Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we start fresh with version 1.4.6? (Regenerate map, etc)

Yes!
- 14 (93.3%)
No!
- 1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: December 25, 2012, 01:15:00 pm

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 220

Author Topic: Forsaken's Gaming Servers  (Read 288300 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forsaken's B12 Minecraft Servers
« Reply #810 on: September 07, 2012, 12:09:58 pm »

Can someone PM the modpack download to me? Sorry about my long absence, school caught up to me :P
Its on the first post of this thread.

Hey forsaken, do you have any experience with dedicated Minecraft servers? Apparently this one is plenty cheap: http://123systems.net/minecraft.html

(for 2 GB of memory :P)

But I have no idea what limits they have compared to a VPS. I know, VPS have pretty much none on the software side (as long as you know how to install it). I assume a Minecraft-host has some sort of panel and you can install any mods... tho it uses Bukkit. I really have no idea.
I'll take a look. I prefer the extra control and options of a VPS but will look into it anyway, thanks.

Oh I also prefer to have full control. Don't get me wrong, I'm not recommending this, I'm honestly asking for opinions. In fact, I know that some MC "specialized" servers use VPS anyway, others use some sort of shared hosting (basically, running many servers in a single instance). And some regular VPS hosts are dirt cheap (thrustvps? I think they're the same as fsckvps and cheapvps, which I've used before) while others are slightly more expensive but give even MORE control (linode). This is purely academic, since I don't intend to run yet-another-B12-server to dilute the player base even further (I think we have like 4 concurrent users ATM).

Right now we have (I think) one "technical" server (this one) and a vanilla server (planehacked?), plus your BTW server, and there aren't a ton of players, so...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 12:12:09 pm by Sergius »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #811 on: September 07, 2012, 12:13:46 pm »

My BTW server is on a linode shard.

The real bottleneck for minecraft servers isn't memory, 2GB of memory is enough even for my modded to hell server. The real bottleneck is CPU power, and its tricky because Minecraft can only use a single core.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: September 07, 2012, 12:45:47 pm »

I had an idea for a bit of a mod that would be basically tailored for mystcraft but I could imagine the B12 server would love it.  The basic idea is transporting frameships or otherwise "stationary" structures across distances.  It would work by setting up a frame around the object, and then activating it, where it would "virtualize" the content of the frame and put it onto some sort of item, and then another (or the same) frame could rebuild it back to the way it was.  This could incur significant costs, probably in the form of IC2 energy, but it would effectively let you transport frameships to mystcraft worlds, as well as some very fun things like putting a chunk of nether into the overworld, or transposing an entire dungeon.

I figure there's already modding tools to add and remove blocks, mostly in Buildcraft, and there's plenty of legroom to store things like chest content and microblock orientation.  It'd be a big mod, but it'd be so cool.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: September 07, 2012, 02:39:22 pm »

Is this server still running minecraft 1.2.5? This type of info really should be somewhere on the OP...
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #814 on: September 07, 2012, 02:42:49 pm »

Is this server still running minecraft 1.2.5? This type of info really should be somewhere on the OP...
I thought it was fairly obvious considering, but I'll put it in there anyway. I'll update to 1.3.x once all of the mods are updated.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: September 08, 2012, 02:17:14 am »

Girlinhat that would be a very nice mod.
i am saddened by the fact that if i build a frameship in the normal world, i can't visit sky city, and the other way around.

and making it cost IC2 power is a good idea, since it's besically only useful for mass fabbing and forcefields.
would be nice to have more uses for it.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: September 08, 2012, 07:21:26 am »

Just make a jetpack and a portal gun.
Otherwise, there is a book to skycity in the shed.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #817 on: September 08, 2012, 11:08:50 am »

could we occasionally do some sort of ultra hardcore PvP game or something a la mindcrack ultra hardcore?

Because that seriously looks like it'd be great fun.
I don't mind if you want to organize PVP events. Isn't that what the arena area is going to be for?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: September 08, 2012, 06:33:45 pm »

"No branch mining" sounds like a heavy artificial handicap.  That's beyond the point of "let's make things difficult" and to the point of "let's blindfold ourselves and try and point at passing blimps".

For the main server, I imagine we could generate temporary mystcraft worlds to tear up.  Dwarven PVP tends to involve the environment heavily, what with the nukes and the magma.  I'd personally love to get involved in something like that.  Full-scale warfare, the likes of which take all week to prepare the resources and only takes an hour of glorious binge purging to exhaust.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: September 08, 2012, 11:09:26 pm »

I once prototyped a nuclear torpedo that could inchworm its way manually forward until something stopped it before detonating.
...The engine battery ran out during testing. With a live warhead on board. Near Rollingbasalt my first tank.
That hurt. I've gotta learn how to backup structures in Minecraft.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #820 on: September 08, 2012, 11:16:51 pm »

You need a swarm of nuke bots that travel at world height towards your enemy and then carpet bombs them with nukes.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: September 09, 2012, 02:11:23 am »

I once prototyped a nuclear torpedo that could inchworm its way manually forward until something stopped it before detonating.
...The engine battery ran out during testing. With a live warhead on board. Near Rollingbasalt my first tank.
That hurt. I've gotta learn how to backup structures in Minecraft.
Or learn to not use live ammo for testing... Or at least use less destructive ammo (TNT) for testing.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: September 09, 2012, 02:58:26 am »

While building our nuclear sub, we got talking about how awesome it would be to have the War of Skycity.
What we do is Forsaken backs up the server, and then for a few hour it's all out war. Blow up as much shit as you want.
we might want to have some kind of only cannon rule like on TN.
and then, when we are done, and have blown each others frame crafts to bits, Forsaken rolls back the server.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: September 09, 2012, 03:00:39 am »

The problem is, skycity isnt exactly done or intresting yet.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: September 09, 2012, 05:07:58 am »

we don't have to do it now...
actually if we did it now, we wouldn't be able to participate, since our sub isn't done.

but it would be nice to have scheduled down the line, so that there is a point to building framecrafts with cannons.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 220