Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

Author Topic: Visual novel thread  (Read 45065 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Visual novel thread
« Reply #195 on: May 27, 2016, 04:18:49 pm »

I considered that to be included in the "single man with his own place" bit. Although the sex itself isn't really a major focus.
It's all about that hot dice bumping action.  And trying to hunt down those goddamn random scenes for 100% completion.
I considered that to be included in the "single man with his own place" bit. Although the sex itself isn't really a major focus.
And trying to hunt down those goddamn random scenes for 100% completion.
And trying to hunt down those goddamn random scenes for 100% completion.
goddamn random scenes for 100% completion.
100% completion.

Spoiler: 98.654% (click to show/hide)

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 27, 2016, 08:25:44 pm »

I've been playing "If my heart had wings", and while it seems intruiging, the translation is just... "off". I'm not a native speaker, so I might just be wrong, but some parts seemed wrong, or at least nonsensical to me. One of the routes also had very silly writing all of a sudden, like it was written by a completely different person that didnt have a clue what they were doing. I might have to check if there's a patch or the like that fixes that, if it's even an actual issue and not me jsut being dumb.

A friend of mine has also been nagging me to go give Muv-Luv a go, but I've heard it's quite on the tragic side of stories. Downer Endings or just heavy tragedy in general tends to just depress me for a week or two, so I'm not sure if I should read it or not.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 27, 2016, 09:15:52 pm »

Assuming you got the Moenovel version, you got the horribly butchered version that everyone hates. The Japanese devs who made it (Pulltop) decided they wanted to translate it, but they made their own company to translate it, Moenovel. Being that the devs were Japanese they had absolutely no idea how to translate to English, and they tried to cut it down to all-ages from 18+, so all of the routes but particularly one girl who's a huge slut got butchered.

This patch adds back in sex scenes and redoes the route which got absolutely butchered, as well as cleans up some of the worst Engrish in the translation. I haven't actually tried it so I can't speak to it but I've heard good things about it.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 27, 2016, 11:10:02 pm »

A friend of mine has also been nagging me to go give Muv-Luv a go, but I've heard it's quite on the tragic side of stories. Downer Endings or just heavy tragedy in general tends to just depress me for a week or two, so I'm not sure if I should read it or not.
Muv-Luv is suppose to come on Steam this summer so you might as well wait a month or two if you are going to play it. I probably wouldn't recommend the entire series if tragedies aren't your thing though... The Steam version will be the updated version that has the latest Age engine so it'll look nicer at least, with widescreen and lip sync. We got some sample screenshots in the Kickstarter activity and they're also on the Steam page now.

Spoiler: Comparison Screenshots (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 11:14:12 pm by ToonyMan »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 28, 2016, 07:08:34 am »

The Steam version will be the updated version that has the latest Age engine so it'll look nicer at least, with widescreen and lip sync. We got some sample screenshots in the Kickstarter activity and they're also on the Steam page now.

I'm not sure getting rid of the text box should be called an upgrade. It may look prettier, but legibility is more important. And honestly, with the font and typeface choices they made, it doesn't even really look better.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 30, 2016, 10:36:11 pm »

Assuming you got the Moenovel version, you got the horribly butchered version that everyone hates. The Japanese devs who made it (Pulltop) decided they wanted to translate it, but they made their own company to translate it, Moenovel. Being that the devs were Japanese they had absolutely no idea how to translate to English, and they tried to cut it down to all-ages from 18+, so all of the routes but particularly one girl who's a huge slut got butchered.

This patch adds back in sex scenes and redoes the route which got absolutely butchered, as well as cleans up some of the worst Engrish in the translation. I haven't actually tried it so I can't speak to it but I've heard good things about it.

Thank you for the Patch. It seems much better now!

Muv-Luv is suppose to come on Steam this summer so you might as well wait a month or two if you are going to play it. I probably wouldn't recommend the entire series if tragedies aren't your thing though... The Steam version will be the updated version that has the latest Age engine so it'll look nicer at least, with widescreen and lip sync. We got some sample screenshots in the Kickstarter activity and they're also on the Steam page now.

I might give it a birth then. I know it makes me sound like the worlds wettest tissue, but I just prefer a "happy" conclusion to my stuff. Bittersweet endings or outright downers tend to stick with me for quite a while and just leave me unsatisfied.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Ak-Sai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 05, 2016, 07:26:56 am »

Good day to everyone.

Could someone suggest a vampire-themed VN with a good plot? I've played Tsukihime and Melty blood so far, and looking for something good to experience.

Thanks!
Feed 'em please)

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 05, 2016, 12:30:30 pm »

There's Kagetsu Tohya in the same series. Past that, Dracu-Riot is a decent moege which probably doesn't match your implied "serious plot" requirement, and Diabolik Lovers which is an okayish otome game, although I've never touched it myself.

Past that the selection is pretty much entirely limited to untranslated stuff. Vampires are fairly niche you know.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 05, 2016, 08:46:25 pm »

I might be dating myself a bit here, but didn't Divi-Dead have something to do with vampires?

EDIT:  Well, here's a good starting point.  I'm not going to do all the work for you.

https://vndb.org/g5

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 15, 2016, 12:20:30 am »

Muv-Luv is now out on Steam
It's FEF, not FEOF

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 15, 2016, 01:28:27 am »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 15, 2016, 07:20:06 am »

Umineko landed as well right? It's definitely a good time if you want to read an insanely long Visual Novel.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 15, 2016, 02:56:19 pm »

All of the good visual novels are late to the party.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 02, 2016, 11:49:59 am »

So I have apparently discovered the English VN market is crap.

Everything is either all-ages versions, or sketchy unofficial/conversion jobs.

Having said that, I did play through Katawa Shoujo again using an unofficial Android port, and it wasn't a terrible experience. 

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 02, 2016, 04:07:19 pm »

So I have apparently discovered the English VN market is crap.

Everything is either all-ages versions, or sketchy unofficial/conversion jobs.

Having said that, I did play through Katawa Shoujo again using an unofficial Android port, and it wasn't a terrible experience.

I wish I had read the all-ages version of Fate/stay Night instead; having horrible sex scenes crammed in for no reason all over the place certainly did not enhance my reading experience.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16