Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: Trees, man.  (Read 35570 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Trees, man.
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2012, 06:17:08 am »

Ladders would be no different from stairs tho: you can't go smaller than 1 tile.

Ladders would be portable, presumably.  That would be considerably different.
If ladders were implemented then they should be both portable and collapsible. Also Goblins should carry them to sieges.
I can understand your sentiment, but that'd be a pathfinding issue. He'd have to write it so gobbos find a nice place to set up, and they'd have to determine when they were spending their time scaling your walls into the fort instead of, say, Walled off area with War tigers
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

rcmgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Woop woop!
    • View Profile
    • Ryan C Michaels
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2012, 07:40:10 am »

I wonder if we'll be able to fell individual branches, and how much control we'll have with cutting.

After listening to the most recent podcast, he talked about this. Toady One said he'd have to go back and look at tasks like woodcutting, where you would start to chop down branches first, or you'd cause a 'tree cave-in.'

If you get the RSS feed, or go to the main DF page, you can see screenshots of the trees. It looks **amazing**. There are sequences of z-level screenshots to show you how it looks. It is literally another world in the canopy in these images.
Check out my Dwarf Fortress LP!

Francinator

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2012, 08:24:12 am »

I can't wait to get to my first elven retreat, and burn it to the ground!

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2012, 08:25:39 am »

Yea, this is going off the topic at hand, but....

The whole hatred of trees because Elves worship them is like disliking Dogs in real life because Hitler owned one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dachshund#Symbol_of_Germany

Art imitates life in yet another way.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2012, 08:41:40 am »

Have you seen any information about the size of trees ? Will they GROW ? how long to have a max-size tree (and will we have a limit in their size, both in height and width ?).
Will they be buildable on their top or main branches ?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2012, 10:37:12 am »

We're looking at this the wrong way, instead of hating trees for being so elvish lets make trees dwarfy. A sock to the first person who figures out how to make them kill goblins.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2012, 10:40:12 am »

We're looking at this the wrong way, instead of hating trees for being so elvish lets make trees dwarfy. A sock to the first person who figures out how to make them kill goblins.
Cover them in Dwarves.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2012, 10:41:38 am »

A. Use trees as fuels for massive bonfires and catch the gobbos in it.
B. Cut them down and turn them into trinkets, then have tantruming dwarves hurl them at gobbos, killing them.
C. Cover tree in GCS venom.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2012, 12:08:36 pm »

RFC
Weaponizing new trees:
1. Cut down one tree
2. Make minecarts from said tree (and a carpenter's shop, if you want to work purely with the trees, aside from the required axe).
3. Station dwarves with minecarts on top of other trees
4. Push minecarts at oncoming invaders from the tops of trees

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2012, 12:22:51 pm »

Use them as ready-made sniper towers for marksdwarfs. Unnecessary bits can be converted into bolts.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2012, 02:23:53 pm »

This can only lead to one thing:
Elephants dodging and ending up sitting on a tree branch. Kind of like a cat stuck on a tree but deadlier.

..I wonder what would happen if a lumberdwarf went and felled that tree. Would he be crushed by the elephant? I can't wait for the science once this gets released.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Exlo

• Bay Watcher
  • Retirement homes are for lobsters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2012, 02:45:19 pm »

Elephants dodging and ending up sitting on a tree branch.

I read this like you meant the elephants would be dodging upwards and into the branches from the z-level below.

Ninja elephants. Of course, if Toady puts in climbing for all of the creatures, that's probably one of the fun "bugs" we'll encounter this time around.
Clearly, this represents six side-by-side wheelbarrows, as indicated by the right half of the icon.  The left half indicates they are carrying babies with hats in these wheelbarrows.

Presumably, they are lining up to dump them into the baby furnaces.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2012, 02:51:56 pm »

I read this like you meant the elephants would be dodging upwards and into the branches from the z-level below.

That is what he meant. It happens even now. There's a story of an undead alligator getting stuck in a tree somewhere...

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2012, 03:28:59 pm »

That is what he meant. It happens even now. There's a story of an undead alligator getting stuck in a tree somewhere...
(I think thats Goombageeks thread)Yeah, and I saw a arm dodge onto my fortifications during a undead attack, and it stayed there the entire time, scaring haulers like no bodies business.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Exlo

• Bay Watcher
  • Retirement homes are for lobsters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2012, 04:16:59 pm »

Wat. I obviously need more elephant !!SCIENCE!! under my belt. And/or upward dodging !!SCIENCE!!

... Mostly the elephant bit though.
Clearly, this represents six side-by-side wheelbarrows, as indicated by the right half of the icon.  The left half indicates they are carrying babies with hats in these wheelbarrows.

Presumably, they are lining up to dump them into the baby furnaces.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15