Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Terrifying Evil Desert Reclaim  (Read 9586 times)

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Terrifying Evil Desert Reclaim
« on: July 09, 2012, 07:38:29 am »

Okay, so I decide to embark on a terrifying desert. Having heard of the perils of evil biomes (but never seen them), I spent all my embark points on War dogs.
38 dogs later, I crumble to my end.
So, now I want to reclaim (it's a nice site)
Does anyone have any advice on getting past the MASSIVE HORDE OF ZOMBIE WAR DOGS? (+ 3 giant desert scorpion zombies)

EDIT: recalimed with a marksdwarf, and four hammerdwaves ( no dogs)
So now I have seven more Zombies to deal with.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 07:46:59 am by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terrifying Evil Desert Reclaim
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 07:47:43 am »

Sure - Wall in your Previous Fortress and begin a new Fortress elsewhere.

If you can't wall in your Previous Fortress, wall in your new Fortress.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 07:50:16 am »

I didn't get time to build a fortress.
That's how fun it was
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 08:08:31 am »

This. It was your decision to set out into the wastes unprepared. Whether or not you decide to build another fort there, it should be your responsibility to either take care of the zombies in the tomb, or to at least immure them in the remnants of your fortress to ensure future generations and travelers are not waylaid by the monstrosities you have created.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 08:23:58 am »

This. It was your decision to set out into the wastes unprepared. Whether or not you decide to build another fort there, it should be your responsibility to either take care of the zombies in the tomb, or to at least immure them in the remnants of your fortress to ensure future generations and travelers are not waylaid by the monstrosities you have created.

Tomb? What tomb?
Reclaim 3: begins construction of wall.
I give one dwarf bronze leggings, chain armour, and helm.
The dog corpse bites the militia commander in the left foot! The dog corpse bites the militia commander in the lower arm! The dog corpse....
Reclaim 3 cancels survive: interrupted by zombies.
EDIT: 42 views. I'm not panicking, I'm just reclaiming this place until the dwarves stop dying.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 08:26:34 am by TopHat »

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 08:45:36 am »

Eh, I tend to try and cap off lost fortresses if I can, though mine are often the result of digging too deep, mine might make more sense given the oil well analogy.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 08:52:24 am »

Reclaim 4: Armok is laughing. The zombies (now skeletons) are hitting people with socks now.
All is lost.
Reclaim 4 cancels survive: interrupted by zombies.

Reclaim 5: Skeleton wrestler breaks wrists and ankles.
Reclaim 5: cancels get eaten by zombies: interrupted by skeletons.

Thanks for the advice, but I can't build a wall quick enough.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 09:18:18 am by TopHat »

orfax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 09:14:29 am »

I can see you building an above ground fortress with an army of unstoppable zombies in a few more reclaims. Or is that not what you are aiming for?

Perhaps you could clear the area with an adventurer before trying again?

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 09:20:22 am »

I can see you building an above ground fortress with an army of unstoppable zombies in a few more reclaims. Or is that not what you are aiming for?

Perhaps you could clear the area with an adventurer before trying again?
The site is naturally zombifying, and in the middle of nowhere. So no adventurer help.
My aim is to build a fort.

orfax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 09:33:38 am »

I think that adventurers can cross the ocean and stuff like that, so I think you could get one there. Otherwise each reclaim is going to make the next one that much harder, and you can't even build a wall at the moment.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 09:46:55 am »

I think that adventurers can cross the ocean and stuff like that, so I think you could get one there. Otherwise each reclaim is going to make the next one that much harder, and you can't even build a wall at the moment.

The entire world is one desert.
I'll try to get an adventurer there, not sure how much good he'll do.
Edit: the adventurer is gobbo bait.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 10:01:16 am by TopHat »

orfax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 09:49:31 am »

Try cutting a 2 z-level deep pit and throwing all the bodies in there or something. At least that way they can't get to your real dwarves when you come to reclaim again.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 09:50:29 am »

I think the main problem here is that you started out wrong, tried to correct that oversight, and then failed badly from there onwards.

The typical evil biome embark involves getting stuff underground very quickly, and walling yourself off from the surroundings just as quickly. Starting off with war dogs wasn't exactly a good idea on your part.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 10:38:29 am »

I think the main problem here is that you started out wrong, tried to correct that oversight, and then failed badly from there onwards.

The typical evil biome embark involves getting stuff underground very quickly, and walling yourself off from the surroundings just as quickly. Starting off with war dogs wasn't exactly a good idea on your part.
Ok, thanks for the advice.
You'd have thought that ~40 war dogs would have lasted long enough to actually be able to mine anything, though.
I read somewhere that undead will ignore other undead, which is good news for my adventurer vampire.
Should be able to make a dent in the zombies large enough to let the fort in.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 11:25:13 am »

Adventurers do help with zombies. Use them to just lure them away from the embark area, find a place where you can sneak and then leave.

As an extra, you can use your adventurer to bring useful items to the site like bags,bones, food, weapons and the like.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5