Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: [Succession Fortress] Hauntedhalls, open for business again  (Read 25070 times)

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
Re: [Succession Fortress] Hauntedhalls, looking for overseers
« Reply #150 on: November 05, 2012, 03:42:32 pm »

Did any of the named dwarves die?  :-\

"Tevish's Journal:

This fortress reeks of Fear.  Fear of what is above, and fear of what is below.  But, in our fear and our sorrow, we might be able to gain something of value.  Fear makes us strong, makes us fleet.  Driven by fear, we can still construct the mightiest necropolis the world has ever seen!

Perhaps I sound mad.  You say that there are not enough dwarves, that our skilled miners and masons are few.  But, I do not think that is an imposition.  We have faith and we have fear, and with them skill may be... bypassed.

The current overseer is fading.  I doubt he will last in his post past the start of spring.  Provided I stay alive until then, I have great plans for this fortress.  Yes, great plans indeed."

Great updates, even if Hauntedhalls seems like one of those "Trouble leads into more trouble" forts.  Those are, after all, the most fun.  I hope you're able to fix the mist generator, though: I've never been the best with engineering.

That's the spirit! :D
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

NotaPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 06, 2012, 01:10:10 am »

Did any of the named dwarves die?  :-\

"Tevish's Journal:

This fortress reeks of Fear.  Fear of what is above, and fear of what is below.  But, in our fear and our sorrow, we might be able to gain something of value.  Fear makes us strong, makes us fleet.  Driven by fear, we can still construct the mightiest necropolis the world has ever seen!

Perhaps I sound mad.  You say that there are not enough dwarves, that our skilled miners and masons are few.  But, I do not think that is an imposition.  We have faith and we have fear, and with them skill may be... bypassed.

The current overseer is fading.  I doubt he will last in his post past the start of spring.  Provided I stay alive until then, I have great plans for this fortress.  Yes, great plans indeed."

Great updates, even if Hauntedhalls seems like one of those "Trouble leads into more trouble" forts.  Those are, after all, the most fun.  I hope you're able to fix the mist generator, though: I've never been the best with engineering.

That's the spirit! :D

With all the job canceling messages I don't know who died and who didn't, though I did manage to see Welshman's death.

I'll update soon, it won't be pretty, but it's dwarf fortress after all.

NotaPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 06, 2012, 09:41:23 am »

I'm tired. I'd like to ignore the fact that everyone's dying, but I can't.

I don't know how many coffins are still unused. I don't think we have any more coffins at all. Godammit even the wine feels tasteless. And dwarven wine is my favourite.

Dwarves have started calling me the "Musical circle of rope". If I find that it's somehow a euphemism for something stupid I'll kill whoever else that's still left in the fort.

The giant cave spider has been reported to be killed. I shall have to thank "Gamerboy4life" for using himself to distract the beast. The rest of the military seems to have been injected by poison. I don't know how long it'll last. Maybe it'll die. I don't care.

I'm feeling a little better now. Beat up some caged goblins, framed another dwarf. Tau and Dash27 on the other hand, aren't. I'm going to start commissioning a few gold statues for the public. They'll need it.

Half our legendary works are dead or insane. Great.

Two dwarves stood in the caverns, surveying the damage. Webs still surrounded the area, trapping any unlucky dwarf stupid enough to step onto them. That is, every dwarf that walked past.

"Are you sure this is fine?"  Thikut muttered nervously.

"I'm a genius mechanic, no worries," Tobul puffed his chest in pride, "Door as bait, and cage traps all around, we should be able to stop any pesky scum from trying to doom our fort."

Thikut would have disagreed, but at this point, even a flimsy defense is better than no defenses. With the recent giant cave spider incident, it was even more vital for them to do something. Yet there was something still niggling his mind.

"What about the overseer? Shouldn't we ask him?"

Tobul laughed his words off, "ask him for? He doesn't know anything about the nitty gritty of mechanics. He doesn't even know how to operate them mist generator!"

"...right," Thikut neglected to tell the other dwarf that he had only recently begun work as a mechanic.

"Let's get to hauling the cages then. Standing around won't do anything.

"Right."

Get out of there!

TAU. NO DAMMIT.

I didn't kill him with my hands but...but dammit...!
_______________-

(More shit happened, nothing worth talking about.)

Something happier. Another crazed child who seemed to have taken over a workshop. Maybe he's just stressed out. I don't know.

Human caravan arrived. I shall begin swindling trading with them.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 10:14:45 am by NotaPirate »

Edward_Tohr

• Bay Watcher
  • Stuffs. Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 06, 2012, 12:06:11 pm »

Hmm. This fort seems interesting. I think I'll sign up for a turn.
Quietust, what would we ever do without you and your endless knowledge of v0.23a?
I was going to say "fail spectacularly", but you guys seem to be doing a great job of that already.

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 06, 2012, 12:40:41 pm »

Oh man. I'm dead. That was unexpected. My eldest son must continue the family legacy!
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

NotaPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 06, 2012, 05:12:26 pm »

Oh man. I'm dead. That was unexpected. My eldest son must continue the family legacy!

That reminds me, Dash27 is seriously teetering on the verge of mental breakdown. He's been miserable for far more than your character, yet only throws tantrums. I considered relieving his duty to stop him from getting upset talking to citizens, but idk.

Oh and, the new statue room has turned into the most popular place for suicidal dwarves. Noone can enjoy themselves there because there's at least one moody dwarf dying or tantruming. Great.

NotaPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 07, 2012, 11:44:58 am »

Tevish talked to me the other day, said he wanted to change things. I couldn't be bothered to disagree, so I said I'd let him when everything was over. he seemed doubtful, but honestly, if he just went ahead and took charge of things, I wouldn't care too much. The fort can't be any more doomed than it already is, anyway. He said he would meet up with me later to discuss matters of the fort. I never saw him since.

Dash27 finally cracked. can't say I blame him. I put him down with my own two hands, because I felt I had to. I don't really care anymore, this fort feels like it's going to hell, and it probably is.

________________________________-

What a nice gauntlet. Reminds me of death.

___________________________-

Another dead by my hands. I realised that if I treat it as game, I'd feel less pained.

With our broker dead I called Kivish, the only one with any trading experience, to fufil the role. He seemed happy to get back to appraising. Given that he had been spending half his life in the fort as a garbagedwarf, I would understand.

The traders had nothing much. Kivish traded some wood and wood for a few trinklets. We only have one woodcutter, and he's on the brink of insanity. I figured we'd save the time instead of waiting for the trees to be cut. Scratch that, he's insane. I should've known.

"I really don't know about this, Likot," the fisherdwarf muttered nervously, "I've heard rumors about Hauntedhalls. Bad ones."

The wood burner shrugged, "we went this far, shame to leave now. We've had plenty of trouble with the goblins, and I'd hate to turn back now after going through all that."

"...True."

The fort was, as they had expected, as every doomish as the rumours suggested. Dwarves ran about, babbling furiously. Some were unclothed, and some just lay on the ground, lifeless and cold. Shorast, the glazer, swore heavily. It was horrible; an utter wreck. This wasn't a fortress, this was a mass grave.

A gaunt dwarf greeted them roughly. He was clean shaven and neat, but everything else was different. He bore a scar on his left hand, a small indication of what he had went through. Likot wondered just how much the dwarf had gone through to survive like that.

"Migrants?" He spoke, more of a statement than a question.

"Y-yes." The group nodded simultaneously.

The dwarf muttered to himself for a moment, before pointing to each and every one of the dwarves, assigning a profession to each.

"But I'm a...!" Shorast swallowed his protest halfway when he saw the dwarf's glare. None thought of arguing against him afterward; it felt almost as though his stare could kill someone.

"That's all, now get to work," he turned around to leave, stopping to only say one last parting statement,

"...and don't die on me."

(If anyone wants dwarfing, tell me and your preferred profession. I'll try to find a mentally healthy one, but no guarantees)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 12:11:39 pm by NotaPirate »

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 07, 2012, 01:22:00 pm »

The following page was found on the body of Tevish Szat Atolled, Engraver of Hauntedhalls.  The fluid in which it was written has not been identified, mostly because if it's not ink, nobody wants to know.

"And yet, I believe this is not the end.  Our lives are as transitory as our names.  I know I was not always called Tevish Szat, the sacred name given to me when I moved to this cursed place with its founders, and yet not a soul can remember a time before that, and even the oldest engravings relate my newer name, as though it had always been.

As the fortress approaches ruin, I have begun to delve into the incantations that will assure my immortality before Armok.  The others see it as running and babbling, and I know that this body will expire soon.  It is no matter, the incantations are prepared.

uvyn Tevish Szat return!
uvyn Tevish Szat enter!
uvyn Tevish Szat return!

I shall not be the man I once was, but some immortal part of me shall endure.  Yes, endure forever, whatever the cost.

uvyn Tevish Szat enter! uvyn Tevish Szat return!"

In Tevish Szat's last days, the engraver was often heard to mutter that very phrase: "uvyn Tevish Szat enter" or "uvyn Tevish Szat return" or shriek it while running through the Haunted Halls, sending noisome echoes to disturb the sleep of honest dwarves.  Its meaning is unclear, and will probably never be deciphered seeing as the engraver expired.  Most wrote it off as the simple ravings of one who had lost the last tatters of his sanity, if they even noted it at all in those dark days.  Yet, the inscrutable page was retained, for there were some few dwarves who suspected not only meaning, but dark portent in its contents.

I'll redorf myself when it comes to my turn.  With migrants, the Fortress at least should stay alive until then.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 10, 2012, 11:32:29 am »

What's the framerate like on this fort? If its not too bad I will take a turn.

Edit: Oh great there's a binary patch to fix a bunch of bugs?! Does it work on Mac? Why didn't nobody tell me about this before? This should really go in the mods list if it hasn't already.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 11:34:34 am by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

NotaPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 11, 2012, 12:07:35 pm »

What's the framerate like on this fort? If its not too bad I will take a turn.

Edit: Oh great there's a binary patch to fix a bunch of bugs?! Does it work on Mac? Why didn't nobody tell me about this before? This should really go in the mods list if it hasn't already.

The framerate's still fine, I think. Though I'm using a pretty fast computer myself.

Also sorry for lack of updates, I've been busy. I'll update tomorrow.

Kalemyr Skyfire

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ace of Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 11, 2012, 11:13:18 pm »

I'd like to take a turn.
Also NotaPirate, your year is by far the most entertaining.
Though the death of the named dwarves is a bit saddening...
Quote from: Confucius
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Quote from: Isaac Asimov
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

NotaPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 12, 2012, 06:31:57 am »

I'd like to take a turn.
Also NotaPirate, your year is by far the most entertaining.
Though the death of the named dwarves is a bit saddening...

Thank ye, I try my best.

More dwarves go insane. I want to find replacements for jobs, then I realised those that don't have jobs are usually insane.

I'll have to take some farmers away from their jobs. They don't like it, but the fortress will grind to a halt if I don't at least redirect some of the labour. Some of the peasants are somewhat happy to be relegated to something other than hauling labour though. I guess it's reasonable of them to feel that way.

Amazingly most of our metal workers are still alive, and some of them are even cheerful. I asked them about the dead and insane running about and one of them just blankly stared at me, saying "death? What death? I like that seat by the way. Such fine craftsdwarfship..."

We've had a pair of thieves locked for some time. I went ahead and killed them with my training axe. Felt better afterward.

The sublime three has been constructed. Now even the moodiest dwarf will have a smile on his face as he admires the fine gold tastefully moulded into that of a deity. Today, to commemorate its construction, a child went stark raving mad in front of the statues. It's a great start.

It's good to see some sane dwarves.

I checked the dustbin today. It's full of old clothing. We'll be selling that.

I traded old clothing for some food, wood and other sorts of goods. The trader proposed me to buy some of their cat leather, "freshly skinned for your cat hating desires." I politely declined.

Bomrek told me he needed to do something for the fortress. Something that would utterly change its fate. I told him to stop dreaming.

Bomrek came back with a leather hood, a triumphant grin on his face. I told him nothing about the fort has changed. He said I was a downer. How rude.

Somewhere, a dwarven child kills our master engraver. I told everyone they're devils in disguise, but noone would listen.

I don't think I've deserved it, but it is tradition for overseers to have their own tomb. I couldn't think of a design, so I told the miners to do whatever. They've assured me that they will design the finest tomb for my exalted being. I thought I heard some sarcasm there but I couldn't be sure. I left them to their business anyway.

EVERYONE GET THE HELL INSIDE!

Oh....no.

I've managed to block the stars with hatch covers. Just barely. But it's not going to hold. I'm telling the masons to deconstruct the stairs as soon as possible. I don't know if they'll be able to do it in time.

The stairs have been removed. That cuts off our carpenter and bowyer workshops, but anything is better than the death of our fortress.

Dammit, If, if I could just get up from my bed...!

"Having trouble?"

Pirate turned from his bed, to see a familiar dwarf. He blinked, unsure if he were halluncinating.

"Tevish?"

"I am he," he answered, "you seem to have had quite the tough time."

"If you meant enduring the screams of the dead, I've gotten used to it," Pirate muttered.

"And the seige?"

Pirate said nothing, merely averting his eyes.

"You told me you would let me help when everything was over, but I can't wait that long," Tervish shook his head, "look at you, resting in bed. When you were supposed to die a glorious death in battle, you are dying of thirst because the only water source above ground is hounded by goblins."

"So you want to be in charge."

"I can't say I don't," he gave a small smile, "it's time you had your burden lifted off your shoulders, don't you think?"

"Do what you want. But make sure you bring me water."

"I will."

PROGRESS REPORT.

>Had loads of dwarves die

>Caught some subterranean creatures

>Built a magma forge

>Had the two founders die

>Trapped the entire cavern

>Built the sublime three

>Upgraded my dwarf by killing prisoners

>Had the depot destroyed by trolls

>Failed to do anything worthwhile.

To the next overseer, have fun, because you're going to have to deal with the seige, get a water source before patients die, fortify the magma forges to prevent fire imps from killing everyone, find replacements for the military, and build more coffins for the dead.

Save: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/46322585/hauntedhalls-spr-205.zip
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 06:21:13 am by NotaPirate »

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 13, 2012, 09:16:29 pm »

‼Fun‼

I'll probably give my own take on "State of the Fort" before I unpause and start my turn proper.

Downloading the save now.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 13, 2012, 09:54:15 pm »

Living, Named Dwarves:
Ferlan, Cuckundu, Kamin, Pirate.  I, Naturally, will have a dwarven incarnation shortly.

Everybody else is dead.  Well, that's not true, we actually have plenty of dwarfpower to go around and most of it isn't tantruming at the moment.  We've also run out of placed coffins, so there are quite a few bodies in the refuse heap at the moment.  There are also some dead on the surface.  I'll get slabs carved for them sooner or later, because in our current state we really can't take a siege on -- there are somewhere around 80 invaders (I haven't personally counted) and at the moment living through this turn is more important than glorious victory.  I really hope they can't get in somehow.

Other than that things actually look pretty... tame.  Okay, there are dwarves slowly dying of thirst and no obvious way to get them water (Didn't the fort FLOOD a few updates ago?), as well as quite a lot of unhappiness left.  Of course, once I unpause and my turn really begins, I may be rudely surprised.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 13, 2012, 11:59:35 pm »

"Hey, Tevish!"

I look up at the dwarf talking to me.  It's kind of funny, but my own name sounded strange in my ears.

"I just heard the good news.  Overseer, huh?  How'd you ever end up Overseer?"

I laugh.  Good joke.  Pirate may have been cracking, but I don't even really know him, even in passing.  If I was his successor, he must have just chosen my name out of a hat.

"Well," I say, playing along, "It's just a matter of-"

"Overseer Tevish!" another dwarf calls, "I've just come from the hospital.  people are dying of thirst in there!"

Soon enough, other dwarves all arrive, asking me more questions about the state of the Fortress and all sorts of things I don't know how to answer.

Zuden preserve me... I really am Overseer!

So, second day on the job, I've actually managed to look over the situation.  In short, it's not good.  The only positive thing is that we have a chance to start over now.  I've ordered the caverns walled off safely, and as for the surface, well... perhaps it would be better if we forgot that the surface ever existed.  I'm also working on construction orders in the depths.  We need to keep the fire imps from getting in, because Armok knows that's the last thing we need right now.

The funny thing is that yesterday, I wasn't ready to be Overseer of this place, but now... I have all these ideas swimming in my head.  First, we're going to need more miners, and for that we'll need more picks.  Lots more.  We're also going to need food, of course, and drink.  Other than that, Masonry will be critical to my design.  Skilled workers are being allowed access to the workshops (when I can find them) and others are assigned new ranks in accordance with their service to the fortress and, of course, to their favor in the eyes of Armok.  Those that are useful and unflinchingly loyal have been made Acolytes or Masters of their craft.

The rest are going to have to get used to their place in the new order.

(So, I reassigned professions.  A lot of workers will probably go back to their favored crafts when I get around to restoring industries other than stone, metal, and food.  "Whatever Acolytes" have that profession and related hauling enabled, Slaves have hauling, masonry, a little healthcare, and stone detailing.  Mine Slaves are my new miners.  Other profession names should be obvious.  Named dwarves without custom professions are "Hand of Armok" now.  I haven't finished this process yet, but I think we're out of brewers, our "brewmasters" will be very lucky dwarves.  The lot that have to drink the swill they no doubt produce, not so much.

Still haven't unpaused.  Hopefully I'll be able to finish the profession reassignment and initial designations tomorrow or thursday and update with that.
)

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14