have the game yet, so maybe I'm missing a lot of characterization, but the bachelors look goofy and entertaining. I like the bachelorette who does witchcraft or something, but what are the rest? Popular girl, shy artist, housewife-to-be, and outgoing nerd? They just seem boring. I'm a woman who's attracted to women, pumped by the idea of being able to gay marry in a game, and I'm still more interested in the dudes overall here.

I think your opinion may change when you get the game. I think the key is that all the bachelors are extremely immature, clearly just teenagers. If you're a teenager playing this game, that's great, but most people who have nostalgia for classic Harvest Moon are in their 30s now. I think of my character as an extension of me. That farm is MY farm. It's an immersive experience - until you realize that you're expected to date, romance, and marry a high school movie stereotype who literally complains about doing homework when you talk to them, or says "hold on, I need to beat this level" instead of having a conversation with you. They're just so... off-putting. I can't STAND teenagers. I couldn't even stand them when I WAS one. Now I have to DATE and MARRY one? One of those little idiots has to be the father of my children? *shudder* Or I can marry the mustache-wielding older guy obsessed with model planes who, after 2 years of friendship, still reminds me to wash my hands each and every day and panics about my mining excursions? I don't want his paranoia anywhere near my children. Or the arrogant blonde douche who looks like someone my mother would have been attracted to in the 80s? That's IT?

I can't even bring myself to make friends with the teenagers. They're TEENAGERS. I do not befriend teenagers, dammit.

Even more potentially upsetting is the possibility that they might NOT be teenagers. If they're fully-grown and as mature as they're going to get, that makes them even LESS attractive, if such a thing is possible.

Also, the only non-white character you can actually date is female. All the male ones are white, which I find really annoying, though I suppose that can at least be fixed with modding.

If this is my little fantasy farm world and my little fantasy farm life, I want to have a fantasy farm husband who doesn't make me gag. To ConcernedApe's credit, he did say in an interview that he plans to add more marriageable characters as a result of all the negative feedback about how repulsive they all are, so here's hoping he manages that soon. Or a modder finds a way to let us marry the already-married actually-interesting-and-attractive characters.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: March 17, 2016, 08:00:54 am »

Yeah and like. There's some important information missing here. Is my character a pedophile or something? I feel like that might be the case given the options, and I need to know so I can role play appropriately. Inquiring minds want to know.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: March 17, 2016, 08:54:35 am »

Is my character a pedophile or something? ... I need to know so I can role play appropriately.

For that, you need to get a PS2 and Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life Special Edition.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: March 17, 2016, 09:50:20 am »

Given that they're never going to school, and Penny actually teaches the smaller kids in the Valley, I got the impression they were all at least 18 years old. Some are probably no older than that in the first year. A few should be at least a little bit older based on what I know of their back stories.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: March 17, 2016, 10:08:47 am »

All the teenagers probably have grade school education at best.  There is no school, other then what PamI forgot her name offers and they don't leave the town.  ... And they all have high school teenager mentality/stereotypes.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 10:47:32 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: March 17, 2016, 10:53:36 am »

Apparently they are supposed to be older, but I'm pretty much in agreement with Zangi; male or female, they're pretty much high school stereotypes, and they don't feel like they escaped that mindset.  I'll admit that I feel like I'm robbing a cradle; it's almost as bad as Lumina (who I assume was in AWL:SE based on Mephisto's comment) or Luna in Tree of Tranquility.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: March 17, 2016, 12:06:41 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:07:34 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: March 17, 2016, 02:02:05 pm »

Honestly, in retrospect, I don't feel that the characters are that unusual for older teenagers/young adults. The main thing for me is that the ladies all have professions, whereas the men... don't?

Spoiler: Sebastian (click to show/hide)
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: March 17, 2016, 02:41:13 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:05:46 pm by Vector »

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: March 17, 2016, 03:00:18 pm »

Elliott gets a ... little better, I think? I don't know, I've only gotten him to 4.

Demetrius' kids are Maru (science girl) and Sebastian (basement dude).
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: March 17, 2016, 03:05:02 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:05:38 pm by Vector »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: March 17, 2016, 03:36:16 pm »

You should lay off the drugs.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 91