Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Rollercoaster Tycoon  (Read 15815 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rollercoaster Tycoon
« on: June 04, 2012, 01:53:14 am »

This shall henceforth be the Rollercoaster Tycoon thread! Unless search had failed me, this is the first one, which is rather odd to me.

Regardless, I was looking to get one of the Rollercoaster Tycoon games, but I cant decide on which to get. I've tried all three out, but I can hardly remember which is best. Which do you guys suggest I get? Graphics are not a concern to me; RC1/2's graphic style was charming to me. I'm hearing mixed reviews of RC3; either it should not even be called a RC game or it is the "true" sequel to RC1.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: Rollercoaster Tycoon
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 02:10:36 am »

Personally, I've always loved 1 the best.  2 seemed like too much of a Mission Pack Sequel and 3, while it did have some good points, failed to capture the feel of the original.  But why don't you try them all out again and let us know what you conclude?

By the way: if you're feeling sadistic and you're willing to put up with an annoying amount of alerts, building the exit of a popular ride (say Go-Karts) over water will lead to your guests exiting the ride, pausing for one Wile E. Coyote moment, and dropping straight to their doom.  Fun for the whole family!

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 02:24:04 am »

I think I'd have to agree with your feelings on 1 and 2. I wasn't able to get too deeply into 3 but I spent lots of hours in RCT 1.

That being said... for what ever reason... RCT 3 had ragdoll physics.

Best to just watch for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQrC_C6SexI

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 03:04:01 am »

3 is mindnumbingly overloaded with features, and is 3D.

1 is still the best game ever, in my heart. If it's because of Nostalgia Filter, I dunno.

Haven't played 2.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 04:01:08 am »

I don't remember it clearly, but I think I played a lot of RCT2, and its expansions. I can't remember if I played RCT1, so RCT2's still my favourite RCT game. I'll have to test RCT3 to see if I can enjoy it as much as I enjoy RCT2.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 10:08:11 am by Meta »
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 05:15:34 am »

I love RCT, I've played all of them by their releases, 1 was fucking magical at the age I played it. I guess I could agree that 2 didn't have that same charm, but 2 generally had everything that 1 did, and more, so in other ways it was pretty much better. I would say the best. 3 has a lot of nice changes, but the family casualification kinda sucks, such as people don't die on rides anymore and stuff like that.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 05:52:55 am »

I remember making a sort of pathing for the guests where if they entered a ride the exit would only lead to other rides and not the park exit. Ad infinitum. Sadly the game didn't support it and gave me a lot of guest can't find path to exit complaints.

Also making underground coasters was fun!

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 06:39:00 am »

I'm trying out RC1 first, might branch out into RC2 afterwords. I have so many memories of convoluted underground walkways... hehehe.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 07:06:14 am »

I have the most fond memories of one, and never realy got in to two. So basically what everyone else was saying. To take a different route with this post, I'll say that I quite enjoyed 3. There are a lot of features to wrap your head around, but the coaster-building is still easy and great, and the coaster cam is a feature I wanted since I first played RC1.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 07:08:49 am »

The only thing i never liked about RCT was how some Coasters are just outright better than others.
Like suspended Coasters ALWAYS getting insane intensity and nausea, Stand-Ups always being high in intensity... and on the opposite side it's nearly impossible to get a hypertwister into high intensity with reasonable track design.

O. And entrance fee parks (with no tickets for rides). Never got the hang of those.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 07:16:12 am by Lord Snow »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 07:39:52 am »

I recently started playing 2 again and I find the 'ohh that coaster is too intense let's never go in it' thing annoying. I have no idea why I played this so much as a kid :P.

I think I'll try RCT3 now, as I recall that actually had a proper sandbox mode in which I hope people will actually like my coasters.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 07:48:22 am »

I loved the first, it was all serious and grown up, never liked the cartoonesque turn of the sequels (admittedly, the first one had graphics so small you can make out what you want of them)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 08:31:09 am »

3rd game is also quite hard to world-sculpt, but being 3D, it is visually more pleasant than 1 or 2 (if you were indifferent to grids, which I really liked), and has some complex building tools.

However, I like RCT1's simplicity in game mechanics, since it was so easy to build underground tunnels in that game compared to 3 (and even then, it needed an expansion pack to allow underground building).

Also, I don't quite like 3's Water placement mechanics, and in its expansion, it was really hard to place a waterfall.

Otherwise, most track construction is simple, and it's quite fun going into CoasterCam and watching your go-kart of choice stroll around a well-designed metropolis-themed track.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 09:47:12 am »

RCT3 has the coaster cam. I once got sick from just watching. Great fun.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 12:57:04 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDH6BjV1Sk&feature=related

Also personally i never managed to really get into playing RCT. I tried but all my creations were considered either boring or sickening.
But i sure do love seeing what chantards come up with when playing it.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9