Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we start fresh with version 1.4.6? (Regenerate map, etc)

Yes!
- 14 (93.3%)
No!
- 1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: December 25, 2012, 01:15:00 pm

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 220

Author Topic: Forsaken's Gaming Servers  (Read 288336 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Forsaken's B12 Minecraft Servers
« Reply #840 on: September 10, 2012, 10:51:46 am »

Having it all be player based rather than plugin based generally makes for a better server. If you can't trust the people you're playing with to not steal your shit, it tends to not be fun.
Alright, but don't be asking for rollbacks and stuff when a creeper pops and takes out half your house either. :P

The land plugin also protects towns from hostile mobs and damage.

The reason I'm looking into adding these things is I intend on making the server public. Maybe I'll do two servers? I'll give it some thought. Sure we can trust most people from here but the general internet population is kind of iffy. I guess I just like more structure in the game, letting people claim land and build towns with backend mechanics, taxes, etc. I think it would be fun to have players go off to establish new towns, gather the towns into nations, do some limited pvp war, etc.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #841 on: September 10, 2012, 10:53:04 am »

If you're going all public with the server, you need plot protection straight up, the honour system doesn't work when some random can log on, fuck shit up, and never be heard from again :P
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

electronics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Minecraft Address of the server
« Reply #842 on: September 10, 2012, 10:54:30 am »

Nooooo I need my uu =P. If we start a new map, could it be a possibility to have like a double chest per person or something that we port over so we don't loose *everything*.
1=0

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #843 on: September 10, 2012, 10:56:28 am »

If you're going all public with the server, you need plot protection straight up, the honour system doesn't work when some random can log on, fuck shit up, and never be heard from again :P
Yeah that was my thought. I was leaning towards the towny plugin because it doesn't require a ton of admin intervention. You wouldn't have to wait for me to designate new plots, you could set  the permissions yourself. You can even make a town, build a wall and deny outsiders any entry so they're ejected from the chunks automatically.

Lockette looks like a decent chest/door/block protection system too for individual players. Lock up your chest and your door, nobody can get your stuff.

If we start a new map, could it be a possibility to have like a double chest per person or something that we port over so we don't loose *everything*.
I'll consider that, especially for people who help me build the new spawn town and stuff. ^.^

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: September 10, 2012, 11:06:50 am »

Lockette's pretty good, you can lock machines and such as well with it IIRC
My cabbages!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #845 on: September 10, 2012, 11:44:18 am »

Lockette's pretty good, you can lock machines and such as well with it IIRC
I believe you can lock any block if you specify it in the plugin, and I /think/ it works by default on anything with an inventory. Even enchanting tables, though I have no idea why you'd lock one.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: September 10, 2012, 12:08:24 pm »

I'd really prefer it just being a private B12 server...
The interaction i had with other players on the TN server was at a minimum, only talking to my mates anyways.
On the negative front more player would add more lag, to a server that is mostly fine, but sometimes laggy already.
It would be cool to have a Hardcore tekkit server, restricting block breakers(not removing, but making them buyable).
But the trick to having a good server shop, is having a good way to earn monye. TN did this horribly, earning money was either grindy or exploity.
So my question:
Can you find a good way for people make money? (good meaning fun)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #847 on: September 10, 2012, 12:33:44 pm »

I'd really prefer it just being a private B12 server...
The interaction i had with other players on the TN server was at a minimum, only talking to my mates anyways.
On the negative front more player would add more lag, to a server that is mostly fine, but sometimes laggy already.
It would be cool to have a Hardcore tekkit server, restricting block breakers(not removing, but making them buyable).
But the trick to having a good server shop, is having a good way to earn monye. TN did this horribly, earning money was either grindy or exploity.
So my question:
Can you find a good way for people make money? (good meaning fun)
How did TN do it? I never played on there. There are a few ways to do this.

1. I can include McMMO or something similar. You would get small rewards at each level, which could be cash or items or whatever.
2. I can enable getting money just for killing mobs.
3. I can let you sell items for cash
4. I can add a mob arena which spawns waves of mobs in varying difficulty and has prizes for surviving each wave as well as a prize for finishing.
5. I can include a plugin like MCJobs which lets people make money by doing specific actions, joining jobs they are interested in.
6. I can add in adventure worlds with spawling cave complexes/ruins/etc and chests hidden around with mob spawners and traps.

An alternate thing is I could tie cash to an item. Say gold and diamonds. Your available money is literally tied to the amount of gold/diamonds in your inventory. Change is given back in bars and nuggets of gold, for example. Just a thought, not sure that I could do that. Would certainly make gold important though!

I've been making notes on all of those options over the last few weeks, doing my research.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: September 10, 2012, 12:36:11 pm »

Having it tied to physical items sounds pretty awesome, although I'm not sure how nicely it'd play out in actual gameplay. I think it's definitely worth testing, having a magical inventory of money just doesn't sound as fun as having to lug around gold to buy stuff. And it means there's a risk, if you foolishly venture into the wilds with your money in pocket.
My cabbages!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #849 on: September 10, 2012, 12:40:51 pm »

Having it tied to physical items sounds pretty awesome, although I'm not sure how nicely it'd play out in actual gameplay. I think it's definitely worth testing, having a magical inventory of money just doesn't sound as fun as having to lug around gold to buy stuff. And it means there's a risk, if you foolishly venture into the wilds with your money in pocket.
Then the only question is, how much would a bar of gold be?

If the plugin were flexible enough, we could do something like:

IC2 Coin = $1
Gold Nugget = $10
Gold Bar = $90
Gold Block = $810
Diamond = $2500

or whatever arbitrary value we want really.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #850 on: September 10, 2012, 12:49:25 pm »

problem with this monetary system: you get UU-matter, you're set for life.
metaphorically. then again, by that point, you don't really need the money, I guess...

Also, I'd be up for a new map, myself.
You missed the part where I said I plan to disable UU matter generation. I'll make it so you can purchase iridium but I really hate what mass fabs and lolquarries do to the economy. A diamond is nothing special when you can plop down a quarry and link it to a protected chest and come back the next day to have 20 more diamonds. Frame quarries are even worse, they require no fuel and have no upkeep at all beyond the initial construction.

If I allow quarries and frame quarries at all, it will be so that you must buy them and they will be rather expensive and only usable in certain areas.

EE is included in Tekkit isn't it? I will likely have to disable transmutation as well, if I can. Or at least tweak the numbers so you gain nothing from xmuting iron to gold or whatever. This will all be worked out in testing though. :P

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: September 10, 2012, 12:58:49 pm »

I kinda like how it is now.
Mining really isnt a fun thing to do when you are used to building giant machines without material worries.
I think especially alway will dislike a new system :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: September 10, 2012, 01:04:54 pm »

Check out the Server Op Swap Shop on Technic Forums for plugins you can use to disable recipes n' shit. There's probably some in there.
*Hugs*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #853 on: September 10, 2012, 01:45:20 pm »

I kinda like how it is now.
Mining really isnt a fun thing to do when you are used to building giant machines without material worries.
I think especially alway will dislike a new system :P
I'm not disabling the IC2 miner. It actually requires player interaction and an investment in energy and time to use, and covers a smaller area. You can still mine with machines, I just really dislike AFK mining.
Check out the Server Op Swap Shop on Technic Forums for plugins you can use to disable recipes n' shit. There's probably some in there.
Will do! And will the Menacing Merchant be joining us at any point on this new server?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: September 10, 2012, 02:16:17 pm »

Possibly, although with college starting back up recently, my only interaction with Minecraft has been banning spambots and idiots from the various (2) forums I moderate.
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 220