Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407217 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #3060 on: April 11, 2017, 01:54:27 pm »

Here's a few pitches I plan on eventually doing something with:

A galactic criminal is hiding out on modern-day Earth, the government sends a number of agents in Earthling disguise to hunt them down. Possibly done in rounds, with the criminal having a different secret project each time. Players have the liberty of designing their operative and method of disguise.

Demons lurk inside the internet, and a chosen few fight them by combining video games with a certain spell to create avatars. Each demon has their own MO and methods for defeating it. Possibly the same setting as that spirits game I once tried to run.

Ambiguous large 1st world country. In times past, werewolves used to be shoved into asylums, but the government has been taking a more progressive approach. They are allowed to live in the general population, but under close supervision. Each werewolf is assigned a case worker who helps them live safely and secretly, and who is charged with "cleaning up" in the event their assignee is compromised.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: April 11, 2017, 11:00:57 pm »

Ssssooooo.... I've been gone a while... I guess... and I'm back, mostly, not quite the same person but mostly the same. Older?
And I have had a game idea.

Mechanical Core of the game
You have four "limbs", which can perform actions simutaneously. Right-Arm, Left-Arm, Stance, and Spellwork. The actions which can be performed by these limbs all share the following traits:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Further more, many moves (not all) have the following:
Rules/FAQ
Character Sheet

Equipment(WIP, will probably be moved to a google doc for final version)
Armor: Nudity/near Nudity (WIP)
Armor: Iron-Studded Leather (WIP)
Weapon: Rapier (WIP)

That all sounds needlessly complex and more fitting for a PC game than a forum game. Too much stuff to keep track of, too much detailed information. In that game I don't see the benefits of having a human GM. But that's me, I think I have seen mechanically complex games here before too so it may work.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: April 12, 2017, 01:34:11 am »

Here's the benefit: players can take over for the GM once they learn the system; if their thinking time would be over before tell time, or the decision is being made simutaneously, they would need to PM the GM or put their actions in a spoiler, but in all other cases they could resolve the move themselves. The GM would still need to determine matchups and match rewards once a victor has been decided, and if spells use dice then they'd need to for those results, but otherwise very little is needed.

Let's say there are two players in a fight. One is nude (Player A), the other is wearing iron-studded leather(Player B), and they both have a rapier (because that's all I've made so far); player A has it in his right hand, and player b has it in his left. It's the start of the match, and they started a distance of 50 away. The match starts with them making a simultaneous decision, and then proceeds from there:

So yes, it IS too needlessly complex. Darn it.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: April 12, 2017, 02:12:39 am »

For me best part of the forum games is the story GM and players tell together. Game mechanics are entirely secondary concern, but can be used to introduce fun and chaotic twists to take the story into new unpredictable and interesting directions.

And as a GM that's source of my endless frustration: I come up with neat mechanics, work them out on paper and then end up wondering what the hell I'm actually going to do with it, what's the reason for the system to exist and ultimately dump them somewhere, probably into trashbin.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: April 12, 2017, 08:06:30 am »

Ssssooooo.... I've been gone a while... I guess... and I'm back, mostly, not quite the same person but mostly the same. Older?
And I have had a game idea.

Mechanical Core of the game
You have four "limbs", which can perform actions simutaneously. Right-Arm, Left-Arm, Stance, and Spellwork. The actions which can be performed by these limbs all share the following traits:
Further more, many moves (not all) have the following:
Rules/FAQ
Character Sheet

Equipment(WIP, will probably be moved to a google doc for final version)
Armor: Nudity/near Nudity (WIP)
Armor: Iron-Studded Leather (WIP)
Weapon: Rapier (WIP)

You and me should get together some time and make a baby. The most mechanically complex baby ever conceived.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: April 12, 2017, 10:11:40 pm »

http://pantaloonacy.freeforums.org/onslaught-clash-of-nations-t160.html

Link to thread I tried my war/ arms deal. They were not keen on it.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: April 13, 2017, 04:56:13 pm »

Link to thread I tried my war/ arms deal. They were not keen on it.

Not to be scathing, but I am not surprised - nor would you fare much better with it on here.
You put in more options and complexity, than 3/4 of modern strategy games have. Contained in a forum game, without any "makeup" like colourful / advanced formating or graphics, either.
If you'd have put up all that tech for research throughout the course of the game, with only some sort of "starting tech" visible, people might be more interested - but "pick the 40 techs of your ww2 faction", is already extremely tedious from the get-go. The resulting game also seems like it would take months to play, which shies away people even further - be it because they don't think they can invest that much time themselves, or because they rightfully doubt many others would stick with it for long.

Simply put, you made it far too overwhelming, with little appeal. For most, it would seem like a waste to invest time. At that point, it doesn't matter how good the game actually might be, as people won't even give it a chance. I'd be surprised if more people read through all of it, than you spent hours writing it up.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: April 13, 2017, 04:59:27 pm »

True true. That was attempt once. Which is time consuming and I have played it with real life people. Took about seven weeks to finish as a different thing was used. That was just tech tree. I was thinking of changing the system around to be more forum friendly. And if I had graphics in this phone I would have used it.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: April 13, 2017, 05:20:49 pm »

You and me should get together some time and make a baby. The most mechanically complex baby ever conceived.
Someone should sig this.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: April 13, 2017, 06:26:22 pm »

I bet Draig says that to all the other girls, too.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: April 13, 2017, 09:58:44 pm »

Here's a few pitches I plan on eventually doing something with:

A galactic criminal is hiding out on modern-day Earth, the government sends a number of agents in Earthling disguise to hunt them down. Possibly done in rounds, with the criminal having a different secret project each time. Players have the liberty of designing their operative and method of disguise.

Demons lurk inside the internet, and a chosen few fight them by combining video games with a certain spell to create avatars. Each demon has their own MO and methods for defeating it. Possibly the same setting as that spirits game I once tried to run.

Ambiguous large 1st world country. In times past, werewolves used to be shoved into asylums, but the government has been taking a more progressive approach. They are allowed to live in the general population, but under close supervision. Each werewolf is assigned a case worker who helps them live safely and secretly, and who is charged with "cleaning up" in the event their assignee is compromised.
All three concepts sound really interesting for sure, but the werewolf one piqued my interest the most. I'm not exactly sure why though. Maybe the idea of not having a character antagonist, but rather the werewolfism affliction, makes it stand out from the other two. Well actually, I guess for sure the duality of aiding the werewolf dudes live normalish lives and action/drama of something going awry is very appealing. It sounds like the police ideal to serve and protect combined with werewolves, but at the same time the game can take on plenty of other themes and tones. (I don't want to narrowcast the idea or anything, just went on a bit of a slight tangent.)

Have any thoughts on whether they'd be roleplaying or suggestion games? If roleplaying, I could see the first and second ones easily being competitive games with opposing sides and the third one possibly being either mission-based and focused on clean-ups or having players choose between taking the role of a case worker or a werewolf.
Max avatar size is 80x80

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: April 13, 2017, 10:04:05 pm »

@Hugo:Video game fighting?  Want.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: April 14, 2017, 07:44:08 am »

I bet Draig says that to all the other girls, too.

Only the ones that confuse me.

Which, in all honesty, explains a great about my current life situation.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: April 14, 2017, 10:13:32 am »

I have a strong urge to apply hugs to Draignean right now.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: April 14, 2017, 10:29:36 am »

I have a strong urge to apply hugs to Draignean right now.

Nah, I'm happy with my current life situation. Euphoric, on most days.

One should endeavor to always be confused by life. I pity the man who clearly understands the world and everything in it.

Life is messy and confusing, but it's best to find someone to be confused with. That way you have someone to hide with after you poke life with a stick and it jiggles a little too menacingly.

//OffTopic
---
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 238