Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wagon clog  (Read 1871 times)

thryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wagon clog
« on: July 08, 2012, 11:55:01 am »

So I built a little filtering system on the outside of my fort - invaders take the short path over all the traps (which the wagons are choosing to view as impassible this game for some reason) and wagons go around the long way. Or they did, anyway, until the last caravan got ambushed on the way in. The traders neatly disposed of the goblins, but seemed to lose their taste for trading and mostly left the map. Meanwhile, half the wagons are still trying to get to the depot, and the other half are trying to leave, resulting in this:

It's been like this for at least two seasons now, I'm not really sure what to do ... if only there were wagon plumbers.

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wagon clog
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 11:58:11 am »

I heard that wagons cannot pass trough weapon traps... however, cage traps are okay.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 11:58:34 am »

Drains clogged?  The obvious answer is  :o
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 12:09:19 pm »

if only there were wagon plumbers
They're called "ballistas".  ;)

xeniorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 12:13:49 pm »

If you decide not to actively resolve the situation, please do report on what happens at the time next year's caravan is supposed to arrive. :)
This Wine tastes like schist!
Shut your mouth and admire some gneiss furniture.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 12:45:50 pm »

I'd say wall them in, wait for the carnage entertainment to commence, then collect their stuff. :)

You may need a second path for later traders, of course.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 01:00:53 pm »

Maybe just deconstruct the walls and pray that no invaders arrive. Maybe danger room some militia out at the same time.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 01:05:07 pm »

I usually just make an 'airlock' setup - one bridge to let caravans into the trade depot, another to allow access to the fortress.  No weapon traps necessary, you just lock the traders inside when a siege arrives and let them back out after you've finished mining the goblinite.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 01:05:51 pm »

I'd either remove the walls, or I would replace the walls with a drawbridge that "unclogs" the wagons after pulling a lever.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 01:09:44 pm »

Either remove the walls or wait until one caravan's wagons deconstruct.  I had the same situation but it was underground and the jam was on a ramp.  There was nothing I could do to release the wagons.  Eventually the Dwarven wagons deconstructed.  The Human wagons left, the Dwarven merchants with pack animals left, and I gathered the loot.  Then I widened the tunnel.   ;D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 02:28:12 pm »

I heard that wagons cannot pass trough weapon traps... however, cage traps are okay.
Actually both traps block wagons, it's just that if your taps were built before the change (so before 34.08), then they will still allow wagons to cross until they are rebuilt.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 04:14:36 pm »

Actually both traps block wagons, it's just that if your taps were built before the change (so before 34.08), then they will still allow wagons to cross until they are rebuilt.

I would suspect this.  I've had wagons get onto the map, then suddenly jam up and stop because a tree grew up in the path they were taking, making the depot no longer accessible.  Took me the longest damned time to figure out why they just plain stopped before I thought to check depot access.  Sure enough, a tree in my tunnel.  Chopped it down and all was well again.  (As well as things ever get in DF anyway...)
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 04:20:15 pm »

I would suspect this.  I've had wagons get onto the map, then suddenly jam up and stop because a tree grew up in the path they were taking, making the depot no longer accessible.  Took me the longest damned time to figure out why they just plain stopped before I thought to check depot access.  Sure enough, a tree in my tunnel.  Chopped it down and all was well again.  (As well as things ever get in DF anyway...)

Paved road?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 05:17:10 pm »

You'll want to always make your trade route at least 5 or 6 tiles wide rather then just 3 tiles wide.  Don't forget to smooth all boulders and cut trees.  Paved roads also help out, but you can cheat and just put down a custom stockpile which accepts nothing which prevents tree growth.  I usually use a stockpile designation to help with layout/design, then replace it along the way with a paved road once enough stone blocks have made it to the stockpile by the construction site.

My trader entrances are usually 7-wide, with a 5-wide paved road down the middle.  That way, two wagon trains can get past each other easily.  I'll have a few bridges which might only be 4-5 tiles wide, but most of the route in will be 7-wide.  Some areas, such as the outer forts which overlook the trade route, might be 9-11 tiles wide.

I also try to have (eventually) two or three routes into the Trade Depot along with putting the depot in a location with empty area on at least two sides.  That way there's plenty of room for the wagons to position themselves and get around each other.

The simplest, mostly foolproof design for a trade road is a big long U-bend, with at least 2 bridges along the way that you can control.  Make sure enemies have a shorter route into the fort then taking the U-bend, and if some of them start taking the U-bend, raise one of the bridges.  Length of the U-bend should be about 15-30 tiles.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 06:32:07 pm »

I came into this thread expecting artifact wagon wood clogs (the footwear) or somesuch. This is much better. XD
Pages: [1] 2