Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 101

Author Topic: You are King III: Spring 938 AAL  (Read 131380 times)

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III
« Reply #375 on: August 02, 2012, 06:56:22 pm »

Well, her new mission was to help some idiot. May as well...

Tiakath travels to Stormstead.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 02, 2012, 06:58:07 pm »

The King leaned against another tree, speaking to Cyril.

"Well spoken.

Heh. Don't look so out of breath, Old Man. As your mistresses no doubt inform you, that much of an effort, was surely worth a little pleasure."

He smiles.

"The leg should be fine. Get it looked at, though. Can't have my vassals hopping about. It'd be ridiculous. All the other Kings would laugh at me. I'd be force to abdicate and become a sweet bun baker. Horrible fate. So get that leg fixed, hmm?

Anyway, if you're still feeling a poor sport today, you and Richard can count the arrows in her Majesties hide for the honor of Second Place."
The King says, laughing, and motioning to the corpse, which was ever now being prepared to be skinned and deboned.

"Brother, let's face it: the killingblow was mine. The arrow got to the brain, and he was only moving because it hit the nervous system."

The King laughed.

"Oh, now you're qouting anatomy lessons on me? Serves me right not paying attention in Scienticia Classes...we'll have our embalmer take a look at the skull. If your arrow pierced the brain more than three quarters shaft, I guess you can keep the crowns. Otherwise, I'll expect payment, and an apology!

Also, what we talked about earlier. You should have wife to go home to Albert. Accept my blessing for the Whitehaven woman, if you want her. Not like any woman could turn my brother down."

The King limped off, refusing aid from anyone. He would ride back to Stormstead carrying his trophy, and parade it through the streets.

Action: Return to Stormstead and parade the Worgs Head and pelts in procession for the peoples enjoyment. Have the Alpha Female's Head stuffed and mounted in my dining Hall.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 02, 2012, 07:13:37 pm »

"But, say if some evidence came to light about a Duc's corruption or treason, we could make a push turn into a shove, so to speak.

Of course, we could speed up the process immeasurably, provided we're willing to get our hands dirty. Know what I'm saying?"
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 02, 2012, 07:26:16 pm »

As Renart looked over the lands near Northwatch keep, he knew that summer was drawing near, and if there was any changes to be done in the new reign of King Albert, it had to start when the year was young.

He asked his steward to voice out the state of affairs in Northwatch, including an open court to the common people and their concerns.

Reparations would be made, and if his dream of a Golden Age for the Adranic people would be met, it would start from it's foundations - the peasants.

The Marshes
[2] The marshes are nowhere near as prolific in their variety and quantity of beasts to hunt for pelts as the Ironwood, so local trappers have only ever made a modest living here.  The new trade route will place additional demands upon the fens and this has made some people concerned for their livelihoods - foreign trappers might move in and drive them out.

[6] A group of elders from the villages by the marsh meet you, seeking your counsel.  They fear that with the new trade route other trappers will arrive and hunt the local beasts, putting them in competition they do not care to afford.  The elders make you an offer; if you promise to hold off establishing the trade route for another year so they can prepare, they will train up to three of your regiments how to use cover and terrain to their advantage (Ambusher special) for a mere twenty crowns each rather than the usual hundred crown fee.

Steward's Comments: Overall you get a saving if you wanted to upgrade those troops anyway, but delaying the trade route might have bigger impacts on your economy.  If you go ahead with the trade route, though, the trappers will not like it.

The Haegar
[2] Relations with the Haegar are cold, as ever.  Though the Haegar do not venture over the border to slave, occasional an enterprising trapper might venture too close to Adderkeep and never come back.  There is a long-lasting hatred in these parts for the northerners which is unlikely to fade any time soon.

[3] Which is why you are surprised and appalled to see a Haegar warrior walk into your throne room with a local girl by his side.  Your guards are held back by the many scars on his bare chest, which he openly displays - the Haegar is clearly a very capable fighter, and keeps a small handaxe at his belt.  The Haegar pleads with you to consent that this woman might marry him, for her family will not.  The woman adds that she loves the Haegar and wishes that he could have consent also to live amongst the people at the Keep.  [3] The woman's family are influential commoners, though thankfully not actually amongst your own immediate vassals.

Steward's Comments: This man is an ungodly foreigner and allowing him to marry this woman, let alone stay, will be very unpopular.  He is clearly a capable fighter, though, and likely knows much about his people, and there is always the risk he might kidnap the woman anyway.  No doubt her family would much prefer him dead.

Horse Trader
[-] Horses are not native to Windheath and never have been, so negotiating to buy horses even for your own personal guard has been prohibitively expensive.

[1] The merchant you have been dealing with, a piece of Selenid scum whose mouth could do with being scoured with soap, has charged you heavily for the horses you have already arranged, but he presents another offer to you.  He is willing to go to the great expense of shipping in a second herd of horses at the same price, but wants a special favour in return.  He wants a house in Northwatch and free access through the gates in order to store special items of his own keeping - privately.  He wants the house to remain for the next year if you want this second deal to go through.  He seems unwilling to accept negotiation, mentioning that he could always take his offer to the Haegar.

Steward's Comments: This does not actually cost us anything, except having to put up with that Selenid for a moment longer and the cost of actually buying the horses.  It would let us get around the limited supply of horses, since Windheath does not have a reliable supply.  On the other hand, this merchant is almost certainly smuggling to avoid paying customs duties and we would be a part of that.  Take that how you will.

Gather detailed information on Drachengrab's current situation, focusing on problems afflicting the populace and economic opportunities (+1 from Spymaster I).

Farms
[6] Drachengrab's farms have done exceedingly well in the recent year, with stocks of cattle, pigs and sheep swelling to great numbers.  Unfortunately, the butchers will have to slaughter a very large number of them as well, otherwise the land is very quickly going to be over-grazed.  Unless a committed market for at least one of these can be found, a great deal of potential wealth will be wasted.  [1+1] You are unable to find out more about the inside details of the farms, probably because you have no spies in the agrarian community.  You realise this was an oversight, but such was the penalty of establishing a spy network practically everywhere else.

Trade
[3] Part of the problem is Drachengrab's lack of a committed market in Lorvese.  For as long as you remember, a travelling Sheep Fair (and cattle fair, and swine fair) has ventured around your county when the young beasts are ready for sale and done business with each individual village and hamlet.  Without a centralised market, trade is dominated by a few influential fair-goers who drive their new chattel all over selling it rather than taking it to the capital for trade.  [5+1] You might not have spies amongst the farmers, but you do amongst the merchants and you know well who is behind these tactics.  Baron Brendal, a lord with a very minor fief amongst your possessions, has long had the support of a coalition of wealthy staple merchants.  By keeping the purchases of livestock distributed, his cronies are able to charge higher prices and divide the market amongst themselves than if they had to compete at one large central fair.  [4+1] Brendal has worked hard to stymie attempts by various smaller merchants to set up a larger central fair in Lorvese, [2+1] which has been simple enough due to his ownership of much of the property bordering the square.  Despite his minor fief, he holds undue influence in your own seat of power.

Either way, you will not be able to set up a trade route until you can convince the merchants to sell their wares direct to Lorvese or Stormstead rather than (ahem) fleecing the country weavers and butchers.

Tolls
Finally, there is the question of the bridges across river that span Drachengrab.  [5] The bridges are in excellent condition, maintained for generations by you and yours and even repaired after the ravages of the War of Hounds on Queen Kathryn's explicit orders.  They serve trade excellently and are high enough to let small ships pass through if need be.  Historically, you have never extracted tolls at the bridge because tolls are extracted further downstream at Stormstead, but any ships or barges trying to get further up the Arendal have no choice but to pass.  [3+1] Or so you thought.  Enterprising members of the local guard have taken to putting an additional 'toll' on smaller barges and more vulnerable cargoes.  This does not seem to have had a major effect on trade upriver just yet, but if it continues it might actually discourage trade to the neighbouring kingdoms.

Quote from: Result for spy check on assassin.
[3+1] You had a spy watching the docks for other reasons when everything went down.  He followed the killer into the alleyways some way - caught sight of the Ralkarian rapier he used and his leather amrmour, but not his face.  He also saw the killer stopped by a large man in black clothes who gave him some sort of message before the killer turned a corner and ran off before your spy could follow him home.

[6+1] The spy managed to track the big man all the way into the most dangerous part of the city, where he was mugged.  He spits out a loose tooth as he gives you this information.

[2+1] You can't be sure which one, but you infer from this that the big man probably works for one of the underground crime guilds in the city.

2. Peruse information on the lords of Harald's Demise and Harald's Pride.
3. Look out for unsanctioned espionage around the realm at large.

[2+1, 2+1] The lords of Demise and Pride are the appropriately enough named Lady Amiris Demise and Lord Gunther Pride.  You know what they look like, when they hold court and that they own small amounts of land and are technically your vassals.  Beyond that, you also know that their bodyguards are very good and finding and killing spies.

[5+1] Your spies mention some moron wandering around town openly asking about rumours at every tavern in Stormstead and promise to keep tabs on him in the future.  More alarmingly, your more thorough search reveals a much more alarming revelation - members of your own spy network have been observed by other members meeting outsiders and taking payments.  Your intelligence network is compromised, but the only clue you have is that it links into the criminal underworld of Stormstead.

Quote from: Layout of Rakam's Spy Network
You have [6] 6 spymasters who report to you directly, as well as dozens of lesser spies and many informants who are not part of the direct network but simply sell you information for wolves and drakes.  Each spymaster covers one of the following regions:
  • Stormstead - James Boot
  • War's End and Dergard's Victory - Mark Arrow
  • Dechire, Spiritusaer and Northwatch - Selina Meen
  • Westwatch and Altaregia - "Crutches" Jones
  • Arborvent and Adran's Landing - William Flute
  • The Pact and Oathbreaker - Marna Pail
Footsoldier spies report to you directly in Drachengrab, including the spies who reveal information regarding footsoldiers compromised in Stormstead.
Nobody except you, the Iron Queen and whoever has infiltrated your damned spy network knows the full details of your reach.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 07:48:42 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 02, 2012, 07:40:48 pm »

The King returned to Stormstead, and while on the mend, began going over affairs in the Stormstead Region...he had heard some of the Nobles had been experiment with open courts for commons-and while that was bit below his station-he could meet with higher ups.

Action: Check the state of Affairs in Stormstead with my Steward. Allow Nobles and prominent businessmen to petition me at the throne, as well as commoners who might manage to collect large enough petitions of names for important matters.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 02, 2012, 08:18:08 pm »

Have a dinner with the Countess. Ask her (politely, of course) about the following things:
-Who could have wanted her father dead
-Why would someone do that
-What are her possessions (to help know if someone might have wanted to marry her in order to get them)

Also, attempt to charm her a little

[3] The Countess shakes her head at the thought.  "Many men wanted my father dead," she explains.  "My father's business made us rich, but he was the most cut-throat of businessmen.  Sometimes literally.  He had a taste for 'sampling the wares' when it came to slaves - not a month before he died he sold a large batch of cheap slaves to the brothel here.  He'd just come in with some higher quality women to sell when the assassin struck."

[4] The Countess ponders over why someone would kill her father in that particular way.  "Bloodlust, perhaps.  Or simply he panicked when he got caught and just tried to fight his way out of it.  The fact he killed so many just to get to my father suggests his mind was very much on the task - perhaps he had a personal grudge."  The Countess sups some of the soup you have been brought.  She seems curiously dispassionate about her father's death, [1] and for the first time in your life you wish you'd paid more attention to the way women think beyond how to get into their skirts.  You can't read her at all.

[3] She is a little cautious about the state of her estate, probably as a result of your own warning about the intentions of those who might court her.  She explains that her family lands are quite small, less than a parcel in the foothills near Dechire, which is why her father played his much more lucrative business instead.  She suspects that if she marries she will sell the business and invest in land, as she knows better how to manage an estate than a business.

[6+1] Years of convincing women to sleep with you backfire, horribly.  The Countess (whose name you learn is Tiana) is utterly and completely smitten with you and even attempts to kiss you after dinner.  You fend her off on the excuse of chivalry, but you learn that she sends a roast haunch of pork and ale to your personal guards each morning and fresh daffodils to your quarters.

When you return from your hunt, she is waiting expectantly and bursts into (slightly feigned) tears at your still-healing shattered arm, promising to nurse and care for you as best she can.  This woman is utterly and completely obsessed with you... which might potentially make it difficult to marry more wives in the future.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 02, 2012, 08:46:41 pm »

Close call. Prince Conricht has sent the City Watch on him. Good thing they never checked his blade...

Taking his hood off, but not sweeping the cloak back, he began looking for the King's fencer

Look for Aveline

In truth, she finds you-you feel a feminine hand take your shoulder, a blade pointed at your side, and a whisper. "Eight men without a scratch...impressive. Come with me."

She pulls you into a side passage of the castle, and you reluctantly follow her through the Labyrinth of the castle. Aveline eventually pulls away from you, knocking on a brick on the wall-which turns out to be a fake panel, revealing a lever, which she pulls-sliding away a portion of the wall you were just staring at...she beckons you to follow, and in a moment,the pair of you are sitting in some windowless room, deep in the castle. She leans against the wall, and throws you a bag of gold.

"You've earned 15 crowns for your work...and my respect." Her cold eyes warm to you a bit. But her hand never stays far from her blade.

"...The Nobles are calling you a crazed murderer. The Guards say you're the Ghost of Lord Dervish come back for his revenge. The Low-Born are calling you an idiot for meddling in the affairs of Nobles. The Slaves are Calling you a Freedom Fighter. If you care, the whores are calling you a Hero for ending that piece of shits life.

So tell me, what's the truth?"
She leans against the wall, her intentions inscrutable.

"The truth about what, milady?" he asked, a small hint of confusion in his voice.

This killing thing has gotten a little out of hand. Nine people in a flash. Now guards everywhere are looking for his specific weapon.
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 02, 2012, 09:09:13 pm »

She also seems a bit puzzled.

"I'm merely asking what you are, Sir.

Why do you kill? What emotion drives you? Do you even know yourself?"

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 02, 2012, 09:17:15 pm »

"I kill becaus it is the life I've known, my mother has known, and her parents before that. I seek to be useful to this country, and if that means I kill lowlifes stopping the King, so be it. I already know I cannot let anger drive me. That emotion must not see the light of day, ever. And i'm not sure I even know myself."

he looks down, sighing

"My father was a mess every night. the pain and abuse only served to distance me from my own self. I considered how much injustice me and Mother suffered, and thought how many people had to endure similar fates. I decided to embrace the path Mother had left for me, and leave. The rest, like killing slavers, freeing their prey, and the like was me following what I thought was right."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 02, 2012, 09:42:18 pm »

Aveline nods.

"Seems you were holding that in for a bit. They say confessions good for the soul, anyway.

So, you kill for to survive, you kill for justice, you Kill because you know no other life...that's not entirely different from myself...at least before I fell into Albert's employ. He gave me alot. A goal in life, if nothing else. I had something to fight for, rather than just die for. There's a big difference there, but you won't know until you find out yourself.

So, what about you? Are you just waiting to find someone good enough to Kill you?

Or, are you looking to live?"

Her gaze is steady...

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 02, 2012, 09:49:55 pm »

"I do look to live... While there is a cause still worth living and fighting for. And also... well..."

things got a little awkward

"... Well, I never really had any kind of relationship with any girl. I was too shy back then..."

Great, now are ya gonna tell her about how you got the 'Tailing a target'? and Who you tailed?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 02, 2012, 10:08:42 pm »

Aveline runs a hand through her dark blonde hair.

"I figured you'd get around to that.

It's only a relationship if you want one, really. I'm nothing if not open to anything that happens between us, or doesn't happen.

If you're looking for logical reasons-you need a cover identity that gives you indirect access to the King. I need a reason to be seeing you often. This works for us both. You also need to lie low for a bit, no waving that fancy sword of yours about-this saves you the trouble of hiding in the slums, anyway. Personally, I would have gone with something a big plainer...but to each his own.

Personally, I want to get to know you. You're dangerous. I'm not sure if I could take you in a fight, and I've not said that about someone in a long time. That makes me...curious.

So, we can live a little, together. Honestly...we can be a bit selfish, just with each other. You helps lots of people, you never look to yourself, it hurts too bad after awhile.

We could both use a...surcease. From our duties...does that sound so bad? To be with me? If only for a little while?

Well, speak.

You're a Demon with a blade, but you have trouble talking to a woman. Oddest thing."
She finishes, smiling slightly.

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 02, 2012, 10:20:25 pm »

Karas was a little taken aback by Aveline's openness in seeking a relationship.

"i want to get to know you too. Too long have I lived by myself. Consider it agreed, Aveline"

"Also, why is the next meeting in the Iron Hound? Isn't it a little... Public?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 02, 2012, 10:58:34 pm »

She shrugs. She seems to drop her guard a bit. Change. Even her accent seems to change. She's less a fencer, a killer, a kings guard...and more of a woman. Could it all be a trick?

"Couldn't say.

My best guess it hiding in plain sight, love. It makes couriers less nervous to meet you in a public place. You're probably being contacted by the Kings Spymaster. Only he'd know about what happened.

We'll see what happens, I guess. Just lie low, like I said...don't let them catch you with that sword on your person, and you're in the clear after a few weeks. Trust me...the King thought this through. If people dig enough, they'll find plenty rotten on the mark. Stuff that could blow back against the family. Choice between a dead man nobody liked, and a living one to do business with...well, things fall into place...investigation becomes a little easer to shelve. No shortage of crimes to solve, anyway."

She stepped closer to him.

"So, us. I can see you're a bit hesitant, that's smart. I am supposed to kill you if you threaten the Kings interests, which I'm sure you guessed by now. I'd hate to do that, but It wouldn't be personal. I'm a professional too.

But I don't want to. Do you understand? I want to put away the blade for once. Always on your guard...it makes one tired, after a while. So damn tired.

I'd just want to trust someone-trust you. Even if it's not very smart to do so...so, meet me tonight. Dinner. We'll talk...see what happens...catch you later, love."

She trailed off, vanishing into the shadows. A piece of paper drifts to the floor. Time and place.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 11:10:38 pm by Dwarmin »

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 02, 2012, 11:06:48 pm »

after those events, Karas' heart slowed down. Holy Shit, The gods' must be at his back or something.

But time is of the essence, so no more dallying. His hood still off to not arouse suspicion, and rapier still concealed, he moved to the meeting location for the two.

Move to the location for dinner, with Aveline. Make sure I am not followed by ANYONE.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 101