Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 101

Author Topic: You are King III: Spring 938 AAL  (Read 131472 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III
« Reply #390 on: August 02, 2012, 11:07:32 pm »

(I forgot to post.)

With the lady and lord Edgard gone, Osir went up to the throne and bowed.

"Your majesty, it is good to see you...although the trappings of power does not seem to have made life any better. Never less, I have a proposal to make, as the comte of Osport."

The King is on this throne-if a bit beaten down from his recent Worg hunt. He smiles wearily.

"People don't change, Comte...

Anyway, Speak on your proposal, but he hasty about it. The wounds given to me courtesy of her majesty-whom you can observe mounted in the dining hall-have mandated bed rest by my doctors. I respect them too much to tell them to jump in the river, so I'm going to lengths to please their charts and take their potions.

Speak now, if you would."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 02, 2012, 11:23:59 pm »

"Yes...well your majesty, your dear cousin Henry has been ill for the past few days...and if you remember, you gave him the task of preparing an embassy to the Haegar lands. He has of course been unable to complete any work on this, in any way shape or form. I would request that I be able to prepare an embassy of my own to the north, until Marquis Henry is feeling better...

Ask for my own embassy to the north.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 02, 2012, 11:45:21 pm »

"By all means. If you want to take it upon yourself, I give you permission, and what resources you will need.

...What is the cause of his illness, anyway? The delay is certainly troubling."

The King seems a bit impatient for an answer.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 02, 2012, 11:52:24 pm »

"The medical arts are not by expertise, your majesty. His doctors did sayit was Viablakitny's Fever. Gave him a typical fever as well as paralysis, for a time. The doctors still aren't sure about the cause, though. They told me he won't be up for sometime, your majesty."

Why is the king aski-he's his cousin, you idiot.

Reply to king.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 12:34:08 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 03, 2012, 12:13:58 am »

1. Determine a good target for the guards charging illegal tolls in the bridge and have a large ambush prepared to get them with their hands dirty. They are to be detained and brought before me, if possible.
2. Have a spy pass for a small merchant and petition Baron Brendal regarding the creation of a central market. Hand him a document endorsing the motion, signed by me. Also have two spies accompany him, disguised as mercenary guards.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 03, 2012, 02:55:19 am »

((From here.))

Renart thought long and hard about the propositions made before him. The elders were wise in their request, including their offer of training up the levy troops. There was that Haegar, one he despised much by his confident manner striding into his hall, and partly at his guards - they just stood and watched the act, furthermore, one of the local women had fallen in love with him!

Then that Selenid. Renart glanced to the nearby wall to view his house crest, including an archaic spear that was an heirloom for his house - too old to use, decorative mostly, but the sight of seeing the boastful oaf's head on the tip of one gave him peace. Why couldn't he meet rational merchants?

He didn't like the look of that Selenid's eye, nor the cut of his jib. So he decided to take precautions. "Steward, do we have any laws that exist in protection of merchants who have insulted their customers? Detainment? Interrogation?...A taste of his own medicine? Perhaps a search of his goods before I grant him his 'request'?

"I'd love to let him off with a warning, but I would like to inquire if there are any other merchants in the field that are worthy of supplying Windheath with horses."

If that merchant would sell horses to the Haegar - supposedly a bluff, mounted archers were the last things he wanted to see on the field, then he would see that he received his 'house' in due time. Probably six feet under the ground for...aesthetic purposes.

"And send a messenger to the girl's family, and then request to personally speak with the girl, and the Haegar. I want to know how one of our people could fall in love with a battle-scarred Northling, who might have just cut himself thrice-over to achieve the looks. I'd also like to question the loyalty of either party to-be-wed - the two of them in private, that is."

Ask the above to be done with, if possible, with the problems concerning the Haegar and the Trader.

On the Elders, propose a loyalist guard detachment be stationed to their lands to help train their people in compensation for the year of planning. Foreign trappers be damned, our lands will be unsoiled by their graces and their ilk. The detachment could also aid in training the locals.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 03, 2012, 05:29:05 am »

Well, the rumor mill would surely be fed by this troll hunter.

Tiakath searches for rumors about this person hunting trolls.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 03, 2012, 07:14:49 am »

Trent had little time to spend gathering more supplies, he was well off enough to begin his hunt, and the sooner he finished this task then the sooner he could get back to leading his men. With that in mind he started to think over his choice of where to hunt them, clear above all was the fact that hunting a troll in Haegar territory, while more dangerous, would give him the prime opportunity to scout out the lands across the border and bring back something worthwhile. "To the North again it seems, and to the site of where the Ranger's Guard was reduced to what is to day. Sometimes I regret taking those vows ..." Trent mumbled as he clambered onto his horse, and kicked it into a trot, it was a long way to go and little time to make the journey.

Begin heading North towards Haegar lands, along the way stop at the smaller villages to trade for supplies to help me where I can, and look specifically for a jar of pitch and some spare cloth rags. At the villages ask for any knowledge that can help me kill the trolls, ake a detour round Northwatch, and cross the Haegar border before setting up camp a half a days travel from the castle on that side of the border if possible.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 03, 2012, 08:33:09 am »

>Send Geoff out with Witless John when required.

>Later on, Habarre will head out and track down one of those suppliers of narcotic plants, trying to barter with them for a good price. He'll try and buy just a small batch to experiment with.
You find a few shady individuals in the docks, and after a short discussion they accept to show you a place where you can buy narcotics. [4] Suprisingly, they do not lead you into a trap to rob you, but show you a ship where they say a smuggler deals in narcotics. The ship moves around the docks from time to time for safety, but its red sail makes it easy to find it again, should you want more of the smuggler's products. [4] He accepts to sell you a small sample for a few drakes. The samples include some opium, strange mushrooms from the westmarshes and a bottle containing a green drink.
Later, the Fool returns in Folly-guise to the castle and begins plumbing the castle servants for rumours about current goings-on.  Even later than that, after performing his usual duties of follies, he returns to town in Valsche-guise and starts asking questions about Lord Zedderous' estate and household - keeping close to the exit in case of a needed getaway.

[3+1] You get four rumors out of the servants at the palace.

• Countess Whitehaven, the daughter of the count who was assassinated a weeks ago, is apparently madly in love with Prince Richard. Since she is also very attractive, most servants are convinced it will end in a marriage.
  • The royal brothers went hunting with the Marquis of War's End. Although the hunt was successful, they were apparently lucky to get out of it alive.
  • The western kingdoms are apparently going to war once again, despite the truce that wa signed recently. Merchants will have to interrupt, once again, all trade upstream of Drachengrab.
  • Duc Edgar has apparently been looking for brides recently, and it seems he has made a deal with some lords in Arendalis. Although only one of his potential wives can inherit, he should be able to secure strong alliances.

[4] Lord Zeddrous apparently had eight parcels of lands. The succession is currently unclear; most likely, the king will end up inheriting.

"But, say if some evidence came to light about a Duc's corruption or treason, we could make a push turn into a shove, so to speak.

Of course, we could speed up the process immeasurably, provided we're willing to get our hands dirty. Know what I'm saying?"

"I see... And I do not like it. All the Ducs are loyal servants of the realm, and I do not wish to incriminate them of faults that are not theirs, no matter how good it may be for the king or my family."

[3] The Countess shakes her head at the thought.  "Many men wanted my father dead," she explains.  "My father's business made us rich, but he was the most cut-throat of businessmen.  Sometimes literally.  He had a taste for 'sampling the wares' when it came to slaves - not a month before he died he sold a large batch of cheap slaves to the brothel here.  He'd just come in with some higher quality women to sell when the assassin struck."

[4] The Countess ponders over why someone would kill her father in that particular way.  "Bloodlust, perhaps.  Or simply he panicked when he got caught and just tried to fight his way out of it.  The fact he killed so many just to get to my father suggests his mind was very much on the task - perhaps he had a personal grudge."  The Countess sups some of the soup you have been brought.  She seems curiously dispassionate about her father's death, [1] and for the first time in your life you wish you'd paid more attention to the way women think beyond how to get into their skirts.  You can't read her at all.

[3] She is a little cautious about the state of her estate, probably as a result of your own warning about the intentions of those who might court her.  She explains that her family lands are quite small, less than a parcel in the foothills near Dechire, which is why her father played his much more lucrative business instead.  She suspects that if she marries she will sell the business and invest in land, as she knows better how to manage an estate than a business.

[6+1] Years of convincing women to sleep with you backfire, horribly.  The Countess (whose name you learn is Tiana) is utterly and completely smitten with you and even attempts to kiss you after dinner.  You fend her off on the excuse of chivalry, but you learn that she sends a roast haunch of pork and ale to your personal guards each morning and fresh daffodils to your quarters.

When you return from your hunt, she is waiting expectantly and bursts into (slightly feigned) tears at your still-healing shattered arm, promising to nurse and care for you as best she can.  This woman is utterly and completely obsessed with you... which might potentially make it difficult to marry more wives in the future.

As soon as he managed to get rid of the woman for more than five minutes ("I have an appointment with a physician for the arm..."), Richard started thinking about what he knew of her. She did not seem to miss her father very much, and she was apparently madly in love with the Prince. She was also beautiful, which was always a good thing. However, despite her inheritance, he was not absolutely sure a marriage with her was a good idea. She seemed determined to keep him for herself, and that was bad. He did not intend to be monogamous in life - why have one wife, when you can have four and as many mistresses? - and her current attitude showed what she thought of that.

He would have to be careful.

Dine with the Countess again. Remain a little charming. Try to explain to her (without making any promises) that it would not look good if a prince had only one wife, and that a marriage so soon after the death of a family member was a sacrilege.

If she understands, try and convince her to marry Richard in autumn, after giving some time to Richard to let him marry a few other women - only to avoid social and political complications, of course, and with no love involved for these other women - only for the alliances, of course.

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 03, 2012, 09:02:22 am »

Well, nothing to do now but go to dinner, and receive another contract... Target... Whatever

Go to the Iron hound, an hour before meeting with Aveline. Receive info on the next target, by means of the guy asking if I want a drink. Maintain guard at all times.
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 03, 2012, 09:52:05 am »

Aveline was already at the hound when Karas arrived-sitting in a dark corner, wearing a big hat, smoking a long pipe Strider-style. As incognito as one could be.

She greeted him with a subtle nod. In case anything went wrong, she had his back. Which could be good or bad, depending on the circumstances.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 03, 2012, 10:49:49 am »

Trent had little time to spend gathering more supplies, he was well off enough to begin his hunt, and the sooner he finished this task then the sooner he could get back to leading his men. With that in mind he started to think over his choice of where to hunt them, clear above all was the fact that hunting a troll in Haegar territory, while more dangerous, would give him the prime opportunity to scout out the lands across the border and bring back something worthwhile. "To the North again it seems, and to the site of where the Ranger's Guard was reduced to what is to day. Sometimes I regret taking those vows ..." Trent mumbled as he clambered onto his horse, and kicked it into a trot, it was a long way to go and little time to make the journey.

Begin heading North towards Haegar lands, along the way stop at the smaller villages to trade for supplies to help me where I can, and look specifically for a jar of pitch and some spare cloth rags. At the villages ask for any knowledge that can help me kill the trolls, ake a detour round Northwatch, and cross the Haegar border before setting up camp a half a days travel from the castle on that side of the border if possible.

You easily acquire pitch and rags and begin your journey north.  [6] The peasants along the way are full of information about how to kill trolls; all of which are of questionable veracity.  Apparently trolls...
  • Are vulnerable to silver and will die at the touch of it.
  • Have enough strength and sheer bulk to take on a man in platemail toe-to-toe.
  • Heal at an unnatural rate, but only during the night.
  • Are turned to stone by daylight.
  • Form a protective stone skin in daylight.
  • Look like ordinary rocks until the sun sets.
  • Will not heal wounds made by fire.
  • Will not heal wounds made by silver.
  • Silver weapons actually heal wounds made to trolls, including the wounds they make themselves.
  • Fire heals trolls.
  • Trolls can turn into stone to become immune to damage, but unable to move.
  • Heal instantly if they eat human flesh.
  • Eating troll flesh heals your wounds instantly.
  • Troll flesh is poisonous.
  • Troll hide makes for an excellent armour, but requires great skill to work.
  • Trolls are immune to fire.

Along the way north you run into a small party...

Well, the rumor mill would surely be fed by this troll hunter.

Tiakath searches for rumors about this person hunting trolls.

[3+1] Before leaving Northwatch you ask about Trent and his mission amongst the rangers there.  Apparently the ranger guard in Northwatch are men whom he recruited personally, many of whom have stronger loyalty to him than to some distant king.  The unit as a whole must remain behind to guard the Northwatch, but three of the strongest rangers agree to travel with you in your search for their captain.

Along your journey back to Stormstead, you come across a man with straw coloured hair and blue eyes, wearing a travel-stained green cloak and hood.  It only takes a moment for you to connect the man with the rangers accompanying you and they quickly recognise him for their captain.  He reveals that he is fact headed north past Adderkeep.

Well, nothing to do now but go to dinner, and receive another contract... Target... Whatever

Go to the Iron hound, an hour before meeting with Aveline. Receive info on the next target, by means of the guy asking if I want a drink. Maintain guard at all times.

[3-1] On your way to the Hound, you are not aware of any tails at all.  You arrive at the Hound and take a seat at the bar, ignoring Aveline for the moment.  You sit down and order a mug of ale, but a man in shabby clothing sat next to you flips a billon wolf onto the bar.

"s'F'n, gt't," says the man in some utterly incomprehensible hill accent.  "L'm' b'y'dr'nk."  The barmaid pulls a pint and sets it down in front of you.  The shabby man sips at his own drink and squints at you.  "Cn'y'rd?"

"What?" you ask.

"C'n - ye - ri'd?"

"Um, yes."

"Gd."  The man slips a small folded piece of paper onto the bar, which you palm instinctively.  "Py's thr'y cr'ns, tk't'r'lv't."  The shabby man downs the rest of his pint and leaves immediately.  You take the piece of paper and your drink back to the corner alcove and look at the message inside.

Target is a Selenid horse merchant, Ban Yi Soong.  Soong is believed to have a base in Adderkeep, just beyond Windheath's borders in Haegar lands.  Soong also possesses a ledger with full details of his business dealings.  Pay is 30 crowns, conditional.  10 crowns for killing Soong, 20 crowns for retrieving the ledger and returning it to a contact who will be waiting at the Hound.  Use whatever means you feel necessary.

Ask the above to be done with, if possible, with the problems concerning the Haegar and the Trader.

On the Elders, propose a loyalist guard detachment be stationed to their lands to help train their people in compensation for the year of planning. Foreign trappers be damned, our lands will be unsoiled by their graces and their ilk. The detachment could also aid in training the locals.

Windheath has no law regarding Habeas Corpus.  If you aren't noble, nobles can seize and imprison you without trial indefinitely and even seize your property and person if they can prove they have 'cause'.  Nobles operate under privilege, a separate system of law, but the merchant is not noble so you can impose whatever conditions you like.

Unfortunately your steward informs you that the Selenid, Ban Yi Soong, is the only merchant mad enough to sell horses to Windheath.  International trade outright collapsed during the Age of Iron as a result of Queen Kathryn's staunch isolationist policy - distrust stemming from the risk of external arms being brought in to fuel a new war.  Haegar pirates freely roam the seas near Windheath and without a stable international trade route merchants refuse to pay for convoys to provide protection - as such, luxury items such as horses are ripe pickings for the Haegar.  Soong apparently has his own heavily armed ship by which he conducts trades, though he arrived by horse - suggesting that the ship is moored in some unknown location.

[2] The family of the girl requesting marriage prove unhelpful.  They either know little about how the tryst came to be and simply request that the Haegar be made to disappear, one way or another.

[6] You learn that the Haegar's name is Sigurd Mjolnsenn, at which several of your guards stiffen and the ranger corps immediately reach for their bows.  You've heard of him yourself; a notorious slaver and killer and deadly warrior.  You understood him to have been a chief of some standing amongst the Haegar, but he explains that he was betrayed by his second and usurped.  Sigurd still commands much respect and fear amongst the Haegar and informs you that his first thought was revenge, but he was wounded during the fight that exiled him from his clan and came upon this girl at the border.  His strength left him and the woman, Vorna, took him to an abandoned dwelling and nursed him back to health.  He is willing to forgo vengeance to live a life of peace with Vorna, and will undertake whatever duty is required of him to make this happen.

[5] Vorna corroborates this story independently, claiming that she fell not for his sheer strength but for the stories and poems he told her during his recovery.  She tells you in no uncertain terms that she is loyal to her Marquis, though - if you forbid her marriage outright she promises that will not marry.

[3+1] Although the Elders are unhappy when you say that the trade route will remain open, they are overjoyed to hear that their liege will commit troops to prevent poaching.  Any foreigners that wish to hunt in the swamps will need to acquire licenses, allowing your own people to secure their livelihoods with the growing demand for pelts.  Hurray for mercantilism!  Note that if war calls the guard stationed here away, poaching is likely to occur during their absence.  They didn't get everything they wanted, but they still offer to train a single unit as Ambushers for 0.6d instead, so you ultimately come out in the clear.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 10:54:27 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 03, 2012, 11:07:14 am »

Trent looked at the three of his men who had tagged along, and smiled at the fact that they had come, but quickly he turned back to his usual grim face before saying to them, "While I'm glad the three of you came, Darnell, Tellard, Ardella, I must say that leaving Northwatch with three less of our rank to hold it is something you shouldn't have done, the lives of our people are far more important then the life of someone like me. Though since your here I could use the help, we'll most likely be facing more then a troll on this little expedition." With that said Trent turned to the woman accompanying the three Rangers and gave a her a calculating look before making sure his hood and mask were tightly in place. Letting out a slight sigh he says to her, "And may I ask who you are my lady, and why you've accompanied my men on such a dangerous task?"

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 03, 2012, 11:12:34 am »

" I heard someone needed help, so I obliged.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 03, 2012, 11:14:44 am »

Galhard watched the peasent walk in, he respectfuly waited for him to come out before he entered, after all he was sure that the king would only want one guest at a time, especialy if what the guard said was true. After waiting for a good twenty minutes without an sign of the peasent, he finaly decided to enter, as he walked in he became uncomfortably aware o how his armour chinked and rattled constantly, perhaps he sould have worn his court room clothes, but no time for that now. At last he entered the throne room, kneeling down and removing his helmet with proper respect and and spoke.

"My liege, I am Galhard of the Thunderhound's family, I have come here after a long pilgrimage across the known world, for a crime I commited during the War, but I have returned here to serve you my liege, as I had served your father and mother, as well as return to my house."

"The Thunderhounds have not been seen in these halls for many years...explain to me, in your own words, the reason for your long pilgrimage, and I wll pass judgement."

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 101