Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Terrifying Evil Desert Reclaim  (Read 9593 times)

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terrifying Evil Desert Reclaim
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2012, 10:01:47 am »

When you've supplies trapped on the surface due to scary things loitering there, that's when the cave-in trick can come in handy. Think of it as a 1-shot freight elevator.

PS: Loving this Dwarven Tale.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2012, 10:31:50 am »

KEY WORDS: Bodies. Trapped. On. Island.
Looks like time to build new defences.
I'm bringing a marksdwarf next time.

Well that went well.
Another 7 dwarves bite the dust.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2012, 11:00:36 am »

Keep at it.  This is becoming epic (at least by my standards).
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2012, 11:06:35 am »

It's over.
FPS death (0FPS)

I'm not kidding.
It actually says that.

So long, and Thanks for all the advice and support.
Time to build somewhere else.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 11:11:55 am by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 11:47:45 am »

So, I guess this is due to stuff getting added/duplicated between loss/abandom and (attempted) reclaim of the site?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2012, 11:49:54 am »

So, I guess this is due to stuff getting added/duplicated between loss/abandom and (attempted) reclaim of the site?
Yup.
Too much junk

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2012, 01:51:37 pm »

This is pretty sad, yet entertaining.

Do tell us about your next Terrifying Evil (insert Embark type) here and any possible reclaims you do. Or better yet, do continually video's of it and post it so we can view it :P
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2012, 06:27:47 am »

This is pretty sad, yet entertaining.

Do tell us about your next Terrifying Evil (insert Embark type) here and any possible reclaims you do. Or better yet, do continually video's of it and post it so we can view it :P

Well, I was thinking....
There's still space in the embark square...
So I'll re-embark next to the previous fort.
Who wants me to post the successes/failures of this exploit?
Also, just found out that the fort is in the "desert of shames"

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2012, 10:18:18 am »

I'm game.  I find following other people's exploits just as enjoyable as exploiting myself...I mean...yeah, well, I'll read whatever happens.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2012, 10:59:33 am »

I'm game.  I find following other people's exploits just as enjoyable as exploiting myself...I mean...yeah, well, I'll read whatever happens.

Brilliant.
I'll get started tomorrow.

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2012, 11:23:44 am »

*Grabs Popcorn*

Anyone want some?
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2012, 11:39:07 am »

Yes please, I'll have some.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2012, 11:51:07 am »

Oh god I can't wait for the next attempt.  This was entirely epic, despite only spanning three pages.

I can just imagine the dorfs in the mountainhome being picked to go reclaim being sent there as punishment for horrible, horrible crimes. 
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2012, 05:08:02 am »

Now, before I get started, I'd like to say something:
HOLY MACARONI CHEESE!
800+ views! *faints*

Now I've got that out of my system, and without further ado, thus begins the history of Rocksbridged!
This time, I'm coming prepared. This time, The Umbral Crypts of the Tufted Fortresses are here. ( 5 stars for the RNG)
THE SUPPLIES:
2 picks (copper)
an anvil (iron)
63 units of booze
48 units of meat/fish
20 plump helmet spawn
5 each of pig tail, sweet pod and cave wheat seeds
2 quivers
2 crossbows (copper)
2 bronze war hammers
1 copper shield
25 copper bolts
10 sandstone (-blocks - wall - roof)
21 logs (desert)
5 bituminous coal (fuel)
THE DWARVES:
Proficient Carpenter/mason
Prof. Miner/grower
Prof. Miner/ad. Weaponsmith / com. Armoursmith
Prof. Hammer /shield user
Prof. Hammer /Skilled dodger/ novice wrestler
Prof Marksdwarf/ Competent Mechanic / novice appraise/Judge Of Intent
Prof Marksdwarf/ ad. Archer / competent dodger.

THE PLAN:
Ditch/wall (thanks Krenshala.)
Emergency Wagon cave-in if needed.

Let's see how this goes.

EDIT: saw flyers, so went straight to plan B

A miner and hammerdwarf were KILLED in the cave in, and everyone else was knocked unconscious.
Oops.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 05:42:51 am by TopHat »

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2012, 05:49:40 am »

There are two dwarves left, an unhappy miner, and the fine carpenter/ mason. They have 1 pick. That's it.
Realised that my only chance of survival is the caverns, and fled to it....

I now personally hate barn owl man corpses.
EDIT: carpenter now miserable, turns out they survived the barnowlmancorpseolypse by hiding in the corpse stockpile.
Idiots.
Considering ditching the carpenter and leaving him in with the zombies.
More updates later.

EDIT 2: The carpenter, who I've only just realised had broken his leg in THE CAVE-IN FAIL, got nommedby the corpses in the pile, but the Very Unhappy miner made it to the caverns.
There's plants and water, and the dwarf only has a pick and the clothes she's in.

I can't get to the wagon supplies (zombies in the way) but the last dwarf is safe for the moment.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 08:38:51 am by TopHat »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5