Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 62

Author Topic: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: No new update...yet  (Read 265336 times)

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: Major Mod (Update: Version 0.21)
« Reply #165 on: August 20, 2012, 10:56:12 pm »

As for languages, I actually had a few ideas for languages, including a Yoshi language that was mostly 'Yoshi' with some pat-perns, lum-buims, and woo-hoos mixed in, a Koopa language that was mainly repeating consonant-vowel pairs (noko, koko, muku, kaku, pata), and a Shy Guy language composed entirely of non-standard characters.  Unfortunately I don't have the patience to put together something like that, but if anyone else wants to, be my guest!

Would combinations of n(vowel) and k(vowel) with words ranging from 4 to 8 letters work good for the koopa's language. Cuz I got one that uses that.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6802

I used the DFLang utility. It is a neat program that takes a basis file of words and uses it to construct a language using any patterns it sees. It also has a feature so words in the same groups will have similar parts if you want to do that. It is here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=47332.0

I just typed up 100 different combinations of k(vowel) and n(vowel) and let the program do its work. I set the words to range from 4 to 8 but the tool noticed the pairing thing and only generated words with even numbers.

The Yoshi language is going to be a different story though. I'm also considering making a language file for the Shaman by using things like "sha-zooby", "shaa-zibby", "shazam", "pow", etc. for the base words. Not sure what it will look like on the other end though. For Bob-Ombs, sound effects (bang, boom, ban, fizz, sizz, etc) could be used to some kind of effect. The only problem with these is the tool's creator suggests using at least a hundred different base words.

After deleting the dragon, did the game gradually become as unstable as it was before?  If not, I'll presume that it's the source of the extreme crash tendency.

I mentioned before while the dragon was stopping me from flat out entering world gen, it still crashes often when the world is loading for use in fort, adv, or legends modes. I haven't had it crash during world gen though, but I notice it throws out a lot of worlds. So I don't think the dragon is the source of all the crashes, but there is something weird about it that world gen don't like.

I am curious about the  "Impoverished Word Selector" thing, I read somewhere else that it can be caused by limiting civs to too few naming options. Perhaps you could expand the theme naming of a couple of the entities and see if that clears up the error log, but like I said I'm not sure if the error is a critical one or not. The game still seems to run when it throws it so I don't think that is what is crashing it.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

"Impoverished word selector" just means that the world generator can't pick enough unique names for all of the things that need naming, which is a common problem when dealing with a large number of entities or limited theme naming, and this mod has both in spades.  I'm pretty sure that it's a non-critical error though, that if it occurs civs will just start giving names outside of their normal naming conventions.

As for the other crashes, I'm going to guess that something in the interactions is causing the problems.  I did change a lot of them around in this version, so it's not impossible that something there could be the cause, or possibly one of the 'special' creatures that many interactions are connected to.

That DFLang utility looks neat.  I'll check it out!

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile

Hey Fenix, when's the next release going to be up? :) Just wanna try a 100% 'shroom kingdom game (without any dwarves / elves.)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Once I get my computer back, hopefully sometime tomorrow, I'll put up a copy of the previous (stable) version, and I'll re-release this one again once I iron out the bugs.  I'll estimate the next day, but don't count on it.  Nice to see support :)

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile

I made a Shaman language, but I think I need to limit it a bit. I tried to get it using hyphens a lot and it worked, but some of the words are crazy long.
But some of the results are funny. It might need some slight modifications by hand though.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The real problem is that somehow a lot of this appears in the language...
[T_WORD:BALD:boobie-ming]
[T_WORD:BAR:boobie]
[T_WORD:BOIL:shaa-boobie]
[T_WORD:STRANGE:booby]

I think this one still needs some kind of tweaking before I call it done. I think I need to alter the roots file to get some words looking better.
And I need to cut down the length of some of the hyphenated words.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:49:14 pm by EmeraldWind »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

LOL at that Shaman language!  Though I was kind of imagining them as more dark and mysterious wizards than wacky stage magicians... also it would be nice if they tended to choose names that reflect the naming patterns of the Merlon clan (their naming conventions will be centered on scholarship and mystery).  They're a complex bunch though, so I'll probably end up using some of it.

Anyway I got a computer to work with, but it isn't mine, so no down-date back to stability today.  I'll get working on the bugfixes though and try to get a fix up as soon as possible.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile

LOL at that Shaman language!  Though I was kind of imagining them as more dark and mysterious wizards than wacky stage magicians... also it would be nice if they tended to choose names that reflect the naming patterns of the Merlon clan (their naming conventions will be centered on scholarship and mystery).  They're a complex bunch though, so I'll probably end up using some of it.

Anyway I got a computer to work with, but it isn't mine, so no down-date back to stability today.  I'll get working on the bugfixes though and try to get a fix up as soon as possible.

In the games, the Shamans always had rather goofy sounding chants. So that is what I tried to go with.

I also tried to get the Shaman sounding names in, but since mer was picked up as a root it doesn't pop up very often. I was think of manually insert mer as magic in the root file so that any word associated with magic has a chance of having mer in it. (Rather oddly magic is currently hoby,  but the roots don't pop up as much as I think they should.)

One case of a Shaman sounding name is    [T_WORD:WEED:merlimbie]. I'll always imagine Merlimbie as Merlon's pot-smoking hippie cousin now...
There's also [T_WORD:UNWELCOME:merpoo]. I guess he's the black sheep of the family...

All the names from the games were on my initial list so they are in the language: 
[T_WORD:SORROW:merluvlee] [T_WORD:ROMANCE:merlon] [T_WORD:EARLY:merlee]

Problem is they landed on words they don't fit. Except I kinda like merluvlee being sorrow that is kind of neat. Though I was figuring once I had got the language looking nicer and removed the boobies, I would put those name under appropriate meanings. For example, Merlon can be for sorcerer and Merlee can be for witch.

I found a couple other funny words though:
[T_WORD:WOMAN:whoobibie] - If you say it out loud it sounds like whoo baby.
[T_WORD:STRANGE:booby] - This pretty much sums up my thoughts on this weird language glitch.
[T_WORD:SOOTHE:zooshuttup]

Like I said, I think it needs some more work either way.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: Major Mod (Quasi-update: Version 0.201)
« Reply #172 on: August 23, 2012, 03:02:53 pm »

So... quasi-update-ish I guess...

I still haven't found what's causing the bugs and the 'fixes' don't make any sense.  Apparently removing a sufficient number of creatures from the creature_mw_special file (mostly creatures that only appear as a result of a transformation) stabilizes the game, though there doesn't seem to be any pattern concerning which creatures are removed.  So I just tossed out the ones that are the least critical to the game and called it a day.  Enjoy your ghost-free nights and non-murderous Surprise Cake for now.

Anyhow, this version is reasonably stable.  It still does the random-crash-on-mode-switch thing, but it works more than half the time, which is a big improvement over the last version, so I'll call it a fix until I can get a hold of a copy of 2.0 and start again from scratch.

I've included the whole set of raws this time: There are enough creatures and plants in the mod to abandon DF creatures altogether, though you might still prefer to keep some of the animals in, as animal diversity is still kind of on the low side.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - including Vanilla plants causes crashes.  No, there are no calls to any Vanilla plants in the modded files.  I think that whatever causes the crashes has to do with RAM overflow, but I have no idea how that works.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 24, 2012, 02:24:52 am »

So this is so unstable that even putting in too many new languages causes crashing... This mod has seriously got to be fixed.

Anyway I've been playing around with DFLang and now have a working Bob-omb, Koopa, and Shy Guy language.  The Bob-Omb language has various permutations of 'wipwobwibwibwipwibwip', with a few explosion-related phrases mixed in, and generally sounds like them, although the words can get a bit long and the names are hard to remember, but everyone just uses the translations anyway, right?  As for the Shy Guy language...

[T_WORD:BARBARIAN:!...(o_O)]
   [T_WORD:BUNNY:m(.^)]
   [T_WORD:ECHO:(^_^)...?]
   [T_WORD:GORE:....(o_O)]
   [T_WORD:MESS:!??......]
   [T_WORD:MESSIAH:...(^_^)]
   [T_WORD:POINTVERB:;-).....]
   [T_WORD:PRISTINE:..(*_*)!]
   [T_WORD:SPIDER:!!..('_;)]
   [T_WORD:SURPRISE:?..(x_x)?]
   [T_WORD:SWALLOW:!!.......]
   [T_WORD:VENOM:?!?!!?!?!]

The trick is to use single-letter find/replace to translate all non-standard characters into standard ones so that DFLang doesn't choke on them, then change them back afterwards.  Amazingly enough, DF has no problem with non-standard characters in languages (with the exception of ':', '[', and ']', which it needs to parse the language file itself).  Now that I know the theory is sound, I'll try doing it again with a logical root system.

EDIT: Adding the vanilla insects file improves stability.  Removing any creatures from the special file improves stability.  Removing the entity file improves stability.  Adding language files without removing an equal number of original languages causes a crash.  Adding vanilla plants cause a crash.  Removing megabeasts increases stability.  Nothing generates any errors.  Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 24, 2012, 05:48:56 am »

Another quasi-update.

This one is a bit more stable and also includes a few languages.  Also Boos and Surprise Cake are back in action.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 24, 2012, 11:48:09 am »

So this is so unstable that even putting in too many new languages causes crashing... This mod has seriously got to be fixed.

Anyway I've been playing around with DFLang and now have a working Bob-omb, Koopa, and Shy Guy language.  The Bob-Omb language has various permutations of 'wipwobwibwibwipwibwip', with a few explosion-related phrases mixed in, and generally sounds like them, although the words can get a bit long and the names are hard to remember, but everyone just uses the translations anyway, right?  As for the Shy Guy language...

[T_WORD:BARBARIAN:!...(o_O)]
   [T_WORD:BUNNY:m(.^)]
   [T_WORD:ECHO:(^_^)...?]
   [T_WORD:GORE:....(o_O)]
   [T_WORD:MESS:!??......]
   [T_WORD:MESSIAH:...(^_^)]
   [T_WORD:POINTVERB:;-).....]
   [T_WORD:PRISTINE:..(*_*)!]
   [T_WORD:SPIDER:!!..('_;)]
   [T_WORD:SURPRISE:?..(x_x)?]
   [T_WORD:SWALLOW:!!.......]
   [T_WORD:VENOM:?!?!!?!?!]

The trick is to use single-letter find/replace to translate all non-standard characters into standard ones so that DFLang doesn't choke on them, then change them back afterwards.  Amazingly enough, DF has no problem with non-standard characters in languages (with the exception of ':', '[', and ']', which it needs to parse the language file itself).  Now that I know the theory is sound, I'll try doing it again with a logical root system.

EDIT: Adding the vanilla insects file improves stability.  Removing any creatures from the special file improves stability.  Removing the entity file improves stability.  Adding language files without removing an equal number of original languages causes a crash.  Adding vanilla plants cause a crash.  Removing megabeasts increases stability.  Nothing generates any errors.  Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

The reason for the language one is probably due to the fact that unused languages still get used at random for location names not named by entities. I didn't realize that until I genned a new world and it used the Shaman language I made despite me not using it for their civ yet. So it might be loading a bunch of the languages pointlessly.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: Major Mod (Quasi-update: Version 0.202)
« Reply #176 on: August 24, 2012, 11:55:44 am »

Oddly enough, DF really can't handle letters like é. I had to make a file to reference accent marks and their symbol in the raws.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: Major Mod
« Reply #177 on: August 24, 2012, 09:53:34 pm »

Honestly, I think you should make bowser type koopas just a very rare caste.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: Major Mod
« Reply #178 on: August 24, 2012, 09:58:00 pm »

Honestly, I think you should make bowser type koopas just a very rare caste.

Any reason why?

I haven't played the fort mode, but so far as much as I can see the demon koopa megabeasts seem to work pretty well for legends and adventure mode.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 10:00:36 pm by EmeraldWind »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: Major Mod (Quasi-update: Version 0.202)
« Reply #179 on: August 24, 2012, 10:42:28 pm »

You can make it so that castes are so rare, they'll only show up as a certain noble. I did the same thing for Melkor and Sauron in the LOTR mod that seems to have died

(wait why did it die holy shit)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 62