Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: Community Mod  (Read 20323 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: Community Mod
« Reply #120 on: June 18, 2012, 11:34:29 pm »

Question to those experienced modders, does [SKILL_RATE:SKILL:0:NONE:NONE:NONE] make it so that caste can NOT use that skill, or does it cause them to simply never gain experience?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 18, 2012, 11:35:32 pm »

Question to those experienced modders, does [SKILL_RATE:SKILL:0:NONE:NONE:NONE] make it so that caste can NOT use that skill, or does it cause them to simply never gain experience?

Except for user intervention, both. With user intervention, only the latter. You'll never find that particular caste using that skill in generated circumstances, but the user can force them to.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 18, 2012, 11:47:25 pm »

Ah, so if I make a caste that has certain skills unusable at 0%, they can use the skill but worldgen will lead them to the skills they get bonuses to?

If they are player controlled, then I assume the player can over-ride that, force them to use the skill but not to gain anything from it? (ie, always at 0 exp Dabbling?)

That's alright, i wasn't planning on having them player controlled... but individually defining which skills can and can't be used is a chore indeed.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 19, 2012, 12:20:55 am »

Ah, so if I make a caste that has certain skills unusable at 0%, they can use the skill but worldgen will lead them to the skills they get bonuses to?

No, it's just that they tend to get more experience in that skill, so they become that job. It's very... natural.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 19, 2012, 12:48:21 am »

So if I have some skills with 200% exp rate (OP, but just so I can see that it works) and some with 0%, they will most often become the skills with 200% exp rate. That is, if a dwarf has 200% to masonry and 50% to stone crafting and 0% to wood crafting,

- The masonry skill is twice as likely to be taken due to the fact that the skill is learnt at twice the normal rate.
-The stone crafting skill is half as likely to be taken due to the fact that the skill is learnt at half the normal rate.
- The woodcrafting skill will not be taken as a job because 0% won't gain exp at all?

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2012, 02:37:40 am »

Yes, they are named after what they're best at, and if have no woodcrafting skill then they'll always either be better at something else, or be equally bad at everything and be a "Peasant", as far as I know.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 19, 2012, 04:41:34 pm »

Alrighty my turn is done. I've added 3 creatures. A cerberus megabeast that can breathe up to 3 gouts of fire at a time and is heavily muscled. The Firusk, a giant 6 tentacled mollusk-esque night creature that shoots fireballs (should attack forts because of its attack_trigger), it's mostly dangerous to undeveloped militaries and grassy places. And finally the gold fish, fish-like creatures made of never rotting cheese that bleed milk. They don't air drown and can be milked about once a month or butchered for a stack of cheese.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 20, 2012, 12:35:31 am »

We need to contact the next person :O
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 20, 2012, 09:56:27 am »

I did, they're working on it.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 20, 2012, 11:51:32 am »

This seems interesting.  Sign me up!
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 20, 2012, 09:31:19 pm »

We are not to modify dwarves at the present time. This may change.
I was thinking of making a completely different race.

Like the dwarven castes in Deon's Genesis mod?
There's so much one could do with that.
More or less, but mostly cosmetic/minor changes between races. Maybe criminals would have a dagger that they always have, and MAYBE gully dwarves would have a couple of minor powers, but that's it.

I think I should get to work once I have some time, in case I can't find time later.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 20, 2012, 09:36:09 pm »

Well, I'm drawing up ideas for a non-player civ that has castes with various affinities- smaller crafters who excel at learning to craft, are near useless at other skills, soldier castes with high strength and combat affinities, and etc.

I was thinking of having them all able to inject venom via a horn on their heads, with different effects per caste... the smaller castes having more defensive venom (numbness? mild paralysis = sluggishness) and the stronger castes having offensive venoms (mild necrosis, permanent fever or blisters maybe? Swelling?)

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 20, 2012, 10:53:24 pm »

Toss me on the turn pile, eh?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 21, 2012, 12:28:06 am »

I'm going to add megabeasts.

Nyancat for one. He will blaze by at speed 10 at a high homeotherm, leaving fire in his wake.

A Nyancat has come!
A flying poptart covered in sprinkles!
His adorable cat face is covered in gray fur!
Beware his deadly rainbows!

Don't worry. I have many ideas that are not meme-centric.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 21, 2012, 07:08:34 pm »

My changes will probably have something to do with one or more of these:
A) dragons
B) Stargate
C) Magic the Gathering
D) Something I come up with later...
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15