Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: DnD Eberron, Using Maptool  (Read 31017 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DnD Eberron, Using Maptool
« on: June 02, 2012, 02:45:53 am »

I'm doing an 3.5 Eberron campaign on MapTool. I already have enough players, but if we need more, I'll edit this post.
That's all their is to it really, I don't have many HouseRules, except:

At first level, add 10 to your maximum HP, and instead of rolling for first level HP, just take the highest number you can roll with your class. Still add your constitution mod. though.

So, yeah. :D

I'm in Central Time, and I'm on summer break, so I can play anytime. I haven't really decided on a specific time, though.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 07:07:39 pm by UristMcDwarf »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DnD campain! woo.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 02:56:22 am »

The version probably isn't terribly important. We seem to have a broad enough group that you can pick what you want and there will either be people already familiar with it or people willing to torrent the manuals and read through them.

My suggestions would be:

* Follow through what you start. I've lost track of how many forum games I've invested countless hours into reading and downloading manuals, making characters, coming up with interesting backgrounds and writing up multiple pages worth of history and motivations...only to have the game end after 2-3 weeks because people flaked.
 * Try to get a group of players with roughly similar playstyle goals, both as each other and as you. It's can be frustrating for players when heavy roleplayers mix with hack and slash players. It can be frustrating for you when you spend 5 hours writing up an interesting scenario with a dozen well thought out npcs, only to get players who spend 5 hours minmaxing and show up on day one without character names, because it never occurred to them to think of their characters as anything other than a bunch of numbers. Get an idea of what kind of campaign you want to run and say so. Try to attract players of similar mindset.
 * Please try to not railroad your games. Roleplaying games are games, not storytelling sessions where you have a captive audience who sits and does what you tell them to do in between sessions of you telling them what happens after they do what you expect them to do. Players want to be able to do their own thing. By all means have an "adventure" in the sense of things going on in your world...but don't be too attached to the solutions players pursue or the outcomes. It's awful to have a party want to do something and then be told, "uhh...you can't because I didn't think you'd do that and the adventure is over there instead."
 * Try to find middle ground in number of players. 2-3 players means that if one person flakes on you, the campaign dies for lack of people. It's more difficult to get more players once a game is underway than it is at the beginning. But 6-8 players means that it takes way to long to get anything done, and hours can be spent by individual players every session simply waiting around for a chance to do something while everyone else does their thing. 4-5 is probably about right.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 02:57:52 am »

Good advice. but,
bro.
bro.
I wanted to know what campaign to run

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 03:00:31 am »

Good advice. but,
bro.
bro.

What campaign do YOU want to run?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 03:00:54 am »

-->

The version probably isn't terribly important.

Pick something you're familiar with.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 03:01:15 am »

As the GM, isn't coming up with a campaign your job?
Unless you mean setting? 3.5 Eberron isn't done overmuch. Might be a nice change.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 03:07:35 am »

As the GM, isn't coming up with a campaign your job?
Unless you mean setting? 3.5 Eberron isn't done overmuch. Might be a nice change.

HURR. Yeah, meant setting. was on the tip of my tougue.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 03:15:53 am »

Okay, i'm gonna do Ebberon, I found an adventure I like, wat do now? I'm so new to this. D:

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 04:00:21 am »

Okay, i'm gonna do Ebberon, I found an adventure I like, wat do now? I'm so new to this. D:

It would be helpful if you asked more specific questions.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 04:04:18 am »

I think he is asking for a play by play what do you do. It kinda makes this thread almost a bit more like asking how you even be a DM then it is a genuin call for players.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 04:05:52 am »

I think he is asking for a play by play what do you do. It kinda makes this thread almost a bit more like asking how you even be a DM then it is a genuin call for players.

I mean, the internet is confusing. I can't find maps, or nuffin. D:

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 04:08:08 am »

Advice to those new to online GM'ing: don't use maptools until you have a feel of things. It takes ages to set up properly if you know absolutely nothing.

Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 04:16:28 am »

I can't find maps

You'll probably need to make your own. Try downloading maptools and tinkering with it for a bunch of hours until you're comfortable with it.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 04:42:31 am »

It seems you've already decided on the setting; but if you are still open for suggestions, Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk are the more common ones, followed by Eberron; that is also the order for how highly powered each setting is. If you want something more uncommon, Ravenloft, the token evil setting, and Planescape might be worth a try.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 08:55:02 am »

If LordBucket were to join a campaign then I'd be very interesting.  My experience with him in my campaign has been pretty positive and I think it would be fun to play alongside him.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12