Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21

Author Topic: Roll to be a Mage 2.0 - Turn 41 - Delays and Some Gameplay Overhaul  (Read 42750 times)

Morelli

• Bay Watcher
  • Even numbers keep me sane.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Mage 2.0 - Turn 40 - Once More, With Feeling
« Reply #285 on: December 17, 2012, 12:22:01 am »

Oh my, how long it has been.

I Momentarily gaze around confused, then return to focus.  Perhaps I should check and see if any missions came up?  Yes, that sounds good.

Check to see if any missions have come up since I last checked.

"Scuttle along on your new legs, Ricky.  Let's find some adventure!"

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 17, 2012, 11:40:26 am »

((Sure, suuuuuuure IronyOwl. I think this is like the worst situation you have actually made for anyone while not being a GM in an RTD game..))

"Oh, Great dragon! We from the humble mages guild wish to learn your intentions, and whether or not we can negotiate out terms, for what you want, grand dragon."

Humble self, ask what the dragon wants, and what its intentions are
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 17, 2012, 08:53:26 pm »

((Just a reminder, I take absolutely no responsibility for the armageddon drake currently thinking about eating Nirur and Ochita. :P))
((Oh hey, I'd forgotten its origin after all these months. Thanks for refreshing my memo--))

Let Ochita do the talking, but take over if he stutters or chickens out or something.

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 18, 2012, 11:25:26 am »

Just waiting on Tiruin.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 18, 2012, 02:10:46 pm »

* Tiruin is inflicted with [PRELIMS] and [HEAVY_ANNOYING_WORKLOAD]!
Tiruin has been struck!

"This...took longer than I assumed. I hope I'm not late."

Return to the Fighter's Guild!

Search for any traps of magical nature or any ambushes along the home stretch!

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Mage 2.0 - Turn 41 - Delays and Some Gameplay Overhaul
« Reply #290 on: December 18, 2012, 05:34:05 pm »

Turn 41

Hurray!  Stats actually do something now.

Strength will give you a bonus or deficit to melee damage, give a bonus to learning (Note: this is merely when you learn the spell.  Not exp gain) Strength based magic, and a secret perk when you hit 16 Strength.

Endurance will give you a bonus or deficit to deflect any damage, give a bonus to learning Endurance based magic, how many spells you can cast over a period of time (details below), and a secret perk when you hit 16 Endurance.

Intelligence will give a bonus or deficit to solving puzzles, give a bonus to learning Intelligence based magic, and +10% exp every six Intelligence points, starting at 16.

Dexterity will give a bonus or deficit to dodging, give a bonus to learning Dexterity based magic, and 1 extra Instant or Simultaneous spell per round, every 6 Dex points, starting at 16.  (This has also been revamped, see below).

Charisma will give a bonus or deficit to persuasion, give a bonus to learning Charisma based magic, and +10% Gold every six Charisma points, starting at 16.

Wisdom will give a bonus or deficit to casting unknown spells, give a bonus to learning Wisdom based magic, and give a +1 to creating new spells/inventing new magic types every 6 points, starting at 16.

Skill stays the same.

For how many spells you can cast without a long break (at least 6 hours), you take your Endurance score and divide it by two, rounding down.  That is how many spells you can cast without needing a break, at no penalty.  You may cast up to your Endurance score in spells with a -1 penalty.  And finally, you may cast up to your Endurance score x1.5 (rounding down) for a -2 penalty.  If you cast one more spell than that, you immediately fall unconscious.  And honestly, if you were forced to cast till you were unconscious, you're probably going to die.  Still, you may be lucky, and that last spell you do cast does go off, albeit you still have that -2 penalty, so you're honestly better off trying to run at that point.

As for Instant and Simultaneous spells, I was slightly confusing (I think) in the explanation.  I'll try to explain it using Science! instead.

Think of spells like atoms.  Normal spells are kind of like Noble Gases, they don't chain to other spells under normal circumstances.  Instant spells are like atoms with only a single bonding point, so they can be chained up to a single other spell.  Simultaneous spells are like atoms with varying numbers of bonding points.  They can range from being like an Instant spell, with only one bonding point, to several bonding points.

Normally Simultaneous spells act exactly like Instant spells.  With the proper perks, however, they may bond up to more than one spell.  Say your character has the perk of Simultaneous spells having two bonding points.  You can chain two other spells off of that single spell.  If you chain a Simultaneous spell up to another Simultaneous spell, no difference is made.  In theory, if you had a perk that gave Simultaneous spells more than one bonding points, you could cast an infinite number of spells at once.  However, here you run into the issue of Endurance.  You may cast only so many spells in a given amount of time.  Simultaneous spells do have a sort of work around for this, however.

Say you had a Simultaneous spell that had two bonding points.  You cast this spell off itself (so you cast the same spell twice, but in the same round), so it should cost the same amount of two spells, right?  This is wrong.  Spells that branch of of the main spell do not induce a spell cost in Endurance.  Branch spells that cast simultaneous spells use up one more point of endurance for however many bonds they are away, up to however many spells that branch spell casts.  So for a spell that was three bonds away, and had three nodes and used each one, would take the full brunt of those spells.  However, even if you somehow got the same spell to fifteen bonds away, and used every node it had, it would still only take up the cost of three spells.

If someone is confused by this, please let me know.

Also, I seem to remember saying that you couldn't chain together the same spell over and over.  If I did, please disregard this.

Also, I set up a pastebin listing all of the modifiers to rolls and stuff, for every character.

Sell the longsword, dagger, and both leather armors; afterwards look for a book shop.

|  The shopkeeper treats you fairly, generously even, and gives you full price for the items.  You gain 90 gold.

After leaving the store, you go and look for a bookshop. |  You find a bookshop alright.  As a matter of fact, you find the one of the largest book repositories in the world!  Too bad the line to actually get in and buy something goes through around five blocks....

Read chapter 7 and 8!

I forget... after this turn, how many turns do I have left before I must go on a mission?

Hurray, more spells!  There was, once again, nothing new covered in these chapters, other than spells. 

Still, you better wait until you finish the book until learning the spells.  There might be some pretty good learning tips at the end!

((Just a reminder, I take absolutely no responsibility for the armageddon drake currently thinking about eating Nirur and Ochita. :P))

Return on my giant flying crow to inform the guild that the bandits have been taken care of. Use Voice Magic to sing a cheerful magic tune on my way.

| You sing the same song as before.  It isn't exactly cheerful, but it is rather nice.

You complete your mission, and the clerk gives you twenty gold.  He stops you before you can leave, however.

"Zerus Halfmoon, Correct?  It would seem you have enough missions to take the test to raise in rank.  Be warned, however.  The test is extremely difficult, and there is no guarantee you'll live.  The benefits are rather nice, though."  | You see his eyes twitch where he says the test is extremely difficult.  It would seem he is lying about it.  Whether it is more difficult, or easier, than he says, is beyond you though.

You gain +4 exp to Charm Lesser Being, +2 exp to Vox vocis Vox, and +1 exp to Somes quod Animus.

Oh my, how long it has been.

I Momentarily gaze around confused, then return to focus.  Perhaps I should check and see if any missions came up?  Yes, that sounds good.

Check to see if any missions have come up since I last checked.

"Scuttle along on your new legs, Ricky.  Let's find some adventure!"

Your pet demon walking behind you, you walk up to the guild clerk and request a mission.  |  You are mistaken for a higher ranked guild member, and he gives you a quest to go kill a group of cultists.  Suddenly, before you can correct the mistake, you are pushed out of the way by several higher ranking mages, and when the crowd clears, the clerk is gone as well.  Closed for the day, the sign says.

Well, you can wait until the clerk comes back, but looking over the mission, it says it must be completed in a day.  Still, it's technically not your problem.

((Sure, suuuuuuure IronyOwl. I think this is like the worst situation you have actually made for anyone while not being a GM in an RTD game..))

"Oh, Great dragon! We from the humble mages guild wish to learn your intentions, and whether or not we can negotiate out terms, for what you want, grand dragon."

Humble self, ask what the dragon wants, and what its intentions are
((Oh hey, I'd forgotten its origin after all these months. Thanks for refreshing my memo--))

Let Ochita do the talking, but take over if he stutters or chickens out or something.

| The dragon likes the way Ochita talks, and it clearly states what it wants.

"Hmm... I was merely terrorizing these towns because I was bored, and I desired to gather some treasure.  If your guild can supply me with a place to hoard my treasure, and five million gold pieces worth of treasure as well, I will leave this place alone.  You may use this," He gives you something wrapped in cloth, "To contact me for completion of terms.  Be warned, mortal.  If I am not contacted within five days, I will resume terrorizing these towns, and it will take triple the amount of gold to appease me.  Now go."  He seemingly goes to sleep in the middle of town.  What a lackadaisical dragon.

* Tiruin is inflicted with [PRELIMS] and [HEAVY_ANNOYING_WORKLOAD]!
Tiruin has been struck!

"This...took longer than I assumed. I hope I'm not late."

Return to the Fighter's Guild!

Search for any traps of magical nature or any ambushes along the home stretch!

| You find no traps, and you safely return to the Fighter's Guild.  Djork is there, waiting for you.

"Good job," He says.

"Learn these spells," he says, giving you two scrolls, "Along with two spells from your book, and then we will do a mission.  You have a month (15 turns)."

Looks like you better get to it.

Friendly/Neutral NPC's

Adult Force Dragon: Napping.

Characters

Nirathi (Nirur Torir)

Female Yarian.  From the Enchantment College.  In the Mage's guild.  In a town located somewhere in Ggryymirr.

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Magic Known (click to show/hide)

Ochita

Male Yarian.  From the Animus College.  In the Mage's guild.   In a town located somewhere in Ggryymirr.

Kira Talneris (Tiruin)

Female Elf.  From the College of the Battle Mage.  Whelp of the Fighters Guild.  In the Fighter's Guild.

Spoiler: Spells Known (click to show/hide)

Zerus Halfmoon (IronyOwl)

Male Human.  Went to the Animus University.  Bus Boy of the Archaeological Guild.  Inside the Archaeological Guild.

Thrakor (Toaster)

Male Elf.  From the Animus University. Excavator of the Archaeological Guild. Right in the heart of Tantalan, inside the Archaeological Guild.

Leo Morelli (Morelli)

A Male Human.  From the Summoning College.  Bus Boy of the Archaeological Guild.  Inside the Archaeological Guild.

Zofus "Zerg" Berg (FuzzyZergling)

Male Human.  From the College Sursum Propinquus quod Alio.  In the Mage's Guild.  Inside the city of Tael, right outside of a bookstore.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 04:36:48 am by Baradine »

Morelli

• Bay Watcher
  • Even numbers keep me sane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 18, 2012, 05:48:14 pm »

I kneel down to pet Ricky, and think to myself.

"We can totally do this, right?  Yeah, we're only two pathetic little creatures out on a quest to get stronger.... Let's do it."

Find someone in the guild who may be able to help with the job and convince them to accompany us on our journey.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 18, 2012, 09:18:08 pm »

((And now, two chapters I am again interested in!))

Finish that massive book!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 18, 2012, 11:27:40 pm »

Try to bribe someone to get near the front of the line. Don't go over ten gold.

((My status is incorrect; I'm pretty sure I'm not inside the mage's Guild (although maybe I am? Maybe it's just really huge) and my inventory still contains the items I sold.))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 18, 2012, 11:51:08 pm »

"Hm..." Zerus hummed to himself, tapping his fingers on the counter. Either this guy wanted to delay his promotion or get him killed.

...he wondered if he knew he commanded a 14 foot tall warrior crow?

"I'll do it!"
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 18, 2012, 11:54:23 pm »

Oh yeah- changes look fine.  Makes me glad I packed on plenty of endurance.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 19, 2012, 04:46:26 am »

((My status is incorrect; I'm pretty sure I'm not inside the mage's Guild (although maybe I am? Maybe it's just really huge) and my inventory still contains the items I sold.))

Fix'd, and I updated the rest of the party as well.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 19, 2012, 08:26:41 am »

Head back to the mages guild, after telling the mayor that the dragon shouldn't be bothering them for the next couple of days
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 19, 2012, 05:55:04 pm »

Use the bead to return Ochita and myself to the Mages Guild. Then return to the clerk to report on the dragon's terms and hand over the contact-a-dragon-thingy.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 20, 2012, 03:18:35 am »

"T-ttwo spells? Err, I mean, a month?"

Kira blinked as she noted down what should be done; remembering Van's words and his own spells, she decided to try looking for her wind spirit friend first.

"Erm, alright. Will do. Do you know where my staff is by the way?"
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21