Trial by water!
- 2 (33.3%)
Bury it alive, Mebuy style!
- 0 (0%)
The poll was confusing.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 61

Author Topic: Murderfarmed, A Farming Village Succession Fort (Overseers Needed)  (Read 82365 times)

MadeOfStarDust

• Bay Watcher
  • Alone on the surface of an alien world
    • View Profile
Re: Murderfarmed, A Farming Village Succession Fort (34.11)
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2012, 01:04:33 am »

Journal of Stardust, Butcher turned Broker.
(the following were written on scraps of parchment, crudely bundled into a makeshift journal by rope-reed fibers.)

Well, I've arrived at Murderfarmed after walking for days with a few other lost dwarves. Well journal, it certainly is something. For starters, they have built entirely above ground. Heck, they've not even touched the stone under their feet. Instead, everyone lives in clay houses with wooden roofs, like those I've heard that are in human towns. It also seems they really are determined to make a farming town, they have farms, the foundations of a chicken coop, brewing, and fishing.

I decided to go here after I've heard someone has started a "farming town" of some sorts in the wilderness. I figured that a fort of sorts would need my butchering expertise. When I arrived here, I expected I'll be able to put my skills to use. Nope, the current overseer(someone named "Broseph") shoved me to the trade depot and tasked me to trade with the just-arrived dwarven caravan. I traded lots of stuff in exchange for a cart full of clay, which prompted a puzzled response from the half-drunk merchant. I just said to them that it is special "river clay" and sent them away. While this trading thing isn't that hard, I really wish that I'll be able to hear the squelching sound when I chop dead stuff with my cleaver again soon.

Which reminds me, when I passed by the tavern earlier, I heard muffled sounds coming from somewhere, like someone is scratching a wall. I wonder if it's that vampire migrant...
Also...
Why is there a flaming headless zombie version of you in our moat?

Dustylou2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard of Yendor hits! You die... DYWYPI?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2012, 02:01:43 am »

As a word of warning, if we somehow blitz through turns and get to me, I'll be busy pretty much all of this Friday and Saturday. Not likely to come up, but I'm putting this here just in case.

Also, question. Can we make multiple-story buildings?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2012, 03:17:20 am »

Also future warning:

I'm going to roleplay as an idiotic hunchbacked human who gets mistaken as a dwarf, so expect me to cause a lot of damage during my rule.

[It's okay to mess up a little as long as I don't kill the whole village, right?]
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2012, 07:00:32 am »

As a word of warning, if we somehow blitz through turns and get to me, I'll be busy pretty much all of this Friday and Saturday. Not likely to come up, but I'm putting this here just in case.

Also, question. Can we make multiple-story buildings?
Multiple stories are fine.

Also future warning:

I'm going to roleplay as an idiotic hunchbacked human who gets mistaken as a dwarf, so expect me to cause a lot of damage during my rule.

[It's okay to mess up a little as long as I don't kill the whole village, right?]

It's better to let the carnage come naturally but as long as the village keeps plugging along go for it.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2012, 11:39:52 am »

From the Journal of Broseph Stalin

Moonstone 10
I awoke with a bit of a fright and realized that we had nearly let the traders leave with nothing but a wheelbarrow full of clay so as far as the Mountainhomes and any prospective migrants are concerned the only products of my new dwarven empire are a wheelbarrow filled with mud! We'd be a laughing stock! I gave Stardust all of our rope reed and wool thread to barter with and he got us a new chicken some more bars of metal and a few more blocks as well as a nice bronze spear. They had a bull but without a cow that's not worth anything at all. Winter's going to be the real challenge snow's going to slow down labor and break morale not to mention each season increases the risk of goblins taking notice. Managed to get a good bit done since Timber, the tavern now has a proper wood floor and every constructed home is about to get one as well. I've tried to focus a bit more on minding my own land these days as well. I finally started making cheese and spinning thread, humble work but noble.

Moonstone 20

I've got the plans designated for Stardusts house, I'll put him in charge of the looms so we can finally get some cloth produced. Says he doesn't know anything about weaving but as I explained to him his role as loom master really only requires he keep the looms from falling apart and the weavers from spending all day drinking. Got a woodfurnace built out by Dusty's lumberyard so Tahudjt can start producing clay goods. Things are going very well, everyone's got a nice hardwood floor instead of clay and the rest of the winter can be spent focused more on luxuries than necessities. A nice dining table for each of the houses might raise spirits around here to last out the winter.

Moonstone Close
Stardust will have a roof over his head shortly. Kakapo women have been loitering around the worksite I had a dog stationed out there just in case they break the amicable relationship we've had with the wildlife so far. We aren't exactly there yet but my new dwarven Empire is off to a fair start. I've heard horror stories of marauding elephants and troops of monkeys and legions of the undead I think I just may have a nack for this Empire building business. I think I may spend the next two months building onto the Tavern.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2012, 03:33:56 pm »

Opal 10
Ordered the bridge to be dismantled and a large addition built onto the tavern to span the river. Now instead of walking across a bridge of questionable sturdiness you can just walk through the nice warm tavern and emerge on the other side. It's a bigger project so regretably Stardust will have to wait for his house to be finished. Still I think he should be able to appreciate the augmented tavern. I think I'll make a nice sitting area, maybe have some nice clay statues put in to commemorate our victory over the savage land.

Opal 20 The walls and floor of the tavern expansion are finished we're collecting clay and wood to finish the roof. I decided to leave a small hole in the floor to fish or collect water from. May be a good idea to put a well in once we have the necessary resources to build some mechanisms. I've ordered a bit more to be done about that vampire as well I'll build a little shed around him and put a heavy statue on top of his grave. It's a statue of Utost, Goddess of metals. It seems fitting that we wall of an abomination and a symbol of the old way at the same time.

Opal Close
Stardust has his house and the vampire has his headstone. We got the standard farm stuff done of course but I think I've done my last major project. After we finish with the roof of the tavern I'll take care of my farm and let Nerjin deal with this day to day business.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2012, 03:39:10 pm »

If my turn doesn't come before Sunday, I may have to be skipped. I am leaving for a week with no internet.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2012, 05:15:22 pm »

Spoiler: Read Year One (click to show/hide)
Obsidian 10
The roof is finished, the next twenty days will be celebration. I'll prepare some words to rally the troops as we conquer our first Murderfarmed winter and the success of our little outpost. The Empire is coming along nicely. Some more luxuries for the tavern and some shoring up of our ale supply and I'm ready to call this year a complete success. Paintbrush Turkey said we needed some cages, I tried to explain that the title of Sherrif was just a matter of ceremony and that we'd done a fine job of dealing with criminals by burying them alive but he just stared at me until I put the cage that came with the turkey in his home.

Obsidian 20
Damned thieves! Two Kobolds were spotted near the town. We chased them off but still now that they know we're here they'll be back. I told Tahudjt he has to be faster with that damned sword of his. He responded by making a statue of me surrounded by lizards. I appreciate my friends jest I found it so humorous I had the statue put in the center of my home. Still the dogs and a few workers kept them at bay. Had some statues put in the tavern hall and some new furniture put in my own home. I can't help but be rather pleased with myself my speech is almost ready.   

Obsidian Close

Another Kobold and Tahudjt's proving his ability to make statues of people surrounded by vermin. A comfortable end to my unilateral reign over Murderfarmed. We still need to increase brewing efficiency and it requires vigilance to keep up with butchering kittens to prevent them from forming a cloud around Winter. We need to get a cloth industry up and running but that's for Nerjin to worry about. It's almost sad to give up the reigns watching my empire grow has been glorious and I can't help but think it won't be quite as sweet to watch from the sidelines. Either way I've done what I set out to do. They said dwarves can't live above ground and I scoffed at them and I've forged something that neither bears, nor thieves, nor vampires can put asunder. I, Broseph Stalin, leader of the Persuasive Crafts, Founder of Murderfarmed, and the creator of the first above ground Dwarven Empire declare this to be the future seat of dwarven power. I've been having dreams of the future.

I see a town with cobblestone streets where wheelbarrows are pushed back and forth between great workshops and farms. Dwarves with hard eyes and strong backs walk the streets in mail looking maintaining the peace and warding off any that would to their little town harm. A great inn overflowing with ale where traders and laborers go to share tall tales over fresh sausage and a pint of the local brew. Busy kilns belch forth pillars of smoke and spit out bricks of clay that build cozy houses where men rest their weary heads. And on the horizon a cadre of men appear, their leader Zefon Kolsigon our king. He walks up to the steps of a great plantation house and beckons the owner to receive him. The man who steps out is an older, wiser, me. He throws himself at my mercy, begs to capitulate to the dwarven empire of the Persuasive Crafts. And to the thunderous applause of the gathering masses the Monumentous Smiths are no more and Murderfarmed is the Mountainhall.

Some men think I'm a fool, I hear their chortles as I pass. They doubt the ability of our band to build a true Dwarven farm town. I know that the coming years will bring savage hordes and fires and plagues and many many deaths but I know in my heart we will prevail. No matter how bad things get or how poorly this ends Murderfarmed will grow to glory. We may have abandoned the stone but we are still dwarves our inevitable destruction will not dampen our ultimate victory. Of course these thoughts are probably best left out of tomorrows speech the men can't think me mad.

-Thoricks Bed&Brew Tavern-
Broseph Stalin has amassed the populace in the tavern to discuss the future of Murderfarmed.
“Brothers!” He cries from the top of a table. “The stone has failed us, we've brought up less and less ore each year and now I don't think I'm too presumptuous in saying that the last bar of steel the Rounded Continent will ever see has been smelted. Soon our foes will see this weakness and it will be war in earnest with the goblins, the elves, and perhaps the humans as well.  The old way is ending and we're the men with the wisdom and foresight to choose revolution over destruction.

I'm sure some of you have had a hard time adjusting, about half of you don't have a home to call your own and on more than one occasion we've had to drink river water. Well it's been a hard year, and I imagine it won't be the last but in the future there will be a roof over all your heads this town will be a beacon of dwarven achievement and luxury. I can't predict all that will come and I can't tell any of you future mayors how to lead this town but remember well that the lands still mine and there are rules that must be followed to prevent our fall when the Mountainhomes crumble. To wit, there will be no reneging on our pledge to build a proper farming town- I'll hear of no tunneling or mining outside the confines of a basement. I won't see this town filled with mismanaged or abandoned buildings so no workshops or industries may be built without a reputable citizen of exceptional skill or rank to manage them. Other than that the control of Murderfarmed leaves my hands today and I place it in the care of our trusted Bookkeeper and Druid Nerjin! Drink friends, there's good cheese good meat and good wine aplenty. Three cheers for Nerjin! To another year of Dwarven achievement!”
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 05:17:32 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2012, 05:30:33 pm »

So... How do I retrieve this file in order to play the game? Just wondering.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2012, 05:38:55 pm »

So... How do I retrieve this file in order to play the game? Just wondering.
Extract this to your saves folder.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6447

InfinityWEAPON

• Bay Watcher
  • Not as cool as he thinks he is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2012, 06:07:00 pm »

Hey.... does anyone mind if I mod in some wheat? No farming village is complete without fields and fields of wheat.

I suppose its also worth mentioning that I'd just be making an above ground Cave Wheat. Just saying.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 06:08:55 pm by InfinityWEAPON »
The bacon is currently molten, this is a problem.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2012, 06:15:37 pm »

Hey.... does anyone mind if I mod in some wheat? No farming village is complete without fields and fields of wheat.

I suppose its also worth mentioning that I'd just be making an above ground Cave Wheat. Just saying.
Why make decisions when we can hold unnecessary polls?

InfinityWEAPON

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2012, 06:29:12 pm »

Why make decisions when we can hold unnecessary polls?
This.... this sentence is the definition of DF...
I think I just found myself a sig.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2012, 06:54:25 pm »

Nerjin’s Journal [A finely crafted journal with a picture of a Llama stomping on a misquito]

1st of Granite 337

It’s already started. Paintbrush came to me declaring that he absolutely NEEDS an office and dining room in order to do his job properly. I for one don’t see how it’s all that important to set up a Sheriff’s office right now. I mean we’re a peaceful farming community right? Never-the-less I promise him that before our next winter is through he’ll have at least an office. Sure he’s my friend but I really can’t just mete out all of this at once can I?

Another thing I do is tell Thorick that he’s basically worthless if he’s hauling a lot. He’s an expert woodcutter after all and we need all the wood we can get. It may harm our hauling but I think we’ll be fine.

It kills my very soul to write this but I’ve decide to set up a small hut for our residential vampire. While the others seemed less than thrilled at the prospect I assured them that it would be safe. I’d even build this on top of my own house. I know that they still think I’m crazy but I just can’t live with myself knowing we’ve trapped that poor soul down there. He has been cursed enough as it is. I shall at least allow him a small token of the sky. Of course he will be entirely walled off. If the others dislike it? Well I’ll let them deal with the poor soul after they’ve killed me. Although what if the birds go to bother him? Hm… Maybe a roof over his head will be nice. Ah well this is for later in the year.

For now I start with re-organizing things a bit more to my liking. We have so many people hoarding food around here that people are grabbing seeds as well. I convinced the good people that seeds and food should not be stored together. This way our wonderful farmers won’t have to walk to far with their seeds.

13th of Granite, 337

Well… That was my bad. I had set to construction the new containment cell for our little guest. Well the problem was that I forgot that we needed a roof to it to avoid evil Giant Misquitos from harming him. So what I did was tell Sayacks to get remove the old case and planned to create a new one. Unfortunately this may have led to an accident. More specifically it may have caused him to break his shoulder and his upper arm. I’m gonna catch a lot of flack for that. I’ve made the upper area of the tavern a temporary hospital so our friend can recover. I just hope he doesn’t need too much to stay safe.

In the mean-time I plan to use my vast knowledge of anatomy to help our dear friend to the best of my ability.

17th of Granite, 337

It’s… worse than I’d feared. He request immobilization. Which is impossible without a mechanism or two. Which would require stone which we cannot mine. Secondly he has a compound fracture. His arm needs set and he has broken tissue. I’ll set about to getting a splint made as soon as possible. We have plenty of wood so we should be fine… Hopefully… if he dies it will be on my hands. Dear water PLEASE unfreeze soon!

20th of Granite, 337

Well I found some water to clean our friend but no soap… I’ll set someone to make soap because we need every hand we can get! In other news the vampire containment cell is nearly done. Also I have set 5 new houses built. I’m thinking I’ll set them across the river from me. They ones in question don’t seem to agree with my decisions so far. I wish I could say I blamed them.

30th of Granite, 337

Well to put this month into review I’ve nearly killed someone and have made it easier on our farmers. I am nearly done with our friends new container. All that is left is to drag him into it. For future houses I think  another story on top of my house would do well. My plan for next month is hopefully to figure out how to make some soap. Sure it’s not very farmy but I’d rather get kicked out of the village and have
Sayacks alive than to live here for the rest of my life knowing what I had done.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

InfinityWEAPON

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2012, 07:19:10 pm »

I got wheat working for me, so we have the option to put it in as soon as the votes are tallied. Also, I think the pole is locked >.>
And could you change my profession from 'Archer' to 'Marksdwarf'? I always get that thing mixed up. -.-
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 61