Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Trees, man.  (Read 35584 times)

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trees, man.
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2012, 04:54:01 pm »

If Toady would rework cave-in for trees, why shouldn't he review it for stone columns and such? Which isn't something of a current goal.
I'm more intrigued with what comes along with trees: climbing. Who knows, maybe soon we'll have to build taller walls in order to defend from goblins.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2012, 05:05:08 pm »

Who knows, maybe soon we'll have to build taller walls in order to defend from goblins.
I didn't think of that. Oh shit.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2012, 05:22:40 pm »

Especially when jumping is added, and if it gets worked into AI pathing. You only thought you'd sealed out the rhesus macaques...

Which raises another question: will certain animals be rewritten to prefer trees? Monkeys climbing through treetops rather than running around on the plains, for example, or a flock of birds roosting in a tree instead of flying in random paths around the sky. Because these things would be awesome, especially if you could strategize to isolate the macaques in a specific stand of trees before !!exterminating!! them.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Kumis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2012, 05:36:41 pm »

I'm hoping there'll be an extra by-product:

Ladders!

Ladders for digging holes, ladders for going up sheer-cliffs, ladders for pitting animals, ladders to let goblins in over your wal- oh dammit.

Also, with all this multi-level stuff, maybe catapults (and their high trajectory) will start being useful.
Dodók Medtobór,
What are you trying to hunt?
Y u no find path?

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2012, 05:47:58 pm »

Ladders would be no different from stairs tho: you can't go smaller than 1 tile.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

thranguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2012, 06:14:20 pm »

Ladders would be no different from stairs tho: you can't go smaller than 1 tile.

Ladders would be portable, presumably.  That would be considerably different.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2012, 06:56:43 pm »

Personally, I'm wondering if the suggestion that "Growers should be able to transplant seedlings" has been / will be implemented.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2012, 07:01:28 pm »

And just when people have happily built their shiny new tree forts, beavers.

Also if tiles are in fact roughly 3 meter cubes, those 3x3 tree trunks would be 9 meters(30 feet) wide!

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2012, 08:32:32 pm »

Also if tiles are in fact roughly 3 meter cubes, those 3x3 tree trunks would be 9 meters(30 feet) wide!

The worlds of DF have always been a slightly more fantastical foil of our own. Reminds me of some of the imagery I got from the great classics of fantasy literature with towering trees and abyssal forests filled with danger and adventure. Given these are just normal trees, imagine how massive the Elfwoods will be... I would like to build an entrance or two to a fort under and between the massive roots of a tree, like a forgotten temple of yore.

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2012, 08:33:10 pm »

Oops, double post... So how 'bout those cactus!

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2012, 08:33:28 pm »

I think I can honestly say the only other time I've ever been this excited about trees is during Biology Class.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2012, 08:41:49 pm »

I wonder if we'll be able to fell individual branches, and how much control we'll have with cutting.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2012, 08:50:02 pm »

The trees didn't choose Elves, the Elves choose them. The whole hatred of trees because Elves worship them is like disliking Dogs in real life because Hitler owned one. Elves are simply a race of short, pointy eared, immortal creatures that worship trees. While Elves themselves are horrible creatures, basing hate because they like trees is, well, baseless. A fort could not survive without some form of trees; and before you say mushrooms, I believe Elves count them as trees.

Now excuse me as I try to figure out a way to become magma proof from the incoming shouts of blasphemy and attempted magma executions.

I think of elves as being like aphids or bark beetles - they're parasites on the trees.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2012, 08:59:07 pm »

They're 2x2x3 meters, according to minecarts, so they're 20 feet wide. That's big, but not too big for the older trees. There are redwoods and such something like three times that width.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2012, 12:23:57 am »

Ladders would be portable, presumably.  That would be considerably different.
If ladders were implemented then they should be both portable and collapsible. Also Goblins should carry them to sieges.
My computer breaks down regularly. Duct tape is starting to lose it's charm.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15