Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Chainhammer - Necromancers vs Vampires- A Community Fortress  (Read 9749 times)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancers vs Vampires- A Community Fortress
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 05:22:04 am »

I volunteer to be dorf'd, I'll be a noble, just for a change of pace.

Available so far:
-chief medical dorf
-broker
-manager
-bookkeeper

Which one do you prefer?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2012, 05:40:46 am »

4th Hematite, 1149, Early Summer

The miners found marble and native copper, but no caverns yet. I'll make preparations for a glacier melting project, but that won't get us any wood.

18th Malachite, 1149

First group of migrants arrived. They are all workers, not a single soldier among them. The kid is quite healthy and strong, I judge him worthy of life.

I personally pulled the lever to collapse ice into the warmer layers. The resulting amount of water is somewhat underwhelming, but some of the floor is muddied. It will serve, for now. I'll have to redesign the process before repeating it on the larger scale for a well, though.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 06:06:59 am by Tirion »
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chainhammer - Necromancers vs Vampires- A Community Fortress
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2012, 06:26:15 am »

13th Galena, 1149

-"The dead walk! Hide while you still can!" Screamed little Tirist. Good thing the kid has nothing to do but play lookout. I raced to the hatch to see... a single goblin corpse. It was all naked, visibly had been a female, very muscular, and well on it's way to rotting into a skeleton. Well, as we have no weapons yet, I locked the hatch. For now.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 07:05:05 am »

Wait, you're in a zombifying biome...aren't necromancers redundant?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2012, 07:05:47 am »

No, wait, that was somewhere else.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2012, 07:19:23 am »

17th Moonstone, 1149 Early Winter

Damn greenskin corpse blockaded us, so we get no caravan or more migrants this year. We'll live, as we managed to set up some farming, but without wood we have no metal, and without metal I'd rather not risk breaching the caverns. I came up with a cunning plan to get rid of any humanoid-size undead invaders, but it will take time to implement.

1st Limestone, 1150 Early Autumn

Fresh air from outside. The greenskin corpse moved away. I hope the caravan arrives in good order.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 08:54:30 am by Tirion »

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2012, 09:02:23 am »

You probably could have mobbed the corpse with all the dwarves you got.  Sheer numbers of wrestlers could probably kill a half-rotted goblin corpse...maybe I'm giving the dwarves too much credit though.

I like the looks of this. We already know there's a necromancer too lazy to do much. Maybe he only sent his goblin maid to welcome you and deliver some cookies?
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2012, 09:38:43 am »

25th Moonstone, 1150

The trade caravan came, sold some wood, and was ambushed by 2 squads of goblins on the way out. Our broker is dead too. The outpost liaison is stuck with us. We'll have to make some weapons and arm the goblin grinders, beds can wait.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2012, 09:46:07 am »

Available so far:
-chief medical dorf
-broker
-manager
-bookkeeper
Which one do you prefer?
I'll be the bookkeeper.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2012, 10:13:11 am »

Available so far:
-chief medical dorf
-broker
-manager
-bookkeeper
Which one do you prefer?
I'll be the bookkeeper.

Ma'am, it's my duty to inform you, that your husband, Dakost Alakmafol broker, has passed away. His body has been recovered and laid to rest in a coffin. I offer my sincere condolences, and promise that those greenskins will pay for death.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2012, 10:23:55 am »

13th Slate, 1151

At last, a large group of migrants arrived, more than doubling our numbers. A competent swordsdwarf and a talented hammerdwarf are the only military, and all 17 are mortals, but this early I'm quite content with haulers, we need to move in the remains of the doomed caravan anyway. Food must have rotten away by now, but they had some clothes and weapons we couldn't afford. It'd bea shame to let them go to waste.

27th Felsite

The lookouts sounded the alarm: the dead are here again, this time in great numbers. I was just loading a trap with a bismuth bronze pick we recovered from the ambushed caravan, when my faithful war dog lunged at a shadow, which turned out to be a kobold thief. She chased the little cretin into the tunnel we prepared for zombie disposal. All hope that she quickly finishes off the parasite and returns to safety in time vanished when another kobold revealed itself, lunging at my Mosus. I didn't see, but I heard as they crashed into the wave of shambling corpses entering the tunnel... even as I heard her desperate, pained yelps, I shouted the order to pull the lever, and keep pulling until I say otherwise. After that, it was just moans and the rumble of drawbridges, as the long tunnel turned into a giant trash compactor. all in all 2 human necromancers came and were eridicated, with twenty-something elven, goblin and -gasp- dwarven corpses. I never even heard of a rout so horrible, that we could not retrieve the bodies of our fallen brothers. The situation must be worse than we were led to believe.

Axedwarf-in-training NRDL reached legendary status as a miner. He's now strong enough to be a soldier. As soon as there is a training partner, I'll activate him.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 11:18:53 am by Tirion »

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2012, 11:33:50 am »

27th Malachite 1151 Mid-summer
Ten more dwarves arrived today. Another engineer, TWO Great Soapers, and 7 dabblers and children. No soldier material this time. They told a strange story: there were originally only 9 of them, but near the goblin fortress, another soaper stumbled out of a snow storm and joined them. Turns out, she was the engineer's wife. How she got there alone, I have no idea.
Total count: 35 adults, 5 children, 2 babies.

9th Galena, 1151

We found a big cavern DEEP underground. It has a lot of moss, some water, and a few fungiwood, goblin-cap and tower-cap trees. 113 levels below the ice level. I swear I'll tear that scout's face off if he ever comes here, we'd be dead if we had counted on reaching the caverns for soil and water.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 11:48:45 am by Tirion »

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2012, 12:08:12 pm »

7th Limestone, 1151

We've lost several dwarves in the chaos of yet another necromancer invasion, among them an axedwarf. NRDL suffered light injuroes, but killed the murderous cadaver, and lives to fight another day. Others are unaccounted for, though I have no idea how they disappeared. We caged an olm woman necromancer in the goblin grinder. Problem is, there are a bunch of walking corpses with her there. Maybe the next caravan will lend a hand in re-killing them.

20th limestone, 1151

11 new migrants, one of them an axedwarf. I'll ignore the legendary rule and set him to train with NRDL at once.

Eral Tidasheral, husband of our legendary engraver and newly elected expedition leader, was taken by a fey mood. He successfully got all ingredients, though he had to shout a bit to get that sow skinned in time. He created a rose quartz amulet, decorated with pig leather and encircled with bands of oval rose quartz cabochons, square pink garnets and single cut white opals. On the item is an image of dwarves and dwarves in marble. The dwarves are fighting with the dwarves. The artwork relates to the attack on the Decisive Hammers at Chainhammer by the Fleshes of Rope in the late summer of 1149 during Orshetarist the Cremated Assault.

20th Timber, 1151

The caravan arrived with 2 wagons. At last, we have a wide enough entrance tunnel for a full shipment. I hope we can buy useful things, we are in dire need of wood and cloth.

2nd Opal, 1151

The caravan ran in a goblin ambush on the way out. Overeager for battle, the filthy greenskins rushed straight into our goblin grinder. Our brave sons and daughters guarding the carava stood against their tide, and this time, it was us who massacred the enemy without casualties. Our leather and wood stockpiles are high again. Time to arm a few squad, methinks.

14th Slate, 1152, Mid-Spring

So far, our king has failed to send any of his brood our way. Might be better this way, our children will have a chance to grow up, even the weaker ones.
I interrogated the captured necromancer, and a few goblins. They have no great love for each other, the goblins see the grave-robbers as a minor annoyance, who have nothing worth taking, having rendered themselves childless in their search of the same immortality that's each goblin's birthright. Meanwhile, the olm woman sees the goblins, and us for that matter, as raw materials waiting to be processed. She sounded surprisingly menacing for a kobold-sized creature. I'll keep her improsined.

The three goblins were stripped of weaponry and thrown to our axedwarf squad. In addition to the zombie, NRDL now has 3 mortal goblins added to his kill list. That kid has some serious talent, killing faster than his squadmate who's twice his superior in skill.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 04:13:28 pm by Tirion »

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2012, 04:38:27 pm »

15th Felsite, 1152 Late Spring

Elven caravan arrived, and was ambushed at our doorstep by a squad of axegoblins, led by a human maceman. Damn, we need that wood.

16th Felsite

Somehow, the elves managed to rush past the ambushers, and beat them to the goblin grinder. One of their horses is down, but inside our bridges. Which is lucky, as the necromancers came again, with a horde greater than ever. Maybe they want their colleague back. This time we won't fuck it up, I don't want any more casualties.

Mwuhahahaha! 2 more goblin ambushes bumped into the zombies, and are making short work of them as I write. Glad to see they kill each other for a change.

18th Hematite

Dead, dieing, and stuck goblins all over the goblin grinder, one merchant down, the other miraculously escaped. He will no doubt complain to his superiors, and they will no doubt write a strongly worded letter to our king. They should be glad we didn't conquer them like all the other elven nations we stumbled upon. Well, at least not yet.

Things we learned: goblins won't actively attack necromancers, but those cowards will still run like hell from them. Their undead are also easy to kill, when fought separately by coordinated squads.

One of our less promising carpenters was possessed by some spirit of irony, and created an alder hatch cover. It depicts... an unrelated dwarf creating a masterful basalt pot. Our new broker, GWS (mastahcheese, lacking Appraiser skill or inclination to haul his No Job ass to the depot, was reassigned as bookkeeper) estimates the hatch cover is worth about 30000 $. I had reassigned the poor fool (the carpenter, not the broker) to tanner duty, we'd better not allow him near wood ever again.

7th Galena

The Hill Titan Wara Lenaalisa Lebovovadane has come! A gigantic blob composed of salt. It has wings and it has a regal bearing. Let's see how it fares against the pair of axegoblins milling outside.
(5 minutes later)
Judging by the cruel laughter, not well. I'll have a slab engraved for the poor beast.

14th Galena

The goblins got bored and left. At last, our allies, the humans, have found the outpost, and sent a Guild Representative along with the caravan.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 05:38:51 pm by Tirion »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10