Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: DnD Eberron, Using Maptool  (Read 31053 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DnD campain! woo.
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2012, 10:46:13 pm »

How can I post a character without knowing the setting?

It's been said before. Eberron. C:

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2012, 11:06:46 pm »

How open are you to things like artificer shenanigans? Things like a jet-pack based off decanters of endless water, or a non-standard homunculus (specifically, an animated handy haversack with 'arms' that preform utility functions such as stowing or withdrawing items)? I have been wanting to try out this character idea for a while, but it might not fit into the campaign.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2012, 11:07:26 pm »

Reserving a spot now, but I can't post a sheet yet due to it being late and me being tired.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2012, 11:11:49 pm »

How open are you to things like artificer shenanigans? Things like a jet-pack based off decanters of endless water, or a non-standard homunculus (specifically, an animated handy haversack with 'arms' that preform utility functions such as stowing or withdrawing items)? I have been wanting to try out this character idea for a while, but it might not fit into the campaign.

You kidding me? I love having creative players like this! I wish I knew more people like this!

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2012, 01:15:27 am »

How do 32 or 25 point buy systems work? (I rolled stats in my previous games.) The numbers seem rather high if your values are starting at 10 (+/-racials), but are definitely too low if you are starting from zero or three.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2012, 01:17:24 am »

You kidding me? I love having creative players like this! I wish I knew more people like this!

I doubt that is what he is going for, but keep an eye open for someone wanting to try an omnificier.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 04:20:17 am by Azthor »

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2012, 01:31:54 am »

How do 32 or 25 point buy systems work? (I rolled stats in my previous games.) The numbers seem rather high if your values are starting at 10 (+/-racials), but are definitely too low if you are starting from zero or three.

i think you start at 8 [citation needed]

or if you can just roll if you want

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2012, 04:09:17 am »

A 32 point buy does not involve rolls. Humans, the base player race, start with 8 in every stat, which is then adopted as an standard by every race. Racial modifiers are applied after the buy, as they do not affect the cost of increasing a given ability score.

8~13 -> 1 point
14~15 -> 2 points
16~17 -> 3 points
18 -> 4 points

As a rule of thumb, ignoring other modifiers, the cost of raising an ability score by a point is the same as its current ability bonus, the minimum cost being 1. Having
that in mind, note that an ability score of 8 has a derived bonus of -1, whereas a 18 has a +4.

The most commonly used roll based allocation system, on the other hand, involves rolling 4d6 for every stat; the sum of the three highest results in every roll is your score in that given ability. Alternatively, the player may be allowed distribute the results among his ability scores at his whim. As before, racial modifiers apply independently of the rolls.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 06:35:14 am by Azthor »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2012, 05:00:02 am »

Well, if you are limiting only to the core and eberron books, then I think I'll have to reserve a spot.

What time zone are we playing in exactly?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2012, 08:32:47 am »

I'll call a spot too, if there's one left...

Never played Eberron either, should be interesting.

Edit: Thinking of making a companion-less Kenku Ranger. :P
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 09:37:15 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Phones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2012, 11:25:37 am »

I'd like a spot also if one is available. Just to be clear

32 Point Buy
3.5E DnD
Eberron.
Core Players book only

Am I correct?

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2012, 12:35:00 pm »

I doubt that is what he is going for, but keep an eye open for someone wanting to try an omnificier.
I do have a few elaborate long term plans, but I will try not to unbalance the game with them relative to other players. I am totally ok with it if the DM says no to something that is too powerful.

How do crafting skills work with relation to crafting magic items? I guess weapons or armor would be craft(weapon) or craft(armor), but would there be a craft(miscellaneous) for things like a horn of fog or a decanter of endless water? Or is enchanting a single skill that functions separately from crafting the item?

Also, are we rolling physical dice for our max health or using the average (or something else)?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2012, 02:22:08 pm »

@EveryZig: Check it

Decanter of Endless Water: If the stopper is removed from this ordinary-looking flask and a command word spoken, an amount of fresh or salt water pours out. Separate command words determine the type as well as the volume and velocity.
Moderate transmutation; CL 9th; Craft Wondrous Item, control water; Price 9,000 gp;Weight 2 lb

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Craft_Wondrous_Item <---is used for most magic-y equipment.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2012, 02:27:15 pm »

Craft Wondrous Item
As far as I know that is an item crafting feat, though I guess it might also refer to the skill used when actually crafting it.

[edit:] Oh, wait, I see what I missed. So normally a skill check is not needed for enchanting an item, but artificers use a Use Magic Device skill check when crafting an item they don't meet the spell requirements for (which will be almost all of them).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 02:37:53 pm by EveryZig »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2012, 02:40:11 pm »

Generally, we just buy/hand wave misc. equipment rather than make it. It's included in the cost of the item.

So, no need to get skill points in Craft:Decanters. :P

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12