Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 130

Author Topic: Atheism/Religion Discussion  (Read 180631 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism/Religion Discussion
« Reply #1290 on: December 06, 2012, 07:28:53 am »

From what I gathered from 4 years in a Catholic school, the deal with Jesus is that Yahweh is vengeful (but also all-loving), and Jesus is unconditionally loving. If you believe in Jesus then he vouches you into heaven and out of eternal torment.

Then how does your school explain the Trinity thingy?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: December 06, 2012, 08:01:45 am »

Multiple personality disorder.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: December 06, 2012, 01:09:27 pm »

Mormonism has them as three separate people.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: December 06, 2012, 09:10:22 pm »

My understanding is that Christ was the first and only truly perfect person; THAT is what gave him the power to take upon the sins of the world (along with being, ya know, God's son and all that). The rest of his life (crucifixion/etc) were symbolic at best.
“Taking on the sins of the world,” doesn’t make any sense, and it does not matter who the sacrifice is. When I talk about my sins, I don’t mean things that I carry around and put down and give to other people. They are things I did. Jesus being nailed to a cross didn’t change that.
I think it depends on your concept of sin - I could imagine that back when christianity was developing their view of sin was much less 'action' oriented and much more 'state-of-mind' oriented.

Mormonism has them as three separate people.
Well, they're heathens anyway. Or at least batshit crazy :P
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 06:41:19 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: December 07, 2012, 01:29:00 am »

Okay I think we should emphasize the actual informing how different religions work and minimize the "hohoho this religion is so illogical and i am so smart for not believing it".

I'm not talking about helgoland right there. I see the :P. It's mostly earlier stuff.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: December 07, 2012, 04:04:36 pm »

That reminds me of a debate I watched, about if religions and cults are different. They had people from the raelians, moonies, multiple religions, ect. Don't recall seeing a Scientology guy though. The main 2 definitions seemed to be "A cult uses psychological tricks/torture/pressure to convert people, and changes them", and that a cult is "made as a means to gather power or money". And it really got interesting as these religious guys started using vague psychological "I can't say anything but trust me I'm a scholar and this happened" speaking while talking about the raelian group who were talking about how they make no income and do not go preaching to people.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: December 07, 2012, 04:22:33 pm »

The Raelians have always seemed a lot less harmful and more open than Scientology, to me.

The only anti-Raelian criticism i can find is that they have orgies, and that could just be prudishness. They are a big bunch of UFO-believing free-love hippies if you ask me.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 04:26:48 pm by Reelya »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: December 07, 2012, 04:34:12 pm »

Orgies are fine as long as they're all consenting.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: December 07, 2012, 05:05:13 pm »

And proper precautions are taken for STDs/unwanted pregnancies/etc.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: December 07, 2012, 06:14:27 pm »

And proper precautions are taken for STDs/unwanted pregnancies/etc.

I'll just play advocate some more and argue as long as everyone is informed and consenting, they have ever right to be as unsafe as they'd like. After all, if I don't have the right to screw my own life up, what rights do I have?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: December 07, 2012, 06:20:07 pm »

You only have a point if "informed and consenting" includes being informed that they will be getting STDs and will be getting pregnant. You don't have the right to screw up other people's lives, such as not telling partners you have an STD.

I'd say any religion (or any group, really) that organizes orgies has the responsibility to either prevent those things or make damn sure everyone knows exactly what they're getting into. They'd be negligent otherwise.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: December 07, 2012, 06:25:21 pm »

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

Damn. I must be more tired than I thought, I've got no counterpoint at this point. :|
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: December 08, 2012, 12:25:15 am »

That's not tired, that's convinced.
Maybe we should demand stickers on all raelian... churches? Orgy colosseums? that go like this:

Raelian Orgy Colosseum
May contain STDs
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: December 08, 2012, 12:56:13 am »

I don’t think orgies are at all like gladiatorial combat. Even the Raelian ones.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: December 08, 2012, 12:58:20 am »

Clearly we must warn and make sure people know the dangers of orgies, after all how would they know if they were going to get an STD? I demand an "STD and Orgies" awareness campaign to make sure these dangers are more obvious to the common orgy-goer.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 130