Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How would you like the updates to work?

In-Depth (Pretty much every monster, item, room, etc)
Highlights (New monsters, interesting items, rooms, etc)
Roleplay (everything from the dungeoneer's point-of-view)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Eyebrows, Diggles, and Cheese - Let's Play Dungeons of Dredmor!  (Read 27347 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Eyebrows, Diggles, and Cheese - Let's Play Dungeons of Dredmor!
« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2012, 09:55:56 pm »

The new X-pack adds a mod(ified mod) called Interior Dredmorating, which adds tiny zoos. Also, I think there's a couple setups that allow for multiple zoos per floor. I've noticed a few other new rooms (the tiki bar, for one) added in as well, but I don't run ALL the mods. Just the official gaslamp ones so far.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2012, 12:56:53 pm »

Yeah I've had multiple sidequests per floor and I'm pretty sure I've had two monster zoos in one or two floors. The monster zoos might be a faulty memory, but I'm fairly sure. I've also noticed kitchens and some other theme rooms, which are weird but neat.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2012, 12:19:09 am »

And so, after a somewhat disappointing zoo, Hopson continues his adventures!

In a room just past the zoo, Hopson finds a strange object on the ground. He reaches for it...

Oh dear. Hopson is still somewhat low on health from the aftereffects of the squid bolt. This may be tricky.

Or it would have been, if they blobbies were capable of doing more than 1 damage per hit and if I weren't one-shotting them (both Berserker Fury AND FotF activated early in the battle). The prize, Nocordchi, is a fairly low-strength staff weapon, certainly not worth trading his axe for.

Well, this is interesting. Does slightly more damage than our artifact crossbow, and also increased crit chance and stealth ability. Can we put our dwarven prejudices aside and use this elvish work?

More good news! Hopson has leveled once more! Choose a new ability!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2012, 03:08:44 am »

That longbow's pretty solid for floor 2. I vote we put it to use before smithing completely tanks our sneakiness.

Also, Celestial Circle, because taking damage is for leetle girly-men.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2012, 05:32:41 am »

Backing up celestial circle. More demonology forever. Forever is this post also.

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2012, 07:49:52 am »

I'll back demonology this time.

I looked at the dredmor wiki, and it would appear that the benefits of having smything 5 are good, but somehow the best items require your skill level to be 6 or even 7. I'm not sure how that's possible, considering 5 is the maximum you can train.
Edit: Apparently you can get boosts from Clockwork Knight and items in the dungeon.

From what I can tell, there aren't many items of interest for Hopson that he can't make already. The remaining items are The Broader Axe and Axekeytar, both of which only require level 5. And The Hexaxe of the Magic Lords, which is SUPER BADASS and requires level 6.

I think that normal leveling in Clockwork Knight will get us level 5 skill, at which point we could opt to make the Broader Axe. And I feel like if we found the recipe then we could also work on getting a potion to boost our level high enough to make the Hexaxe.

All that is to say that I'm satisfied with our current smything skill. If we happen to find recipes for either the Axekeytar or Hexaxe, I think we should try for them. But otherwise I'm comfortable pursuing other skill trees.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 08:00:45 am by ivanthe8th »
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2012, 09:39:21 pm »

Welcome back! Hopson has chosen to learn how to inscribe Celestial Circles, a mana-intensive but highly useful ability.
He also equips the Elven Longbow. Good thing bows can shoot crossbow bolts just as well as actual crossbows.

Here's a possible upgrade for Hopson's cog hat. That's a lot of voltaic damage, and extra voltaic and aetherial resistance is never a bad thing. Hopson puts it on for now, but he'll keep the cog hat just in case.

This looks like a good time to test the Celestial Circle.

Jeez Louise. That's some major tankiness.

You Bay Watchers really know your stuff. I'm half-tempted to take on the next zoo just with this.

Found a second Lutefisk Cube here. Something...interesting is supposed to happen if you attempt to transmute a cube inside a second cube. I'm ashamed to say that I've never tried it, but then again in most of my games I never find more than one.

And just like that, Hopson has finished the second floor! He's doing good so far, but things are just gonna get tougher from here on. Tune in next time!

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2012, 10:55:25 pm »

Just gonna go ahead and put my vote in for next skill, so you can go longer than just till you level. Level up Clockwork next, get that rocket jump.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2012, 12:56:26 am »

That cybercone will come in handy for the electric heavy next floor, IIRC.

Also, you inspired me to try DoD again. I usually die on the 3-4th floor. Decided to try a warrior build this time instead of the usual Wizard.

[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2012, 01:41:34 am »

That cybercone will come in handy for the electric heavy next floor, IIRC.

Also, you inspired me to try DoD again. I usually die on the 3-4th floor. Decided to try a warrior build this time instead of the usual Wizard.

Looks like you're doing pretty damn awesome!

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2012, 04:18:31 am »

I love this game. Usually die with 35k in the bank because I stupidly never buy anything. I have no idea how I even make it to level two, considering I never upgrade my axe.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2012, 04:45:21 am »

I love this game. Usually die with 35k in the bank because I stupidly never buy anything. I have no idea how I even make it to level two, considering I never upgrade my axe.

You can sell stuff in the shop too to help with inventory management. Have you tried crafting better armor? What skills do you usually take together? How do you die the most?

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2012, 12:03:24 pm »

You can sell stuff in the shop too to help with inventory management.
I do that.
Have you tried crafting better armor?
Nope, I don't usually have smithing.
What skills do you usually take together?
Axes, Berserker Rage, Master of Arms, Viking Wizardry, Artful Dodger, Promethean Magic, Perception. I am terrible at this game.
How do you die the most?
Opening a chest of evil before equipping myself, Monster Zoos, or just random monsters.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2012, 12:50:20 pm »

Sirus, I'd like to point out that you don't need to have two lutefisk cubes to cause a paradox. You can put a cube into itself.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2012, 09:55:23 pm »

Just gonna go ahead and put my vote in for next skill, so you can go longer than just till you level. Level up Clockwork next, get that rocket jump.

I'll second this, but with the passive Tinkering boost in mind. We'll be able to turn metal scraps we find in the dungeon into ingots, then into useful items with our smything. Plus there are several basic traps and bolts we can make use of.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8