Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Chainhammer - Necromancers vs Vampires- A Community Fortress  (Read 9747 times)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chainhammer - Necromancers vs Vampires- A Community Fortress
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2012, 10:44:36 am »

20th Limestone, 1154 Early Autumn

Adamantine! Praise the miners! Those lucky smucks, not even one of them got burnt finding the magma sea. Now, we can set up a proper metal industry. We might have to use minecarts, though, the forge levels will be awfully deep.

1st Sandstone, Mid-Autumn

A 2 year old designated sacrifice was possessed by some wood spirit, conveying a message from our elven vassals. Sanctumdwellings, a birchen scepter, depicts the killing of a human by a cyclops in this glacier, in the year 520.

The miners stumbled upon the third cavern layer while excavating the magma forge area. It was sealed off for now.

7 more migrants arrived. Mortals, civilians. Your majesty, ye got to be kidding me.  >:(

9th Obsidian, 1154 Late Winter

One of autumn's migrants, a ranger named Sazir Bisekmuthkat was possessed and gathered a pile of stones and other misc items in the craftdwarf shop. Being 151 years old, I guess he is close enough to the afterlife to make this inevitable.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 04:17:22 pm by Tirion »
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancers vs Vampires- A Community Fortress
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2012, 01:45:54 pm »

Psssh. Everyone knows necros are cooler than vampires.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PTW. If things get crazy or you somehow cage a necromancer I'll probably make some kind of dorfing request.

At the moment, we have an Olm Woman Animal Trainer and a Human Ranger necromancer captured alive. One or two dwarves came, and died among the traps like half a dozen others. According to legends viewer upon a copy of the current fortress, There are 7 living dwarven necromancers altogether, in the 2 towers that waged war on us.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 01:58:44 pm by Tirion »
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2012, 04:20:58 pm »

3rd Slate, 1155

The Forgotten Beast Cirono Necateoci has come! A towering hairy scorpion. It has thin wings of stretched skin and it has a bloated body. It's mint green hair is patchy. Beware it's poisonous sting!

I guess we are lucky we sealed that breach in the lowest caverns in time. Nonetheless, I decided to add a second squad, 2 speardwarves, to our standing army. We have no-one here who knows how to use a spear, but hopefully they can learn to stick 'em with the pointy end.

I appointed our best (and only) strand extractor as hammerer, he is also a competent hammerdwarf, but I'd rather not risk him in battle.

28th Slate, 1155

A minotaur with 4 names came. We let him in. NRDL cut off his leg, hand, other arm. The other axelord kicked out a teeth. Then NRDL beheaded the bull-creature. It was all over in seconds, but I get the feeling they were drawing it out. Took joy in slaughter indeed. I just hope those two never, ever start tantruming.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 04:54:46 pm by Tirion »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2012, 04:36:16 pm »

Good luck...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2012, 05:23:46 pm »

2nd Hematite, Early Summer, 1155

Another undead siege followed this year's elven caravan. Luckily, the tree-hugging weaklings managed to get inside just in time. We bridge-smashed a human necromancer, and with luck and careful timing, managed to cage a dwarf tanner necromancer, Kubuk Asnugreth. He has also thrown a strange book on the ground, titled The World Without Immortality. It may be just hope speaking, but it could be useful information.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 05:51:00 pm by Tirion »

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2012, 05:29:33 pm »

You know, I think I'd like to be dwarfed as one of the speardwarves. It'll be fun to see if I can learn which end goes where before a zombie smashes my skull in.

Gender doesn't matter, "Space Cat" or just "Space" is fine for a nickname.

Besides, being a necrodwarf sitting in a cage all the time isn't very interesting, now is it?
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2012, 06:00:17 pm »

11th Malachite, 1155

Our legendary stonecrafter from the second wave, Solon Tiristanam, was taken by a fey mood and claimed the workshop. Result: rhyolite crown, 86000$. Good work, Solon.

We activated the second squad, the speardwarves. They have trouble figuring out the armor, let alone the weaponry.

13th Galena, 1155 Late Summer

A vile force of darkness has arrived! A goblin siege, about half the size of their largest ambushes. 7 bowmen, an axeman, a cave crocodile. Still, we'd better let the trap line handle this one, we need prisoners for training, not pincushions. Our armor is still not as good as I'd like it.

15th Galena

Double that number of bowmen. Lucky we didn't rush them.

In the end, we caged 3 of them, took only the bows arrows from those, and threw them at the speardwarf recruits to be poked until they get brained by steel spears. They stumbled upon that artifact peafowl bone sword in a weapon trap, it's about as powerful as we imagined. Our future beast-slayer spearmasters are now ecstatic novices.

Construction of our new, troll-killer trap line is under way. It consists of a narrow passage, flanked by pits. Weapon traps filled with weak weapons will cover the passage. Anything that dodges them, falls a dozen levels.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 05:19:08 am by Tirion »

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2012, 05:21:15 am »

20th Timber, 1155 Late Autumn

A 4 year old designated sacrifice got all secretitive and created a cow bone drum. If she lives to grow up, she'll be our third legendary bone carver.

I disbanded the fortress guard, those bloody oafs had serious uniform problems.

Another great scorpion arrived in the lower caverns, with three eyes. Those speardwarves have a great deal to prepare for. Moments later, a huge alligator with lidless eyes and noxious secretions joined it. Then a three eyed kinglet with deadly blood. Gulp.

The dwarf caravan has arrived, and the outpost liaison with them. They ran into a pair of dwarven necromancers in the goblin grinders, but the guards easily dispatched those. No more caged necromancers this time, but then again, we already have 3. I spoke with the outpost liaison. He wanted me to recommend someone for the position of baron. I assigned a number to each of us, and threw a dice a couple of times. The baron will be our esteemed bookkeeper, mastahcheese. May she be more willing to cooperate with our elven vassals than she was as broker. She likes her new silver-furnished marble quersters very much.

19th Obsidian, 1155 Late Winter

A vile force of goblin bowmen arrived, riding rutherers. They also brought blizzard men. For now, we wait.

A child got possessed by some spirit, who may have been a bit angry at the goblins camping at our doorstep. He created The Delightful Savant, a goblin bone bin. On it is the image of The Book: Natural or Supernatural? the giant rat leather-bound book in sterling silver.
GWS says it's worth 14400 $.
I say it's not about the money, it's about sending a message.

19th Felsite, 1156 Late Spring

The message got through, I could say. About a hundred zombies sneaked upon the goblins, and surrounded them. Even if they cut theirselves out, they won't have the morale left to keep us blockaded.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 07:48:15 am by Tirion »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2012, 12:22:07 pm »

Woo! I'm a baron, now!
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2012, 12:40:14 pm »

Woo! I'm a baron, now!

Indeed. You already had a stonecrafter and a miner imprisoned for lacking the foresight necessary to don't bring mittens to the depot. Also, your happiness fluctuates between ecstatic and unhappy, with getting utterly traumatized from lesser people's pretentious sleeping arrangements (everyone has 3x3 masterfully engraved marble berdooms) and your war dogs suffering accidents. I had put a Gem Window to your bedroom, which includes turqoise, the gem listed among your preferences.

Edit: slided down to Miserable, but is increasing ever since. Don't worry, you won't go insane, I'll work something out.

19th Galena, 1156, Late Summer

The human caravan was ambushed by two squads of kobold warriors, then the zombies came. Only their guild representative made it inside.
Our baron is miserable because we live as well as she does. I'll exclude her from Project: 'I don't really', lest she goes insane. I ordered a statue made of aluminum, her favourite.

5th Limestone, 1156
Sodel Fikodastesh, Surgeon, became a stonecrafter legend today, after creating a basalt ring. It depicts a necromancer book, a living goblin's death by trap dagger, and a zombie goblin's death by drawbridge. It's pretty awesome.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 02:54:30 pm by Tirion »

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2012, 03:44:57 pm »

I'd recommend isolating those beasts with poisoned blood and shotgunning bolts through them before giving those to archers. Make sure there's necromancer behind fortification near them in order to resurrect them before they rot away and their precious poisonous blood will be lost forever.
I'd try to get that poisonous vapor on bolts as well.
The only thing those scorpions are good for is forgotten beast roasts and soap.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2012, 04:37:05 pm »

So, uh, have I been dwarfed yet?  :D

I like the zombie bodyguards the fort seems to have. Goblins attacking? Suddenly zombies arrive to clear them out.  Kobold ambush? Don't worry, the zombies will tear them limb from limb.

It's an unfortunate side affect that the zombies seem to think trade caravans are also trying to invade our fort with their menacing spikes of business, and are obligated to massacre them too.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2012, 11:20:22 pm »

So, uh, have I been dwarfed yet?  :D

I like the zombie bodyguards the fort seems to have. Goblins attacking? Suddenly zombies arrive to clear them out.  Kobold ambush? Don't worry, the zombies will tear them limb from limb.

It's an unfortunate side affect that the zombies seem to think trade caravans are also trying to invade our fort with their menacing spikes of business, and are obligated to massacre them too.

You are Space Cat, Speardwarf and champion.

I'd recommend isolating those beasts with poisoned blood and shotgunning bolts through them before giving those to archers. Make sure there's necromancer behind fortification near them in order to resurrect them before they rot away and their precious poisonous blood will be lost forever.
I'd try to get that poisonous vapor on bolts as well.
The only thing those scorpions are good for is forgotten beast roasts and soap.

The FB with poisonous vapors is ROTTING, but only his feet. I kid you not.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 11:52:49 pm by Tirion »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2012, 06:38:10 am »

Hoist with his own petard...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2012, 03:12:10 pm »

14th Limestone, 1156 Early Autumn

The zombie waves seem endless, and all three captives refused to answer my questions on them. I began reading through one of the captured tomes instead.
Interesting... there is an arcane ritual, to modify the fabric of reality itself, (bloodstain)free... the ritualist should only (illegible, smear of something foul) ... wait, it's not even a word I know of, I'll go ask the necromancers.

-Hey, Kubuk, have you ever heard of 'rawmodding'?

Then everything became black for a moment, and a terrible voice, sounding like lead slabs falling on marble, roared:
-YOU HAVE MY ATTENTION, PUNY DWELLER OF THE LEGENDARY PLANET. CHOOSE YOUR REQUEST, AND I SHALL NAME MY PRIZE.
I just stood there, mouth gaping like a fish, then collapsed bonelessly, something soft cushioning my face on the floor. A cap. A slightly worn, troll fur cap, to be exact.
And suddenly, knowledge filled by head. I suddenly knew for a fact that caps could be worn under helmets, and we were fools to not do so. but then the voice spoke again.
-YOU CHOSE WISELY, LITTLE THING. FOR THIS, I SHALL ONLY ASK YOU THE LIFE OF SOMEONE YOU HOLD DEAR. DO NOT DISAPPOINT ME, OR I WILL COLLECT IT MYSELF, AND MORE.

I fainted again.

When I woke up later, I was in my quarters, dwarves looking down at me with worried faces.
-We heard the necromancers laughing like madmen, and found you on the floor. Are you hurt, Overseer? What happened?
I told them. They, being aware of our fortress's original mission, did not balk at the prize, provided it wasn't anyone THEY held dear. But we all agreed that we are very lucky I was only asked one life.

OOC: yeah, I modded it. Dwarves will hopefully equip helmets with Over Clothing uniform settings now.
On a completely unrelated note, I realized the dodge-me trap could be about 100 levels deeper. Should I make it happen? Also, how about a very deep cave-in trap, there a floor over a chasm is suspended by a support, and when it's destroyed/triggered, it all falls down, hopefully shattering even a steel titan?

21th Limestone

We found a cavern while excavating the pit traps. Now they are only about 50 levels deep. I hope it will be sufficient.

A minotaur fought itself through the undead siege to admire our floor hatches. We let him in. Unfortunately, he was ungrateful. Fortunately, Ser NRDL killed him.

Also, I mandated the creation of new pig tail plantations, as they were growing scarce.

The human guild representative went berserk. NRDL scratched him in the head so hard it caused fatal brain damage. I really start to fear that guy.

A siege engineer raised as a ghost. Curious, as I Don't remember ever seeing him. The slabs will know.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 04:10:01 pm by Tirion »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10