Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28

Author Topic: What is the best...Film?  (Read 30080 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the best...Film?
« Reply #345 on: July 23, 2012, 12:31:54 pm »

I pretty consistently forget how fantastic the Matrix is, and so I'm continuously amazed every few years when I end up watching it again.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 23, 2012, 12:45:23 pm »

I studied film for 5 years, in collage and at university. I've watched films from many different contries and in many different genres. I've seen more films than I can even begin to count.

Through my many years of extensive study of the art of cinema I have discovered what is objectively the best film ever produced by a human. That film is Transformers: The Movie from 1986.

This is unarguable fact.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 23, 2012, 01:06:54 pm »

Pfft. Not the live action Speed Racer film?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 23, 2012, 01:09:41 pm »

Wow, so many good films listed already.  I really like Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan myself along with the Dark Knight, Star Wars, the Matrix, and Dr. Strangelove.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 23, 2012, 01:22:27 pm »

There's also Army of Darkness. Which, while perhaps not the extent of epic film-making in the way Citizen Kane or Ben-Hur or Chinatown is, is still one of the best damn movies on the planet to get drunk and watch. So many one-liners....

Looking at IMDb's Top 250, I'm also reminded that we haven't mentioned Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo. We must seek penance for our sin.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 23, 2012, 01:24:50 pm »

Is that The Good the Bad and the Ugly?

*checks*

Yes, yes it is. I've only seen the latter half of that. Was pretty good, except the really, really, really, really long scenes. That mexican standoff lasted like a full 5 minutes.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 23, 2012, 01:26:38 pm »

*checks*

Yes, yes it is. I've only seen the latter half of that. Was pretty good, except the really, really, really, really long scenes. That mexican standoff lasted like a full 5 minutes.
WHICH IS WHY ITS SO AWESOME

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 23, 2012, 03:10:03 pm »

*checks*

You really should watch the first half some time. That Mexican Standoff was between three men who had been constantly playing and backstabbing each other for the entire film, making alliances before shattering them without warning. Now, there are no games to play, no clever ploys. Just three very dangerous men, all of whom detest the others, waiting to see who draws first. It's storytelling gold.

Gave it some thought, and came up with a couple more best movies:
The Matrix trilogy, mostly for the special effects. Hate on the plot all you want, but that CGI was groundbreaking for the time.
District 9 for it's grittiness and dark humor.
Serenity. Yes, it was basically non-sexual fanservice, but it was really, REALLY good fanservice.
Lord of the Rings trilogy by Peter Jackson. Look at some of the behind-the-scenes footage sometimes for my reason.
And now, by far the best movie ever made:
The Justin Beiber movie. This is a joke.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 23, 2012, 03:29:30 pm »

You can't possibly think it better than "Katy Perry: Part of Me"! JB:NSN is 12% behind KP:PoM on Rotten Tomatoes, but they're both fresh nonetheless. Apparently both managed to be more than oversized promotional videos.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 23, 2012, 03:49:06 pm »

You can't possibly think it better than "Katy Perry: Part of Me"! JB:NSN is 12% behind KP:PoM on Rotten Tomatoes, but they're both fresh nonetheless. Apparently both managed to be more than oversized promotional videos.
I'll stick with crossroads, thank you very much.

But more officially... I'm not sure I could even name a "best" movie. There's a lot of good ones though. I'll nominate Amelie, even if it's the cliche obvious choice.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 23, 2012, 04:39:24 pm »

Team America: World Police.

Fuck Yeah.
This is a blank sig.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 23, 2012, 04:54:35 pm »

I'm with Siquo on this one, too many choices.

So I'll just Sucker Punch (and really pretty much all other films mentioned in here are awesome) which is one of the coolest movies, simply because it is similar to my way of thinking and hoping how the world should function (the imagination thingy, not the whole put your daughter in a mental institution/brothel so you can get their house).

Also in that vein Scot Pilgrim.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 23, 2012, 06:06:48 pm »

My favorite is Donnie Darko. I'm willing to admit that it's probably not the best movie, though.

I still haven't seen The Matrix. Or Saving Private Ryan, but that's not quite as troubling. There have been a lot of movies listed that I haven't seen yet and should.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 23, 2012, 06:14:57 pm »

I've heard some rumors that the director's cut of Donnie Darko makes a whole lot more sense than the original. Can anyone verify that?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 23, 2012, 06:17:48 pm »

I vote Yellow Submarine. It's actually surprisingly influential, in addition to being hilarious and having an awesome soundtrack.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28