Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 43

Author Topic: LP Civ4:C2C (6050 BC - Slightly delayed)  (Read 144886 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Civilization IV: Caveman2Cosmos (27567 BC)
« Reply #150 on: August 02, 2012, 10:25:07 am »

Madness!  We already have vipers, I say we start there.  How big do vipers grow, anyway?
The largest viper in Mayanpanpenponpu is the Mayanpanpenponpu Viper, which sadly only grows to 4 or five feet long and weighs 20 pounds if it has not devoured a small child recently. They aren't very aggressive, but when they do bite... (Terror)

I am afraid we will not be able to employ them as mounts until we research genetic engineering.

Or commit to several generations of careful husbandry.  Which literally is genetic engineering, just a really slow way of doing it.  How fast do vipers reproduce anyway?  I think it only took a few centuries to raise original wild horses from donkey-sized to big enough to pull tree stumps.  I'm telling you man, we've got millennia to burn here, let's do something worth remembering.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 02, 2012, 10:28:49 am »

Heretics, all of you! The bits of rock that you can see on the horizon when the air is clear are not other worlds but pegs that hold the sky and the sea together. If not for them the sky would fall off and the sea would drain over the edge.
We should under no circumstances go there, least we unhinge the pegs and cause a calamity.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 02, 2012, 10:40:04 am »

Heretics, all of you! The bits of rock that you can see on the horizon when the air is clear are not other worlds but pegs that hold the sky and the sea together. If not for them the sky would fall off and the sea would drain over the edge.
We should under no circumstances go there, least we unhinge the pegs and cause a calamity.

Its exactly that kind of dogmatic thinking that made the road to the stone pit take three hundred generations to build.  We haven't knocked over the volcano yet, how could we possibly knock over the sky pillars?  Even if the worst should come to pass, I'm sure the five mighty mountains surrounding us will be sufficient to keep the sky up if it falls.  It'll just be a little closer, that's all.  The sea draining wouldn't be so great, but then we'd be able to walk to other lands anyway!

Where would our glorious tribe be if the guys who killed that snake and knocked out that eagle and inspired our entire cultural heritage said, nah, I don't want to rock the boat that we can't conceptualize yet by taking a few risks?
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 02, 2012, 10:41:53 am »

If not for them the sky would fall off and the sea would drain over the edge.
The waves would be so extreme....

Have we invented surfing yet never mind I'll figure it out later, time to unhinge those worldpegs.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 02, 2012, 10:53:13 am »

Oh, COME ON GUYS. Who cares? The sky spirits do what they do, and we do what we do, and none of it really matters anyways cos' the sky spirits gave us the wild plants.

Now one of you help me milk this viper.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 02, 2012, 11:33:35 am »

Hrmph. Them liberal youngsters. Today you want to swim to the edge of the world, even if there is a good probability of destroying the civilisation as a result. What's it going to be tomorrow? You'll want to marry a neanderthal?
The problem is that we've become way too comfortable here. Our kids hang around in the caves and talk too much instead of doing something productive. I mean, get a job. Those sticks won't gather themselves.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Civilization IV: Caveman2Cosmos (23867 BC)
« Reply #156 on: August 02, 2012, 11:45:48 am »

Alright, so we use the Eagle to build the Myth of the Sky, which gives +1 science and a Song of the Sky in every city, and the song is one of the prerequisites for the Nazca lines. I guess I misremembered a little bit, but eh, it's close enough.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meanwhile, Geen gives chase to the Neanderthal.

And he chases...

And in the middle of the chase we develop Bone Working.

The Neanderthal is cornered.

He chooses to fight rather than run further...

And falls to Geen's spiked club. MonkeyHead's death has been avenged.

Meanwhile, we move closer to our goals of TOTAL WORLD DOMINATION by inventing Basketry. Once we invent sports we'll be able to play Underwater Basket Weaving! No wait, that'd be Extreme Sports we'd have to research.

We're really blazing through these techs.

Here it is! Finally, we can actually catch fish!

After a bit of deliberation I decide to just beeline Raft Building, since that's what people want anyway.

As it turns out, there's plenty of fish in the sea!

Geen takes on yet another viper. No guesses as to how that goes.

We research Ground Stone. No, not stone that's on the ground, stone that has been ground. As in the verb grind.

We also complete Culture (Neanderthal)! Since it's a World Wonder, we get a cool movie too!

Not content with marrying Neanderthals, the young people of our tribe invent Natural Pigments so they can dye their eyebrows.

There's not much going on beyond research right now. I miss the good old times. All those years Geen spent chasing that Neanderthal...

Our borders get bigger again; now there's even fewer places for barbarians and wild animals to spawn. Also, we can't harvest that silk yet.

We're the second bigger civilization in the game! Probably because we're so cultured.

We continue our quest to get off this island until I decide it's time to put an end to this update.

Alright, before I end this update, I'd like to talk a little bit about civics. Namely, Religious and Economic civics.

In regards to religion, we have Irreligion, Folklore, Prophets and Divine Cult. Note that only the first two have been researched yet.Irreligion means a lack of religion, while Folklore is basically a collection of stories with no real unifying theme or pantheon. Prophets means prophets go around being prophety and preach their religion without the government having any kind of control over it, while Divine Cult means the leader of the nation is worshipped as a god, like ancient Egypt or modern-day North Korea.

In economic matters, we have None, Barter and Slavery, if I remember correctly. None just sucks, so we'll want to upgrade from that. Barter and slavery are both pretty self-explanatory.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 02, 2012, 11:55:49 am »

I'm curious how it is that you can bee-line rafting while researching all these other technologies.  Do you discover two things at a time or something?

For civics, I say at the best opportunity we enable Folklore to reflect our great bullshitting traditions, and Slavery because we're clearly conquering and absorbing the minor population of Neanderthals on Mayanpanpenponpu.

Kinda sucks that sooner or later there won't be any room for wild animals and barbarians to spawn, but the leap from two-tile-wide culture to three is pretty massive.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 02, 2012, 11:59:39 am »

I'm curious how it is that you can bee-line rafting while researching all these other technologies.  Do you discover two things at a time or something?

For civics, I say at the best opportunity we enable Folklore to reflect our great bullshitting traditions, and Slavery because we're clearly conquering and absorbing the minor population of Neanderthals on Mayanpanpenponpu.

Kinda sucks that sooner or later there won't be any room for wild animals and barbarians to spawn, but the leap from two-tile-wide culture to three is pretty massive.
I'm beelining ratf building by only researching the prerequisite techs. Of which there are a lot.

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that we haven't researched barter or slavery yet.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 02, 2012, 12:22:56 pm »

Belated and mostly pointless at this point, but the eagle could have flapped its way over water tiles unless some other mods (namely rife and master of mana) change the behavior of moving over impassible terrain. Only thing is, as the unit tooltip showed, it wouldn't have done anything -- the eagle could only reveal terrain that's within your cultural boundary.

Definitely beeline for rafts, and then maybe sailing after that. There's apparently a random event activated by some tech or another somewhere in there that can net you a free galleon, if the game I'm playing around with is anything to go by.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 02, 2012, 04:07:25 pm »

Divine Cult. Charles de Gaulle has been around for 26,000 years and is both still alive and in charge.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 02, 2012, 04:38:39 pm »

Clearly bathing is bad for your health.
This is a blank sig.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 02, 2012, 06:28:31 pm »

So Charles de Gaulle is basically like the Wicked Witch of the West?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 02, 2012, 07:13:50 pm »

Only french, male, not a witch, not green, and in possession of neither flying monkeys nor a large population of oppressed midgets. A small population, perhaps, but not a sizable one. Which is roughly to say utterly unlike the Wicked Witch of the West.

Can... can we get flying monkeys? And maybe hurry up with dyes and/or tattoos once we have boats? Then we can tattoo Charles green and everyone else blue, and be closer to what we're aiming for. Islander smurfs under the oppression of the Wicked Frenchman of Ambiguous Direction.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 02, 2012, 07:53:17 pm »

PTW. Just got Civ IV + Warlords expansion, and cannot believe I didn't play this game earlier.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 43