Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: [Succession Fortress] Hauntedhalls, open for business again  (Read 25057 times)

dash27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Succession Fortress] Hauntedhalls, looking for overseers
« Reply #135 on: October 24, 2012, 07:03:57 pm »

4th Timber, 204

Is it Timber, already?  I cannot believe it is late autumn. These past few months have just flown by, haven’t they Feb?

Ok, cookie, I will be out of the office most of the day.  I need to thank the miners for finishing the reservoir drain and allowing this place to dry out much faster than it would have otherwise. Also, I need to head up to the surface and check that the masons are covering up those pits we dug and securing that extra staircase we had to build during the flood.

Oh, and most importantly, I hear that one of our mechanics has been furiously working in his workshop.  I hope whatever he comes up with can be placed in a prominent location for all to see and enjoy.

6th Timer, 204

On behalf of the entire fortress, I would like to honor Tobul Risentogum  for his creation of the artifact Tudrugnanir, a siltstone mechanism.  We shall construct a lever with it and place it in the dining hall for all to see.

15th Timer, 204

Yes, Feb, what is it?

Oh, the liaison from the mountainhome is here?  I haven’t seen Onul is years.  Did a caravan arrive with him?  Wonderful.  Send Tau up to conduct the trade and tell the mayor of Onul’s arrival.

20th Timber, 204

Welcome to Haunted Halls, traders!  How’s is life in the mountainhome?  Wonderful, right?  Did you bring any of the latest fashions with you?

An ambush!  Where?  Who is that out there?  Spinning Welshman! 

No, you noodle brain!  Run this way.  Run this way!

[[Click the link to see a re-enactment of Spinning Welshman's flight from the goblins.    http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1351116417  ]]

20th Timber, 204 Continued

Well done, everyone.  Very well done.  I am glad to see that your skills in combat are improving troops.  And Spinning Welshman, while I admire your desire to distract the goblins by running around like a crazed kobold, next time, just head straight for the fortress, ok sweetie?

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 25, 2012, 10:53:58 am »

Wow. You must have feb-ulous DF skills. :P

I hope we did get some good stuff from the caravan. :D
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

dash27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 26, 2012, 11:24:19 am »

2nd Moonstone, 204

Well Onul, old friend.  It seems that the traders are still unloading their goods.  Why don’t I take you on a tour of the fortress and introduce you to some of its citizens.

The Surface

Level Z-1
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Level Z-2

Level Z-3

Level Z-4

Level Z-5

Level Z-6

Level Z-7

Level Z-8

Level Z-9

Level Z-10

Level Z-11

Level Z-12

Level Z-13 - Level Z-21

Level Z-22

Dwarf Citizens

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 26, 2012, 11:49:25 am »

Looks good. In case you missed it, the previously flooded area used to be the hospital including well, you can still see some of the furniture there.

Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

dash27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2012, 06:35:47 pm »

15th Moonstone, 204

Oh hello, Tau.  I trust that everything went smashingly with the traders?  Wonderful. I am glad they valued the quality of the bone and shell crafts that crafters have been producing.  Some of them were quite fantastic, if i may say so.

It appears that you got enough cloth to put the whole fortress in the new winter fashions, which is fantastic.  Also leather and weapons to outfit the military. Splendid job, good lookin’.

3rd Opal, 204

Alrighty, my trusty fellow.  I have less than two months left as liaison to the overlord and then somebody else will be in charge.  Perhaps they may keep me as manager, but somebody else will be calling the shots. In any event, lets tidy things up for the new guy shall we?

Let’s get Tevash Szat and his crew to engrave our dining hall. You know, add a bit of pizzazz to the place.

Also, I noticed that none of our military seem to be issued a complete set of equipment.  I don’t know about you, Feb, but that doesn’t seem to safe to me.  Let’s have all of the Hammerers donate their gear to the Axe Dwarfs for the time being.  Since steel production is a little slow at the moment, lets create a set of iron armor for the Hammerers while we stock back up on steel, then return to steel equipment.  Sound good?

22th Obsidian, 204

A goblin was caught in the traps?  I don’t like the sound of this, Feb.  Bring everyone inside and let’s lock down the fort, okay?

What is it, Kol?  I already heard about the snatcher?  A thief in the fort?  Send the Axe Dwarfs at once.

Ezum, you will have to wait a second, sweetie. I am in the middle of discussing important matters with Feb and Kol.  An ambush!! Why did you not say so right away, lad.

26th Obsidian, 204

Wow, those cage traps sure did the trick.  All except for one ran right into them.  But that last little bugger is just standing there, ready to fire an arrow at anybody that sticks his head out. Well, I guess that isn’t my concern anymore, is it Feb?

It was a pretty good year, wasn't it Feb?  Maybe I’ll get another chance to be in charge in a couple of years.

dash27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 27, 2012, 06:40:55 pm »

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 28, 2012, 01:44:25 pm »

OP updated and next overseer contacted.

Solid work on year 204! ;D

~HPL~

NotaPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 28, 2012, 05:21:38 pm »

I'm gonna need a day or two to get my exams sorted out. Afterwards I'll be able to update.

NotaPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2012, 10:49:02 pm »

Ugh. What a hangover.

Thethrus bloody Letmoslogem. Where the hell am I.

UGH MY HEAD. I need to cut down on the wine. Or maybe I should stop sleeping. Hangovers only happen when you wake up.

I don't even know where am I. How long have I been fucking drunk? A year? Two? I barely recognise this dung hole.

Maybe I should leave.

Wait what's this on my bed?

Overseer?

What the fuck?

NotaPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 30, 2012, 11:05:17 pm »

I got ahold of the previous guy running the fort. He seemed pretty cheerful, which is the complete opposite of what I'm feeling right now.

"Oh deary me, what happened to you Pirate? You look so marvellously worked up!" He exclaimed daintily. I don't know how he does it. Everything about him smells of flowers. I think he's an elf in disguise.

Clean shaven and neatly combed? Only elves are clean freaks like that.

"No wait that's not the point," I gave my biggest, most intimidating scowl. He didn't seem to be affected. He's definitely an elf.

"Deary me, whatever is your point then?"

"I found this on my bed," I lifted the accursed scrap of paper in front of the dwarf's face, and waved it around just in case he couldn't see it.

"Ah yes, my year as acting overseer is over for now. I thought a person of your calibre would be most absolutely suited for the job," he clasped his hands together with a dainty sigh, "so I thought I would hand over my authority to you!"

"I'll kill you."

"Now now, enough of playing around. I know death threats are funny, but you have work to do!" He smiled, "off you go now! And I do hope you will do good to this fort!"

I would have split his head then, but he pushed me out of his room before I could. Bloody elven thing. I'm going to relegate him to garbage duty. I'll see if he can get any daintier dumping trash.

Speaking of dumping.

Why the hell is everyone dumping items? What the fuck are they doing?

No don't tell me, I don't give two bloody shits. I'll let them do whatever.

Okay why is the military inactive. Why is noone training. This is stupid. I'm getting a bunch to train.

And I'll be the militia captain! This will be fun! (sarcasm)

Who the fuck is Kamin. Why is he hogging half the dining room.

THIS AIN'T YOUR HOME BUDDY, GET OFF

Infact, who was the asshole who made him the captain of the guard? We don't need guards. I'll leave them because I can't be bothered, but no way am I giving him the dining room. He can go eat himself.

Not long after a child goes insane. With this kind of fort layout I wouldn't be bloody surprised.
OH SHUT UP ALREADY

Why are you making iron? We have marble, Go bloody make steel!

Why is there a troll. Someone kill it.

Insane child made an amulet.

Okay this is. Screw this I'm getting drunk. This place is an utter screwy mess.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 11:35:56 pm by NotaPirate »

dash27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2012, 11:38:06 am »

Love it!  Can't wait for more.

NotaPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 02, 2012, 11:55:35 am »

I'm back, and more drunken than ever.

I would also like to tell the last overseer who smoothed that magnetite wall to go eat himself.

Why are we hiding underground like cowards? Everyone, out! I don't care if you puke, just get out! And get me some strawberries while we're at it!

Somewhere, a dwarven baby dies of thirst. I don't care.

I don't like the looks of those goblins. We're stripping them. Yes we're stripping them naked

SHUT UP JUST DO AS I SAY

"So what's this thing here?" I tapped the rotating axle with a finger.

"Well...it's a mist generator!" Dash27 said.

"No, I know that. So why mist isn't coming out?"

The dwarf thought for a moment, twirling his overly long sideburns as he did. Finally, he clasped his hands together and said the most intelligent thing I've ever heard from him so far,

"It's...a mist generator!"

I'm definitely going to relegate him to garbage duty.

Why the fuck is there a troglodyhdhfjTHINGAWHATSISDAHFUCK JUST GO KILL IT

A dwarven baby was kicked to death, and one of our engravers has a bruised liver. Don't ask, I just know the baby died.

Ah, more fodde- I mean, Migrants! Let's hope plenty are useful enough, or it's garbage duty for the rest of them.

More of them? Where the hell are they coming from?!

Excitement!

Go my minions! For the hoard!

One dead marksdwarf, and the werething transformed into a dwarf before he was done. He was killed anyway.

Five more dead children from a trogolydite thing. Okay fuck them. I'm going to kill every one of those fuckers.

Die baby killers, dieeeeeeeeee

SUDDENLY, ALLIGATOR. MORE DEAD DWARVES.

Heyhey, Dash27, more of your kind!

FAK MY ARM OH GOD MY ARM I THOUGHT YOU ASSHOLES DISARMED THEM AGHHHHHAGHDFHONSDHHF

The rest of this journal is splattered with blood and tears.

dash27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 02, 2012, 12:14:53 pm »

From the image you posted, it looks like the lever that connects the windmills to the mist generator is set to OFF.

NotaPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 04, 2012, 03:45:01 am »

Bloody goblins, I'll kill them all. Butt faces the lot of them!

A bunch of smartasses went outside, said they were military and didn't have to give a shit about burrows. They were promptly killed.

Okay screw it, you know what, just kill them. I don't care anymore.

Our military is in tatters. Apparently crossbows are better against swords. That, and the result of dwarven stupidity. I would like to pretend that never happened, but apparently I'm supposed to pay a visit to "broken families in need of grief counselling". I told dash27 to do it because I can't be arsed.

Tantrums everywhere. Dash27 and Tau say that they can't do much about it. I told them to stop doing grief counselling and just get the idiots to shut up.

"So let me get this straight. You pull this lever, and the mist generator will generate happy mist."

Dash27 nodded, "this should keep the tantruming military a little happier, no doubt."

"Well, let's pull it then."

"..."

"..."

"I'll go ask the engineers."

Don't just stand there! Kill the guy before he kills everyone else!

Fuck. My son died. I feel miserable. Fucking miserable. I don't like kids but fuck, he called me daddy.

Dash27 came back to me the other day. Apparently the water refills every now and again, but it doesn't give out enough mist. I might need to fix that, when everyone stops screaming.

Migrants. Can't say I'm not pleased to see them. I told them not to talk about the screaming and yelling and get to work in the fort. They looked unnerved, but it's not like they're going to run off back to the mountainhomes.

Dash27 came to me the other day, red eyed from crying. He told me he couldn't take it anymore. He'd been elected mayor, but it was too stressful to be cried on by every citizen every day. I tried to comfort him, told him I'd give him his own dining room and whatnot. He seemed a little happier after that but I couldn't be sure.

You'll be missed.

I heard a bunch of the military got caught by a giant cave spider. I dont' know if they'll die or not, but I'm sealing the caverns till further notice.

Ugh...I feel so depressed. Even my writing is depressing. Godammit where's my beer. I need a drink.

(OOC: Everything went downhill after the ambush. Idk what to do now. Probably going to finish with half the original dwarves left.)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 03:56:14 am by NotaPirate »

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 05, 2012, 02:45:38 pm »

"Tevish's Journal:

This fortress reeks of Fear.  Fear of what is above, and fear of what is below.  But, in our fear and our sorrow, we might be able to gain something of value.  Fear makes us strong, makes us fleet.  Driven by fear, we can still construct the mightiest necropolis the world has ever seen!

Perhaps I sound mad.  You say that there are not enough dwarves, that our skilled miners and masons are few.  But, I do not think that is an imposition.  We have faith and we have fear, and with them skill may be... bypassed.

The current overseer is fading.  I doubt he will last in his post past the start of spring.  Provided I stay alive until then, I have great plans for this fortress.  Yes, great plans indeed."

Great updates, even if Hauntedhalls seems like one of those "Trouble leads into more trouble" forts.  Those are, after all, the most fun.  I hope you're able to fix the mist generator, though: I've never been the best with engineering.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14