Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 101

Author Topic: You are King III: Spring 938 AAL  (Read 131190 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III: Winter 937 AAL
« Reply #1365 on: November 03, 2012, 10:59:21 pm »

Osir stared at him blankly as if he were talking to a fool.

"You don't know why? Renart, think of it. No one attack in winter, Haegar or Adranic. Food is scarce and most people, lord or slave, stay to their homes. Any enemy we find who has not braced themselves for the winter will not be able to stand a siege. And this way, Stormstead is much more vulnerable."

"As I have told you, my target is the prince Richard, for that is my mission...As for afterwards, well I've got to pay these men for following me down to the Lowlands...I promised them gold, Renart. The prince must have a treasury, and if not, then it seems I'll have my head lopped off by Spring."

Osir smiled slightly.
"As I have told you, my target is the prince Richard, for that is my mission...As for afterwards, well I've got to pay these men for following me down to the Lowlands...I promised them gold, Renart. The prince must have a treasury, and if not, then it seems I'll have my head lopped off by Spring."

"As I have told you, my target is the prince Richard..."
Richard

O_o

Renart took a dramatic breath as he heard the name - did Osir even know that the Civil war was over?! Was this some sort of scheme by Edgard once more, even after he made his solemn oath and gathered most of Windheath's nobility at Stormstead to only have them die by foreign contingencies? Forsooth, the Marquis did think of Richard's name as Osir said the title of Prince, but there were many other lands which bordered the Adranic kingdom of Windheath, that he did suspect Osir was just crossing over. Yet now...

Was Edgard so desperate as to call on foreign aid?

"Osir, my good friend. I know not how to say this in a subtle way, so let me say it in front of you and your second, only. Edgard and Richard, they've made up. Created amends. We've been attacked by other forces - the Duke, or blast his title to the ground - Parnoth, who is not of our lands. I have doubts in me that the cause of the King's ailment was via foreign attack - I've met with a good knight named Talinth who has aided my discovery of what may be the attacking weapon. The poison came from an herb commonly found in the marshes near here (Before they were obviously frozen) - Muckfox herb and-wait..no, that was another man. Well anyway, the King was said to be attacked by a thorn on his scarf or what majestic people wear around their necks and such. Nobody among our noble rulers have harmed the King, is what lies in facts.

"There is no civil war, Osir. We have all been tricked."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: November 04, 2012, 12:52:46 am »

Osir looked at Renart silently for a long time, just staring at him. He then made a quick glance at Sigurd. The fool was bloody smiling.

Osir laughed and laughed and laughed. They were not laughs of joy but of insanity and grimace.

"Renart...it is too late. I've gathered this great army for the Regent's bloody war and after risking my bloody life in the North, I find that the war is over! What do you think will happen once I tell all these raiders that they ought to go home, with no loot to show for their journey? Hell, I even married for this!"

"Hell, even if I were to die, they would simply elect another leader, probably our mutual friend,"
Osir glared at Sigurd, "and then continue like nothing ever bloody happened...Renart, I must continue the campaign. You know it won't end with my death... I can at least...soften the pain. Sorry, friend...."

Osir sighed.

"Your blade Renart and your oath, or your keep and people will burn and die." He said those last words depressingly.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: November 04, 2012, 01:04:23 am »

Renart let the laughter subside before trying to draw out a conclusion to this. It was a bad idea, but one that could garner a win for both sides.

"Osir, I know that we are separated by land and liege, but we are still men deep inside.

"Listen to me now. I have called for arms in knowing that we'd be attacked, but not in a mistake such as this. Help may arrived, help may not come, I am unsure. My men have prepared to death as much as yours. We may be able to salvage this yet.

"We have common enemies, the people to the west of our area - they are but a march of equal distance to Stormstead, are suffering in a civil war of their own, and we pass a forest in turn. Good news, we can find food there. I did want to fight in this condition, but not under mistaken ideals!

"Bring your troops and fight in the west, the Southern half of Windheath has been frozen over - the river is hard to pass at this time. That is the only recompense I can give, my friend."

He couldn't say how surprised he was at the man's words. It turned from one of confidence, to a disparate tone.

What could be done to fix this?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: November 04, 2012, 01:12:21 am »

"...That is a good offer. I must consult the men, Sigurd go and gather the commanders. Renart...I cannot just tell them we have to march west when there are cities here..."

Consult the men if they would mind if raiding was conducted in the kingdom directly west of here. (+1 to haegar stuff).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 01:18:31 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: November 04, 2012, 01:16:38 am »

"Osir, I need a signal to acknowledge if we are safe or not as time is also against me. My men will wonder if I have been captured or not, and I must return to my keep.

"Raise a spear with a blackened pinion from that hill over there where we can all see from the keep, that signifies your intention of heading Westwards. If not, raise a greatsword. That means...we fight."

Renart clasped Osir's shoulder, just as he greeted him before during the hunt. "I am glad to know that we aren't enemies by force, to say the least. Fare thee well, Osir."

Return to Northwatch, begin preparations for the defense of the keep.

Call together my forces for a [RP] speech pre-battle.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: November 04, 2012, 03:10:03 pm »

Consult the men if they would mind if raiding was conducted in the kingdom directly west of here. (+1 to haegar stuff).

[2+1] Your men refuse to go west, arguing that it would take them too far from their homes and put them in a difficult situation if an army got between them and their homeland. However, they do not question your authority, supposing that you were simply checking for their opinion in case you had to change plans.

Return to Northwatch, begin preparations for the defense of the keep.
Call together my forces for a [RP] speech pre-battle.

[There's nothing you can do in the time window you have that would affect the rolls] Your troops prepare for a fight, and gather for a speech.

--------------------

[1+1 vs 2] As both sides start preparing for battle, a hunting horn is heard from the west. A whisper of surprise is heard from the camp of the besiegers, for that signal comes from one of their scouts - and it is used to warn against an imminent attack. The troops of the north barely have time to reorganize their ranks before an army emerges from the woods.

Flying the banners of Windheath (and, in the case of the cavalry, Altaregia), it is constituted of ten thousand men, for the most part fairly well equipped. At their head ride fifteen hundred men, lead personally by Richard Conricht. The Prince, who had been hiding in the foothills of the Silver Spire, had gathered his forces and marched towards Northwatch as soon as he heard the Haegars were nearing the border, managing to get extremely close to the raider army without being detected by dodging or eliminating the scouts of the north, whose talent was doubtful at best.

And, to the surprise of the Haegar officers, the Royal Army does not slow down as it starts getting nearer. Instead, it accelerates, the men breaking into a run and the cavalry starting a full blown charge. While reckless and tactically limiting, the move did prevent the Haegars from reacting with precise and organized tactics - which meant the battle would be a gigantic melee rather than an organized battlefield.

The Battle of Northwatch
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

[22 vs 7] [-2 Berserker regiments]
In a terrifying clash, the Royal Cavalry hit the ranks of the Haegars at full speed. The raiders, disorganized and spread too thin, failed to stop the charge, which cut through their lines deeply and with efficiency. Following the knights came the infantry, which finished the destruction of the front of the Haegar army.
[1] Despite this, the raiders chose to keep on fighting, starting to see red as the blood fell around them, ignoring wisdom in their desperate attempt to earn glory and loot.
[15 vs 5] [-2 Berserker regiments]
As the charge started to loose it's momentum, the Royal Army reorganized its lines, with the heavy infantry forming a massive wall pushing the lines of the Haegars back and the cavalry getting out of the melee to harass the flanks of their opponents and charging at any force too dense, thus keep the raiders disorganized. In a frantic and desperate attempt to form a shield wall, the northerners started fleeing before the adranic blades, and more died trampled by their brethren than by the swords of Richard's troops.
[5 => 6+1 vs 2] Starting to realize how desperate their situation was, the Haegars turned heels and fled, but the Royal Cavalry got past them with ease and bloodied their rear guard, forcing them to remain engaged in the fight or to die in a charge of cavalry.
[11 vs 6] [-2 Berserker regiments]
Once again, the massive disorganization of the Haegars caused their downfall. With the royal army now outnumbering them vastly and the cavalry behind their backs, they got crushed between the two parts of the Conricht army, which acted as anvil and hammer. Through sheer numbers, they managed to force the cavalry to temporarily retreat, thus creating an escape route and allowing them to escape the infantry, but hundreds fell against the knights before they got through.
[4 => 1+1 vs 6] In a monumental chaos, the raiders finally managed to get out of the fight, breaking and running away from the royal army. Richard's forces attempted to catch up with them, but the sheer number of stragglers they had to deal with prevented them from stopping the Haegars from reaching the woods away from the fortress. After a few minutes, the Conricht army stopped attempting to pursue them - for now.

The siege of Northwatch has been broken. The Haegars lost six regiments out of eleven and inflicted no losses to the other side, but managed to become reorganized further north. The battle lasted only half an hour.

Richard went to Northwatch to talk with Renart. Osir can choose what to do now; he has at least an hour or two before the Windlanders have reorganized their army enough to attempt a pursuit.

[4] A group of suspicious looking Haegars  - looking nearly like Windlanders in disguise - who had joined the party during the night find themselves stuck with the retreating army. No one knows they're not part of the original group, thankfully.

March North as fast as possible toward Northwatch. Try to link up with the Prince.

[3-1] You follow the Prince's army for a few days, but you only manage to arrive right after the battle is over. Thousands of men lie dead on the field, and thousands more are getting back into formation. You can see a group of knights before the gates of Northwatch apparently asking to enter; since Richard's personal banner is flying above it, you suppose that's where he is.

Under the guise of hunting trips, take three archers from the regiment and begin to scout out a stealthy path to and from the fort to the western borders. Any food acquired during these trips is to be given to any peasant families in need.

[6] Your men find a path going through the wood that can allow one to cross the borders while dodging all rolls and patrols routes... But it can be used to go both ways, and it seems people from the western side have used it before, judging from the footprints - probably mostly hunter, but still, the secret is not well guarded.
You could choose to use it for yourself, or you could post patrols along it to prevent anybody from the other side from using it - though that would most likely reveal the secret.

Engage Parnoth offensively in the plains with the whole army.
1. Try and request a meeting first [Charisma I].
If the above fails and battle breaks out:
2. Parnoth's regiments are allowed a chance to turn over to our side, joining our army. Their disloyalty wlll be overlooked and they will be joint formally into the army, taking in  account the disadvantage to their side and Parnoth's apparent madness.
3. Parnoth's daughter is to be secured and the man himself captured alive, if possible.
4. Any enemy regiments who rout during the fight will be given a chance to join our army and be pardoned, if they refuse, they will be captured and await the Regent's judgement.
5. If the battle ends in our favor, all of Parnoth's ships are to be immedaitly seized for the army.

Spoiler: Overview (click to show/hide)

Make haste, for Northwatch calls for aid!

(I couldn't resist the reference)

[1 vs 6] With simple efficiency, Parnoth dodge your forces with ease, tricking you into attacking a few scouts ordered to hit metal things together to make a lot of noise while he ran away with his army. [1] With the same speed and efficiency, he goes back to his ships, and returns to the sea. Where he will strike next, you cannot know, but you lost your chance to eliminate him before he leads another raid.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 03:14:44 pm by Shootandrun »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: November 04, 2012, 03:41:20 pm »

"By my hilt! Some very gallant fight happened here, and I am right sad I wasn't there to join it." though Ascalon as he sighted the battlefield. With haste, he made for Prince Richard's banner, and after asking for an audience ((Which I'm going to assume is granted)), said the following.

"My lord, I must congratulate you for your work. Such a battlefield I had not seen since your father's days. I am myself most sorry that I was too late to join in it, but perchance me and the company of archer that the Regent granted me can be of some help yet. ORder, and I shall obey."

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: November 04, 2012, 03:46:29 pm »

Gather torches, poisons (if we have any) and other miscellany supply-destroying tools. At nightfall, take three archers and sneak into Donnerstein territory. Attempt to locate their supply train, and check what sort of guards they have before proceeding further.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: November 04, 2012, 03:54:42 pm »

Richard looked in a fairly good shape, compared to some of the men on the battlefield. Still in heavy armor, he turned around to look at the newcomer as he waited before the gates of Northwatch. His shield was half broken, with a piece of an axe's head stuck into it, and he had a few light cuts on his head (his helmet was nowhere to be seen), but overall he was not seriously hurt. He even managed to smile at the man.

"Ah, so the Regent sent some men up north after all. While I'm interested to learn what news you bring, I think I would rather listen inside near a fire - I am mighty tired of the cold, and as soon as Renart gets this gate open, we'll go to the main hall. Until then, what is your name, Saer, and where do you come from?"

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: November 04, 2012, 11:57:37 pm »

Pre-Northwatch Battle...

Renart moved through the castle, flanked by what little remained of the bowmen and honor guard of Northwatch from the Cold Drake Hunt. Trent's usefulness was unparalleled in the defense, and yet they were surrounded at all sides. Catapults were being made, and siege ladders as well as improvised battering rams were being constructed just on the horizon.

He moved up to the perch, overlooking most of the population below in the courtyard and surrounding bailey - a motley mix of men and even young boys who were all clad in scraps of armor and professional make, the fathers and sons of all of the families of Northwatch, ready to defend their homes and the rest of Windheath from the Haegar tide. To the left and right were the banners of his vassals and regional lords, the elders of the villages and the remaining infantry regiment which stayed behind to guard the trade route. The standard of Northwatch lay visible in the eyes of all, carried by the standardbearer behind him.

"My people! We are gathered today for a momentous event. The Haegar have finally come, and we are here to fulfill our duty to the King. We are outnumbered on all sides, flanked five to one, and harried by a foe which knows no fear!" The Marquis thought it safe to not mention their cause on being here, though, and continued his speech. Using hand gestures to bolster his message, he acknowledged those who chose to fight instead of cower behind: Talinth's people, from the villages nearer to the cold north, the surrounding villagers, now levies and carrying anything presumed to be a weapon, the Rangers of Trent and whomever followed the Trollslayer, and lastly, his fellow nobles who despite their 'selflessness', sent all they had.

"We stand as the first line of defense against the siege. If they break through, Windheath will suffer more than what we will be facing right now. Look not to your homes and families, for they are safe as long as any one of you draws breath. Look not to your possessions, for most of us have given much in the name of King Albert - may he live long. Look not to your estates, for they are only land to your lives.

"But look to the future. Look to the life of the person who stands beside you, with shield raised and spear in hand. Look to protecting your beliefs, and those who follow the same, for we will all be forgotten if this horde achieves victory here. We fight now, for our fathers and mothers. We fight for our brothers and sisters.

"But most of all. We fight, for the King!"

Renart raised his spear, bearing his personal sigil as his last words echoed through the area, accompanied by the roar of the crowd as they cried the same. The only words which every citizen of Windheath knew to their heart and mind.

For the King.

The palisades were reinforced by farming tools. The gates closed and blockaded by lumber wood and drawn wagons. Every wall was covered by archers or peltasts. Even the slings were brought out to battle. The men were arrayed in a pseudo-phalanx, following the first gate and the cavalry were found to be at the sides - in case any of the Haegar were attempting their own maneuvers to cut off the infantry.

Renart stood, clad in full plate and long spear, among his Honor Guard, looking to the hills where the Haegar were drawn out. The only sounds that were heard were the faint hammers and marching in the distance, where the siege engines were nearing completion. The occasional torch burning out and being lit was also present, but no sound or word was uttered as every Northwatcher expected the inevitable. The sound of a Haegar War Horn.

As expected, the mellow sound came through the hills - no sign of Osir's movement appeared, so the Marquis assumed the worst. He gripped his spear tightly, squinting at the horizon for the heathen banner and readied his rallying cry, with Trent and his Steward at his side. What followed astounded them all.

No banner of the Northern tribes were seen, but the combined colors of the Royal army, including the Standard of the Royal Houses appeared in the distant light. Silence was like a blanket over the men as they wondered what magic was occurring. The horn blew again, and the sounds of battle resounded in the distance.

Renart was speechless as he turned to a bewildered Trent. They did not expect aid even before the siege was about to start.

Then, the cries of the Southern lands came. Rallying Horns and horse hooves, heavy cavalry and regiments of men-at-arms. The only thing the Northwatchers could do was watch in awe, adding to the noise their own cheers.

They were saved by an unexpected ally.

Allow Richard passage into the keep.

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: November 05, 2012, 03:39:58 am »

Ask any for if they have visited Adran's Landing, and say I am looking for my father.
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: November 05, 2012, 03:46:24 am »

So many dead..so much waste...so much failure.

More than half of his army was dead or routed. The attack was not a total surprise...but it came so suddenly and with so much force. Osir saw few of the enemies fall. Gods, we had no chance at all.

His men were shocked, and even Sigurd looked a bit worn. We had only axe and shield; we were but a mob while they had lance, horse, and bow.

To think, all this had happened because he bloody decided to help the Regent. He should have shut his bloody mouth and shut himself in Osport, but know, he had to be active...and yet the worse part was that he had gathered an army and found that the war was over, completely over. He had been deceived. A messenger had came bearing word of siege. But it seemed that was not so. He couldn't question the messenger since he had died...but why? Who brought me the message? Sigurd. Bloody Sigurd.

Osir let out an angry cry...and thought.

See if the men are more receptive to heading West now or if they would rather return home...or find another path.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 04:08:26 am by micelus »
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: November 05, 2012, 09:54:29 am »

"I am Ascalon of Minstead my lord, and I served under your father, who was kind enough to give those arms to an humble knight such as myself.

I am afraid I bring little in the way of news, for I stayed in Minstead only a few hours, to assemble those men. Now, while it is not for a knight like me to turn down the invitation of such a noble prince, and while it is normal for a man to rest after a battle, I am fresh and rested enough. With a few more regiments it should be easy enough to track the Haegar and crush the remain of their army."

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: November 05, 2012, 03:37:46 pm »

Trent shook his head at the sight of the Haegar fleeing before Richard's army, what would have likely destroyed Northwatch was now in ruins, and fleeing farther with every second they wasted most likely. Turning to the troops assembled Trent raised his voice,

"Band prepare to march by tonight, we chase these bastards down until they are dust before our feet or we've thrown them back into their own lands disgraced!"

With that Trent turned and made his way to Renart, the meeting would take place soon and he had to make sure it didn't go off into chaos.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: November 05, 2012, 08:17:03 pm »

Richard smiled, but he shook his head.

"I admire your enthusiasm, Ascalon, but our forces are not yet gathered together. We'll need at least an hour to assemble them again, and after that we'll march together to catch up with the rest of these scum. Until then, we have some time to rest - and talk."

After that, he took the time to write a few words on a paper, before sending it off with a messenger to Stormstead. It was a short, preliminary report for Edgard.

Spoiler: Letter to Edgard (click to show/hide)

He entered the castle as soon as the gates opened, and his smile broadened as he saw the lord of Northwatch.

"Renart! I'm glad to see you at last! Are your men up to chase what's left of the Haegar host? In the state they're in, we can probably catch up with them in a day without pressing our forces too hard."

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 101