Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 27

Author Topic: Gnomoria: Is this the next DF-Like?  (Read 92290 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Gnomoria: Is this the next DF-Like?
« Reply #255 on: October 17, 2012, 03:51:24 pm »

Not sure if trolling or sarcasm...

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 18, 2012, 01:26:42 am »

Not sure if trolling or sarcasm...

Neither.
I am being perfectly serious.

Just a list of stuff that works exactly the same in Gnomoria and DF:

Stockpiles
Mining and digging
Hauling(you even have to clear mined areas like in DF)
Workshops
Military
Farming is a tiny bit different
Furniture
Dining room/Great hall
Personal rooms/dormitory

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 18, 2012, 02:22:11 am »

Just a list of stuff that works exactly the same in dwarf fortress and age of empires:

You have to harvest resources
you need to build structures.
farming works a tiny bit different
You need to build a military
the enemy sends soldiers to attack you
top down view
need to build places for peasants to live
barracks

This leads me to suspect the purpose of DF is to make age of empires without graphics, since it's a total clone.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 18, 2012, 02:56:40 am »

Just a list of stuff that works exactly the same in dwarf fortress and age of empires:

You have to harvest resources
you need to build structures.
farming works a tiny bit different
You need to build a military
the enemy sends soldiers to attack you
top down view
need to build places for peasants to live
barracks

This leads me to suspect the purpose of DF is to make age of empires without graphics, since it's a total clone.

I know you try to make a point but you horribly failed at making that point. Ank is correct when he says that the stuff he listed works the same in Gnomoria and DF and the feel is also quite the same. The stuff you compared with Age of Empires is completely different. ''Farming works a bit different'' - Farming in AoE is nothing more then a X p/s income of a resource called ''food''. They could've named it magic essence and it'd still be the same (who ''builds'' humans using food anyway :P) while in DF (and Gnomoria), food is something that's consumed.

I could tear all of your comparisons apart BurnedToast but I don't think there's a need for it as you yourself probably know it's complete bullshit. I don't blame Gnomoria for what they are trying, I think it's awesome what they're doing but zealously defending Gnomoria against someone says that Gnomoria might be trying to create a DF clone with graphics isn't right. The two games are quite the same but that's not a bad thing. I atleast will give it a try because I dislike struggling with the UI in DF but love the genre.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 18, 2012, 03:13:05 am »

Just a list of stuff that works exactly the same in Gnomoria and DF:

-snip-

The guy making it has admitted to taking inspiration from DF in the FAQ on the games website. Even if someone who hadn't played DF made a similar game I'd expect a lot of what you list to be similar. They are often the most logical way to handle things. Toady never played Dungeon Keeper but was surprised at how similar some things were (designating for digging mainly).

One difference is invention. When it comes to machinery your gnomes have to invent thing before you build them. It's been a while since I kept up with the latest news but I understand this side of the game will be expanded greatly.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 18, 2012, 05:05:56 am »

Let me correct myself when I said farms work the same:
They do, but the fact that you can't farm in the winter is a huge gameplay change... and a FUN one I think.
Making you stockpile food and hope it's enough for the winter is a great idea.
This leads to more great decisions when you are out of food, and might need to choose which gnomes get to eat.

I hope this game becomes more than "DF clone with graphics", but right now, that's what it is.
Mind you, I actually bought it.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 18, 2012, 11:54:42 am »

I'm usually against people calling other games DF clones, but this one deserves all the flak. It is using a Zynga style of development.

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 18, 2012, 03:03:22 pm »

I don't understand what the drama is all about. I wonder if people went crazy like this when people started drawing inspiration from Rogue? If they hadn't we wouldn't have the entire genre of Roguelikes. Does no one else want to see the DF-like genre bloom into a great mountain home and start slaughtering all the inferior elven genres into extinction?

Surprisingly, when someone wants to put their own spin on a game they love, they usually build up very similar mechanics (or else it would be nothing like the game they love) to have a stable base to get the ball rolling.

BUT WHAT ABOUT TOADY!? Give him a little more credit than this, DF will always be protected by its niche-bubble, extreme depth and ASCII still deter most people and draw in the right maniacs people, ahem, and the only thing spin offs will do is draw peoples attention to the source of the madness fun - Dwarf Fortress.

If you just don't like the game or what the Developers doing, just ignore it? I don't think its very existence is going to harm anyone.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 18, 2012, 03:30:00 pm »

BUT WHAT ABOUT TOADY!? Give him a little more credit than this, DF will always be protected by its niche-bubble, extreme depth and ASCII still deter most people and draw in the right maniacs people, ahem, and the only thing spin offs will do is draw peoples attention to the source of the madness fun - Dwarf Fortress.

If you just don't like the game or what the Developers doing, just ignore it? I don't think its very existence is going to harm anyone.
I think people get hung up on Intellectual Property in today's age and I believe that's where this whole argument comes to play.  Instead of looking at the program as a service that Toady is providing, they are looking at it like an idea that he's providing.  As a professional programmer, I see this day in and day out.  People think their ideas are their own property (when, in fact, I would argue that maybe 1% of 1% of all ideas are original or new) instead of taking an idea and expanding upon it or making it better.  I don't know how many times a great idea has been stomped into the ground because someone else thought of it first and people were afraid to expand upon it.  Instead of making the software we all use day in and day out better... we are afraid that someone else might have done it first and are scared of the lashback for going down that road.

I think if you are the type of person that thinks Toady is providing his own perspective on the genre (or in this case, a conglomerate of genres) then you don't see issue with Gnomoria and the like.  If you view "God game city builders" as property of Toady/ThreeToe then you will obviously attack anything that tries to put it's foot in that water.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 18, 2012, 04:28:22 pm »

Toady already spawned dozen of games inpired by DF, and none of them is so blatant a copy like gnomoria. Each has his own thing, but gnomoria is just DF (without the years of development DF has) with a graphical style pretty much ripped off from Stonesense.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 04:30:05 pm by thvaz »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 18, 2012, 04:29:08 pm »

So we should be forced to play sensible soccer for the rest of our life, because they got the idea of managing a squad across a championship?

I know fifa 2013 is hurting the sensibilty of the sensible soccer aficionados but the world goes on. A niche of the niche of dwarf fortress called for a better graphical management. The world (a slight part of it, I'd say) moved forward.

Aficionados are not forced to get on the graphical bandwagon, an I will remain a faithful player and supporter as well, but there is too much fuss about this.

Spoiler: true story (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 04:42:22 pm by LoSboccacc »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 18, 2012, 05:44:22 pm »

And how will you feel when the developer takes the money and runs with what he's suckered you out of already? Poor steam greenlight too, supporting endeavors like this will only ruin their future credibility. Moneygrabs are not how we should be expanding the genre, sorry. Same way PES is an awful junk soccer game; Gnomoria is a junk 'strategy'/management game.

If you can tell me with a straight face that most everything in Gnomoria isn't directly ripped from DF's take on the genre, you're blind. The rabid defence of this moneygrab on Toady's forum is what I find most ridiculous. This man is charging people for an unfinished and unplayable alpha that he's worked on for very little time, while Toady has worked off of donations for years. Seems a bit insulting to defend one person trying their damnedest to siphon money from someone else's ideas.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 18, 2012, 06:59:16 pm »

making money off other people's ideas is the capitalist way bros

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 19, 2012, 10:13:09 am »

making money off other people's ideas is the capitalist way bros
Apparently not anymore... since many people are trying to argue that ideas are patentable/ownable.

Oh hey, I thought of something... I should own that concept.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 19, 2012, 10:24:13 am »

"Crank" is a pejorative term used for a person who holds an unshakable belief that most of his or her contemporaries consider to be false.[1] A crank belief is so wildly at variance with those commonly held as to be ludicrous. Cranks characteristically dismiss all evidence or arguments which contradict their own unconventional beliefs, making rational debate a futile task; this is the essential defining characteristic of the crank: being impervious to facts, evidence, and rational inference.

This debate is futile.
Only a simple mind can be certain.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 27