Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we start fresh with version 1.4.6? (Regenerate map, etc)

Yes!
- 14 (93.3%)
No!
- 1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: December 25, 2012, 01:15:00 pm

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 220

Author Topic: Forsaken's Gaming Servers  (Read 288305 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Forsaken's B12 Minecraft Servers
« Reply #825 on: September 09, 2012, 05:23:51 am »

Now, I've downloaded the file in the first post and I understand how to add them to the .jar file. However, it occurs to me that it all requires version 1.2.5.
1: How do I get version 1.2.5
2: Is there any other mods/programs that I need on top of what is in the client .zip file?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

unrisen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: September 09, 2012, 09:11:30 am »

How come I am the only one that plays on the BTW server? It's really boring playing by my self :(

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: September 09, 2012, 01:13:40 pm »

We need more builders at skycity. So far I've built the entire thing. >_>
Needs all sorts of misc stuff; so add stuff it needs, make it look interesting; build! :D

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: September 09, 2012, 01:42:04 pm »

It's just... kinda hard to figure out where people are supposed to build in the skycity. Like, ok, build wherever you want, but... then someone'll say "you're blocking the way" or something? Also I don't even understand the current layout of what it's there already. Is it all part of the construction
bay? Some of it is already something else?

Not saying there should be a grid, but SOME guidance would be nice. At least we could have a path or something that goes N/S or E/W? Doesn't even have to be a straight line.

EDIT: I'm going to start building an arbitrary "sky island" connected to the main, since I'm trying to guess that's what you want us to do?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 01:53:40 pm by Sergius »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: September 09, 2012, 02:59:41 pm »

It's just... kinda hard to figure out where people are supposed to build in the skycity. Like, ok, build wherever you want, but... then someone'll say "you're blocking the way" or something? Also I don't even understand the current layout of what it's there already. Is it all part of the construction
bay? Some of it is already something else?

Not saying there should be a grid, but SOME guidance would be nice. At least we could have a path or something that goes N/S or E/W? Doesn't even have to be a straight line.

EDIT: I'm going to start building an arbitrary "sky island" connected to the main, since I'm trying to guess that's what you want us to do?
Well, there isn't really "a way" so much as there are loose height suggestions. ~185 should be around the bottom of any sort of maintenance shafts, utility lines, ect. ~200 should be around "street level" or "ground level;" essentially the top surface of the place. That 15 levels of 'underground' should be more than enough to route around anything; and I get the feeling that the more organic and chaotic the layout is, the more interesting it will be, hence the lack of guidelines in general.

The construction bay is pretty much just the bay itself, the control room for the doors, and the structure with stairs embedded into bay opposite the control room. And even those things which aren't the bay itself can be connected to other adjacent things if you deem such a connection useful.

In general, if it ends up looking like an over-engineered steampunk monstrosity with inefficient design circumnavigated by a weave of pipes, wires, and tubes which appear to have been laid out by the Great Old Ones, I think we will have succeeded in making a really cool city.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 03:05:05 pm by alway »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #830 on: September 09, 2012, 04:31:39 pm »

Just a heads-up. The reason I haven't made any changes/updates to the server is I am patiently waiting for the new Buildcraft and a few other mods to update. Minecraft is in an 'interestion' transition right now from 1.2.5 to the 1.3.x format. Many mods have already updated, many more have not. If I were to jump ahead and update to the newest version, it would be missing several mods and all of those mod items would vanish from the map. For example we'd have no buildcraft, no IC2 and no redpower for a start. We'd have mystcraft, forestry, and some others.

Just keeping you all up to date.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #831 on: September 09, 2012, 08:45:05 pm »

Missing one of BC, IC2 or RP2 might be alright but all 3 would be horrible and honestly RP2 is almost a requirement for me. Thats actually part of what I am waiting for before I start another Minecraft Lets Play so yeah. I would like to say something which would be cool to add, the Gravitation Suite mod which if you watch Direwolf's Server LP you will have seen. It adds a lappack which holds a lot more and charges quickly but the big thing it adds is the chestplate which combines the mentioned ultimate lappack, the quant suit, and the function of a jetpack all in one. Now I don't know if it will update quickly so whatever but its really cool.
   Also I just recorded a video on the server of my Quarry and the Gash. Only one person was on and I warned ahead of time that I was recording so that was fine. It will be up a bit later though its really more of a show and tell rather then anything useful so if you have not seen my quarry (IE everyone but Alway this you can take a look here though if you want to look at it in person its not as hard now. If you look in the bottom of the creator where the Gash starts somewhere on the bottom there is stone bricks which is basically the top of my tunnel. There is a way in down there along with a link book which should be in sight that goes back to my base where the logic is.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: September 09, 2012, 09:15:04 pm »

I believe there was a mod that added water physics (pressure etc). That would be awesome if it has a client/server version (and is available for the current version).

I also built my first redpower quarry. Entirely self-contained logic since I like entirely self-sufficient things. damn does it fill up chests fast. Im having trouble getting rid of crap (dirt, cobblestone etc) fast enough to not clog it up.

Also, Can't live without IC2 and RP2. Losing BC would be tolerable, but it does has some useful stuff.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #833 on: September 09, 2012, 09:31:08 pm »

If your using an enderchest and don't mind just pumping it in with the rest of everyones stuff there are a couple chests you could pump into where the stuff will get sorted and processed as needed though to note, stuff like cobble is thrown in lava.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #834 on: September 10, 2012, 04:05:24 am »

Making some progress here! I have what I think is a solid core of mods now. I didn't realize MCPorts had ported some of these mods to 3.1.2 already... using Tekkit as a core would let us update without losing RP2/IC2/BC. Obviously I'd need to test some stuff out first.

So a few questions:

Would you guys prefer an updated bukkit server with a ton of new functionality, with the small side-effect that we'd lose some mods which don't have bukkit ports? Notable examples being the forcefield mod, for example, and Thermal Expansion I believe doesn't have one. There are a few other mods as well. The upside is we'd have a true land management system where you could claim plots, form towns and protect them from monsters, have actual PVP arenas. The other downside is we'd likely reset the map to accommodate the new land claiming system and town system.

I could do this one of two ways...

1. I could bring up the new server and offer the bukkit version for you guys to try out and see if its worth rebuilding from scratch again. I know its a pain in the ass to rebuild everything but the new server would have some cool stuff, and I'm planning to do an admin event at the start where I give out cash and have essentially a free-build weekend so we can get a spawn town up and build some cool stuff, like the arenas and a tutorial tower and some other things.
2. I could import the map directly with all of its ugly scars from your quarry mining and hope I could make the existing town/towns work with the land system.

Either way the current server would stay as-is.

I will be building and testing the server over the next few weeks anyway, so we have time. PM me if you'd like to help beta test and once its at a stable point I'll let people in to look around.

Edit: It should be noted that if we simply port the current map (assuming it even works) to the new server build, we'll be missing things like pyramids and 1.3.x emeralds and NPC traders.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 06:28:38 am by forsaken1111 »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: September 10, 2012, 09:27:56 am »

I don't mind that much starting over.

I already know how to make a kickass frame quarry ;) and all we need is to have a functional UU matter machine.

Then we would again create an age and start again making the skycity.

An alternative would be to use some sort of copy/paste utility to bring some essential megaprojects to a new world (block IDs could be a problem).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 09:30:37 am by Sergius »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #836 on: September 10, 2012, 09:47:45 am »

At a minimum I'll probably attempt to bring the contest megaprojects into the new map as part of spawn, but I'm seriously thinking of disabling UU matter generation and making quarries/frame machines much more expensive than they are now and purchasable only from an admin shop. They trivialize the economy and should be quite rare and expensive, not plopped down and powered by an array of redstone engines. I'll also have designated mining areas and/or a mining world.

I'll do a longer post with more detail but basically the new server will be more structured. There will be a spawn town of a set size where you can purchase cheap lots to build a house and get established. Once you've earned some cash you can head out into the wild and claim land for yourself to create your own town. I'm thinking of using Towny here, which makes town size dependent on the number of members joining the town. The biggest change here is that building will likely be disabled in the 'wilderness' between towns. You'd be able to claim a couple of chunks for yourself by making a 'town' and then not inviting anyone if you really wanted to build out there, and I can always make plots available for free building for things like community structures, bridges and the like.

I'm looking for a good plugin which lets me tie the use and placement of certain blocks to certain tiers or ranks or groups. If anyone knows of one, please let me know.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: September 10, 2012, 10:19:13 am »

Just build a 48 block road in both directions and call it a day.

Put some end and signs there that tells people not to build along the road if they run out of space but instead make other paths so it wont be one long road.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #838 on: September 10, 2012, 10:25:21 am »

Just build a 48 block road in both directions and call it a day.

Put some end and signs there that tells people not to build along the road if they run out of space but instead make other paths so it wont be one long road.
You'd rather do this than the ability to claim land and form towns and nations?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #839 on: September 10, 2012, 10:44:06 am »

Having it all be player based rather than plugin based generally makes for a better server. If you can't trust the people you're playing with to not steal your shit, it tends to not be fun.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 220