Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 130

Author Topic: Atheism/Religion Discussion  (Read 180624 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism/Religion Discussion
« Reply #1305 on: December 08, 2012, 10:05:46 am »

I don’t think orgies are at all like gladiatorial combat. Even the Raelian ones.

That's not to say that you couldn't combine the two, if consensual. It could be very entertaining. For some... Yes.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 12:20:01 pm by Owlbread »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: December 08, 2012, 11:21:44 am »

Clearly we must warn and make sure people know the dangers of orgies, after all how would they know if they were going to get an STD? I demand an "STD and Orgies" awareness campaign to make sure these dangers are more obvious to the common orgy-goer.
I'd prefer such groups used proper preventative measures (putting the responsibility on the group, not the individual members). No awareness campaign needed, just pressure and regulation.

(yes I know you were being facetious, but I wanted to give a serious response anyway~)

I don’t think orgies are at all like gladiatorial combat. Even the Raelian ones.

That's not to say that you couldn't combine the two. It could be very entertaining. For some. Yes.
Eww. No. >.< Never mix sex with violence, please :(
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: December 08, 2012, 12:02:08 pm »

That's not to say that you couldn't combine the two. It could be very entertaining. For some. Yes.
Eww. No. >.< Never mix sex with violence, please :(
Hey, how about consensual stuff?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: December 08, 2012, 12:21:23 pm »

My, that was quite a digression.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 12:40:28 pm by Owlbread »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: December 08, 2012, 07:36:51 pm »

Better question: why hasn't it happened earlier? *shot*

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: December 08, 2012, 07:50:42 pm »

It seems like a great time for the "Go to Church" song.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: December 08, 2012, 07:59:32 pm »

How'd an atheism/religion thread turn into a sex/fight thread!?
Well, I dunno about some of the other religions, but as someone who read the Old Testament over quite a few times...

Better question: why hasn't it happened earlier? *shot*

That said, Christianity is not, thankfully, a giant fight-orgy.  More of a love-orgy.  Without STDs.  And everyone is sorta married.

So yeah.  Sex/love is more fun than sex/fight. (Man, if my church put that out in front, we'd probably see a steep increase in attendance.  I need to go e-mail my pastor.)

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: December 08, 2012, 08:22:06 pm »

So anyone know the current percentage of atheists in America? The last one I've seen said "non-religious" at 32%, but that was a while ago.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 08:51:11 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: December 08, 2012, 08:50:12 pm »

Wow, the estimates vary so much, i can't help but think that there are more than 2.4%. but Atheism is highly stigmatized in USA, so people don't put that choice down. Most estimates I've seen have said about 9-15%
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 06:17:01 am by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: December 08, 2012, 10:12:05 pm »

Wow, the estimates very so much, i can't help but think that there are more than 2.4%. but Atheism is highly stigmatized in USA, so people don't put that choice down. Most estimates I've seen have said about 9-15%

This, so much. Speaking from personal experience, in certain parts of the country you just plain do not admit to anything and politely nod your head when it comes to religious matters unless you want to be near-constantly arguing with or trying to avoid true believers. That aside, there's a decent chunk of "Christians" of younger generations who don't believe and only go along with it because of family tradition, more than I think are represented by the "Nothing in particular" grouping.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: December 08, 2012, 10:17:46 pm »

I live in a pretty religious area, but I've never heard anti-atheist junk here. The absolute worst I've heard is people expressing that everyone should believe in something religious, because mumble mumble religion is just somehow inherently good or something.

My parents took my being agnostic easy. Waaaay better than taking my being bi.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: December 08, 2012, 10:24:43 pm »

I live in a pretty religious area, but I've never heard anti-atheist junk here. The absolute worst I've heard is people expressing that everyone should believe in something religious, because mumble mumble religion is just somehow inherently good or something.

Most of it is less outwardly aggressive, more "I don't understand how anyone could live without god" etc. etc., but when you hear it from two thirds of the people you interact with on a meaning full level. :|

They could always have assumed that you meant agnostic theism (as I've seen quite a few people assume that that was the entirety of agnosticism).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: December 08, 2012, 10:35:48 pm »

Well, there's whatsisname, that famous philosopher or whatever?  I really should remember his name.
Anyways, he said in a utopian society you could believe in whatever religion you wanted, as long as you had a religion.  His reasoning was that people who believe they will be judged divinely will be much nicer than people who think this is all there is.

Basically, think of it like the real world and the virtual world.  Most of us can be dicks online because there's no real danger.  But in the real world, there are consequences.

But, this works the other way too.  If you think this life doesn't matter, you may be an asshole because meh, it's just prison. 

That's some religions.  In Christianity, this life does matter though.  No unrepentant asshats in Paradise.

So really, it doesn't do much.  Whatsisface was kinda wrong.  Just thought I'd bring up that point of view.  Some people do have trouble with understanding you don't believe in any god at all, but some actually have a logical reason.  Well, logical doesn't mean it's correct.

(Man, discussion while off my ADD meds is hard.  I have to re-read my posts.)

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: December 08, 2012, 11:20:03 pm »

That's not tired, that's convinced.
Maybe we should demand stickers on all raelian... churches? Orgy colosseums? that go like this:

Raelian Orgy Colosseum
May contain STDs
"Scientifically Tenuous Deities"? ;)
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 130