Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 134

Author Topic: Delving the Tomb of Horrors: Lincoln is no match for Acererak!  (Read 371499 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: Delving the Tomb of Horrors: Shit gets serious
« Reply #885 on: September 27, 2012, 06:00:19 pm »

Start stabbing at Acererak with my sword.

If magic starts happening, back up.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: September 27, 2012, 06:20:54 pm »

You know people mentioning beheading themselves make me want to ask. Was it D&D that had the critical failures that could lead to you beheading yourself and everyone around you?
Not officially, no.

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: September 27, 2012, 06:22:00 pm »

Damn I know there is one game that had/has critical failures that leads to that but I'm not sure which one.

Edit: Well thanks to TvTropes I found one of them "Older versions of RuneQuest had a notoriously unforgiving fumble chart. Some player did the math and determined that of a squad of 200 trained swordsmen, after 2 minutes of battle, 10 of them would be dead from self-decapitation."
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 06:25:50 pm by zacen299 »
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: September 27, 2012, 06:29:44 pm »

Technically you are supposed to cut off your own hand and replace it with the mummified one, but for some reason the thought of someone using it to slap enemies around makes me giggle uncontrollably, so enjoy your fancy new melee weapon.
Is that the hand I think it is?
Probably not.
Not gonna lie, that's the hand I thought of too.
I have no idea what hand you guys are talking about, but the most sinister thing this hand can do is give your enemies a case of mummy rot.
They're talking about the hand of Vecna. It's an artifact of a deity of undeath that has to be attached to a hand-stump to function.
He also left behind an eye, and was rumored to have left behind his head, but after half a party of adventurers beheaded themselves trying to get at it, it turns out it was just a skull.

It's famous enough to have its own Wikipedia entry. It grants an array of magical abilities to whoever presses it to their arm-stump, which for most adventurers means they need to chop off a hand. It grants further powers if you also possess the Eye of Vecna, and tends to do bad things to Good characters. Given the current game, I'd expect it to intermittently attempt to strangle anyone who isn't a Lich while being awesome enough that any adventurer foolish enough to enter the Tomb of Horrors in the first place will also be unable to resist continued usage of the Hand.

The Head of Vecna is an entirely different (if hilarious) thing.

Damn I know there is one game that had/has critical failures that leads to that but I'm not sure which one.

Edit: Well thanks to TvTropes I found one of them "Older versions of RuneQuest had a notoriously unforgiving fumble chart. Some player did the math and determined that of a squad of 200 trained swordsmen, after 2 minutes of battle, 10 of them would be dead from self-decapitation."

To be fair, critical fumble tables are one of the most popular homebrew elements of a D&D game.

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: September 27, 2012, 06:35:21 pm »

To be fair, critical fumble tables are one of the most popular homebrew elements of a D&D game.

True and I know some people do have decapitating yourself in there but that RuneQuest is hilarious seriously 10 trained swordsmen in 2 minutes? I don't even want to know how that is possible.
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: September 27, 2012, 06:37:30 pm »

I the tank shall ram the lich to  grab the mace and give it big welcome to the lichs brains
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: September 27, 2012, 07:26:05 pm »

Name: Razdak
Class: Shaman (Mage)
Race: Awakened Mouse

Weapons: Cuteness?
Armour: Head Feather, Body Paint

Spells: Create Anvil, Anchor Objects, Animate Object, Gust of Wind, Dumbfire Magic Missile

Items: Cheese

Is this okay? If so I will make my way to the lich and start casting Create Anvil to create as many anvils as I can.

Radzak, Meshach, and Abednego wanders into the dungeon and into the crypt of Acererak.

[20] Acererak didn't know what hit him (it was an anvil, if you're wondering). 1 damage
That really wasn't meant to be an attack; just the first part of a multi-round multi-spell combo attack. Step one is creating anvils.

Radzak will try to cast Create Anvil on the ground near himself.

Also, you seemed to have mixed up the race and class between greymountain_Sage and myself in the list of adventurers, So that it looks like Tarmik the Magnificent turned himself into an awakened mouse wearing magicians clothes, and me into a human wearing nothing but body paint. Quite an impressive feat of prestidigitation, considering our size differences.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

greymountain_Sage

• Bay Watcher
  • This person is quite mad. Enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: September 27, 2012, 07:47:35 pm »

Also, you seemed to have mixed up the race and class between greymountain_Sage and myself in the list of adventurers, So that it looks like Tarmik the Magnificent turned himself into an awakened mouse wearing magicians clothes, and me into a human wearing nothing but body paint. Quite an impressive feat of prestidigitation, considering our size differences.

Yep, that's my most impressive trick. Except for when I pull a rabbit out of this hat. Watch.
(Pulls a lion out of the hat, shrieks, then shoves it back in)
Uh... I meant to do that.
"There are no traps in this roo-"
-Last words of an impatient adventurer.

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: September 27, 2012, 08:57:01 pm »

Attack Again
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: September 27, 2012, 08:58:36 pm »

How much health does this lich even have?

greymountain_Sage

• Bay Watcher
  • This person is quite mad. Enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: September 27, 2012, 09:46:21 pm »

Last thing we fought had a ton of health, and that was just a random gargoyle. This is a (probably fake) final boss, so presumably quite a lot.
"There are no traps in this roo-"
-Last words of an impatient adventurer.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: September 27, 2012, 10:17:07 pm »

((That mace seems to do a lot of damage, so thats probably the key to killing the damn thing. Perhaps a wizard should use anit-magic to stop the lich from casting spells?))

Open the secret door and have a look behind it. Make sure to stand to the side of the thing before opening it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: September 27, 2012, 10:54:26 pm »

Shitballs, I died. A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS!!!

Name: MaxClone2
Race: Human
Class: Fighter
Equipment: Two-handed sword, heavy armor, as many healing potions as he can get his hands on.

MaxClone2 heads to the site of MaxClone1's critical existence failure.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 11:39:25 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: September 27, 2012, 11:01:04 pm »

I still can't believe we couldn't hit the lich with two of us shooting. We have the worst luck. Edit: And the fact that your roll failed on top of that just sucked. I give myself two rounds before I die if I'm lucky.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 11:06:34 pm by zacen299 »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: September 27, 2012, 11:27:34 pm »

I shall not die! It is in my plan for this sexy bitch to survive this place!

I shoot the motherfrakking Lich and HIT HIM THIS TIME! :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 134