Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Chainhammer - Necromancers vs Vampires- A Community Fortress  (Read 9757 times)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chainhammer - Necromancers vs Vampires- A Community Fortress
« on: September 06, 2012, 03:08:03 pm »

Good morning, citizens of Bay12. This is Amon Tirion.

I'm glad to see more than one glacier fortresses here, but thought I could still provide some entertaining new ideas in this challenging and cool (  ;) ;D ) area.

I am currently generating world after world, until I get one that will suffice.

The site:
-glacier embark with goblin, elven and tower neighbours. Human preferable but not necessary. Evilness and savagery are optional.
-long world history, preferably well over 2000
-large number of vampiric curses and necro secrets in worldgen
-200 titans, twice the standard number of megabeasts and semimegabeasts in worldgen (Large Region)
-standard metal, embark priority: flux>metal
-phoebus graphics pack, binary patch to avoid long patrol duty thought while not on patrol, elven and human diplomat modded back in (WAAAAR!!), human guild representative modded in, kobolds [NO_EAT] so they survive.
-added healing rates to nails and cartilage.

The fort:
-defense will initially be trap-centered: goblin grinder, drawbridges, atom smashers. Will be expanded with further trap corridors later, many will be my wirst time with that specific design.
-Vampires will be allowed to live as active military, in a walled-off section of the fortress. They will be encouraged to come openly and use their talents for the betterment of dwarvenkind. (I'll cheat with DT) They will be the spec ops necro-hunter squad.
-Substandard children will be sacrificed to feed the vampires.
-There will be no danger rooms.
-Honest trade. No robbing, no depot deconstructing. This is a military outpost not a bandit camp.
-Population will be capped around 80.
-We'll have a baron, but no king.
-No dfhack. Well, if there is need for tweak fixmerchant, I'll consider it, but only that.
-Non-vampire military will consist of a few small squads of full-time professionals, and the rest of the fort equipped with crossbows and bone/leather armor set to replace clothing: with the exception of woodcutters and miners, once dwarves grow up they shed their soft garments and equip a protective shell. May be upgraded to full metal depending on site, but as it's not a priority...
-Before entering military service, mortals have to become legends in at least one profession. Miner, and later, pump operator, suggested. Vampires become full military, as they gain no muscles.
-Psychological hardening of everyone will happen, with all the children being drained of blood, and sometimes cats and assigned war dogs being deliberately skewered. Further, necromancer-powered attrocities are considered.
-Happiness will be ensured by legendary dining room, statue garden, bedrooms like personal palaces.
-As many dwarves dedicated to a single profession as possible: a few high-skill brewers, tanners, butchers etc instead of an army of dabblers.

-Anyone interested in being dorfed?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 06:03:14 am by Tirion »
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancers vs Vampires- A Community Fortress
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 03:33:23 pm »

Why not, I always liked glassiers for their flat surface.
Dibs on the first vamp.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 03:57:51 pm »

Well, I request a dorfing. The best fightervamp you can find for me, if possible. Preferably the obe that trains the vamp-ops.
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 04:40:26 pm »

Psssh. Everyone knows necros are cooler than vampires.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PTW. If things get crazy or you somehow cage a necromancer I'll probably make some kind of dorfing request.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 07:00:24 pm »

Good luck.

I'll take a soaper. Name him GreatWyrmSuds. GWS wants to figure out how to make a soap hammer, and thinks that vampires know how to form soap into non-bar form. That's why he leads a small army of soapers across the tundra to get here...only to end up with everyone else dead of frostbite and hypothermia. He found some other migrants and never explained his bloody hands.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 08:17:36 pm »

I wish to be dorfed, preferably an abnormally short dwarf, with the backstory/profession of a magically altered kobold spy :P
Name him Tiny.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 09:02:22 pm »

Since big guys are traditionally named Tiny, shouldn't you name your dwarf Hugey?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 04:21:17 am »

Good, lets just jump in!
I think vampire squad can deal with necro invasion without a sweatdrop.
Oh, and lets give them food only when they did they work. No sieges - no blood to drink!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 05:02:05 am »

Dorf me, please.  As a dwarf militaryman, not a vampire. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

BeserkNINJA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 03:48:08 pm »

id like to be dorfed name himHigginbottom III and make him a vamp you find with the description extremly long moustache, id like to be sheriff and use only knives.

also why not make it so you get a count instead of a baron, for vlad's sake man.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 04:06:22 pm »

id like to be dorfed name himHigginbottom III and make him a vamp you find with the description extremly long moustache, id like to be sheriff and use only knives.

also why not make it so you get a count instead of a baron, for vlad's sake man.

I dunno about sheriff/captain of the guard. Will the members of his squad, (the Fortress Guard) carry out beatings/imprisonments if he can't path to the victimscriminals and the jail, by virtue of being burrowed in a closed off section?

BTW, I almost got the desired site genned today... damn those goblins for being conquered when I decided to let worldgen keep running for more vampires.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 04:10:22 pm by Tirion »
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 08:02:04 pm »

Two figures, one stout, one tall but thin, stood before windows, silhouetted by brilliant torchlight.
-"Well... what about Tirion?" asked Zasit Otungid, the King of the Seal of Spirals. -"Mountainhome-born, but... no record of his family."
-"Doesn't have one." Replied the general, an elf with a dwarven name and upbringing, Kikrost Letmoslogem. -"He was raised in the tunnels. Learned to look out for himself."
-"He got most of his squad killed in that siege." The monarch sounded afraid, uncertain.
-"He gets the job done. No matter what the cost." Replied the elf.
-"Is that the kind of person we want leading our most important research project in this millennium?"
-"That's the only kind of person who can do it."
-"I'll make the call."

In the year 24, dwarven adventurers from The Yellow Mansion discovered a stash of engraved stone tablets from before the beginnings of time in The Innocent Glacier. In the decades and centuries that followed, these mysterious artifacts revealed startling new techniques, enabling them to achieve immortality, and to raise and command the dead. The basis for this incredible power was a force that controlled the very fabric of life and death.

They called it the greatest discovery in dwarven history.

The civilizations of The Legendary Planet, Olzulstrasp, call it...

NECROMANCY

1th Granite, 1149

Our team has arrived to the designated site, or as close as one can get here- even in the end of winter, snow storms are frequent and brutal on this wasteland of ice, making navigation problematic. I can only hope the follow-up teams will be able to find us. On the plus side, we could sneak past the goblin fortress without notice- just as well, if I never saw another greenskin again it'd be too soon. On a clear day while crossing the glacier, I saw two other towers to the east, solitary and more slender than the goblin site, I guess these will be our objectives. Anyway, according to the scouts, there should be some flux and ore here, somewhere below the ice. Our band of seven has a pair of axedwarves of passable skill and strenght, but no equipment, so I'd rather be underground before any polar bear comes sniffling around. I assigned the guards and another as miners, and sent them to dig a shelter- it'll provide excercise, and safety. Win-win.

22th Granite, 1149

After 4 layers of ice, we have finally struck stone- rhyolite. Well, nothing fancy, but it will do for now. We started moving our stocks underground. We have:
-Horses (2) (to be butchered at earliest convenience).
-Dogs (2 bitches, 1 sire).
-3 blue peahen, 1 blue peacock.
-3 cats.
-1 boar, 1 sow.
-60ish urists of booze, some food, seeds, cloth, ropes. I'll appoint a bookkeeper as soon as we can spare the time.
We set up some temporary workshops in the shelter, once we dig out the fortress proper, this room will be repurposed to serve the Project. Note to self: need to find cool codename. Maybe I should ask the others?

20th Slate, 1149

We hauled the last of the barrels into the shelter, and have locked the hatch, at least for the time being. The miners have started excavation of a stairwell in the stone layer. So far, we have found more rhyolite, and some basalt. Construction of a goblin grinder commenced.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 01:42:56 pm by Tirion »

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 08:22:14 pm »

Fun fact: King has been ruling since Year 68. 20719 unresolved murders. but at least he worships Zuden, deity of fortresses, war and death.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 09:01:45 pm »

I volunteer to be dorf'd, I'll be a noble, just for a change of pace.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 11:07:11 pm »

oh god Mass Effect reference....
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10