Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 130

Author Topic: Atheism/Religion Discussion  (Read 180690 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism/Religion Discussion
« Reply #1425 on: December 20, 2012, 03:35:45 pm »

Far enough to be born, or  live for more then a couple of days. That's before you get to how life itself depends on killing other life. 10ebber10, I'm an atheist. It's rather hard to ask that question and not to be.

As for your response, a life consisting entirely of short pain that brings harm to all is an interesting way of running the world.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #1426 on: December 20, 2012, 03:40:46 pm »

Man, I don't get why atheism has to be so intimately linked with cynicism. I'm a hardcore atheist and I think the world is an amazing and beautiful place to live. In fact, I think my beliefs make it even more astounding.

Beauty requires tragedy to exist, is it terrible and should we work against it? Of course, but a world completely without suffering, honestly, wouldn't be a very interesting world to live in.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: December 20, 2012, 03:43:47 pm »

Nah it's not. It's hard to ask that question and to be a litteral believer, or you'd risk sliding down the slippery slope into extremism.

Point about religion is that few actually proclaim a God that actually interferes with the world. Not from a scientific viewpoint anyway. It's all methaphors and ideals.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: December 20, 2012, 03:45:01 pm »

Oh, i like the world. But after all, you are an atheist.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #1429 on: December 20, 2012, 03:46:50 pm »

Yeah, but I don't think it would be any different if I weren't. I mean... it's hard for me to imagine what it's like to be a theist, but from my perspective heaven sounds boring. Maybe [insert deity here] just realizes that.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: December 20, 2012, 03:48:05 pm »

Far enough to be born, or  live for more then a couple of days. That's before you get to how life itself depends on killing other life. 10ebber10, I'm an atheist. It's rather hard to ask that question and not to be.

As for your response, a life consisting entirely of short pain that brings harm to all is an interesting way of running the world.
Are you talking just about miscarriages then?
Because... I'm not understanding what it is you're asking me.  Or what you're reading for that matter.

I mean... yeah, this life isn't all there is (thank God).  Life's a bitch, and then you die, and then you're judged by the only one who can judge you. 
As long as you aren't an asshole to everyone, I don't see what's so wrong with that.

Also, I'm gonna go right out and say it: I think an Agnostic/Atheist person has a greater chance of going to heaven than a false "believer" has.  Rich man vs. Camel going through a needle an' all that. 
(Rich man as in a man who gives nothing to those in need, but instead thinks only of himself.  I don't think all rich people are damned.

Just the conservatives  :P)

((That was joke, just in case you're republican.))

Oh, and like Fq says, I don't see why atheists have to act so cynical when talking to other people.  Just because you don't believe in God, that doesn't mean you shouldn't be happy.
You wanna be cynical, be Jewish.  :P ((That was another joke.  Seriously though, the Old Testament is pretty cynical in places.))

And... ninja'd again.
Most of what God does here is inspiration.  It's like he watches us, and sees how we really act to each other.  But if we need help, he will give it.
But I think God made science, and designed it to be so understandable.  It's like he made an auto-pilot for the universe.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: December 20, 2012, 03:50:23 pm »

Man, I don't get why atheism has to be so intimately linked with cynicism.
It....isn't? For the most part, that perception comes from theists. They insist, loudly as possible, that there is no way to be an atheist other than to be angry at the world. I think it is a form of denial. They cannot allow the perception that atheists are normal people to flourish, otherwise...

There's also some of this due to most people being religious before being disillusioned with it and becoming atheists. Disillusionment occasionally causes cynicism when the individual in question cannot withstand their perception of the world changing drastically.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: December 20, 2012, 03:53:19 pm »

Can have something to do with one of the main arguments of certain atheists being:
Quote from: Paraphrasing
I don't believe in God because a real God wouldn't allow so much evil to exist.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #1433 on: December 20, 2012, 03:59:30 pm »

It....isn't? For the most part, that perception comes from theists. They insist, loudly as possible, that there is no way to be an atheist other than to be angry at the world. I think it is a form of denial. They cannot allow the perception that atheists are normal people to flourish, otherwise...

There's also some of this due to most people being religious before being disillusioned with it and becoming atheists. Disillusionment occasionally causes cynicism when the individual in question cannot withstand their perception of the world changing drastically.
That's true. Hollywood does love to portray us as harboring grudges.

But really, I think it's probably the latter point, because a good portion of the atheists I've met tend toward cynicism as a rule. I guess another part of it would be that atheism is neglected and not really taken seriously as a theological position yet, which I admit gets pretty infuriating. I'd just like to turn the perception of atheism around from "Religions sucks!" to "Hey isn't the natural universe awesome?"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: December 20, 2012, 04:05:43 pm »

Those aren't contradictory opinions. I certainly hold both of them.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: December 20, 2012, 04:10:44 pm »

Good to note that (in my experience) the bitterness and cynicism is generally absent from those who were raised areligious.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: December 20, 2012, 04:11:47 pm »

He means the perception.  A lot of people see y'all as goths who hate the world.

But... really, the agnostic/atheist people I've met in real life have been normal.  Not bouncing off the walls (not all of 'em, at least) but not crying any rivers.

Good to note that (in my experience) the bitterness and cynicism is generally absent from those who were raised areligious.
Well, that's hurtful.

OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: December 20, 2012, 04:12:39 pm »

Can have something to do with one of the main arguments of certain atheists being:
Quote from: Paraphrasing
I don't believe in God because a real God wouldn't allow so much evil to exist.
If we're talking about a benevolent God then I fully agree.  It's more like it requires a god to be either bad or not all-powerful though.

Not that I'm a cynic - I think the world has changed and can change, but a creator would have to have made or allowed a hell of a lot of bad things.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: December 20, 2012, 04:14:19 pm »

Well, that's hurtful.
What do you expect? To put children into a religion and make them follow it for years, only for them to realize it was all lies from the start? It would be more strange not to be upset.
No Gods, No Masters.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: December 20, 2012, 04:19:51 pm »

Well, that's hurtful.
What do you expect? To put children into a religion and make them follow it for years, only for them to realize it was all lies from the start? It would be more strange not to be upset.
You realize that's not a civil way to talk to someone who has different beliefs, right?  Telling them they teach children lies?  And that it causes them to be cynical when they finally have their epiphany and realize they were idiots?

What is it that caused you to be so hateful towards religion?  Is it something you would be okay with talking about?

Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 130