Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 62

Author Topic: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: No new update...yet  (Read 265330 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: Major Mod (Down-date: Version 0.2)
« Reply #195 on: August 30, 2012, 12:09:35 am »

Oh, secrets were causing it? Here's a hint: any CREATURE_ACTIONs will crash if they have HIST_STRINGs.

There are a few others.

Nope, secrets weren't causing it.  Went through them, looked for errors, flat-out removed them and every mention of them throughout the files... no use, stability in this mod still seems to be a relative thing.  There must be some logic to it, but I haven't found the source of the problem.  Feel free to have a look yourself though!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 30, 2012, 02:03:36 pm »

This will be a useful tactic for future modders.

DF doesn't tend to shut down when it encounters an error, it simply keeps trying to run until it crashes and burns.  If something throws the parser out of whack, it'll keep going on its merry way, even if that means it'll start sticking materials and creatures where they shouldn't go, leading to the weirdness that happens due to duplicate raws.  I figured whatever the bug was here, it must be related somehow to this phenomenon: something that isn't listed among the illegal operations but throws the parser out of place so you get invincible bandits if you're lucky and crashes if you're not.

So I got a new idea: Instead of playing hit-or-miss and trying to find a pattern for how stable the game was, try to figure out how the game was loading the raws.  How?  Simple: deliberately introduce errors into the files and read the order they show up in the error log.  Turns out the game always loads the raws in the same order: inorganics, plants, tools, creatures, civs, and interactions, and within a type, it loads them in the order the files are arranged (alphabetically).

I couldn't figure out what was making the difference between whether the game loaded or crashed, but I did find that when it crashed, the error logs always stopped at the same creature group, no matter where they were placed.

It's the shellcreeper family sky-blue spinies/paraspinies.  They've been in since the very beginning, not making trouble, but ultimately setting up the stage for an inevitable crash later on.  Rather fitting, no?  Curse you, spiny blue shell!

Remove them and the game is 100% stable.  Problem solved!  (Still haven't figured out what the problem is exactly, but the whole shellcreeper family is kind of knotted together in order to avoid repetition, and it isn't hard to imagine that formerly unknown bugs could come from that kind of data structure.  I'll just give them their own separate section.)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 30, 2012, 02:07:17 pm »

WOOO HOOO!!!!
Nom nom nom

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 30, 2012, 02:28:20 pm »

DF doesn't tend to shut down when it encounters an error, it simply keeps trying to run until it crashes and burns.  If something throws the parser out of whack, it'll keep going on its merry way, even if that means it'll start sticking materials and creatures where they shouldn't go, leading to the weirdness that happens due to duplicate raws.  I figured whatever the bug was here, it must be related somehow to this phenomenon: something that isn't listed among the illegal operations but throws the parser out of place so you get invincible bandits if you're lucky and crashes if you're not.

So I got a new idea: Instead of playing hit-or-miss and trying to find a pattern for how stable the game was, try to figure out how the game was loading the raws.  How?  Simple: deliberately introduce errors into the files and read the order they show up in the error log.  Turns out the game always loads the raws in the same order: inorganics, plants, tools, creatures, civs, and interactions, and within a type, it loads them in the order the files are arranged (alphabetically).

I couldn't figure out what was making the difference between whether the game loaded or crashed, but I did find that when it crashed, the error logs always stopped at the same creature group, no matter where they were placed.

It's the shellcreeper family.  Remove them and the game is 100% stable.  Problem solved!

(Or rather not quite, I can't make a Mushroom Kingdom mod without shellcreepers.  But now I know where the problem is, and fixing it is only a matter of time now.  Expect a fixed update shortly.)

What the hell? Just the shell creepers? That is kind of hilarious.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #199 on: August 30, 2012, 02:33:37 pm »

-snip-

Nifty, and is mentally noted.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Update is up and running - wizardry, towers, curses and all!  As an added bonus, the skins of scaly Mushroom World creatures are now tannable!  Also a few other things which I probably forgot about!

You can use only the ROTMK raws if you want to have a 100% Mushroom World - there are enough plants and creatures to support a full game - or you can put them in with the vanilla DF files or alongside other mods if you want to play crossover... your choice!  Enjoy!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: Major Mod (Update: Version 0.22)
« Reply #201 on: August 31, 2012, 10:30:09 am »

New update!  This one adds a bunch of new creatures to fill up the emptier biomes (the temperate grasslands in particular).

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 02, 2012, 12:47:02 pm »

IT LOOKS LIKE IT'S GOING TO WORK!!!

Many thanks Fenix, this is gonna ROCK!!! :D

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 02, 2012, 01:10:37 pm »

Heh, time for adventure mode !!Fun!!
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 03, 2012, 12:55:34 am »

Hey Indigo! I got some good news!

I reinserted your dragon! I figured with how you explained the instability was being caused that perhaps the dragon was just easy to screw up if the parser was off.

They work. Boy! Do they work. I pitted two against each other in the arena and boy was that crazy.  :o

I dropped another in magma. And yeah...  :P These are what I call dragons.

EDIT: If you ever get a chance pit a dragon vs. a demon koopa. Much fun is had.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 01:21:43 am by EmeraldWind »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 03, 2012, 11:19:37 am »

Hey Indigo! I got some good news!

I reinserted your dragon! I figured with how you explained the instability was being caused that perhaps the dragon was just easy to screw up if the parser was off.

They work. Boy! Do they work. I pitted two against each other in the arena and boy was that crazy.  :o

I dropped another in magma. And yeah...  :P These are what I call dragons.

EDIT: If you ever get a chance pit a dragon vs. a demon koopa. Much fun is had.

Nice!  Could you upload/post it and its dependent files please (body plan and body detail plan)?  I accidentally deleted my backup copy and I'd rather not rebuild it from scratch, adjusting it was a pain, as you might have guessed...

Preview for future plans: I've got about 60-70 creatures I want to put in (over time), at least one new reaction or building for each of the three major races, some upgrades to the more boring civilized creatures that will make each one feel unique in Adventure mode, more segregated and defined biomes (once there's enough creatures to fill up each one), some Underworld surprises, and possibly some region reactions (Prankster Comets would be fun if I could figure out a good way to implement them).

P.S.: If Demon Koopas are causing trouble, give them a more reasonable ATTACK_TRIGGER token.  I made it zero thinking that it would prevent them from destroying your fortress, but instead it seems that they can show up at any time, and can be either 'friendly' (but will still knock down every building you set up) or 'uninvited guests' (which will burn your fortress to the ground before you even get a chance to start).

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 03, 2012, 12:52:48 pm »

Nice!  Could you upload/post it and its dependent files please (body plan and body detail plan)?  I accidentally deleted my backup copy and I'd rather not rebuild it from scratch, adjusting it was a pain, as you might have guessed...

Preview for future plans: I've got about 60-70 creatures I want to put in (over time), at least one new reaction or building for each of the three major races, some upgrades to the more boring civilized creatures that will make each one feel unique in Adventure mode, more segregated and defined biomes (once there's enough creatures to fill up each one), some Underworld surprises, and possibly some region reactions (Prankster Comets would be fun if I could figure out a good way to implement them).

Here ya go: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6872
(I guess its a good thing I keep all the old archives for DF related stuff.)

I just copied and pasted the dragon and its necessary parts to the newer version's text files, so these are consistent with .22.

The dragons are pretty tough and unlike standard DF dragons these ones tend to live through world gen. That said though, I think you should bump up the life-span of some of the other megabeasts as they tend to die out pretty early due to old age or at least make it so they reproduce more often. Giant Chomps never seem to have kids and tend to die between 70 and 90 years in.

I'm looking forward to see what you put in.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 14, 2012, 10:09:32 am »

So!  Next update is here, and it's a pretty big one.

First off...Power Stars.  Every once in a while, your miners or gatherers will uncover star pieces, and Toads can now create a Star Beacon, which allows them to fuse the star pieces into Power Stars.  The Star Beacon can produce a number of effects, and the more Power Stars you gather, the stronger your fort will become.  Power Stars are not used up in these reactions, only broken into their component Star Pieces, and most of the reactions affect your entire fort... for a whole year.  Mind, it'll take a while to collect enough for the really big effects... the highest level power requires 77(!) of them.  You can also collect Power Stars in other ways: by defeating megabeasts or by raising Lumas to maturity (this can only be done on Good-aligned mountains where Star Bits are found).  Only Toads can utilize Stars in this manner, although Koopas and Shy Guys can still use them to increase the value of their fort...or melt them down and produce powerful weapons.  (Toads can do this too, but as a melted star can't be restored, it probably isn't worth it.)

For the Koopas, metal-based pets and creatures now have a new use: you can butcher them and melt down their shells for extra metal.  Tap-taps generally produce 2 copper bars, Buzzy Beetle shells produce 1 bronze bar, and Chomps can produce up to nearly 20 bars of iron at full size (assuming you want to slaughter your Chomp, that is).  They can also make a new ranged weapon, the Bullet Bill Blaster.  It's heavy and fires slow but deals great damage and knockback.

Shy Guys can now make bonfires.  Just 'cause.  And since they're already a kind of cheat mode as far as fortress-building is concerned, if the game gets boring you can now up the ante by producing useless, but absurdly valuable, Subcon Crystals.  That should bring on the sieges quick enough!

Speaking of sieges, the adventure-only races are now a lot more interesting.  Each of them has something unique to offer as an adventurer, and their attacks on fortresses are more threatening than before.  Frog People now produce poison like their wild Frogog cousins, Mole People have extravision and claws like daggers, Bub-ulbs can spread sleep- and dizziness-inducing pollen, and Bumpties will resist blunt attacks while they gradually penguin-slap their enemies to death.

Plant and fungus creatures now have more realistic and detailed anatomy.  Bean-based creatures have a tough seed-coat, for instance, and most plant creatures now have edible parts.  And before you ask, a hymenium is the part of the mushroom underneath the cap, where the spores are held.  They function as brains and can be gouged.  Also, plants, animals, and fungi each have different syndrome classes now, so certain creatures will be immune to diseases that others are not (for instance, Toads are immune to most venomous bites and stings, but are susceptible to the Blorbs and transformations.)

All the civs are more segregated in worldgen and tend to build in specific biomes.  So when you're wandering the wilds and run into creatures like Beanies and the like, you'll know that the town over the horizon is probably Beanish, and if you're in a barren wasteland you're more likely to find Koopa fortresses.  (The only problem with this system is that sometimes civs tend to wind up 'trapped' by unfavorable regions, preventing their spread, and can sometimes leave vast sections of the planet uninhabited, depending on the world's shape.  Usually all of the major races end up on one continent, leaving the smaller continents to around one to four races...which isn't such a great loss, seeing as how there are only four main races in DF to begin with.)  Humans have more of a presence now, by the way.  They'll tend to build their major kingdoms in deserts but can also show up elsewhere from time to time.

And lots of new creatures, of course - enough to make each biome different, and each game a new experience.  Most of the new creatures are from the RPGs, though there are a few surprises too.

Only one new secret this time around - it's called the Star Beam (AKA Smite Evil).  Now the night will know why it fears you.  (It works on demons too!)

Have fun!

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: Major Mod (Update: Version 0.23)
« Reply #208 on: September 14, 2012, 12:15:19 pm »

Just wanted to say that this is simply awesome and I love the amount of work you are putting into this Indigo!  :D
Nom nom nom

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: Major Mod (Update: Version 0.23)
« Reply #209 on: September 14, 2012, 12:21:27 pm »

:D YAY! Downloading now. I'm going to have fun with this!

Edit: So far so good. I had a rather successful adventure. I got destroyed by a bunch of skulking goombas and their cheiftess, though. I had some fire flowers with me and was able to take out a few.

I also found a boss in a dungeon wielding a star hammer and a star shield. Though I checked out the star metal, it doesn't appear to make for good hammers, but it was light so I kept it.

Also I was a little surprise when I killed my first goomba. I didn't expect the sporeplosion.

One thing of note, Tryclides have a max age between 20 and 30. Is that intentional because they tend to die out ridiculously early?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 01:38:52 pm by EmeraldWind »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 62