Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 43

Author Topic: LP Civ4:C2C (6050 BC - Slightly delayed)  (Read 144934 times)

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Civilization IV: Caveman2Cosmos (23867 BC)
« Reply #180 on: August 03, 2012, 11:55:52 am »

First of all, adopting slavery at all will make EVERY single civ which doesn't have slavery get a happiness boost, allowing them to develop more effectively. Second, buildings like the slave camp which make us more productive early game will make very heavy unhappiness late gave, if we adopt the majority of late game civics.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Civilization IV: Caveman2Cosmos (23867 BC)
« Reply #181 on: August 03, 2012, 12:08:50 pm »

Also throwing in a veto for divine cult, at least for now. Iirc, and if the desc does what it says on the tin (and in the version I've got, anyway), divine cult freezes your culture boundaries, which sounds like an absolutely terrible thing to inflict on ourselves in the early game/expansion phase. Later... maybe. Maybe.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Civilization IV: Caveman2Cosmos (17967 BC)
« Reply #182 on: August 03, 2012, 12:37:44 pm »

Alrg+ight, let's keep on trucking towards Raft Building, shall we?

The community is devastaded by a powerful hurricane. Certain elements of Jivaro society proclaim that this is the punishment of the sky spirits for the corruption and immorality of our youth.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A large amount of housing is damaged. As it turns out, grass huts are not very resistant to hurricane-force winds.

We figure out how to make some primitive ropes.

Geen kills yet another viper.

And then Sikhism is founded. There's no funny old guy arriving to tell us stories this time, though.

The next religion-founding tech after Naturopathy is Shamanism, I believe. Have a look at the tech tree.

Our youth continues its eternal descent into immorality and depravity. Kids these days...

Our woodworking skills increase as we approach the Rafture. The Rafture is one of my favorite stories about Chris.

Somebody has built the first wonder of the world, the Lascaux Paints!

Whatever. We develop more woodworking - this time, we learn Bark Working.

Now we can build bark huts as well as grass huts. However, bark huts actually replace grass huts but have the same stats, so we don't really benefit.

More technology...

More phlebotomy...

Thanks to our recent advances in woodworking and rope-making, we can now combine sticks and stones into one mighty weapon!

Geen gets a new toy. Stone Axemen are almost identical to Spiked Clubmen, but they get a 50% bonus vs. melee units instead of 25%.

Despite both this and a slow buildup of Neanderthal Warriors, we are not very powerful by international standards.

We develop some more woodworking.

Turns out there's some nice timber to our south.

We're almost there! With Carpentry researched, all that's left is to research Raft Building itself!

Oh no! A barbarian Neanderthal!

Geen handles him, no problem.

In anticipation of our crossing, we build our first scout! We name him Jacob Lee because the game doesn't accept slashes in names.

And then, after all our hard work, sweat and tears, we reach it. Rafture.

...So where to next?

Also, IIRC, Fixed Borders do not freeze your borders in place, they just let you send soldiers to places not inside your borders and say "this is my land now" and claim it.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 03, 2012, 02:37:39 pm »

Oh, go for Shamanism because it looks like there are some ways to use vipers in there (assuming the snake pit is one of them) and having a religion could be useful.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 03, 2012, 02:49:17 pm »

I say bartering. We'll need gold to fuel galactic conquest.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 03, 2012, 03:04:14 pm »

Oh, go for Shamanism because it looks like there are some ways to use vipers in there (assuming the snake pit is one of them) and having a religion could be useful.
Since I have absolutely no idea of what these tech are doing (I have Civ4, but not BTS nor C2C), I'll go with this because snake pits sounds funny.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 03, 2012, 03:09:42 pm »

We can do that, sure. Mind you, we need to capture a viper first. And we can't use it to found a religion because somebody else has already researched it and founded Sikhism. Come to think of it, I ought to do a quick writeup of the techs:

Canine Domestication: Lets us train wardogs and start herding animals.
Games: Prerequisite tech that does nothing.
Petroglyphs: Cave paintings.
Counting: Learn basic counting, improves research.
Microlith: Provides a national wonder that boosts military unit production.
Flint Knapping: Revelas several types of stone, building improves military unit production.
Heat Treatment: Prerequisite tech, with one unique unit we can't build.
Tattoos: If we had dye, tattoos would slightly improve our units' strength.
Stone Building: Basic stone huts.
Spear Making: Take a guess.
Sewing: We don't have any kind of cloth though.
Bead Making: Pretty baubles.
Portable Shelters: Benefits from horses or bison.
Spearfishing: Slightly more food.
Warfare: Learn to fight before you can read.
Tanning: We don't have leather, but we do have bamboo! Bamboo armorers require a city population of 6 but give a promotion that gives a +20% bonus against archery units.
Barter: Reveals resources like amber, silver and gold. Improves economy and enables barter economic civic.
Atlatl Making: Enables best prehistoric ranged unit.
Fire making: Increases health and lets us build fire pits. Also obsoletes the stick gatherer.
Hunting Tactics: Lets us build the hunter, an upgrade of the tracker. We can build neither though, because we haven't captured enough animals.
Slavery: Enables the slavery civic, plus fighting pits and crucifixion crosses.
Obsidian Weapons: Enables several unique units.
Arithmetic: Enables two crime-reduction buildings:
Shamanism: First to discover founds a religion. Somebody else has gotten to it first.
Earth Oven: Boosts food.
Tribalism: Lets us settle new cities. Also enables the tribal society civic.
Pictographs: Prerequisite tech.
Ceremonial Burial: Doesn't actually enable that much, you need other techs like masonry to build most of those buildings.
Boat Building: Lets us build canoes.
Chiefdom: A better government civic, a building that increases unit experience, and more uses for captured animals.
Animal Husbandry: Various buildings that require animals.
Mysticism: A couple of myths and reveals incense. Enables divine cult.

Mind you, this is all by memory, since I don't have the game open right now.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 03, 2012, 03:16:08 pm »

Research games and pictographs. Obviously the best choices.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 03, 2012, 03:20:36 pm »

Ah, definitely have tribalism before your raft(s) starts picking up those... island things. If they're in this game, and you actually need the tech before it'll gift you them. Game I'm running with small islands I got five, six tribes from those damn island-things. Got cities latched onto whatever landmass they're nearest simply because th'rafts can't carry more than one tribe >__<

Anyway. Vague waving toward "tribalism before picking up gift island-whatsits, if that's what we need to get free cities."
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 03, 2012, 03:38:36 pm »

Ah, definitely have tribalism before your raft(s) starts picking up those... island things. If they're in this game, and you actually need the tech before it'll gift you them. Game I'm running with small islands I got five, six tribes from those damn island-things. Got cities latched onto whatever landmass they're nearest simply because th'rafts can't carry more than one tribe >__<

Anyway. Vague waving toward "tribalism before picking up gift island-whatsits, if that's what we need to get free cities."
Were you playing on Settler difficulty? You don't get free tribes on higher difficulties, I think, but when I played my first game on Settler by accident I got two tribes from huts.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 03, 2012, 03:46:07 pm »

I was going to say Games just because that sounds great, but if its pointless then we'll entertain ourselves other ways.

Tribalism is probably the best, since we want to found new cities sooner rather than later, even if they stay on our island.

And can I request that the first raft be named for the fellow who's been going c'mon guys lets get across the water the whole damn time?  Me and my mighty banded-log-with-paddle ain't afraid of no hurricanes.  I honor the sky spirits as brothers to we the obviously awesome ground spirits, not as lords, and there's land over there I'm telling you guys I can see it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 03, 2012, 04:09:05 pm »

Tribalism is definitely most important.

I still support draining the Mayapanponpenpu Sea and just walking across, but if you really want to use the silly rafts...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 03, 2012, 04:42:14 pm »

Ahh I fixed the game (and rendered my old save useless)

Anyhow we REALLY are in here for the long haul.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 03, 2012, 05:46:33 pm »

I feel like I remember Tribalism giving a free tribe to either the first person to discover it or to everyone... but that might just be gathering I'm thinking of.

I think Tribalism should have a relatively high priority, but barter and canine domestication could be good too. Also flint knapping could be good so we have a better idea of where to put our next city.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 03, 2012, 06:53:26 pm »

Yeah, I'll roll with Tribalism as well.
Tribalism is definitely most important.

I still support draining the Mayapanponpenpu Sea and just walking across, but if you really want to use the silly rafts...
No, no, if anything, we should walk across the sea like that guy Chris could from the stories.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 43