Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 101

Author Topic: You are King III: Spring 938 AAL  (Read 131449 times)

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III
« Reply #420 on: August 03, 2012, 03:02:41 pm »

"Well, your brother saw it fit to punish Trent for contempt of nobility. He ordered him to bring back a troll's head. Trent appeared to be rather over-confident in his skills and his memebership in the Rangers, so Prince Richard thought it would be a good idea to see if the man is as tough as he says."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 03, 2012, 03:10:18 pm »

Kninh taps his fingers as he lists his skills, a definite note of pride in his voice.

"I think that is a fine list of accomplishments. A King can use all the help he can get...

Hows this for a test. As you can see, I've recently suffered some wounds while out hunting...as have many of my hunters. There is a certain fever which afflicts some of those who were cut by the Worgs claws. One of my guards lays dying of this fever now. If you can heal her...or at least ease her passing...or do anything more than wring your hands, like my current Physicians have done, you will be my advisor. Does this sound fair to you?"

"Well, your brother saw it fit to punish Trent for contempt of nobility. He ordered him to bring back a troll's head. Trent appeared to be rather over-confident in his skills and his memebership in the Rangers, so Prince Richard thought it would be a good idea to see if the man is as tough as he says."

"Well. Those Rangers can certainly be...difficult to deal with. If my brother saw the punishment as fair, then I guess I must as well. Let's hope he's not stupid enough to hunt one alone, anyway.

Now, what did have to say about Naval and Army spending? I am a King, with no head for math. I will just say spend as much as you like without bankrupting us. Do tell, what are our plans for expansion?
"
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 03, 2012, 03:20:41 pm »

"Well, if my diplomacy with Arendalis works, I will be able to bring more vassals under your crown. However, they will demand good protection, so I will be in touch with your brother. Of course, I will extract a reward for that myself from Arendalis itself. We will only have to worry about the war with Donnerstein."

Edgard eased his tone again.

"I will ask Richard about army spending and the marital arrangements. I will be happy to wait with my wedding until the ceremony is complete and Elise if finally at your side."

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 03, 2012, 03:32:14 pm »

"I think that is a fine list of accomplishments. A King can use all the help he can get...

Hows this for a test. As you can see, I've recently suffered some wounds while out hunting...as have many of my hunters. There is a certain fever which afflicts some of those who were cut by the Worgs claws. One of my guards lays dying of this fever now. If you can heal her...or at least ease her passing...or do anything more than wring your hands, like my current Physicians have done, you will be my advisor. Does this sound fair to you?"

"Now that you have informed me of her plight, I cannot in good conscience refuse to heal her. Show me to the wounded, and I will begin work at once."

((Assuming this happens;))

Upon arriving at the sickbed, Kninh confers with the physicians present, inquiring as to the nature of the illness. He then requests some common herbs, some strong alcohol, and a sample of powdered worg-claw. Or a whole worg-claw, in which case he will grind it to powder himself.
Long Live United Forenia!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 03, 2012, 04:05:39 pm »

1. Determine a good target for the guards charging illegal tolls in the bridge and have a large ambush prepared to get them with their hands dirty. They are to be detained and brought before me, if possible.
2. Have a spy pass for a small merchant and petition Baron Brendal regarding the creation of a central market. Hand him a document endorsing the motion, signed by me. Also have two spies accompany him, disguised as mercenary guards.

[1+1] Your men initially pick a series of large, expensive vessels looking to make some money to the west, but the guards make no effort to take tolls because those ships have their own protection.  [4] Your men manage to do this without being noticed by the guards, so they take another attempt.  [2+1] Another run of barges pass without success until at last one of the guards attempts to extort a toll from a small barger.  [4] Your men spring their trap and arrest him, serving as witnesses.  Unfortunately you were only able to catch the one guard performing the act, but he is bound and brought before you.

[6+1] One of your spies poses as a Ralkarian trader looking to secure a new position in town.  Unfortunately he does a little too well in his disguise and attracts the attention of several other traders who themselves work to oppose what they see as being a foreign invasion of their trade.  [1+1-1] The merchant attempts to petition the Baron directly, but the various local merchants opposing him block access by arranging their own 'appointments' to clash and prevent him even seeing the Baron in the first place.  [2-1+1] The spy is forced to send a written petition instead, with your document attached.  The document disappears and he fails to hear from the Baron - unfortunately, it disappears without proof that the Baron was responsible.  You may need to attack this problem from another angle.

Quote from: Richard
Dine with the Countess again. Remain a little charming. Try to explain to her (without making any promises) that it would not look good if a prince had only one wife, and that a marriage so soon after the death of a family member was a sacrilege.

If she understands, try and convince her to marry Richard in autumn, after giving some time to Richard to let him marry a few other women - only to avoid social and political complications, of course, and with no love involved for these other women - only for the alliances, of course.

[6] Once again, you find you actually can't control how charming you are and throughout dinner the Countess spends the whole time staring lovingly into your eyes rather than listening to what you have to say.  [5-1] Your words about monogamy do break through her thoughts, though, and she seems to seriously consider them.  "Yes," she agrees, "it would be un-befitting of your station."  [2-1] Unfortunately, your comment about her father's death actually incenses her.

"How dare-" she starts, then catches herself.  She daintily dabs her neck with a napkin.  "Forgive me, Highness, I forget my place.  Yet kindly do not tell me how to mourn my own father."  The Countess' eyes darken slightly.  "He was not a man easily mourned."

[5-2] She seems crestfallen by your proposal of a later marriage - especially the implication that another wife would be your first.  You suspect your clumsy manoeuvering of the discussion thus far has not helped.  Even so, the wisdom of your words strikes true.  She looks down at the dessert on her plate, untouched as she listened to your final words.  You cannot see her eyes clearly when she speaks.

"You... you are right, of course.  Forgive my presumptions, Highness.  My - my station would not permit it.  I will wait for you, Richard.  Highness.  Do forgive me, my prince.  I'm afraid I - I'm afraid I can't quite manage dessert.  I've got a lot to stomach already."

The Countess makes the perfunctory etiquette to leave the table, then departs immediately.  You think you can hear her start to cry as the door closes.

Task Successfully Completed!

" I heard someone needed help, so I obliged.

Trent was slightly annoyed the woman had not told him her name, but if she wished to keep her secrets she was allowed, the gods knew he had his own and so did every man that walked this earth. Nodding he spoke up, "Then lets get a move on, we need to head for the Haegar border right away, once there we'll make our way across and head for the fortress located on the other side. Our first task before going to hunt the troll will be to scout out that fortress, and get rough estimates for men stationed, fortification strength, nearby villages, preparations for war, etc. The once that is done we get on to the fun part of hunting a troll, so let the Hunt begin."

Follow above order up to going to the Haegar fortress, with utmost stealth of course.

You detour around Northwatch as per your earlier design, taking the armoured woman and rangers with you.  [1] You attempt to set up camp in the marshes, but you are unable to find any solid ground upon which to do so.  As evening starts to fall the endless fog of the fens starts to fall away, only to reveal lights in the distance.  [4] It appears to be a small party of hunters.  Fortunately, they have not yet seen your party.  [3] Less fortunately you think they might be Haegars, though not an actual warband.  You will probably need to pass them somehow to reach Adderkeep safely.

"Now that you have informed me of her plight, I cannot in good conscience refuse to heal her. Show me to the wounded, and I will begin work at once."

Upon arriving at the sickbed, Kninh confers with the physicians present, inquiring as to the nature of the illness. He then requests some common herbs, some strong alcohol, and a sample of powdered worg-claw. Or a whole worg-claw, in which case he will grind it to powder himself.

You are brought to the woman in question, who is in a dire state.  You can see where someone has roughly stitched shut the long, jagged wounds where the worg slashed her, but they fester and ooze.  [4] The physicians seem to agree that it is a common fever brought about by the worg's strike, which a less wounded woman might well survive, [5] and they have already made some of the appropriate prayers and cleaned away the mud from the wounds.  They appear to be slightly more competent than the king gives them credit, but they lack the knowledge you have.  [Pre-treatment will grant a +1 to your check to heal.]

[3+1] The herbs are brought, along with some applejack.  The recent hunt has left worg claws rather more common, and the woman herself has one as a trophy.  You are now ready to begin.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: August 03, 2012, 04:53:46 pm »

[3+1] The herbs are brought, along with some applejack.  The recent hunt has left worg claws rather more common, and the woman herself has one as a trophy.  You are now ready to begin.
"Thank you. You may wish to observe, though this may take a while."

Crush the claws; mix the powder with sweet herbs, and set the mixture burning in a bowl by the window. Offer this sacrifice to any gods or spirits that may be watching.

Make of the alcohol and herbs a mixture that will dull the senses, awaken the patient, and feed this to her. Give her a strap to bite on, if she needs to.

Carefully open up the wound, and wash it out with hot water.

Take the bowl of worg-claw ashes. Inquire as to the patron god of the patient, and pray again to that god to accept the sacrifice, and undo the damage it has done to this brave warrior.
Have the patient join in the prayer.

Make a mixture of curative herbs, alcohol, and the ashes, and spread this in the wound.

Chant holy verses for a tenth of daylight. If the patient is not in too much pain, have her join in. A second dose of the numbing mixture may be required.

Clean out the wound with warm water and sow it shut. Bandage in clean linen. Encourage the patient to pray to her patron god, and remind her of the power of faith.

Servus Kninh cures this stricken dame with a combination of medicine and the power of faith.

((Basically just cleaning out the wound and disinfecting it, the fire would burn any toxins out of the claw, and giving the patient hope and something to focus on can't help.))
Long Live United Forenia!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 03, 2012, 05:00:31 pm »

Servus Kninh cures this stricken dame with a combination of medicine and the power of faith.

[6+1] The alcoholic mixture does the job of dulling the senses, if a little too well.  The patient falls into a deep sleep, breathing steadily throughout.  She won't interfere, at least.  [1/5]

[5+2] You open up the wound with practiced skill and clean it out.  The patient does not wake up from pain and you are able to continue without interruptions. [3/5]

[5+1-1] Although the patient is not awake to join in on the prayers, you are still able to conduct them yourself and finish treating the wound.  You chant for the rest of the time allotted and the patient remains unconscious throughout, though at one point you think you see her lips move to the prayer.  You are able to clean out the wound and sow it without difficulty.  [5/5]

You can never be absolutely sure, but the physicians agree that you have probably saved this woman's life.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 03, 2012, 05:56:56 pm »

((From here))

"Intriguing. That scum of a merchant deals by sea trade, yet we don't have any evidence of a ship that goes by that description in any of our known docks, if my guess is right, then we are either dealing with one who has underground connections, or a pretty crafty merchant.

"Could you send men, Steward, probably one or two of our Rangers to keep watch on the man while I consider his option?"

Send spies on that Selenid merchant to affirm my suspicions.

Keep with the plan on sending a guard regiment to the elder's lands for our trade route to press on.

Spoiler: Rectify Spring Orders (click to show/hide)

Request that the Haegar himself, will announce to the people, both common and nobility in Northwatch alike, of his intentions and of his shift of loyalty given the acceptance of such.

Back of the man's claims by stating that the presence of a new ally is one that we will accept; his use if beneficial to us, and who would dare to break the bonds of true love?

But first send a letter over to Prince Richard stating the matter before any of the events will occur. Await his reply.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 12:37:20 am by Tiruin »

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 03, 2012, 06:45:24 pm »

Quote from: From Richard to Renart
Lord Renart,

As long as he settles with a minimum of warriors (none preferably, but you can let him bring his sons and brothers in, if he has any), I see no problem to giving him asylum in our lands. However, to avoid political insidents, we will not be able to stop the current ruler of his clan from getting him, if he comes looking for him. I suggest that you settle him in far from the border, and that you keep quiet about his location.

At the dinner with the Countess

Richard followed carefully the Countess after she left the room. He placed his hand on her shoulder and spoke to her softly in an apologetic tone.

"Lady Tiana... It was not my wish to offend you, or to dictate your actions, when I spoke of your father. I can understand that you do not desire to mourn him - gods know, I doubt I will mourn the Iron Queen when she dies - but when I spoke of him, I was simply noting that other nobles may find it... Impolite for a young lady to marry a man so soon after her father's death. I simply wished to avoid you embarrasment - I do not want you to become the victim of other's insults and mockery over an easily avoided mistake in protocol. Your happiness was the only reason I suggested it."

Make apologies to the Countess over the talk about her father.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 03, 2012, 07:34:03 pm »

The King returned to Stormstead, and while on the mend, began going over affairs in the Stormstead Region...he had heard some of the Nobles had been experiment with open courts for commons-and while that was bit below his station-he could meet with higher ups.

Action: Check the state of Affairs in Stormstead with my Steward. Allow Nobles and prominent businessmen to petition me at the throne, as well as commoners who might manage to collect large enough petitions of names for important matters.

The Nobles
[3] Your mother's policy with the minor and lay nobility was always one of "don't make me come over there and everything will be fine".  Her primary concern was keeping the country together rather than driving it forward, which given the state it was in at the end of the War of Hounds was probably for the best.  Her harsh policies earned her fear and respect, but few friends amongst the minor nobility.

[5] Kathryn's policies had some advantages.  The Crown owns a great deal of Stormstead's surrounding estates directly rather than via minor nobles, chiefly as a result of seizure from traitors and suspected traitors.  You are not particularly dependent upon the goodwill of the minor nobility in Stormstead to get things done and they have only limited power to get in your way, though that is not the same as no power.

[5] Various nobles come forward with propositions that they had been unwilling to burden you with at your coronation, including the presentation of several young eligible women.  Eliza, daughter of Comte Bren Lorden, strikes you in particular for the powerful connections her father has with the minor nobility in the region.  [5] She is blessed with truly stunning looks, and the grace and charm that comes from an entire lifetime spent learning etiquette, [4] and is something of a scholar and capable administrator to boot.  [1] The downside is that not only is she his third child (the first two are sons), [1] her father is notoriously in debt as a result of maintaining his family's lifestyle.

Steward's Comments: An opportunity rather than a pressing concern.  Although Lady Eliza Lorden is of relatively low station - not a Duchess heir by any means - her father's connections would secure solid relations with the local nobility, making them much more lenient towards future reforms you might pass.  There is almost no chance of inheritance however and her father's poverty means no dowry either.  She might make a good third or fourth wife, unless some other noble snaps her up first.

The Merchants
[2] The Iron Queen outright neglected the commercial welfare of the entire country, including Stormstead.  Trade languished, merchants found it difficult to purchase land or expand businesses out of suspicion and fear of the merchant class gaining too much power and some foreign merchants were actively persecuted.  Trade and industry within the country collapsed during the War of Hounds and stagnated utterly during the Reign of Iron, to the point where the country's natural resources were left untapped and the trade routes of old between North and South died out.  International trade never recovered and only traders stopping on their way toward Arendalis really frequent the capital now.

[3] Several of your nobles have already sponsored new trade routes, trying to rejuvenate the economy and make some profit, but a great deal of work remains to be done.  In order to start up international trade, you will have to attain sufficient surplus of a specific type of good in the capital to then negotiate trade with another nation.  This can only be achieved by establishing 3 local trade routes of the same type to the capital.  From there you can import a permanent source of some new trade good to the nation, be it a strategic resource like Iron or Horses or luxury or industrial resources like Textiles and Slaves (which would have effects on prosperity and industry).

[2] A deputation of merchants arrives with a problem.  Local trade with the northern provinces is being made difficult [3] by tolls on the Redspear Delta.  The lay and minor nobility there are enforcing private tolls for wagons crossing the bridges, which have only increased with the burgeoning trade in furs and opal deposits from the Silver Spines.  The nobles are well within their rights to charge the tolls as there is nothing in noble privilege to prevent it and nothing in the common law to protect the merchants, but many merchants are taking the long route through Drachengrab and Shipbreaker rather than pay the tolls and this is discouraging others from trade.

[2] The merchants beg you for some sort of redress, be it a cessation or at least lowering of the tolls.  Their businesses are still new or small from the long years of Iron, so they cannot present you with an appropriate gift to sway your reason, but they promise their support in the future if you stand by them.

Steward's Comments: You have a fairly wide choice of actions here.  Doing nothing will not rock the boat, but it may erode support amongst the merchant class if things get bad.  Fortunately, the merchant class is weak like the nobility.  If you help them out in a big way, you'll gain support from them, but they'll get more powerful in the future - helping the growth of the city but making them a more dangerous faction to deal with.  You don't get a cut of the tolls on the bridges right now, but that's because they don't really make enough money to be worth taxing and the nobles aren't required to submit a tax.  If you interfere with the tolls it could upset the nobles, whilst leaving them will only make them content.  On the other hand, you could tax the bridges and impose official tolls as they are within your own territory.  This will get you money, but the merchants won't like it.

The Commons
[1] Stormstead's fields are actually rather infertile compared to the rich pastures of Drachengrab, which is why you get such a low yield in taxes from the region.  The best land is covered with housing due to the island's strategic value and the rest is largely given over to pasture.  Nevertheless, what food is produced here is essential to keeping the city fed.

[1] Stormstead suffered the brunt of bad weather during the last harvest season, which has left shortages only exacerbated by the demands of the urban populace.  People are hungry and beggars are not an uncommon sight in some parts of Stormstead.  The bad harvest has driven many peasants to the city to find work, only to find there is none to be had.

[2] The demands of the harvest have led a number of prominent villages to send representatives.  With their combined weight they have been allowed to send one of their number to speak with you.  The people of Stormstead are starving, and while they have been doing their best to survive they have had no choice but to come and beg their liege to uphold his feudal duty and protect them against this year's winter when it comes.  The representative requests that food be provided in the short term but that more importantly plans be made to construct a city granary to protect against such ravages in the future.

Steward's Comments: The peasants will not be cheap to feed.  Stormstead's large population would set the Treasury back 50 crowns to purchase enough grain from Drachengrab and Altaregia to feed the people for the coming year, but it would prevent unrest come winter.  Establishing a permanent granary would cost 1 ducat, but it would restore faith in the crown to a people long neglected under the Iron Queen's rule.  On the other hand, money is never in abundance and one must be ready for unexpected troubles on the horizon...

Make apologies to the Countess over the talk about her father.

[4] The Countess accepts your apology, hiding her face as she wipes the tears with a handkerchief.  She kisses your hand respectfully and promises that she still feels fond towards you, then makes a departure to her chambers in the palace.

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 03, 2012, 07:42:16 pm »

Galhard reacted as if he had been struck, his once noble hous redused to bandits and housewives, impossible, "Are you, sure? I mean surley there must be something left aside from myself."
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 03, 2012, 08:21:04 pm »

Send spies on that Selenid merchant to affirm my suspicions.

Keep with the plan on sending a guard regiment to the elder's lands for our trade route to press on.

You hold back a decision on the Haegar until you receive Richard's letter, but your spies [2] prove rather ineffectual at tailing the merchant.  He observes them following him around and makes efforts to stay out of their way, locking his doors tightly and conducting his affairs out of sight.  [3-1] As far as you can tell, he's just a rather paranoid merchant with a ship docked in some smuggler's cove somewhere to avoid being boarded by pirates.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 03, 2012, 08:41:13 pm »

Like a mother seeing her son again, Theor jumped from his horse, with a tear in his right eye. He hugged the shield and kissed the silvern raven on his beak. "Do you know this artifact, Fillem* ? This is Blackshield... Formed from giants out of their bones. So say the old ones." Fascinated and gently the last Blackshield stroked the black diamonds, which encircled the edge. "It was worn from the first Blackshield, Adalfus Schwertzschilt, who fought with Pyradacor to protect his king. It was told that the shield was white, but the fire of this great dragon made it black. Since this day, the fire of the dragons are in the hearts of my dynasty..." This was the greatest gift Albert could make him... The return of the long, lost heirloom... " I thank you, William... Say, are you the protégé of someone?"

*Fillem = Fillem is a fatherly address to a promising, young man.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 03, 2012, 10:13:38 pm »

1. Have the guard interrogated; should he refuse to talk, a brief stay in the oubliette is bound to change his mind.
2. Try and locate through whatever means availiable strong pretenders to the Baron's title who would be favorable towards the creation of a central market, failing that, look for a powerful merchant of a similar opinion.

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 03, 2012, 10:53:57 pm »

Well, nothing to do now but go to dinner, and receive another contract... Target... Whatever

Go to the Iron hound, an hour before meeting with Aveline. Receive info on the next target, by means of the guy asking if I want a drink. Maintain guard at all times.

[3-1] On your way to the Hound, you are not aware of any tails at all.  You arrive at the Hound and take a seat at the bar, ignoring Aveline for the moment.  You sit down and order a mug of ale, but a man in shabby clothing sat next to you flips a billon wolf onto the bar.

"s'F'n, gt't," says the man in some utterly incomprehensible hill accent.  "L'm' b'y'dr'nk."  The barmaid pulls a pint and sets it down in front of you.  The shabby man sips at his own drink and squints at you.  "Cn'y'rd?"

"What?" you ask.

"C'n - ye - ri'd?"

"Um, yes."

"Gd."  The man slips a small folded piece of paper onto the bar, which you palm instinctively.  "Py's thr'y cr'ns, tk't'r'lv't."  The shabby man downs the rest of his pint and leaves immediately.  You take the piece of paper and your drink back to the corner alcove and look at the message inside.

Target is a Selenid horse merchant, Ban Yi Soong.  Soong is believed to have a base in Adderkeep, just beyond Windheath's borders in Haegar lands.  Soong also possesses a ledger with full details of his business dealings.  Pay is 30 crowns, conditional.  10 crowns for killing Soong, 20 crowns for retrieving the ledger and returning it to a contact who will be waiting at the Hound.  Use whatever means you feel necessary.

Aveline was already at the hound when Karas arrived-sitting in a dark corner, wearing a big hat, smoking a long pipe Strider-style. As incognito as one could be.

She greeted him with a subtle nod. In case anything went wrong, she had his back. Which could be good or bad, depending on the circumstances.

Didn't that Strider chap end up becoming king in some far-off land? Anyway, Karas grabs the dinner for two, and moves to the quiet corner.

"So, can you tell me anything about this Ban Yi Soong?" listening intently.
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 101