Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 27

Author Topic: Gnomoria: Is this the next DF-Like?  (Read 92267 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Gnomoria: Is this the next DF-Like?
« Reply #240 on: October 07, 2012, 06:20:32 am »

I still feel bad for the people who've payed for this game in lieu of giving the money to Toady. I mean, it is broken, buggy, the UI makes zero sense and only serves to make everything awful to deal with. Then there's that fact that he's simply ripping off DF and charging people for a completely broken alpha.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 07, 2012, 06:25:40 am »

It's as much a DF ripoff as duke nukem was a doom ripoff.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 07, 2012, 06:29:49 am »

how dare you? everyone knows it's all a copy of wolfestain 3d, which is just a bad imitation of ultima 3d but with weapons

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 07, 2012, 07:18:33 am »

I still feel bad for the people who've payed for this game in lieu of giving the money to Toady. I mean, it is broken, buggy, the UI makes zero sense and only serves to make everything awful to deal with. Then there's that fact that he's simply ripping off DF and charging people for a completely broken alpha.

This is a silly statement that betrays how much time you have played(v. little) with the game. The game is in alpha but is far from broken. In fact, compared to Towns(a game I love) it's pretty great for this early on in development. You want to know what a broken buggy UI that makes no sense looks like? Check out Survivors of Ragnarok. You should be happy that Gnomoria is one of the games that is drumming up support for the DF sub-genre of games. I have seen a dozen or so people who have transitioned from Gnomoria to DF(albeit w/ tilesets). Get with the times, man.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #244 on: October 07, 2012, 11:25:44 am »

Cue in references to the apple-samsung lawsuit.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 07, 2012, 11:40:19 am »

Well, as hemmingjay said, a lot of people who have tried either Towns or Gnomoria and wish for a deeper exprience are transitioning to DF, whether because they finally took the guts to try it, or that they decided to give it another try when this time the whole concept is clearer for them which leave more time to battle the UI.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 07, 2012, 01:28:32 pm »

we stand on the shoulders of giants
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 07, 2012, 04:59:19 pm »

This is a silly statement that betrays how much time you have played(v. little) with the game. The game is in alpha but is far from broken. In fact, compared to Towns(a game I love) it's pretty great for this early on in development. You want to know what a broken buggy UI that makes no sense looks like? Check out Survivors of Ragnarok. You should be happy that Gnomoria is one of the games that is drumming up support for the DF sub-genre of games. I have seen a dozen or so people who have transitioned from Gnomoria to DF(albeit w/ tilesets). Get with the times, man.

I've played every release that he's made now, and they're all unplayable about the same time [30 minutes in] from Gnomes being stuck, not working, not drinking, pathing to places where they can't get out of while removing ramps. I could go on but I don't like to waste my time with hollow ripoffs of games that are actually inspired and not just a moneygrab.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #248 on: October 07, 2012, 06:55:58 pm »

I've played every release that he's made now, and they're all unplayable about the same time [30 minutes in] from Gnomes being stuck, not working, not drinking, pathing to places where they can't get out of while removing ramps. I could go on but I don't like to waste my time with hollow ripoffs of games that are actually inspired and not just a moneygrab.

Fail task assignment? Check. Getting stuck while digging? Check. Obtuse priorities for tasks? Check. Those bugs are all present in DF in some degree. You just want to find an excuse to hate.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Xanoxis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 08, 2012, 12:39:30 pm »

30 minutes and you're stuck? You make holes for purpose and trap them in? Because I cant see any other reason why they get stuck. I played like 5-6 hours and nobody died, nobody got stuck or something like that.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 09, 2012, 10:08:29 am »

I just got 10 farmers stuck on an unremoveable strawberry bush... I walled them in to prevent it from happening again.

Markus

• Bay Watcher
  • [Alignment:Lawful Bacon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 09, 2012, 10:16:44 pm »

Now that I remembered this topic is here, maybe I should clarify the title.

The title is meant as the next title in the DF-like genre, not as a DF copy or rip-off, but as the specific genre that is defined in Dwarf Fortress itself.

Let us remember that DF is it's own genre, a fantasy simulation. DF is not a rougelike, contrary to what some might say, though it has elements of rougelikes in its Adventure mode and a taste of these elements in Dwarf mode.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 10, 2012, 01:43:35 am »

I think that for it to be a df like, it should become quite heavier on the storitelling side.

Aurora is more df like than this, precisely for the emergence of stories and interesting, personal situations

Gnomoria works at an another level entirely, and is quite more like caesar iii than df

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 16, 2012, 04:16:28 pm »

Gnomoria has been greenlit for Steam. Congrats to the devs crew!
Only a simple mind can be certain.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 17, 2012, 02:31:25 am »

I think that for it to be a df like, it should become quite heavier on the storitelling side.

Aurora is more df like than this, precisely for the emergence of stories and interesting, personal situations

Gnomoria works at an another level entirely, and is quite more like caesar iii than df

I disagree, at this point in development Gnomeria has no features that DF doesn't also have.
It is at this time a total clone. The only thing they got going for it is graphics and a clumsy mouse interface.

This leads me to suspect that the point of Gnomoria is to make DF with graphics, since it's maybe 10-15 years until Toady(praised be his name) decides to make some proper graphics.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 27