Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687554 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #8505 on: September 02, 2022, 10:15:50 pm »

... anyone else out there remember the old PB&J cookies/oatmeal pies? Little debbie, I think. I keep getting the occasional urge to eat one, but they don't seem to be sold, like... anywhere, anymore. Nor anything like them, for that matter -- closest either doesn't have the jelly or isn't particularly similar in construction and whatnot.

I was basically raised on the damn things, pretty sure a good chunk of my generation was in this part of the US. Probably one of the best cheapo snack cake type things I've ever ate, even, for all that's not a high standard to reach. Never been able to figure out what happened to them.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8506 on: September 02, 2022, 10:30:52 pm »

A quick search elicited a change.org petition to bring them back, and searching “peanut butter” or “oatmeal” also found nothing.

Edit: searching the latter on the Little Debbie’s website found nothing, I mean.

Chances are your childhood memories are the best you’ll get.

Can’t beat a Tunnock’s Tea Cake though.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 10:39:45 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8507 on: September 03, 2022, 03:42:31 am »

Always sucks when you want to eat something from your past and find that no one makes it anymore.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8508 on: September 03, 2022, 08:15:14 am »

I want my arctic rolls. Those things taste like primary school.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8509 on: September 03, 2022, 02:45:35 pm »

I'm going to point out that I'm genuinely asking here, not doing the "I'm just asking questions bro" thing that so many XYZ-phobes do, just so people are aware I'm asking in good faith.

Why is demisexuality considered a sexuality akin to the whole LGBTQ+ grouping? It honestly comes across to me less like a sexuality and more like a preference, or just a sort of way your sexuality works as opposed to a sexuality in and as of itself.

I think it's important to know that it's there as a waypoint between "normal" and "asexual." It's sort of the point at which the accepted range flips over into the unaccepted range.

I'm speaking from the perspective of who I was as an uninformed teenager, but I ended up knowing about three asexual people as a kid and to me they all came off as "weird" in some indefinable way. One of them grew up to be AAA (agender, aromantic, and asexual), one grew up as a Very Cis biromantic Male who was willing to be penetrated if it would make his partner happy but couldn't do the other thing because he just straight up didn't care or want to, one is heteroromantic, trying out cross-dressing and thinking he might be demisexual after all.

For fairness and disclosure I semi-dated the last of these as a teenager; part of the shift from "ace" to "demi" may well have been the problem of being emotionally attached to someone who looks like a woman but doesn't act like one.

My first boyfriend was demisexual and wasn't at all frustrated or annoyed that it took about a year of dating for me to feel comfortable kissing him. We never had sex and that didn't piss him off either. How many straight men in their early twenties would carry out a two-year adult relationship and be all: "this is genuinely an ok way for this to be going" ?

The incel community alone shows a certain perspective on this point ...

At this point I think that the bigots have a point, which is that putting all of the 2S.L.G.B.T.Q.I.A.+ people together and saying "they're all one" does flatten a lot of complexity. But something we all have in common is as follows: cishet "gold star" attractions and ways of being are very well defined. What we put under the queer umbrella are all of the things that make others draw back in confusion and disgust.

Demisexuality could be described as "someone who simply doesn't have sexual needs or interests outside of an established partnership and who is not prioritizing sex while they build that relationship, but where it will probably be important later." Because of church propaganda, this is usually treated as the norm for cisgender women, but I know based on my childhood as an outsider tacked into girls' and women's spaces that this is categorically not the way that most cis and het women are built.

This can be complicated for trans people specifically because of the way that we tend to be desired in ways that we don't want to be wanted, and people may want to do things with us that we don't want to do. But, at least from my limited perspective, I think it's easier for people to see the action of demisexuality in people's lives as you get older and see what the "normal pattern" is and then our friends and acquaintances who wind up taking another path.

Calling it queer without qualifications can be complicated just because we usually use queer as a shorthand for some variety of gay with a gender mixup on top, and demisexual is something you can be while both cisgender and heterosexual. It's very much like calling "intersex" queer when a lot of people who are intersex would not like to be called or seen as queer, thank you very much. But intersex people have experiences which are very similar to trans people in many ways, so it makes sense to include them.

In that sense I don't think MOGAI (Marginalized Orientations, Gender Alignment, and Intersex) was a mistake. Are asexual people put to the margin? Yes. Often partly because people assume they are closeted queers, but absolutely, yes. They belong to what we often call the queer umbrella, but at this point I feel it becomes clear that, maybe, we shouldn't call all of this queer ... if you can be "gay but not queer," as many people are, or "queer but not gay," it's more precise not to use "queer" as the umbrella term.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8510 on: September 03, 2022, 06:51:53 pm »

Why's the ocean darker blue towards the poles and lighter towards the equator?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8511 on: September 03, 2022, 06:58:49 pm »

Polish people use too much woad.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8512 on: September 03, 2022, 07:29:24 pm »

Why's the ocean darker blue towards the poles and lighter towards the equator?
This seems like a decent breakdown. tl;dr version: it ain't either (water is clear), but the way light works makes us think it is

it's apparently mostly a matter of depth and water content, and the colder waters are mostly richer in plankton and whatnot, so it shows up darker
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8513 on: September 04, 2022, 10:43:11 am »

We can pontificate on the literal definition of colour, but the point is the ocean looks blue when you look at it, and that's good enough for a layman.

Thanks for the breakdown though.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #8514 on: September 04, 2022, 10:55:45 am »

It's more important that we're able to agree that it's "blue", yet "blue" is an english word so you might have some trouble finding that agreement when talking to someone who doesn't speak the same language as you! :D
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8515 on: September 06, 2022, 12:09:02 am »

Excuse me, the ocean is "wine-dark."
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8516 on: September 06, 2022, 12:28:32 am »

Excuse me, the ocean is "wine- grimdark."

ftfy

It’s pretty bleak in there, but I did just watch a documentary on illegal fishing resulting in the near-extinction of the vaquita, so… yeah.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8517 on: September 06, 2022, 01:14:09 am »

Excuse me, the ocean is "wine."
Just imagine a world where the ocean was wine instead of salt water.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8518 on: September 06, 2022, 10:30:07 am »

Emphasis on *was* wine before becoming vinegar.

I don't know exactly what would happen, but I think we'd have a lot less forest fires.  And ice caps?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8519 on: September 06, 2022, 11:06:13 am »

Emphasis on *was* wine before becoming vinegar.

I don't know exactly what would happen, but I think we'd have a lot less forest fires.  And ice caps?

We'd finally get to see pickled herring in the wild.
Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 637