Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Rollercoaster Tycoon  (Read 15828 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rollercoaster Tycoon
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2012, 07:55:42 am »

Apperature Science? :o

Yes, Aperature Science.
You know.. From Portal and portal 2.

He was making a joke at your expense, as you spelt it Aperature in your original post, instead of Aperture.
Also, yay rollercoasters! This thread has reignited childhood memories of trying to launch two rollercoaster and make them collide in mid air. Can't remeber if it worked...

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2012, 08:11:55 am »

Apperature Science? :o

Yes, Aperature Science.
You know.. From Portal and portal 2.

He was making a joke at your expense, as you spelt it Aperature in your original post, instead of Aperture.

Why I keep making these typing misstakes, I have  no idea.. :(

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2012, 08:16:46 am »

Can you launch coasters in RC2?

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2012, 08:51:28 am »

Can you launch coasters in RC2?

Certain coaster types yes. Most advanced metal coasters should be able to run with an unfinished track (to allow for the boomarang type design many modern coasters have).

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2012, 12:33:47 pm »

I played the original so much. Of course then I found out that you could put guests into limbo by picking them up then I think closing their window.They slowly go meh mood wise but if you don't mind a little micro you can easily just watch guests as the try to enter and raise the price to exactly what they had then trap them forever and ever with no chance of dieing.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2012, 01:06:29 pm »

I played the original so much. Of course then I found out that you could put guests into limbo by picking them up then I think closing their window.They slowly go meh mood wise but if you don't mind a little micro you can easily just watch guests as the try to enter and raise the price to exactly what they had then trap them forever and ever with no chance of dieing.

Honestly... I know I am ENTIRELY biased when I say this

But I do indeed love the original best. Just something about the charm that none of the other games could replicate in my eyes.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2012, 01:22:27 pm »

But I do indeed love the original best. Just something about the charm that none of the other games could replicate in my eyes.

Something about those first few scenarios just brings a tear of joy to my eyes.
Also often called Boowells.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2012, 06:50:51 pm »

Something about those first few scenarios just brings a tear of joy to my eyes.

Bumbly beach, diamond heights... :p
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2012, 08:37:57 am »

I've played 2 and it seems for all intents and purposes to be exactly the same, with extra stuff.
BUT, theres 3 very small minute details that shouldn't matter at all, but which seem to nag away at me until i go back and play the original.
1) All parks are unlocked from the start. This should be a good thing, but i like to feel like i'm being rewarded for playing each level, and theres a sense of progression when you unlock a new level.
2) Parks are either charge for entry, or charge for each ride. In the original i liked to make entry free to start and run most rides at break even untill my big crowd drawing coasters were installed, then i could jack up entry prices and slowly reduce ride prices on everything except for my brand new ++ shiny coaster ++
3) No speed boosters on roller coasters. WTF? i mean seriously how am i supposed to kill people? :'( The best i couild achieve was about 97kph on a coaster with a stupidly large launch hill, and it took AAAAAAges to build. Sure it was fun, but it would be a bitch to make a nice line of syncronized death jumpers™ like i can remember doing long ago.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2012, 10:42:27 am »

I've played 2 and it seems for all intents and purposes to be exactly the same, with extra stuff.
BUT, theres 3 very small minute details that shouldn't matter at all, but which seem to nag away at me until i go back and play the original.
1) All parks are unlocked from the start. This should be a good thing, but i like to feel like i'm being rewarded for playing each level, and theres a sense of progression when you unlock a new level.
2) Parks are either charge for entry, or charge for each ride. In the original i liked to make entry free to start and run most rides at break even untill my big crowd drawing coasters were installed, then i could jack up entry prices and slowly reduce ride prices on everything except for my brand new ++ shiny coaster ++
3) No speed boosters on roller coasters. WTF? i mean seriously how am i supposed to kill people? :'( The best i couild achieve was about 97kph on a coaster with a stupidly large launch hill, and it took AAAAAAges to build. Sure it was fun, but it would be a bitch to make a nice line of syncronized death jumpers™ like i can remember doing long ago.

1) I get where you're coming from, and I think I agree.

2) I honestly don't mind the charge for entry/charge for rides and I like the idea of "money is no object" scenarios. Although, I never manipulated the prices like you seem to, though. I did prefer charging ride prices over park entry, however. Actually, I would manipulate the prices in the exact opposite way. Charge like $30-50 entry fee and make the rides free until I have like 3-4 coasters with High excitement, then remove the entry fee and charge $4 per ride on the coasters.

3) That could've possibly been why they removed them. :P People were only using the boosters to create death coasters. I remember that there wasn't really a necessity for the boosters outside of maybe the powered launch coasters. Now that I think back to it... You COULD technically keep a coaster going at a constant 30-35 mph by abusing boosters and brakes, but I wouldn't really bother with it.

My one main complaint with RCT2 is that it's just way too complicated right from the start. Like you mentioned, you can choose any scenario you want right from the start... so which one do you choose? At the beginning of each scenario, you have like 10 roller coaster designs to choose from, and it's difficult because you have to know how to build each one so that it gets a good rating. The scenery functions are much much better, too, but again, extremely complex.

It's like RCT2 was designed for the people who avidly played and completed RCT1. I haven't yet completed RCT1, but so far, I prefer it. To be fair, I don't usually play management sims, though.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2012, 12:03:16 pm »

RCT2 felt a little too "We made things easier for you (new players)" for me. As someone who has completed RCT1 before and half the Corkscrew Follies expansion,  it seemed like they screwed around with some models that were perfectly fine. What's so bad about charging to get in and to pay to go on rides? It's more carnival style; at least, more like the fair in my county (10-20 to get in, and then ticket admissions or another 20 for a wristband to get on rides for free for as long as you stick around (A missing feature in all RCT games; for those of us that like running carnivals/county fairs, rather than theme parks). I do like some of the other adjustments made, like mentioned, the scenery mechanics and a few other theme setups are much more manageable to deploy.

I wonder if anyone has modded a few fixes to RCT2 that restores some old functionality RCT1 had, like the front gate admission stuff mentioned above, as well as the launchers for rollercoasters. I would figure it would be like an option switch, or a minor flip of code, since RCT2 works off the same model as the original 1, the code architecture shouldn't be too different where such code would be concerned.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2012, 01:58:38 pm »

I remember that there wasn't really a necessity for the boosters outside of maybe the powered launch coasters.

On the contrary. Boosters could also be used for ULTRA compact coasters.

If they took them out for any reason it was probably because they were an easy way to make SUPER compact, yet entertaining, coasters.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 29, 2012, 01:02:27 am »

well RCT2 did have a few coasters that could boost straight from the start, but i liked making coasters that were boosted constantly uphill and usually ended going 200kph, sometimes the brakes broke down and they exploded at the station however.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 29, 2012, 01:26:38 am »

I didn't like using boosters. Part of the fun of designing a coaster is basing it off the momentum you're given at the start, that's why the first drop in the coaster is always the most important one, it determines how much can happen throughout the rest of the ride.

Boosting is pretty much cheating that... then again you could also just have more lift hills, but that's no fun =p

I remember playing RCT2 for the first time in a long time a few month back and I made some really nice wooden coaster... I also made the highest excitement coaster I've ever made (I think it was a flying coaster, and it was above 7 or 8 or something) which is great considering I haven't really played much.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2012, 01:58:57 am »

I didn't like using boosters. Part of the fun of designing a coaster is basing it off the momentum you're given at the start, that's why the first drop in the coaster is always the most important one, it determines how much can happen throughout the rest of the ride.

Boosting is pretty much cheating that... then again you could also just have more lift hills, but that's no fun =p

I remember playing RCT2 for the first time in a long time a few month back and I made some really nice wooden coaster... I also made the highest excitement coaster I've ever made (I think it was a flying coaster, and it was above 7 or 8 or something) which is great considering I haven't really played much.

For ease of excitement, just add dueling double-loop powered launch coasters. Seriously, these things are bullshit. Who needs boosters or lift hills when you can make a 30 second High excitement money-making machine? When I was a child, I originally stopped at Dinky Park because the teeny tiny park limits pissed me off too much. I discovered recently that the solution to this was to buy a bit of land and build powered launch coasters. I have powered launch coaster number one and then powered launch coasters but synchronized and then powered launch coaster but with landscaping and tunnels.

In short, fuck small parks. I also discovered that boosters do not work with powered launch coasters at all.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9