Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Rollercoaster Tycoon  (Read 15832 times)

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
Re: Rollercoaster Tycoon
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2012, 09:43:18 pm »

I kept becoming disappointed by the fact that the poor little guests wouldn't get on a coaster that gave 5+ vertical G's. I always wanted to learn that a Guest had died on a coaster.

After learning that you could drown them... I was so exited, now however...
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2012, 09:45:57 pm »

It always amused me that tired guests will drown slower.

Also, build a park mostly over water, put 'no entry' on the path out, delete all pathways.

Hell, put 'no entry' sign at your park entrance so nobody can leave.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2012, 09:50:10 pm »

It always amused me that tired guests will drown slower.

Also, build a park mostly over water, put 'no entry' on the path out, delete all pathways.

Hell, put 'no entry' sign at your park entrance so nobody can leave.

I cannot remember.. do guests actually drown in roller coaster tycoon 2 and 3?

I remember zoo tycoon where eaten guests are secretly teleported out of the park.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2012, 09:53:45 pm »

Transit seems to be the ultimate jail performance.  Just set up any given method of transit, or ride, or anything really.  Set the exit to be on the grass, with no pathway and fences to keep from from finding the main path.  They'll gladly ride your Prison Coaster Deluxe into the 1x1 pit and stay there.

I'm wondering if you can't use that to milk guests infinitely.  If you put an ATM, burger joint, drink shop, restroom, and first aid into a tiny pit, will they just walk around buying things with no way out?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2012, 09:54:44 pm »

Transit seems to be the ultimate jail performance.  Just set up any given method of transit, or ride, or anything really.  Set the exit to be on the grass, with no pathway and fences to keep from from finding the main path.  They'll gladly ride your Prison Coaster Deluxe into the 1x1 pit and stay there.

I'm wondering if you can't use that to milk guests infinitely.  If you put an ATM, burger joint, drink shop, restroom, and first aid into a tiny pit, will they just walk around buying things with no way out?

I believe if they become bored or lost they just refuse to stop buying.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2012, 09:58:10 pm »

This smells very dwarfy very fast...  How do you keep them happy enough to stay and spend, while not letting them leave?

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2012, 10:08:13 pm »

This smells very dwarfy very fast...  How do you keep them happy enough to stay and spend, while not letting them leave?

I think I actually heard of a way to make them stay and spend. Put them in an enclosed area with a drink stand with drinks costing $.10 or so and then put in a bathroom costing like $2 or $20 or something. Try that. Not sure if it works, but damned if it isn't cruel.

EDIT: Also, lost or stuck guests drain park rating rapidly. I wouldn't recommend messing around with guests until after the scenario ends or so.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 10:10:29 pm by Knirisk »
Also often called Boowells.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2012, 10:10:07 pm »

Maybe put a ride or 2 in there? But those cost money to run...

Guests can drown in 1 and 2, but I'm not sure about vanilla 3. At least with the water park expansion for 3 guests simply swim in water.

Hhrrrggg, so much games to play, so many time I don't have.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2012, 11:11:38 pm »

You simply have to find the cheapest ride and try and make it run at break-even.  Make your money on snacks and bathrooms.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2012, 12:27:35 am »

If guests begin to turn hostile, just delete the 1x1 footpath they're trapped in that's also hovering over a 1x1x1 tile of water. Cue message spam of "Guest #xxxx has drowned", unless you open the messages window, then the annoying chimes should silence.

Tired of your park's entire population and want new blood? Do this.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2012, 01:13:28 am »

I also noticed when I set an elevator as a test, that guests would ride to the top, but I hadn't built any other platforms, so they slowly fell to the ground like nothing was the matter at all.  I imagine this could be combined with water and/or forcefeeding them into a ride.

If a ride's exit is directly against a queue line, will they be forced to pay and take the next ride?

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2012, 02:03:33 am »

I think I actually heard of a way to make them stay and spend. Put them in an enclosed area with a drink stand with drinks costing $.10 or so and then put in a bathroom costing like $2 or $20 or something. Try that. Not sure if it works, but damned if it isn't cruel.

Just tried this tonight. So far, it hasn't worked, although they went for the free stuff, sure enough. Damned if it wasn't funny watching them clutch their genitalia desperately and wander around in my little cage, though.

On a side note, I think I finally figured out the trick to Wooden Roller Coasters. I swear, I was absolutely terrible with them, and even now, I'm still going to avoid them anyway. See, the Wooden Roller Coasters need to be long rides, but my roller coasters are usually less than a minute in length to keep the queue line moving and also to save expense and space. Because it needs to be such a long ride, I don't really consider it very worth it because of its cost and its necessity of space. Why waste an extra three to five grand when you could make a less expensive coaster which makes about the same amount of money, is also smaller, and by extension, can be saved as a design and reused?

I mean, I suppose creativity and variation comes into play somewhat. Otherwise, I'd just make a lot of Shuttle Loop knockoffs. They're compact, popular, and somewhat cheap.
Also often called Boowells.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2012, 02:19:58 am »

Anyone made a Dwarf Fortress themed park yet?
Or an Apperature Science/Black Mesa themed one?

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2012, 06:41:31 am »

Apperature Science? :o

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2012, 06:47:40 am »