Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How would you like the updates to work?

In-Depth (Pretty much every monster, item, room, etc)
Highlights (New monsters, interesting items, rooms, etc)
Roleplay (everything from the dungeoneer's point-of-view)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Eyebrows, Diggles, and Cheese - Let's Play Dungeons of Dredmor!  (Read 27363 times)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Eyebrows, Diggles, and Cheese - Let's Play Dungeons of Dredmor!
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2012, 11:26:16 pm »

Or I could break the tie.  ;D

Smithing! For I have never regretted it. Except when I find a monster zoo early on. Then I regret it, for I am dead.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2012, 11:30:24 pm »

Or I could break the tie.  ;D

Smithing! For I have never regretted it. Except when I find a monster zoo early on. Then I regret it, for I am dead.
What, you trying to get poor Hopson killed?
I like it! Smithing it is!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2012, 12:29:19 am »

I vote for smithing, only if we pronounce it smything like the Viking Badass in this video.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2012, 01:15:49 am »

And so, Hopson takes the next level in Smithing, after a certain someone ruined the tie-breaker challenge :P

This room is packed full of interesting things. Before we start exploring however, it might be smart to deal with that named Zomby.

Easy enough. A vending machine selling craftables, a chest, an already-open Uber Chest (tm), some steak, a lever, and something new: A barbeque! These things have just one purpose that I know of: cooking steaks into Grilled Steaks, allowing them to stack together and restore more health. Sometimes they also contain food (this one contained brie, somehow).

Thanks to the extra Smithing skill and the aluminum sold in the vending machine, Hopson can craft both a Fine Aluminum Cuirass and a pair of Fine Winged Aluminum Boots. Remember, this game is not Dwarf Fortress; that Cuirass has triple the block chance of our current Iron Breastplate. The Winged Boots aren't quite as large a jump, but still more effective than the bronze greaves we currently have. Both items are forged and worn. I also take the opportunity to forge a Steel Axe with three times the Slashing damage of the old iron one. Smithing really comes in handy with a tanky character like this.

In the Uber Chest(tm). We're just having terrible luck with artifacts lately. Hopson puts it on, but it will likely be switched out at first opportunity.

These look like they will come in handy. Hopson pockets them.

Oh dear. These guys are bad news for Hopson. They have large amounts of physical resistance, which means that even his shiny new steel axe will have a hard time dealing damage. They can also hit like a truck. Rocket-punch time!

Continuing our explorations, we come across a mighty Anvil of Krong! We have all sorts of good, forge-worthy items now, but what we really need is more attack variety. With that in mind, I place the Steel Axe on the anvil!

PRAISE BE TO THE GREAT KRONG! Ruztog, the Nails of Heresies, now deals voltaic damage, has increased mana regen, and can even absorb the life force of our enemies!

Another annoying spellaster. Octos aren't quite as annoying as wraiths, but they deal more damage in melee and seem to be more common.

Another wonderful anvil! Dunno if we should use this one as well. What do you folks think; use or no? If so, what item shall we place?

We find Brax's store nearby. I sell off some useless-but-too-valuable-to-skol items, and browse the merchandise. Sadly, he isn't offering anything interesting.

Found and killed some Mummies inside this bar. This would be heaven if we actually, you know, used mana. Still, these mixed drinks are valuable and thus worth taking along.

ABOUT TIME! Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the shrine to the final friendly god in this game: The God of Lutefisk. By tithing lutefisk to that statue, you may earn the god's favor, typically in the form of an artifact. However, the Lutefisk God is a demanding one, and requires large amounts of tithing; for best results, you're supposed to tith 500 pieces of lutefisk at the same time. Needless to say, we don't have nearly enough at the moment.

Hopson finds a seond shop in his explorations. Some pretty nice stuff here, including a clockwork bolt-thrower (at a cool price of 62k zorkmids). There is also an artifat amulet that provides transmutative resistance, at a far more reasonable price. The biggest prize, however, is that humble belt there. Why is that?

This. The Belt of Champions. Hopson shall craft and wear it with pride.

Hell. Yeah. But suddenly--!

A menagerie of strange and horrible monsters that have not yet eaten today demand to face Hopson for the Champion's title!!!

TO BE CONTINUED

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2012, 02:05:51 am »

Oh, great. See what happens when we skimp on Demonology?

DOOOOM!
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2012, 03:57:58 am »

We got this, don't worry. He hasn't used many healing items up until now so he probably has a ton of backup food. And rocket punch appears to have wasted everything that's entered his line of sight so far so that's nice too. I'm optimistic.

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2012, 07:15:11 am »

Agreed, plus by training our smything we've transformed Hopson into a SUPER BADASS who can tank this whole room.

At this point we must be level 3 smything, I will continue to press onward until we reach level 5 (max level). Then I'll back Demonology with gusto.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2012, 10:30:44 am »

He is level 4 at smithing. The rocket punch ability gives an extra smithing level.

The problem with relying too much on the rocket punch is that it has a rather long (to deal with a monster zoo, at least) cooldown. You'll have to back into a 1-tile wide passage and kill them there. Good luck, you'll need it.

HINT: I think you have a bolt of mass destruction. USE IT.

I doubt he can tank the whole room without demonoly rank 3.

EDIT: Looks like I got it wrong. You have squid bolt, judging from the other pages. It's also good, so use it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 10:49:46 am by Deathsword »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2012, 11:40:49 am »

I always use ludicrous amounts of fire to deal with Monster Zoos. Unfortunately, the only fire you seem to have are some thrown items. Use 'em.

Make sure not to get backed into a corner. Lost a few good characters that way.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2012, 01:46:21 pm »

Run until you find a door you can close. Then close it.

Place your shiny new belt on one anvil, and the aluminum greaves on another.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2012, 02:20:56 pm »

Problem: When reloading the game after finding a Monster Zoo, the awesome music does not play. So listen to this while enjoying the carnage.

So here we are. The Stout Amphitheater. 28 monsters, a somewhat small zoo. Full of things that want to grind Hopson's bones for bread and possibly drugs.

Step One: Rocket-punch the Deth. It dies instantly, and a gap opens in the monster ranks. The rest move up, and a mummy launches some sort of poison gas cloud, which thankfully misses.

Step Two: Equip the Bolt of Squid.
Step Three: Unleash inky, tentacled doom at the nearest Mummy.

Hopson catches a little bit of the blast, but he's mostly unhurt. The monsters, on the other hand...

And with that, there are a mere 11 monsters remaining. And the bolt of squid is still active. That was the amount of carnage in a single turn of movement.
Two rounds later, just 2 monsters left alive. I got very lucky here however; Hopson got hit some more by the squid bolt, and was even put to sleep for a short time. If the bolt hadn't been so utterly devastating and some monsters got close enough, Hopson could have been in serious trouble.

The aftermath. Those darn wights were the only survivors, and Hopson quickly clears them up.

Done.

Nice shoes for a rogue, but we've got aluminum boots.

Well, that was fun. Tune in next time!

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2012, 02:23:49 pm »

That zoo looks surprisingly small. Did the expansion/mod reduce the size?

I remember in vanilla fighting 40-50 monsters per zoo.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2012, 02:26:25 pm »

That zoo looks surprisingly small. Did the expansion/mod reduce the size?

I remember in vanilla fighting 40-50 monsters per zoo.
I think it's just abnormally small. I have fought and defeated much larger zoos with these mods/expansions. I was actually a little disappointed; aside from those wights, Hopson didn't need to use any of his awesome fighting skills!

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2012, 02:29:16 pm »

That Zoo was absurdly tiny.

You hit the entire area with one bold of squid. That's ridiculous.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2012, 04:48:48 pm »

Fact: When I initially got the game, I immediately turned off the music for whatever reason, and never knew about that honestly really awesome monster zoo music.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8