Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: Visual novel thread  (Read 45049 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Visual novel thread
« Reply #165 on: May 03, 2016, 10:26:29 pm »

Yeah. For example, Steins;Gate does have routes, which typically culminate in a romance, but that's only like 20% of the focus since 80% is about fixing the timeline.

I'd define Dating Sims as where you, the protagonist, are actively going out of your way to gain the interest of a girl culminating in you starting a relationship. It is also where romance is at the very forefront and not a mere "consequence" of action.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 04, 2016, 08:38:24 am »

Ah, I just meant there is an actual interesting story outside of the romance plot, it's fine if there is some romance elements.

I'll check out Lucid9.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 04, 2016, 09:34:55 am »

In that case, Cartagra, Kara no Shoujo, and KnS 2 are all excellent murder mysteries, although they do all have sex in them, especially Cartagra.

Never7, Remember11, and Ever17 are probably also worth reading.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 04, 2016, 10:06:42 am »

Murder mysteries sound like my alley, thanks for the suggestions

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 04, 2016, 12:01:26 pm »

This is a very borderline example, but Analogue: A Hate Story and its sequel Hate+ could fall within those parameters. You play as a sort of space detective trying to figure out what happened on a several-hundred-year-old ship. There are certainly romance elements, but it's pretty much up to you whether to pursue any sort of relationship.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 06, 2016, 08:59:05 am »

I think Higurashi is fairly well regarded and has little/no romance in it?  Admittedly I haven't played that one much yet.

I think if you liked 999/Virtue's Last Reward you might enjoy Ever17.  Also the third Zero Escape comes out this year!

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 06, 2016, 09:17:55 am »

Yeah Higurashi and Umineko are excellent.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 06, 2016, 09:26:59 am »

I started with a bit of Lucid9 so far (it's free!) and I am somewhat apprehensive. Stereotypical characters, foreshadowing, meaningless decisions, see spoiler. I'm really just at the start and I'll stick with it for a while but I'm having doubts.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 06, 2016, 11:33:09 am »

Stereotypical characters,
They're not all winners, but I didn't generally find them lacking even though it focuses on the MC, and the way they dole out information about him so sparingly, he seems pretty bad until like halfway through.
foreshadowing,
I'm not sure if you're saying that there was too much or too little. Personally, I didn't discover much of importance ahead of time, but realized what was going on when the details were revealed, so it seemed appropriate to me.
meaningless decisions
Yeah, there's a lot that's "meaningless" in one way or the other. A common criticism is that there's too much SoL. I disagree with that in the general sense because I think it's necessary, both for characterization (which comes pretty slowly) and to provide a smokescreen of content which prevents you from going "Oh, the story paid attention to this so it must be a clue". I do agree that there are specific scenes which could have been cut, though. Regarding decisions, they're mostly used as opportunities for you to think and to give you a pat on the back when you figured something out ahead of time, they're not supposed to lock you out of the true end if you're not sufficiently deductive. Although there's a certain part where this does happen, and you have to behave intelligently based on realistic factors rather than on narrative tropes, which throws people off and I had a lot of bad ends before I figured out how to stop being a dumbass. Overall though, yeah, the novel is largely kinetic in structure. They say the sequel will have routes, so things may change but personally a mostly linear story doesn't bother me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't remember finding that part unreasonable, though I also don't remember exactly what the details are. This seems like a specific enough criticism that it could be useful if you tell the devs about it.

Thanks for saying something with enough detail to actually generate some discussion, by the way.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 06, 2016, 11:46:16 am »

I'll hold out on the foreshadowing part, as maybe my impressions are actually wrong so I may have jumped to conclusion a bit too soon.

Although there's a certain part where this does happen, and you have to behave intelligently based on realistic factors rather than on narrative tropes, which throws people off and I had a lot of bad ends before I figured out how to stop being a dumbass.

Precisely what I am after, I'll look forward to that. That's the part where games like Phoenix Wright shine, putting clue together and getting involved in the story, even if it's a bit silly at times. Or very silly.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 06, 2016, 12:31:07 pm »

I'll hold out on the foreshadowing part, as maybe my impressions are actually wrong so I may have jumped to conclusion a bit too soon.
There are multiple red herrings. I won't say more to avoid spoiling things.

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 06, 2016, 08:52:23 pm »

Has anyone played ACE Academy, or well, the 3 episodes that are out for it so far? I quite enjoyed myself surprisingly. I like the fact it's English voiced, and not just text. For once, the characters feel natural and not a forced trope of what's used in VN's/Animes. I don't know, but this might take my #1 spot instead of Clannad if it goes well. I just hope they can 'end' it nicely.
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 07, 2016, 04:38:15 am »

Has anyone played ACE Academy, or well, the 3 episodes that are out for it so far? I quite enjoyed myself surprisingly. I like the fact it's English voiced, and not just text. For once, the characters feel natural and not a forced trope of what's used in VN's/Animes. I don't know, but this might take my #1 spot instead of Clannad if it goes well. I just hope they can 'end' it nicely.

Just started with Episode 1 and got a good impression so far. I'm also curious on how it's gonna go.

On a unrelated note, is there a seperate term for VN's with a focus or at least big part of gameplay? I've been playing some of the Rance games, Aselia the Eternal, Seinarukana and Princess Waltz the past couple months. And while they definetely have the VN style story, theres a lot of actually very decent Gameplay to go around. Well, except in Princess Waltz. The Card game Bitz were actually kinda annoying in my opinion.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 07, 2016, 04:44:14 am »

PTW

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 10, 2016, 09:31:59 pm »

Playing Tokyo Babel and Root Double concurrently right now, a funny parallel to two years ago with Ayakashibito and I/O. I might have full thoughts at some point.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16