Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How would you like the updates to work?

In-Depth (Pretty much every monster, item, room, etc)
Highlights (New monsters, interesting items, rooms, etc)
Roleplay (everything from the dungeoneer's point-of-view)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Eyebrows, Diggles, and Cheese - Let's Play Dungeons of Dredmor!  (Read 27349 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Greetings! I'm taking a quick break from my other LP to play something a little different. How about a Rougelike with cartoonish graphics and a wonderful sense of humor?

What the heck is this, and who's the guy with boxes on his face?
Dungeons of Dredmor is a roguelike released by Gaslamp Games in 2011. It is considered by some to be "baby's first roguelike", thanks to it's somewhat lower difficulty than similar games as well as it's higher accessibility. That dashing fellow is one of the protagonists. There is also a female protagonist, with eyebrows every bit as impressive as his.

What is the gameplay like?
Simple yet complex. You start by picking seven skills from amongst a wide selection, rather than pre-built classes. You walk around a randomly generated, multilevel dungeon, picking up loot and slaying monsters for experience. As you progress, you learn new abilities and spells from your chosen skill sets and become more powerful. Along the way, you can take sidequests, drink from fountains, dodge or disarm traps, buy stuff from shopkeepers or vending machines, and more. At some point, you will probably die, and death is permanent by default (you can turn that off on a character-by-character basis, though all it does is allow you to load the most recent save). If you prevail, you will eventually face and defeat the mighty Dredmor and win.

You mentioned humor?
Humor is, of course, subjective. The game is literally dripping with geeky references, from NetHack to Dwarf Fortress to Star Wars to Elder Scrolls and all sorts of stuff in-between. Every stat, item, skill, and monster has a tooltip that frequently lampshades pop-culture or the bizarre improbability of pseudo-fantasy worlds like this one. There are also roughly a dozen unique kinds of cheese and a strange fascination with lutefisk. If you enjoy geeky, self-depreciating humor, you'll probably like this.

How will you be running this?
Two hard-and-fast-rules. One: Dwarvish Moderation (medium) difficulty. I'm not nearly good enough to play on Going Rogue, and only elves play on easy mode. Two: Perma-death enabled. If the current character dies, we start over.
This is probably going to be a screenshot LP, again for two reasons. First, as anyone who's played a roguelike knows, they involve lots of running around random dungeons with long stretches of nothing in between monster fights - hardly exciting footage. Second, recording software and my computer don't mix very well. Blame Intel. That's what I do.

How can I help?
Participation, dear sir or madam! For each new character, I'll need suggestions on what skills to take, a name, and a gender. I'd also take suggestions on what skills to increase when leveling up, but that's not required. Experience in this game, or roguelikes in general, is not required either! It'll be more fun that way, and doesn't everyone love !!FUN!!?

In the spoiler below is the list of skills. I have both expansion packs as well as some mods, and they will be organized by category. Remember, each character can only have seven skills!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 12:17:06 am by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eyebrows, Diggles, and Cheese - Let's Play Dungeons of Dredmor!(?)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 04:12:44 pm »

Current Status of Dungeoneer:
Hopson
Level 3
Axes Lvl1, Shields Lvl1, Berserker Fury Lvl1, Master of Arms Lvl1, Smithing Lvl2, Demonology Lvl1, Clockwork Knight Lvl2
Equipped Artifacts: Varval, the Small Worm (crossbow); Brunvoba, the Choleric Penguin (shield)

Graveyard:

Upcoming Dungeoneers
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 10:27:31 am by Sirus »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 05:23:15 pm »

We need a clockwork knight pyromancer that's built around rocket jumping and setting things on fire.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 07:14:00 pm »

Let's go with Axes, Shields, Man at arms, berserker, Clockwork knight, smithing, annnnddddddd demonology whynot.

Looking forward to see someone that can get past the third floor on this game. I am not good at roguelikes.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 07:16:05 pm »

Name and gender for the character?  :)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 08:20:16 pm »

Bah. No Steam overlay on this game, no hyper-easy screenshots  >:(

BRB, dling X-Fire.

EDIT: FFFFFFUUUUUUUUU--
FINE. I'll printscreen and upload every goddamn screenshot myself. Useless bastard programs.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 08:55:21 pm by Sirus »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 09:18:46 pm »

Check out irfanview. Been using it for my SRWJ LP, and it works pretty well. (As long as you don't forget to turn it on).

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 10:54:33 pm »

In ages long past, great heroes bound the dark lord Dredmor in the depths of the earth that his evil would trouble the land never more.
Alas, the foul lich Dredmor proved most devious and patient, for he has been loosening his magical bonds, slowly freeing himself to again spread his evil in the world of light.
He must be stopped...Again!

Once more  it is a time of adventure, of glory. It is the time for a Hero. Unfortunately this hero is You.
You have been summoned by the king to prove yourself, to save the land and it's people, to join the heroes of legend in victory over the
Dungeons of Dredmor

And with that, the adventures of Hopson the axe-wielding, armor-wearing, clockwork-powered, demon-hunting berserker begin!

First things first: taking inventory! Like most roguelikes, you are perfectly safe if you remain still, giving you all the time you need to plan and craft.

Thanks to his skills, Hopson started with a good set of equipment. A Cap With A Cog In It, an Iron Breastplate, a Wooden Shield, and a Crude Stone Axe. He also has a single point in both Piercing and Radiance resistance and does 4 Slashing +3 damage per hit.
His stats, however, are a mixed bag. He's got a rather impressive Block Chance of 25, but the rest are kinda low.

He also has a Junior Smithing Set and an Ingot Press thanks to his smithing skill, and a back-up set of leather armor. In his hotbar, he has some low-quality food and drink. In DoD, food restores health over time, while booze restores mana. Both also slowly regenerate on their own. Finally, he has a single active skill: Turn Demon, which does large amounts of damage to a single demon enemy and can also be used to knock things around.

Not a bad start, but we can't take on Lord Dredmor like this. Time to explore!

Near the entrance, we have a couple of vending machines. There are several kinds of machines, and each has a random assortment of goods, from cheap sewer brew to high-quality martinis. They can be helpful, but I usually ignore them.
We also see a couple of doors, to the west and to the south. Let's go west for now.

And here we see Hopson's first foe: a diggle! A flightless bird with a strange drill-like appendage on it's face. There are many varieties of diggle that we will face, but these are the basic ones. It looks like we also stumbled into a nest, as we can see a diggle egg! Those are low-level healing items on their own, but they can be crafted into far superior items with relative ease. Thus, you should pick them up every chance you get.

The diggle collapses in a pile of ketchup! Victory! It also drops some zorkmids, the currency here in the dungeons. The real prize, however, is the egg. Hopson sticks it in his bag for future cooking. Moving on.

Thanks to the armor and shield, Hopson blocks frequently, and even when he doesn't these diggles only do 1 damage anyway.

Here we encounter a new danger and a new foe. Traps like these are all over the dungeon, and can some can be quite dangerous. Any character can attempt to disarm a trap, but for a warrior build like Hopson even these simple IEDs can blow up in his face.
Behind those shelves you might see the eyestalks of a Blobby. Blobbies come in a variety of colors, many of which can deal elemental damage in addition to their normal attacks. Perhaps we can lure the blobby onto the trap for us.

Success! Hopson finishes it off and begins to loot.

These stairs lead to the next level of the dungeon. We don't want to go down there yet. The potion off to the side is a Potion of Dire Empowerment, which will add necronomic damage to our attacks for a short time.

The bookcase contains a secret recipe for our use. This one requires a smithing kit, which we have, but also two fire wands which we do not have. Thankfully, the game will remember all recipes we find.

Continuing our wanderings, we come across Brax's store. There is usually at least one of these per floor, and he sells just about anything. He will also buy your unwanted items. Looking around inside, he's got some items that would be useful, including pants and magic rings, but we can't afford anything just yet.

This thing next to me is a Satanic Displacement Glyph, otherwise known as a teleporter. Stepping on this would instantly transport me to another section of the dungeon, but I'll leave it alone for now. The chest just contained a Simple Wooden Shield, inferior to the shield we've got already.

Here's our first diggle variety, the sickly diggle. These deal toxic damage, which is not stopped by armor. Still, they are only dangerous in large numbers.

Oooo...I'll be holding on to this.

I wonder what's in here?

Wish we used staff weapons :P
These named items are called artifacts. They come with a variety of extra abilities that normal items don't have. Most of them are found randomly, earned by doing sidequests, or bought from the store. In certain locations, however, we can make our own.

These things are always nice to see. Smash it, and you get free XP for Heroic Vandalism!

Alright, Hopson is just one monster away from level 2. What new ability should he choose?

If you have any questions about the game in general or so far, be sure to ask! Otherwise, I'll see you next time!

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 12:00:01 am »

Hopson needs Rocket Punch. Because seriously who doesn't?

Also, for posterity I'd like to list out a new character for the pool.
Name: Pai Mei
Skills: Unarmed, QiGong, Kung Fu, Avenging Executioner, Perception, Assassination, Artful Dodger
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 12:09:03 am »

Hopson needs Rocket Punch. Because seriously who doesn't?

Also, for posterity I'd like to list out a new character for the pool.
Name: Pai Mei
Skills: Unarmed, QiGong, Kung Fu, Avenging Executioner, Perception, Assassination, Artful Dodger
-J-
I'll add a waiting list to the second post. Before I do so, what gender?

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 12:10:28 am »

Male, unless you feel otherwise.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 12:11:32 am »

I honestly don't care about gender, they both have exactly the same stats anyway :P

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Eyebrows, Diggles, and Cheese - Let's Play Dungeons of Dredmor!
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 03:12:58 am »

I will back up the vote of rocket punch.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eyebrows, Diggles, and Cheese - Let's Play Dungeons of Dredmor!
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 03:39:27 am »

I will back up the vote of rocket punch.

Sounds like the magic route... but I have no idea in a game like this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8